Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #91  

Hi ladies --

I got myself all psyched up for a leisurely 6 mile run this afternoon, but as the morning progressed, I started getting that feeling in the back of my throat that means a cold is coming on. Now I'm feeling a little run down. So, do I
a) Suck it up and do the 6 miles anyway,
b) Knock my run down to 3 or 4 miles, or
c) Have a cup of tea and take a nap?

I am determined to get through this winter without getting sick, but I'm also on a roll with the running and don't want to mess that up. What would you do?

Thanks!
Veerie
Veerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:14 PM   #92  

Veerie, I had the same thing going on yesterday morning. But, I know me, and I knew if I got out of routine, it would make it easier to stay out of routine. So, I took some "airborne", sucked it up, and when for my run. And, I'm sooo glad I did. It is, however, very individual. If you do decided to go, I would stop if you start to feel bad in any way.
LOVE2C135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:14 PM   #93  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Veerie -- I'd go with a.5, does that make sense? I'd try to go for the 6 miles but if I got weak by mile 5 I'd take it easy, specially if you don't have a fever ... Take your vitamins... I've been taking Glutamine in the last couple of years and I haven't gotten a cold yet this winter and last year I got a very small one just before Christmas ... Keep your running roll going ! Good luck!

Yesterday I ran 6.5K in 50 mins!! Good grief I feel like I was getting slower rather than faster in my runs lately! I'll have to work on that... Today no run I am leaving soon for the gym to do a good shoulder workout...

TTFN...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:50 PM   #94  

Height: 5'7"

Veerie, I'd try to find a route with an early bail-out point, try the run, see how you feel, and bag it early if it feels tough. If it feels good, then finish. Have a good run, and stay well.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #95  

Thanks for all of the good advice! I compromised...sort of. By the time I got home from work I was wiped out, so I took the dogs for a nice 45 minute snowshoe and then came home, had a cup of tea, and took a nap. It wasn't the same as running, but it was fresh air and I didn't overdo it. I figure after a good night's sleep tonight, I should be back on track tomorrow.

Hope you all are staying well!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #96  
Giving it a try (again)

I ran my 9.5K on Wednesday and then only 7K yesterday. Today I am planning to run 6.5K but I might leave it till tomorrow. It just depends on my mood.

Sunday will be 14.5K again and that should really help with the weight loss.

Today was my weigh in and I was down 2 lbs
fannie~annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:11 AM   #97  
singletrack chick

veerie, good to see you made a compromise and rested up a little.

today is my fifth day of marathon training and its my first rest day. YEY!!!!!! my favorite day of the week. hehehehe. my four mile yesterday was ok, but i started getting a rub on the arch of my foot whcih threw off my stride a little a tired me out much quicker than normal. tomorrow i go four miles again and it should be sunny and about 60F here so it should be a lovely run. i can't wait.

so it seems like a lot of you run without music. i think i'll give it a try. my music motivates me to go just a little farther, or faster. i used to run without thougha dn it gave me a lot of much needed thinking time. thanks for the input.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #98  

Goodmorning. I made it to the gym this a.m. for 2.87mi in 30 minutes. My time is slowly getting better. Since I only have 30 minutes during the weekday, I'm focusing on speed. I guess it makes it a little more interesting.

Fannieannie - Good job on the loss! I can't wait for the scale to be my friend again...

Hope you all have a great weekend!
LOVE2C135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:36 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I did my couch 2 5 k thing three days this week. I'm kind of impressed with the fact that ... me ... yes me ... is actually progressing.

You all are quite inspiring.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #100  

Woo-hoo! Go Susan! I actually think that starting up running in the first place was harder than my marathon training. My most prized finisher's medal is the medal from the first 5K I ever did. I worked SO hard for that--I couldn't run 30 sec in a row when I started. What you are doing now is very inspiring to me!

Anne
Old 02-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #101  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Day off running today. Went walking downtown this afternoon looking at the snow scuptures at Carnivale. Then after picking up ds from school, I went skating. I "only" fell 5 or 6 times in the course of 6km. The last one hurt the most though. I somehow managed to hurt my knee, elbow and knock the wind out of me all at the same time. Along with the sore hip from an earlier fall, I should have a fun run tomorrow am. Tigerbalm is going to be my friend this evening. I think maybe I should stick to walking and biking (when it thaws out around here) as cross training. I guess I could handle swimming too--water hurts less in its melted state.

Susan, I did the c25k program last summer, and I remember the same feeling of amazement that I was actually running for longer and longer periods of time.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #102  

Laura, I think I missed the earlier part of this conversation, so just to put my $.02 in, I love running with music (unless I'm trail running). I think it helps me go farther faster and it never fails to put me in a good mood. I think the important thing is to do whatever motivates you!

Sounds like everyone is doing great! Nice to be amongst such positive people!
Old 02-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #103  
Ilene the Bean

Hey gang glad to see everyone running so well... I took yesterday off from running, I went to the gym for 30 mins, but it was a hard 30 mins... Today was gorgeous out 2C, almost dang balmy, but I could not make it out ...I went out and got an small sport radio, I really don't like my MP3, I know it's silly, I have to change th music too often, and since I know didly about music I got a radio instead... at least I can listen to the news, the commercials and have a better variety of music... I just started running outside with music before I was worried about dogs and traffic, but I just put the volume lower instead low enough so I can at least hear my foot steps and the traffic, so I feel ok about having music now... I do prefer to have music though, I really hate to hear my breathing for some reason ...

Other than that not much else...

Have a nice weekend everyone

Last edited by Ilene; 02-04-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #104  

Due to a medical situation (a family members, not mine) I haven't been to the gym in about two weeks. Finally got back there today. Went back to week one of C25K and plan on doing it all next week. Why did my workout today seem harder than it did last time I started? Odd. And I weigh about 6 pound less, so it should be easier. Perhaps it just feels harder because it was starting to feel easier before this break. It felt great anyway.
DebbieJRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #105  

Good for you Debbie! It's always good to see people get back on the wagon. Hang in there, it'll get easier again as your body remembers.

Did a 6.2 mile run/walk this morning. It is amazing how hard it is to catch my breath. I did it in about 1:25 today--pre-pg was usually about 1:10-1:15 for that loop, it's pretty hilly. Not so bad. I'm not having any problems listening to my body. In fact my body is vetoing anything too tough. It's just not gonna happen!

Hope everybody has a good run and a great day!

Anne