Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 07:14 AM   #1  

Talking Lets support each other on our weightloss journey again...

Hi everyone,

I thought it was about time to start a new thread, our old one was just getting a little bit too long, I think.

For those that haven't come across us before, we are a little group of 'losers' who follow the WW programme, mainly flex (or full choice here in the UK), who need all the help we can get. We have been chatting here about our weightloss issues and life in general for about a year or so now and have realised that this support is invaluable in our great journey to be slimmer and healthier. The thread has been a little quieter than usual recently, some family problems are present and for the time being some of our regular posters are absent, so I think its a great time to get a bit of new blood, a few new ideas and any advice at all to help us all on our way.

Just a bit of info about myself for anyone that hasn't read my 'waffling' before. I'm 36, married for almost 13 years and have a little boy AJ who will be 4 in September. I began going to WW meetings in Jan 04 and reached goal finally in March '05, losing 56.5 pounds in total. The difference its made to my whole life is astounding and I would encourage anyone who has any weight problems, or health problems relating to their weight to give it a try. To feel 'lighter', slimmer, better in my clothes and above all full of life and energy is worth a million dollars. So good luck to anyone who is just starting out on this life changing journey. Its worth it!

Ok, got to go now, a little walk beckons with AJ, have a great weekend everyone. Take care.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:43 AM   #2  

Hey girls.

Just a quick post to let you know that I found the new thread. Sorry I've been absent, I'm having problems with my connection. Food and exercise is ok, could have been better though. Take care all!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #3  

Hi Nat, glad you are ok!
Old 07-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #4  

Hi!!! Sorry I've been absent a few days. Thanks for starting the new thread, Dawny!

Okay, I'll give a little introduction too. Great idea! I started the WW way of life in June '04. I don't go to meetings, but get encouragement/accountability from my weekly church group. I've lost just over 70# so far. I'm 29 and have been married for 1 1/2 years, no kids. A few of us (that I consider GREAT friends) have been posting together for a long time now, but we love new friends too!

Well, I've really been enjoying my YMCA membership. I've been everyday since I joined Tues. I'm quite proud of that. I took my first class today, mat pilates and will definately do that again. I'm also planning to try the Yoga Flex class next week. The rest of the time, I've been using the cardio equipment and trying to hit the goals set by the trainer. That accountability is a great addition. I know that several people in my Wednesday night meetings are members, so I'm about to turn the screws to get them to go with me!

I am in love. And, it's not with my husband. It's a chinese restaurant! I learned that one of our restaurants in town have a "diet menu" and will steam your dish with sauce on the side! How great is that!?!?! Excuse me, but anyone living in the southern half of the US will understand that this is rare! That's what I had for dinner last night and finished for lunch today. Yum. and so healthy too!

Well, my meetings start back next week after about a month off. I think I will be pleased with the WI, but I am trying to keep in mind that all the exercise I have done the past week or two is sure to add muscle as well as burning fat. All the results won't show on the scale, but I will see them.

NSV! I was in a store last night trying on some workout wear since my old stuff is falling off. It was late and I really didn't feel like talking to anyone (you know the mood). It turns out that dropping 70# is a great way to be by yourself. I looked right in the eye of someone I know and they didn't even recognize me! tee-hee. I know that's not very good of me, but I got to go about my business, which I really wanted to do. Twice last weekend DH had to introduce me to people I know! I think it's hilarious, but I wonder what all those people I wave at think!

Nat - Glad to see you back. Hope you get the connection problems worked out!

Later!
Old 07-30-2005, 07:08 PM   #5  

You guys are having so much success I think I'll join you!

I joined the Chicks site many years ago when I first joined WW in 98 and lost 70lbs. Then I hit a plateau, figured I could do it on my own and gained it all back. So I'm back again and trying to get back to my good habits (such as posting on this board again!) Its been very slow this time, but I'm still going to meetings and I haven't given up!

My inspiration is my best friend who, when I asked her what she wanted for Christmas said "a WW membership!" That's what she got and 7 months later she's lost over 60lbs and is only 30lbs from goal. So with her example, I'm keeping up on the things I've been lax about (water and exercise being the two major ones) and have already been seeing results.

I'm 41 and been with my fiance for 11 years now (its a very long engagement!) So here I am!
Old 07-30-2005, 10:49 PM   #6  

Hi, Elaine! Welcome! You're off to an excellent start! Keep sticking with it! Remember, each day is a brand new opportunity to start new healthy habits. Water is a tough one sometimes. I keep a jug of spring water in my fridge at all times, but weekends are tough. I just decided that tomorrow I will challenge myself to get in at least 8 glasses. Wanna join me?

Well, I have a full tummy. Nice big, juicy burger. Okay. Here's the catch. It was a buffalo burger from Tumbleweed. I've found out it is very lean. And yummy. I opted for the grilled veggies instead of the fries I thought I really wanted. It was a great option.

C-ya later.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:19 AM   #7  

Hi everyone.

Welcome Elaine, it looks like you are off to a good start...again! Yep, we've all been there! This time, the committment will be forever! We'll help it to be! If you think that there is anything that you are struggling with, post here, one of us will surely have been there and done that! By the way, nothing wrong with long engagements!

Melanie, good to see you back, missed you! I reckon this gym membership is going to be the making of you. You know when you quote the numbers of what you've lost it hits home just how well you have done. I sometimes forget how near to goal you are now. I remember when you were breaking the 200# barrier and what a milestone it was for you, I'm really proud of you! By the way, buffalo burger? Is that really what it is? Is it really quite ok for you? Sounds scrummy anyway, can I have some next time? They just don't have the same stuff over here, our menus really do sound so boring sometimes.

Anyway, time to go again, just a quick visit today, AJ is plaguing me to go on the net and look at some 'mummy lions' on whatever site I can find some. Wish me luck.
Back later.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:58 PM   #8  

Thanks, Dawny. It is great to be nearing the "finish line." I do think the Y is going to be a great thing. I definately need to tone up while I lose. And, yes. The buffalo burger was actually that.. buffalo. I knew it was lean, but when I checked on-line, I discovered it is leaner than chicken! If I can figure out how to share, I certainly will!

Well, I'm keeping it short. I spent more time at the in-laws than I planned and now have to get to my workout so I can accomplish a few things at home. MIL is our group leader and she is recruiting me and SIL to help liven some things up. The brainstorming was great, but now I have more projects!

Later
Old 07-31-2005, 09:25 PM   #9  

Wow Melanie - great stats there! Definitely an inspiration. And your post reminded me I have a place that sells buffalo here. Great stuff as long as you stay away from some of the items on their menu.

Dawn, here are some comparisons between different meat: http://www.gemfarmsbuffalo.com/nutrition.htm
Old 08-01-2005, 08:20 AM   #10  

Good morning!
Thanks for starting the new thread Dawny. I see some new people in our group and I am so glad!
Sorry I've been absent for awhile. Things have been hard with my dad and we went away for the last week. Times have been busy and certainly upsetting with dad's situation.
I am starting over today.... wish me luch guys.
Snowy Owl from Boston, we are close to each other! I'm about an hour north of Boston in NH! Love your photo, I am a huge snowy owl fan!
Linda
Old 08-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #11  

Default Hello All!

Well I have just been reading every one's post. I would love to join ya'll little group. I am new to this WW thing. I joined WW back in May of this year.
Let me tell ya'll about me. I am 41 years old. I have been married to the same man since I was 17. We have 2 great kids. Our son (the baby) will be going off to college after this school year. I (too) am in school! This is my senior year in nursing school. Being a nurse was always my dream but life caught up to me. Now that my life has calmed down, I will be able to reach out and grab that dream.
I once lost over 60lbs. I did Somersizing to loss those pounds but once you stop eating according to food plan the weight just jumps back on you. I also did not learn to eat small portions. Now I am going to get rid of those pounds again but I am going to keep them off this time by watching what I eat and exercising.
Peach

One for every 5lbs gone!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #12  

Welcome Peach!
I hope you do well, my oldest son is starting his senior year in high school this year, so I know how fast time goes by!
Everyone, I am re-committing myself today.... just had a CORE breakfast. This doesn't mean I'll be permanantly on the CORE plan, but I found that for re-starting myself on WW that this seems helpful to me. I have a hard time getting back into journalling and just going with the core plan seems quite helpful to jump start.
I've been BAD having been on vacation mode as well as trying to deal with my dad's illness causing all sorts of emotional upheavals. Have had no control.
But this is MY week to get back on track.
Am heading off the the treadmill in a few minutes! Grocery shopping this afternoon will give me a chance to select GOOD foods and make healthy choices. Will try not to eat out all week this week so that I stay on track.
How are things going? I've not had a chance to read back all the past messages, I know I've missed a great deal.
Linda
Old 08-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #13  

<waves to Linda up north> Glad to meet you. And keeping focus while dealing with real life is something we can all relate to. So having something you can control, like the plan is a good start. So keep that up and we'll be here to cheer you along!

Hi Peach - you've done a great job so far, and the best part is that you've recognized what can be the pitfalls and how to keep up with the success you've had. This is a good way to do it!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:04 AM   #14  

Hi everyone!
I am glad to report I was on program yesterday for the most part. I will try again today. One day at a time! I bought a "new" video on Pilates (sp?) at a yard sale about a week ago. Can anyone tell me what that is all about? I've heard others talk about it and know it's kind of a "craze" nowadays in exercise and I do wonder if it will be too much for me? I'll give it a shot, at least.
Today is going to be HOT here in the 90s, thank goodness for AC!
Linda
Old 08-02-2005, 12:51 PM   #15  

Good Grief, Linda! Itís so good to hear from you!!!!!!!! Iíve missed the dickens out of you! Iím sorry things are still difficult with your dadís situation, but Iím glad you are here with us. And, it looks like you are starting back very well. Pilates?? Well, I took a class on Saturday morning at the YMCA Ė which is my big news you missed. I finally joined up! Got my YMCA membership last Tuesday and Iíve been every day except yesterday was my off day (isnít Monday always?). Pilates works out the bodyís ďcoreĒ Ė focusing on trunk and breathing. It reminds me a lot of Yoga. It was a great workout for my abs and glutes, but my arms and legs were a bit like jello too. I plan to make it a regular Saturday workout.

Welcome Peach! Great work so far! Keep it up!

Hi, Elaine! Howís the water going?

Survey: I was wondering the other day if RC (Royal Crown Cola) is a popular drink nationwide, or just in our area. What says Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Georgia? Anyone for a moon pie and RC cola? And, have you ever put peanuts into a soda bottle to drink/eat together? Or is that a local thing? Just wondering.

Well, itís been a crazy week at work. Oh! Wait! Itís just Tuesday! It seems like it has been a week already! Fridayís case was concluded on Monday and I had to work over the weekend, take home work last week and last night, and today I just canít get much done. Iím just looking forward to a nice quiet/productive lunch at home and then my hour at the Y after work! So nice.

My group starts back tomorrow night. The first WI since sometime in June. I think I will do pretty well. I still remind myself that the muscle will not show up on the scale yet. I might have lost more fat, but gained muscle. Iíll let you know!
Closed Thread