Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-13-2005, 10:40 PM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

You can pick up a marathon training plan at either www.runnersworld.com or www.coolrunning.com. I've been building up my mileage over the last year, and the amount of time it takes to train probably depends on your base mileage. My only advice is to build really slowly. I wasn't able to run the first marathon I trained for because I got a stress fracture in my foot at pretty much the last minute.

I don't mind mornings so much, but I HATE cold. That is the worst!
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:49 AM   #17  
Ilene the Bean

I don't mind mornings either I used to get up at 4:30am to go to the gym, did this for quite a ew years when the kiddies were young and the only time I had to workout was before DH left for work at 7am... I don't even mind the -15C weather we've had to run in, it's quite refreshing to say the least...

I did 4K in the afternoon yesterday because it was so dang I had to get outside and take advantage of the 15C weather... Last night I went out with a teacher from school we did 8k, it was 8C with a nice breeze the wind wasn't bad here till around 10pm... I enjoyed having a partner I was surprised I could actually talk and run at the same time ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:50 AM   #18  
singletrack chick

well its 6:45 and i am getting ready to go out for a run. i usually don't run this early but i missed my runyesterday so i am having to squeeze one in today. yesterday morning it was 70 degrees. this morning its 32 feels like 24. AHHHHH. thats what i get for skipping my regular day i guess. oh well. besides the annoyance of a runny nose, i love running in the cold. hope everyone has a good day.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:18 PM   #19  

It is REALLY had to get motivated to run these days here in hilly, icy New Hampshire, so I finally bit the bullet and bought a treadmill. Now I have absolutely no excuse not to run. I think I'm going to shoot for a half marathon in the spring -- I did one a few years ago and really enjoyed the training. Always nice to have a goal.

I'm so glad you started this thread -- it's easier for me to get pysched up for running when I read what other people are doing!
Veerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #20  

I'd like to join this thread even though I am a runner wannabe. That means that I can only walk now!! What is the couch-2-5 program? Will google it to see. Right now, I'm on the treadmill at the gym and walk 1 1/2 -2 miles in 30 minutes. I just started and am trying for 5 times a week. Every once in a while I try to run for 30 seconds and think I will die. I also started tennis lessons last week and at least I can hit the ball. Ok it went into the next court, but I hit it LOL. The cardio needs improving there as well. All the suggestions here were great. Should I go for the good shoes at this point or wait until I can actually run? Feel a little silly at this point. Thanks.
beachlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:58 AM   #21  
singletrack chick

kelley, go ahead and get some good shoes, they will be motivatin to run. also, when you are on the treadmill try running for ten to 15 sec. at a time but do it every three to five minutes of your walk and build up from there. you don't want to let yourself get completely out of breath, first because it is discouraging, second because it is tiring, and third because if you are new, it can be slightly embarassing. the last thing you need to feel when excercising is self concious.

i still think that self conciousness is what keeps so many people from running. it took me a long time to even feel relatively rythmatic while running and i don't know if i'll ever feel graceful while doing it.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:58 AM   #22  

I would definitely go for the shoes! I always find new gear to be motivating (sort of like, "Well, I bought these, so I guess I have to go ahead and use them...") Also, having the right shoes can make running a lot more pleasant. Besides, tennis? the gym? running? You're an athlete already and need the right equipment!

Veerie
Veerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:20 AM   #23  
Ilene the Bean

I love new gear too... Yes, definitely go for some new shoes... Take your time working up to speed like Laura said and you'll be fine in no time you'll feel like a pro... Don't get discouraged....
Old 01-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #24  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Kelley: I agree with everyone else, get new shoes. Not only will they be motivation to continue, but they'll make a huge difference comfort-wise while running, and reduce your risk of injury considerably if they're properly fitted and the right kind for you.

Here's my latest adventure of running in the frozen north. I finally managed to get out for a run this am after a 24hr stomach bug finally finished its trek through my 5 person household (took from Tuesday night to Saturday morning for all of us to succumb and then recover). The weather's also been a bit crazy here the past few days, with snow, freezing rain, rain, and another dusting of snow. But this morning was about -15C, clear sky with the sun starting to come up, no wind. Beautiful if you're dressed warmly. The path that was hard packed snow with decent traction on Tuesday morning, is now rough ice with smooth patches, an occasional super thin layer of snow, and a token amount of gravel spread here and there. So to start I had to slow down from my normal pace. Then about 2km or so into my run I managed to fall, and had to walk a couple of minutes while my ankle recovered (I didn't see anyone around to laugh at me at least and it wasn't a real injury). After that things were going well, if slowly, and I decided to add a bit more of the path to extend the 8km run I did last week. In doing so, I managed to discover the only .5km of the 9.27km path that is not ploughed out in winter. Stupidly, rather than just run back the way I came, I tried to slog through it. And ended up first running on the edge of the creek/river briefly, then gingerly walking across the snow. Trying to run sank me knee deep in the snow, which had a thick crust on it, while walking carefully usually only sank me ankle deep. I was very happy to get back to the ploughed out section again and run the final 2km home. So, for my troubles this am, I added an extra 1.25km to my route from last Sunday, and about 15-20 minutes. Oh well, next time I want to run further, I'll just run around my usual part of the path a second time.

Ilene--I agree that if you're already running 8k at a time a 10k race wouldn't be much of a problem for you tomorrow. The extra adrenaline of a race and running with other people would no doubt carry you through the extra 2k.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:09 PM   #25  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks for the encouraging words about doing a 10K ... I just may try it this spring or summer because now I feel confident of myself......

Only me -- You're right I'm sure about running with someone and running better and/or faster... This week I ran with someone and the time flew by and I didn't even notice I did 8K!
Old 01-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #26  

Thank you all for the responses. No one has to tell me twice to go shopping. off to the store tomorrow I go! Have been sidelined with some vicious cold bug and only feel sort of ok today. Tomorrow will hit the gym and see how I feel. Love the suggestion to run 15-20 seconds every couple of minutes. Better than having my lungs hanging out You guys are a true inpiration!
beachlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:29 AM   #27  
cac

Hi everyone,

I have been laid up with a sore throught and cold for the fast five days. I have done nothing but sleep and read. To dya I get back to the gym and run 3 miles on the tredmill. I have a 7 mile race on Saturday and I am not sure if I am prepared. I signed up for the race to keep me motivated in the winter.

Hope allis well with everyone
cac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:06 AM   #28  

Good morning!

Thanks for the marathon link! I've jsut been doinf iles everyday lately. I had to go inside for the first time since I got back to school sicne it was -10 F with wind chill...brrr...but since I was busy ill 8ish I ended up gettign to the gym at peak time and it was sooooo busy with people who don't knwo their proper track manners..oh well Time to go to class and errands and the gym!

Happy Tuesday!
HokieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:56 PM   #29  

Hi Runners!

Tomorrow morning is my first post-marathon run. I've been swimming, biking, & lifting already so this is the next step. Forty minutes scheduled which is usually about 3.5 mi for me. We'll see how it goes-wish me luck. I'm posting tonight for some public accountability. That couch has been feeling mighty good lately.

Anne
Old 01-19-2005, 07:43 AM   #30  

OK, I did it! Before 6 a.m. no less. The run felt pretty good. The first mile was slow, but the rest was more or less on my normal pace for that route. All the little pains that I developed during the marathon resurfaced after about the 2nd mile, so I still have some recovery to do. Next run is Saturday, for about an hour, 5-6 miles (just less than 10K).

Anne