Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 09:01 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Cool Cool Runners #18 -- September '05

Hey Runners -- -- A new month and ALREADY September!!! Good grief time flies!!

Well I ran only 5k this morning, was in a rush to get back home, it's a long story so I won't get into it... I found it very humid too!! You know when it comes to running I can't wait to run in -10c sunny cold crisp weather, this humidity or hot sun drags down my running...
Old 09-01-2005, 10:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone. I have been MIA for awhile, but still running. I did a 10 mile race on Saturday. Whew it was tough. But I finished! I think I am going to stick with some shorter distances for a little bit. Yesterday I stopped being sore so I think I'll try a nice easy 5k today.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:42 PM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Ooh, new thread! Another 10k this morning, only 18 days til my first 10k race, so I'm getting closer...
Old 09-01-2005, 04:56 PM   #4  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

congrats skinnyjeans on the race! Great a new thread. I actually ran completely around my neighborhood this morning and it felt great! There is a huge hill that I thought I wasn't going to be able to run but I did it with ease it was all a matter of pacing myself. I've been trying to get in atleast a 40 minute run because my doctor informed me that most aerobic or cardiac activity beyond 30 minutes puts your body into fat burning mode so I'm hoping to start burning some fat LOL. The run this morning took 43:47 and it was really nice I may try that again very soon!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Yay! A new month for runners and I want to get in on this thread from the beginning. I did do some running at the gym this morning but I had to use the treadmill that always overheats so it shut down about 2 miles into it and I switched to the stairmaster instead.

There was this girl using "MY" treadmill and she normally goes to the gym in the evenings so I was not too impressed with that. However she is a faster runner than me so I used that as my motivation as I did intervals on the next machine over. I kept telling myself "hey her machine is set at 8mph! you can do that for 1/4 mile!" and it seemed to work. maybe i'll even catch up with her at the 5-K race in a couple weeks (she won our age group last time)
Old 09-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #6  

Hey everyone,

wow.. a whole lot o' runnin' going on around here :0)

Congrats on the race, Skinnyjeans, and MrsDawson, bravo on making it up (and down) that hill! My route includes a lot of hills too and thus far, I cannot complete it. But I feel better every time I see some improvement.

Lizzbabe, thankyou for the encouraging words (I just now caught up with the other thread), they really help! Also, 1/4 mile at 8 mph? Yikes.. Im impressed. I'm a slow-paced jogger even on a good day, i think the 8 mph for 1/4 mile would kill me

This morning I went to the local high school track instead of doing my usual hill-y route, but I did a total of 4 miles -- and jogged 2 and 1/4 before finishing the last 2 with intermittent walking. Do you guys remember what it felt like the first time you were able to say "I jogged 2 miles today"? Well, that's me today; I feel really good about it.. I like the way it sounds in my head when i repeat it to myself. Has a nice ring to it :0)

Realistically, Im sure the reason I made it 2 miles is because I was running on a flat track. But, I did work in the HIIT that I read about in another thread, and it was tough. I didn't follow the 30 seconds on 30 seconds off, it was more like 30 seconds of sprinting to 2 or 3 minutes of 'recovery' slow jogging. I know that probably doesnt yield the same results, but the 30 seconds of sprinting was a real challenge so Im sure it will do something to help.

Now I have to work on catching up to everyone else's impressive speeds/distances :0)

take care everyone. and happy running!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #7  

Lilith--those intervals sound great! Little bursts of speed are always good even if it's not a 1:1 ratio. Also from what I've read running outside on a flat surface makes you work harder than running the same speed on a treadmill so I say "way to go!" Since moving to Texas I hardly encounter any hills so I really should incorporate some hill training indoors but at this point just focusing on speed.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:28 PM   #8  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

WTG Lilith!!! Yes I remember the first time I was able to run 2 miles I was so excited I blogged about it and everything! And you'll also start to see with running hills that it makes it sooooo much easier to run flat surfaces at a faster speed. Don't worry about not being able to finish the hills that'll come with time! Like I said with my run I made that hill into a mountain and as I was running the whole time I was telling myself, Shoot this is nothing! I run like this everyday I was just making a mountain out of a molehill litterally . Sounds like everyone is doing great!

Today was my walk day but I overslept. I will be taking a nice long run now.

Oh yeah also something that I noticed. I now run in my race tee and some shorts that fit fairly like biker shorts and I've noticed that my runs are sooo much easier to complete and enjoy! Now I understand the difference between clothing from the cool max line with wicking abilities and the way that cotton sucks up all that sweat and makes your clothes feel kind of heavy. Now I feel like I'm flowing with the wind LOL. I am fairly overweight so I don't feel comfortable running in tight clothing or revealing clothing so I usually run in a 2x-3x size shirt with sweat pants or some shorts from the thrift store. Well since I've switched to this racing tee and exercise shorts I notice a tremendous difference so I'm sold!!! Cool Max gear is for me!!! Now If I could just get enough money to buy an enell bra I'd be set *lol* I run with a windbreaker jaccket on over my shirt because the shirt is form fitting but I feel that within a few months I may become more comfortable and hopefully loose some more weight enough to be confident while running. Tomorrow I'm gonna try and run for 50-60 minutes. I'll let you guys know by Monday if i did it. Until then

TTFN *waving*
Old 09-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #9  

Good luck on the long run MrsDawson! I totally agree with you on the Coolmax stuff- it's not cheap but I love it!

On a side note, my friend and I decided to run a 5-k race tomorrow a couple of towns over so I will take it easy tonight and rest up. My last official race time was 26:21 and we have been doing practice runs at 6pm in the Texas heat so maybe my conditioning will be better tomorrow. Oh yeah and the best part is that the race is called the "Goat Gallop" and I just want the T-shirt!

Have a good long weekend everyone!
Old 09-02-2005, 07:27 PM   #10  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I'm hooked. I was in a bar tonight and they said they were putting some entry forms for a 5k on the table. I was gutted when I saw it was men only

Is this really me?
Old 09-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #11  

YP1--I know what you mean and I think I've convinced my running pal of the same thing so we're always looking at coolrunning.com or runtex.com for upcoming races. We did the Goat Gallop yesterday and I won overall female with a time of 25:34! I wasn't expecting that at all but it took a minute off my last race time, which was exciting PLUS I got a cowbell trophy and a new Fossil watch. Two weeks till the Brownwood race and the competition will be much tougher there!
Old 09-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

CoolMax stuff is the BESTEST!!! When I see someone running in cotton I feel hot and sweaty for them!! I got rid of everything cotton. What I also don't like about cotton is that it leaves a big ole sweat stain, GROSS, and CoolMax doesn't...

I had a really good run Saturday morning I did about 12K... There was finally no humidex!! So that was a good thing...
Old 09-05-2005, 05:03 AM   #13  

Hi runners,

Ran for 1 hour outside today. Not fast, and intermittent running/walking, but a big improvement since I started

rabbit
Old 09-05-2005, 10:39 AM   #14  
Natty Dread Runner

Hi ladies,
This morning I ran for 30 minutes!! Well I first did it on Saturday but I was praying for it to end tired and hot, this morning it was cool and easy i even changed the route, I run for time so i have no idea if it was actually 3.1 miles like the program says. I'm just thrilled, I plan on running 30 mins for one more week then every week after that run 2 more minutes till I get to an hour maybe then i can lose my remaining 20 lbs of baby(plus after baby eating like a pig) wieght.

edited to add : I mapped my route on sueandpaul and it was 2.5 miles.

Last edited by sugarbianca; 09-05-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #15  

Congrats on the run Jaime! 30 min is a great accomplishment, you should be proud! Just increase little by little and in no time you will meet your goals.

I ran 6 miles this morning and am planning another run with a friend this evening (probably 3miles). 2 weeks until the Brownwood 5-k and we want to be ready!
Closed Thread