Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #106  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Height: 5'7

Yay for being normal!!!

I just did a lot of cardio over the recovery week. I didn't necessarily "rest" or anything, but it was kind of a nice break from the hard go-go-go of the program.
pokeycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Great work girls! I have 12 more days left of the shred and then I think I may be headed over here as soon as I'm done. I hope P90 isn't too hard for me. I keep up with the shred very well with 5 pound weights...

I have one question though. Do you HAVE to have the pull up bar? My apartment has unconventional doors (they go all the way up to the ceiling) So it looks like I will not have a place for the pull up bar. How important is it that I have the bar? Would P90x still be worth it?

Thanks!
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #108  
Writer. Often pantsless.

There should be some kind of modification you can do...maybe google it? Otherwise, maybe you could sub out a different disc instead of the Legs/Back dvd. That's the only one that I know of with pullups - LeopardSpots has nearly finished the program though, so she could tell you if there are other discs with a lot pullups.

But definitely try it! I like the program a lot.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #109  
Restart Date: 1/01/2020

S/C/G: 246.2/TICKER/140

Height: 5'4"

Shy,

I did not find the pull-up bar necessary. I think that you can get buff doing all of the other exercises in the program because their is so much variety. They have ways of modifying the pull-up exercises with a band. I use the band for those exercises and have seen great results. Its totally worth it even without the pull-up bar. The legs/back and the chest/back dvd require it the most, but if you do the lean program, chest/back doesn't happen till the last phase, and again, you can sub it.

I am very happy. I have 5 days left! Unbelievable. I've not weighed in for 4 days, but I'm sure I'm down another pound. I had lost 31 lbs and 2 sizes at the end of 14 weeks. I can't wait to do it all over again!

How is your progress Pokey? What do you think of it?
leopardspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks Pokey and Leopard! You two are such great inspiration, 31 pounds is AMAZING.

I'm going to order this today, and hopefully it will arrive by the time I'm done with The 30-day shred. Sorry for all the questions, but when you say the lean program, is that a different (specific) set of dvd's, or just a different rotation of them?

Also, I have 3 and 5 pound hand weights, what else do you recommend I purchase for this?
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #111  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Shy, I moved away from my 5 pound weights fairly quickly - I am in week 5 and am already up to 10s, 12s, and 15s depending on the move. Buying the P90X program will cover you for Lean, Classic, etc. It's like 12 (13? 14? I can't remember!) discs, and you use the one designated for you for that day. Katie had posted the Lean schedule on her very first post of this thread. I've done a lot of Shred, and REALLY like P90X. I feel like I'm getting good results.

Leopard, I haven't weighed myself for a few weeks (I get scale crazy and do more damage than good), but my clothes are definitely getting looser. And, like I said, I'm up to 15 pound weights for some of the moves, and so I'm definitely getting stronger and more toned. I don't feel like the Plyo, Cardio and Kenpo dvds are enough cardio for me, and so I've completely subbed them out - I go to Spin class on the mornings I should be doing those dvds. I hope I'm not doing myself any damage by subbing in Spin for Plyo/Cardio/Kenpo...what do you think? My heart rate gets higher and stays higher longer than with any of those dvds.

I also do an extra cardio workout at night on the days when I can. I'm hoping that when I weigh myself on 11/1, I'll be 199 or lower. I'm on week 5, so on 11/1, I'll be on week 8. Here's hoping!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #112  

Pokey,

I am scale crazy too. Thats why I weigh in once a week, twice max. I plan on doing the shred in January after I have done my second round of P90x. I have not plateaued at all and am getting results so I am gonna stick with it.

I doubt you are doing any harm by subing the cardio dvds. I think as long as you are working hard and not plateauing that is all that matters. I sub the Yoga and the Plyo. I injured my foot doing that, so I won't try it again until phase 3 of my next round. I walk/job 3-6 miles, at least 3 times a week as well to make sure I get enough cardio and calorie burn.

I agree about getting strong. I use 15s now too! Crazy.

Shy,

Don't worry about the questions. Thats why we joined a forum! Once you get the DVD's you won't regret it. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your results!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #113  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I did a month of "regular" and I TOTALLY like "lean" better... It's more cardio, and I love me some cardio... As far as the pull up bar, I'll be using the bands that came with my set.

After I finish this "lean" one, I'm going to do the 6 week BL boot camp, and then do another "lean" one... Which should put me way way WAY closer to my goal. I'm hoping to like, take off the big winter clothes next spring and reveal new-smaller-me, like a butterfly, lol... If I get good results with it, I'll keep doing it till I'm happy (and then keep doing it in maint!) WOO!

kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #114  
Writer. Often pantsless.

I'm definitely hoping I see the kind of results you have, leopard. With as difficult as the program is, I don't see how I won't. I am also sticking to ~1500 calories per day and have done pretty well with the exception of a few higher days here and there (oh weekends, you kill me). With that combo, I think I'm going to see some good results by the time I get on the scale in a few weeks here.

Katie - I'm kind of excited for swimsuit season again, which actually starts around March here. I would love love love to look nice in a swimsuit!!! AND, I have that wedding looming over my head in June - my arms are going to look fab in the strapless dress from all of the pushups I've been doing
Old 10-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #115  

Kate, I think that you will get the results you want in no time. I definitely think lean is better for women. I don't think I get enough cardio on the lean as is.

Pokey, 1500 cals is good. I doubt that you having a few high days hurts you. Its ok to kick up our cals a bit on some days so we don't plateau. I know what you mean about swimsuit season. I used to live in Tempe. Fortunately I have a few extra months to get myself into shape. Unless I take a vacation!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #116  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Tempe, no way! I live in East Mesa, work in North Scottsdale. And I'm jealous that you're experiencing fall right now - we're supposed to hit 100+ again tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #117  

Yeah, I lived in AZ for 18 months. I'm Canadian actually so it was an insane culture shock moving there in July. Unbelievable heat. I never knew that spiders could "hop" or that scorpions could float on the wind and that they lived in Palm trees and could drop on you... Don't get me wrong, there isn't anything wrong with AZ, but I prefer snow to poisonous insects and 2nd degree burns from your car...I missed the changing of the seasons. And walking around in bare feet, a no-no there. One of the things I loved was how people got so into Christmas there. Lights on cactus, fake snow on lawns, and flamingos pulling sleighs...Hahaha.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #118  
is super awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeycactus
Katie - I'm kind of excited for swimsuit season again, which actually starts around March here. I would love love love to look nice in a swimsuit!!! AND, I have that wedding looming over my head in June - my arms are going to look fab in the strapless dress from all of the pushups I've been doing
Me too! Mine won't start until early June of 2011, lol, but I'm still excited! Even if I have the extra skin issues, I'll be okay, because I'll be healthier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardspots
Kate, I think that you will get the results you want in no time. I definitely think lean is better for women. I don't think I get enough cardio on the lean as is.
I hope so. I'm adding cardio via jogging 2 times a week. I do that mostly for the stress though... It helps me feel so much better!

And I'm SO glad its fall! Soon enough it will be winter, and I LOVE WINTER!!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #119  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Leopard - yep, we have all of that!!!! I moved here in July too, and actually, it seems like most people that move here come in the summer. I lived in Northwest Washington (just south of Vancouver, BC, actually!) up in the mountains, and I will say that when my sisters are complaining of digging out their cars from all of the snow in the winter and I'm outside, enjoying the sunshine, I don't mind it so much!

I am MISERABLE this week from P90X. I think the recovery week is just to make you super sore the following week!!! But I'm back to the ol' can't cough or sneeze because my abs hurt, and sitting down anywhere takes careful planning!!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #120  
is super awesome.

Oh noes!! I'm not looking forward to that at all, lol.