Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:31 AM   #196  

Hey girls!!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and the birthday wishes!!

Lpngfrg- Welcome! Phew, what a difficult name! Great loss btw, well done and if you keep trying I'm sure you'll fit into jeans in no time!!

Mel- I hope the word for the next day should be Action. Just kidding, glad you enjoyed a lazy day, they're essential!!

Dawny- That's a good government policy for schools. In fact, I was watching a documentary "Super-size me", which btw I recommend to everyone who loves McDonalds, and in the film they kept saying that garbage is being served at school cafeterias in the USA and that vending machines are everywhere. So, healthier food seems definitely the right thing to do as children should learn the basic codes early on.

Snowyowl- Hope you're doing well.

LizK- Wow! Great NSV (non-scale victory) in the pub!! Good for you! Seems like you had a fun day shopping!

Donna- Welcome! Sounds like you had a great weekend, good job!!

Linda- don't know if you're reading this, hope you're doing well.

Well, I survived my birthday party! Yay! Foodwise, I had chicken fillet with a little rice and a baked potato and I didn't even finish it!! I had a few glasses of wine but not too many, so I think I did very well!!

I'm back on track today, no exercise though this week except from 1 hour walking on Tuesday and some dancing yesterday. I'll be joining a pool soon though, so I'm confident I'll be fit in no time!

Take care girls!!
Old 09-29-2005, 10:15 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 173.8/149/125

Hey everyone!
Thanks for the welcome! I am so glad I discovered this website. I've always been big- actually, my GW is healthy for my height, but I've never been that small. I’m on Week 3 and I’m so excited about the prospect of losing weight. In the past 2 months, I gained 10 lbs! So I went ahead and joined WW.

Since I started WW (on my 3rd week), I’ve been so happy with it. The support on this site has really been helping me. I’ve learned to plan my meals. I’ve saved so much money by buying salad bags, fruit (apples), and the Smart Ones meals or Lean Cuisine meals (when they’re on sale, which is almost every 2 weeks). LIZK- I thought it would cost more to eat better, but since I’m not spending $$ on take-out and restaurants, I’ve saved a lot. And I’m on a *strict* budget. Big time. I make sure to shop during sales.
Natalie- congrats on the loss. You’re so close to your GW!!
Melanie- I go to the Y, too!! I love it. There are so many different people there, not just hard-bodies. I usually make it on Tu, F, Sat, Sun. I’m training for a 5K in April- so far, doing 2 miles in 20 mins. (Looking for a strong sports bra! Anyone know of any brands?)
Dawny (and others with kids)- you are such an inspiration! To have children, work (out or in the home) and all of the other commitments and STILL have a big goal like that is amazing. Dawny, congrats on your loss and I know you’ll do well on the maintenance!
Donna- congrats on not going nuts while eating out and paying attn to your points. I’m going to a wedding this weekend and need to make sure that I’m OP too!
Old 09-30-2005, 06:56 PM   #198  
Beauty School Dropout

Well it's the end of my first "official" week on WW. (I'd been doing it for about a month on my own before) Todays WI came to 192.5 lbs!! I'm down 6 lbs this week! How this is possible is beyond me, but I think It has to do with the water weight lost after finishing my period. I feel so awsome its not even funny!

lpngfrg - I'm joining the Y tonight too! I can'tm wait to take aquasize. I just bought a really good sports bra with underwire and its a WonderBra Plus Sport. Got it at the Bay for 20 dollars off. I wore it today to school and it needs some serious breaking in. the underwire was realy hurting me by the end of the day, but i think after a few wears and a wash it'll loosen up.

Sugar - Wine's supposed to be good for you anyway, right? I hope you had an awsome birthday.

Have a great weekend girls!
Old 10-01-2005, 04:03 AM   #199  

Hi girls, everyone sounds like they're doing great this week!

Nat, glad you enjoyed your birthday, if you can't do it on one day of the year, then when can you?

Liz - what a loss! 6 pounds in one week is just fab! I know that alot probably will be water, as you said, but even so, 6 pounds worth of water less in our systems is obviously 6 pounds less of it than we need, and I'm sure some of it must have been not water and would have been the 'nasty' stuff! Well done!

Mae, (glad to know your name, the lpngfrog thing was faarrrr too complicated to remember!) I'm pleased you are happy with WW. It made such a difference to my whole life you can't imagine. Keep drinking your water, loads of it, thats my tip of the day. It'll help keep your body working to the maximum and burning off loads of cals as well as keeping everything flushed out! Ok, so you might get a few extra trips running upstairs to the little girls room, but think of the extra exercise it'll give you!

oooh, got to go, someone at the door, back later.......
Old 10-02-2005, 07:30 AM   #200  

Hi girls, how is everyone doing??

Mae- you sound very determined and motivated, good for you! Hopefully the wedding went well and you managed to stay on track. WW is really a great way of eating, and you're right about saving bucks from eating out and takeaways. It's more economical to cook.

LizK- Congrats on your loss, you're doing so great!! And good luck for the gym as well!

dawny- hope you're doing great!

As for me, I'm doing ok. No exercise though I'm afraid, but I'll be joining a pool this week so that should be solved. I'm thinking of going there 3 times a week, 1 hour each time. Food is ok, WI tomorrow, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Take care ladies!!
Old 10-02-2005, 11:36 AM   #201  

I think I will join in all this success! You guys are doing so well! I joined WW at the end of July. I hvae since lost 10.2 lbs. I was off plan for about 3 weeks, and gained and lost back and forth. I started off like gang busters...I don't stick to stuff too much. I eat out a lot and I have a lot of tempation...I want to lose another 25 lbs to get to 145. I really need to be under 140, but I am being realistic. I want to reach my 10% by Halloween (another 7 lbs). I think I can do that.

Good luck ladies!

Cher
Old 10-02-2005, 12:22 PM   #202  

Welcome Cher, and Donna, since I haven't posted recently. Good to have you join the gang. Sounds like you both have a great attitude for getting started with the program, and I know for me, mindset is very important. I can be doing everything right, but if my head isn't in it, I can be spinning my wheels in the process. So kudos for both of you!

Liz - WOW! What a great way to start off your official WI! Even with keeping it realistic, it's nice to see that sort of jumpstart to keep you motived. You keep that up!

Dawny, there's been a move towards getting junk food out of schools here in the States as well. Part of the problem is that a lot of schools get money from the vending companies for having the machines in the schools, so they're loathe to be rid of them. Another problem here is that the kids hardly have time to eat. Here in the Boston area, they've had so many kids in the schools that they're starting the lunches earlier - to the ridiculous time of 9:30 for some students. How anyone can think that's lunchtime is beyond me. No wonder kids don't eat right! And even when they have the time to eat, they either spend most of it standing in line so they can't eat what they've bought, or they are told to eat at a time that they're not hungry. Most kids don't even bother, or eat out of the vending machines. By the time they're out of school, they're ready to grab the first handy thing they see. So we need to work on better nutrition and rethink the whole process if kids are going to learn to eat healthier.

As for me, WI was kind today, so I lost the lb I gained last week and another 1.2 (though looking at my booklet, I realized that they did the math wrong and I really lost a total of 2.4.) My MO tends to be hovering up and down, then down a bit, then hovering around there for a few weeks, then down, etc. Slow going, but better than the alternative of not doing the program (ie, gain. Yuck!) So I'll take what I can get.

Has anyone heard from Linda? Hope things are settling down and that she finds time to drop us a line when she can. Linda, if you're lurking, come back and here and get us up to date!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:19 AM   #203  

Helloooo!!!

Welcome Cher! I'm sure you'll be right at home here, we're a lovely bunch of people here, if I may say so myself! You've done really well, we're here for support and motivation!

Elaine, great WI!! Well done girl!

As for me, WI today, 0.9 lbs down! Finally the plateau is over!!

Take care everyone!!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:06 AM   #204  

Hello all. I've lurked for a couple of days, but didn't have the time or energy to post! I'll try to catch up soon. Looks like everyone is having great WIs! I don't know how mine will go. It will depend on me being a very good girl the next couple of days. The wedding went good. I only had one bite of chocolate cake and one bite of white, so i count that a win. But, there were no really good options served and it was the only thing available for dinner, so I had to eat the yummy crab cakes and such. I'm sure I more than worked it off, though. I didn't sit until the ride home.

Well, work beckons. Maybe I can catch up later!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #205  

Hi everyone!

Melanie- good job on the wedding eating- I tried to save up my points for wedding cake this weekend and it turned out that they served sheet cake! It was disgusting, as was the food. So I actually did really well. I brought along a small bag of raisins and walnuts and nibbled on that throughout the day. When the wedding was over, DB and I got some bbq, and I didn't go crazy! Just ate until I was satisfied, not full!!

What a great success, Natalie! I hope you celebrated!

On the issue of unhealthy eating in schools: it's great that some places are getting rid of soda machines and other sugar-y things. When I was in HS, we had a soda machine, a juice machine, a cart filled with candy, PLUS hot lunch. I often had a soda and a twix bar for lunch (like others)... and wondered why I had such a headache every day after school!! This was 10 years ago! It has taken me a really long time to realize that sugar is not supposed to make up a major part of my diet. Cake is not dinner!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:32 AM   #206  

Hi there, I'll catch up on the posts later, but I'm now back online and have broadband, so now I'm a superfast, world wide web whiz! Yeah, really! At least I can load up these pages a bit faster than before, thats a start, huh?

Anyway, I'll pop back later to read up on what I've missed, see ya later!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #207  
Beauty School Dropout

Hi everyone! I hope you are all having a great week.

This week has been so so for me. I think im beginning to plateau/gain and i'm not very happy bout it. MY weight fluctuates anywhere from 3-5lbs a day so midday I'll weight myself and I'm at 193 and then in the evening i'll be at 196! It's rediculous. I haven't been at 192 since the day of my weigh in whihc makes me think something was funny that day. The worst part is that I've been exercising like crazy and I havent seen any results. *sigh* I know i need to keep positive and for the most part I have, maybe I just need to stop weighing myself everyday.

On a happier note I had the most amazing lunch today, I just had to share it. I've been obsessed with roasting veggies recently and today I made a roasted veggie sandwich on multigrain bread with light veggie creamcheese.

Points break down.
2 slices multigrain bread - 2
1 tbsp Philidelphia garden vegetable cream cheese - 1
Roasted Red Pepper, Artichokes, Carrots, Garlic - 0

3 pt lunch! Oh yummy!
Old 10-06-2005, 09:10 AM   #208  

LizK- you should read this, it's Why the Scales Lie: http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspart...ight/scale.htm
Excerpt: "From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale."

It's a pretty interesting article. I never weigh myself on my own- I don't want to get disappointed. I only WI at WW. Plus, it's like giving myself a gift every week if I lost!
Old 10-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #209  

HI,
Liz, I hardly ever weigh myself now, just now and again, which I feel is quite an achievement for me. For the whole time I was 'losing', I would just have to weigh myself at least once a day. The fluctuations were just as you described too, Liz, pounds different at night than at day. The best thing I found, if you really can't stay away from the scales, is to only weigh yourself once a day, at the same time of day that you have your official WW weigh in. That way, at least its consistent. Of course, it can vary from day to day too, but its more likely to be reliable. Are your scales weighing the same as the WW ones? Mine, and several others I know, always weigh 2 - 3 pounds different from the official scale, so that has to be taken into account too. I can't imagine that you are into plateau land just yet, that usually comes quite a bit later during your weightloss journey (unfortunately!) Its probably just one of those weeks that your body wants to concentrate on something other than losing weight. Of course, if you have been exercising like mad too, then your body will be wanting to repair tired muscles sometimes more than it wants to lose weight - lets face it, if it was that easy to lose weight, we would all have done this long ago! Don't worry too much yet, it'll come, you'll see. I have complete faith in you as you are trying so hard. Keep drinking the water, watch the portion sizes and journal your food intake, it will come off when the times right.

Ok, lecture over girls, hope you are all ok, and Linda, if you are lurking from time to time, we are still thinking of you and missing you, hope you are coping ok!

Back later.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:17 PM   #210  

Good evening ladies (and gents if there are any). It's been three weeks tonight since Dad died and I finally might be able to face my life again. I never thought I'd be such a mess, but this is really the hardest time I've ever gone thought in my life.
For those of you who have your parents living right NOW, tell them you love them and give them a hug.
Now, as far as weight loss efforts, I've done nothing, I've not worked out and life has not been all about that recently. You guys will say that is ok, and I know it is. There have just been more important things than this for a long time.
But, quite honestly, this evening I began to think of how my clothes are feeling tight and how I need to get back here with you all. Plus, I absolutely MISS you all and my "normal" life, whatever that is and will be.
But, I have to admit I am a changed person. Life will never be the same for me, but I can move on. I think I am more sensitive, more religious and more sympathetic than I have ever been in the past. I am acutely aware of the fragility of life and how we are all here for a specified time, and that is it. Beyond this world, there is something else for us all, I know it and I hope to be reunited with my dad again. It's odd that watching this process and being so close to it make you less afraid of it. Life does go on, I am proof of that. Yet, it's a more aware life. Each time I look at a beautiful thinkg such as a blue sky, I think of how my dad would have appreicate it and it is bittersweet. Yet, we all share the same destiny, we all have a life of our own to do whatever it is we want with. We can make this life as good or as bad as we want to, it's up to us.
So, with that, I'm here guys. I haven't read any of the older posts but I hope to be back and try to improve my life, helping you all and allowing you all to help and support me.
Linda, daughter without dad
Closed Thread