Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 05:54 AM   #136  

Hello ladies!

Linda- How is your weekend? I hope you have a great time. Did you pick something nice and healthy in the restaurant? I'd suggest protein with salad and avoid anything creamy or with lots of sauces. Anyway, hope you have fun and enjoy your weekend!

Marcie- I've been watching the news, and it's so devastating. I'm so very sorry for all the people who died and all those who are suffering. Good for you for helping, I'm very very far away, but I'll pay attention to see if there's anything I can do from here.

Elaine- Happy birthday!! Good job on resisting the cake, but since it's your birthday, I guess you can have a small piece, right? I've read somewhere that on your birthday everything is calorie-free!!

Dawny- Happy birthday for AJ!! How did the party go? I bet it would be hard to resist the treats, how did you do? A house full of kids though sounds like good exercise!

Mel- I'm right with you in the attack plan. I'm sick of plateauing and really want to shift some weight and go from there. You're really close to goal, I bet you can do it, your motivation sounds promising!

Well, Im doing ok. I decided to start counting points again, as I took a break from it for a month. But, I'm starting counting again from today, I need all the discipline I can get. I'll do some exercise today and tomorrow, and walking on Monday. Hopefully, I'll have a small loss on Tuesday.

Uni exams start on Monday, wish me luck!!
Old 09-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #137  

Hi everyone! Lots of great posts to read from you all! Melanie, you are doing great! Dawny, we don't have WW applie pies over here... tell us all about them!
Nat, you are doig so great, counting points again will be a good motivation for you.
Snowy, keep on trying!
Did I miss anyone? If I did, forgive me!
We modified our plans for the weekend. We're going to head up North for just a day trip tomorrow, we are all really tired and I have to admit that I feel like I am coming down with something, sore throat, swollen glands, tired, achy and all that stuff. I hope I can fight it off! I need my energy.
Last night, Jamie and I were on our own for dinner and we had Chinese food... sorry to say that I used 7 flex points in one day, but my journal ends tomorrow and I still have 11 of my 35 left this week. So, essentially, I was on program, but I would have preferred to not have had the Chinese, so much sodium. I really didn't eat that much, as I was worrying about the points. But, yesterday was a 29 point day and I usually have 22 points each day. I hope to do better today, not sure what we'll be doing for food, etc. as DH just got home from New York last night and we've not had a chance to chat. My entire household is exhausted it seems, though, with him travelling and the kids starting school this week. I think that whatever we do, it will be quiet.
I'm taking an independant poll here....
What are gas prices in your areas now?
Plaistow NH, average price $3.32 per gallon
What about where you live? I'll bet Dawny is the highest... pounds are roughly 1.5 of our dollars, so $5.00 would be 7.5 pounds, I think???? Goodness knows what Greece has for currency and how that transfers to dollars, are you gusy Euros?
Linda
Linda
Old 09-03-2005, 09:19 AM   #138  

Great decision, Nat! I don't know how I would do it without counting points. Especially with school starting back, it would be very easy for you to lose track. Let us know if you are surprised about your quantities when you start counting again.

Linda - I understand that tired feeling. I hope you get some rest to avoid any illness. And, I wouldn't worry too much about one high point day. I think it can actually be helpful to keep your body guessing about what it's getting.

Gas prices in South Central, KY spiked up to $3.09 per gallon on Wednesday, but last night most places were $2.87. I decided to go ahead and fill up last night, and found one station was out at 5p, the other that I stopped at said they would be out by 8p. That made up my mind that I'm not going to my dad's today. I don't think it would be wise for me to use half a tank without knowing what's going to happen in the next few weeks.

In fact, I'm going to call my in-laws today to ask about borrowing a bike. I would rather save my gas for trips to my parents, and drive it to the grocery and Y. But, there are plenty of places I can go on a bike. The weather is good, and I've cleared a parking situation with my boss. Should be good exercise too!

Speaking of exercise, I better start getting ready for my pilates class!

See ya later!
Old 09-03-2005, 06:49 PM   #139  

Gals! News! Bike riding is FUN! WWWHHHHEEEEE!!!! I like going down hill better than up! After a wobbly start, I got the hang of it. And, I figured out that it will actually be faster than driving because I don't have to park and walk! But, I must admit... I'm sore in special places..

At the grocery today I picked up some Starbucks Frappuccinos. MMMMmmm... 3 pts of goodness! About what I would use on a snack or dessert.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:55 PM   #140  

I always thought those Frappuccinos were higher in points. 3 doesn't sound so bad!

Natalie - I only wish that calories don't count on your birthday! But with weigh in tomorrow, I figure I don't want to take a chance that is true. Would that it were!

And good job on the exercise - I always have the best laid plans and the worst execution of them. That's the thing I really need to focus on for this upcoming week.

Feel better Linda! I've seen gas prices in the Boston area anywhere from $3.09 to 3.90. It definitely caused me to change my own plans for this weekend as well. Better to stay home (not get tempted by restaurant food) and save the money!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:11 AM   #141  

Good morning all, off to the vets again shortly with my little cat, still poorly, so can't stop.

Petrol prices here are all in litres, haven't used gallons here for years, its around 90pence a litre here, so I think that works out about £3.40 per gallon if I remember the calculations correct. Our petrol is usually so expensive compared to the America, not at the moment though, for obvious reasons, although we have been told to expect it to go up quite a bit more.

I ate chocolate last night. Far too much of it. So much for being good all weekend. Still, I'll report more later... got to go and catch a cat......
Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #142  

Elaine - I'm not sure about the Frappucinos that you get at the Starbucks cafes, but the bottled ones in the grocery are just 3 pts. And worth every one!

Dawny - If the chocolate was your only lapse, maybe you are on your way to beating the weekends. At least, I will think that.

Well, I'm recovering from my bike booboos. Still feel like I spent a weekend as a cowhand on the open range! But, better. I didn't ride to work this morning because I woke up with a whopping headache that I went to bed with last night. It's TOM, and I'm hoping I won't have this hanging around all week!

I found out over the weekend that our town is preparing a recently closed elementary school to house 150 or so of the hurricane victims. It should provide pretty good facilities, actually. I rode out to the school and saw that the class rooms all open to the outside with a porch. Of course there will be a cafeteria/gym too. Almost like apartments. I've already started going through my closets to find clothing and things to donate. It's right down the street from me, so I'm planning to be there helping as much as possible. Scrubbing floors and windows ought to be good exercise too.

Well, gotta get to work.
C-ya!
Old 09-06-2005, 10:26 AM   #143  

Hi everyone!

Linda- hope you're feeling better and that you avoided the illness. Did you have fun at the trip?

Mel- Good for you for helping the hurricane victims. It's really devastating to watch the news coverage about it, all these people suffer... Very sad indeed. On a different note, good job on cycling, I love it but I haven't got on a bike since I was about 10 years old! Anyway, bottled frappuccinos sound delicious!!!

Dawny- Forget about the chocolate, at least it wasn't something worse. And my best wishes for your cat!

snowyowl- hope you're doing great.

I'm doing ok, I've binged on Sunday and on Monday, so it could have been much better I guess. I'm back on track today, I'm counting points and I'm determined to succeed this time. I'm going out for lunch this weekend with my mum and sis as it's my mum's birthday so I will try to save some points for it. My sis is doing great btw, she lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks, I'm so happy for her!! At least someone in the family is losing weight...

Oh, as for gas prices, I think it's 1.10 euros per litre. I don't know anything about gallons, sorry!
Exercise-wise, I did a 30-min walk yesterday and 10 mins weights and light CV this morning. I'll probably go for a short walk in the afternoon.

Take care girls!!
Old 09-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #144  

Hi, just realised I miscalculated about the petrol prices, I got the cost right, but I was thinking that £3.40 was the same as $3.40. Obviously not. Please excuse me, I've had a busy week!
AJ had his party at a nearby pub. I did consider having 15+ kids round at my house - briefly - then sanity kicked in and I changed my mind! So not too much organising or running around earning AP's.
Melanie, great job on the 'hurricane' shelter. So much needs to be done, but how does one go about doing it? Its times like this I'm so glad I live in little old England, where we don't get storms like this. Hope your butt feels better too! I once went on a 30 mile bike ride after many years of avoiding cycling, I felt like I had a tennis ball in my pants for days! (too much information, maybe?!)
Natalie, Glad to hear you are back on track. You will get over this plateau, maybe the little 'points break' you took will do you good.
Oh, by the way, regarding the weekends chocolate, if you had seen just how much chocolate I ate, maybe you would be shouting at me and telling me I had been very naughty, not telling me not to worry about it, lots and lots of points worth, me thinks!

Anyway, I have to go now, AJ's birthday (officially) tomorrow, so more cake around, I will try very hard, I am being good, even though the scale doesn't seem to be moving much. See ya later, take care.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:10 PM   #145  

Well Dawny, in that case:

Old 09-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #146  
Kimmy

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/130

Height: 5 foot nada

Hi all,

It's just terrible about the devestation that Hurricane Katrina has caused.

Gas here in my part of the town, Newfoundland, Canada it's $1.48 a litre. So that would be about $5.92 a gallon. Not very good. Things could be alot worse though considering what people are going though from the Hurricane.

TTYS

KIM
Old 09-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #147  

Hi guys!
I'm very behind on e-mail and everything else in my life it seems. Hope all is well with you guys. I haven't read all your posts, but will maybe later?
I have my weigh in about an hour from now. Not sure if I lost anything again, but I am going nontheless. I've been on program, though, and SHOULD have a loss, but I just don't know.
The hurricane situation has been eating up lots of my time, I'm afraid. I'm kind of obsessed with watching the reports on tv and am so concerned for all those poor people. I'm glad to say that 500 of them are coming to an air force base right near me and I am going to get busy collecting items for the people, as they are coming here with little more than the clothes they are wearing, poor things!
Believe me, NH people will do everything we can to make them feel welcome and get their needs taken care of. We love them all!
Sad news on my dad, he was officially placed on hospice care as of yesterday, I was up there over the weekend visiting and he's really taken a huge turn downhill. I wish there was more I could do.
I'm feeling stressed, but so far it's not affecting my food intake.
Linda
Old 09-07-2005, 07:46 AM   #148  

How was the birthday, Dawny? Wonder if we should start a new tradition of a birthday vegetable vs. a birthday cake? Doubt it would catch on with kids for sure!
I weighed in last night and was down .6 to a total of 159.6. Sad to think that last spring I was much lower than this and how I lost control over the summer. Don't let me do that again everyone!
Last night's meetings was a good one. We were read a story about "Judy" (whose hame could have been Linda for sure) who went out to eat with friends. The scanario was as if if was me! It was interesting how "Judy" asked her friends to go to a place that was a good WW choice and was outvoted (happens to me all the time) and then was swayed by peer pressure and ended up with a really high point dinner, ate repeatedly from the bread basket, had appetizers, had a couple of glasses of wine and also ended the meal with dessert. Then "Judy" went home and actually felt almost ill from overeating and was depressed about how she lost control. How many times have we all gone through this same situation? I sure have.
We all need a battle plan for sure.
By the way, while we were away over the weekend, I did order a bit more sensibly at some places, though lost control and had Chinese food on Friday night. I didn't eat as much as I usually would have eaten, though. When we dined out at a Steakhouse, it took such self control for me, but I had a club soda with lime vs. wine. I had grilled chicken "Santa Fe" with had salsa over top of it and it came with a spicy rice (which I actually didn't eat much of as it was too spicy for my liking - a good thing). I passed on dessert and had only one slice of bread. My salad had lite dressing on the side. I wanted filet mignon, or prime rib with a huge baked potato piled high with butter and sour cream but I didn't give in! But, I still overate a bit and went seriously into flex points (but they are there and I still ended the week with 11 leftover).
On Sunday evening, we were at a diner. I actually ordered a cheeseburger and fries and then thought better of it and changed what I ordered to a ham steak with mashed potatoes and corn. I don't know how many points I saved with this change, but I felt better about what I ate at least. I also had a cup of minestrone soup before the meal, whiich is low point and may have filled me up so I didn't overeat.
Eating out for an entire weekend is hard to do and I think I did ok and am thankful that I had a loss. I wonder if I would have had a better loss if I had chosen something other than ham steak on Sunday evening, due to the sodium? Maybe next week's weigh in will be better as a result? Will seriously try to not have any high sodium items in the days preceeding my meeting!
Do you all try to plan any high sodium foods that you might eat in the "early" part of your week right after wiegh in, or do you bother? Or, are you being so good that you are not having high sodium foods at all?
Linda
Old 09-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #149  

Hi, well, I just spent ages typing a good long message, and then forgot to post it and lost it all. Typical. Oh well, not going through all that again, so to be brief, AJ is having a lovely birthday, although we still have his main Thomas the tank engine birthday cake to cut into, and I'm determined not to have even a small piece. I like the vegetable birthday cake idea Linda, although a birthday Carrot cake sounds the best idea, don't you think?
Linda, it sounds as if your 'eating out' weekend was lovely, and you even got a small loss too, so even though things are still slow, they are at least moving in the right direction, well done!
As for the sodium foods, I have to say that until I found this board I didn't really bother either way. Now, I tend to try to be careful most of the time, also, not adding extra table salt to my meals. Then, if I have a chinese meal for example then I don't panic so much. I know I feel the difference when I've had a high sodium meal, so now I avoid when possible. (there has to be something I'm an angel at, this is probably one of the few things that gets me there! Oh, that and taking my supplements, can't fight off a cold without them for some reason.)

Righty-o, got to go and play pirates a while with the birthday boy, see ya later.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:21 AM   #150  

Sounds like things are going well, Dawny, but I think I couldn't resist that birthday cake. I think I should build something that looks like a cake out of veggies or something to signify and look like a birthday cake just for fun.... perhaps make something out of sf jello with fruits mixed in in a jellow mold and then maybe make some kind of "frosting" for it out of sugar free whipped topping or something like that, then it could be "decorated" with pretty fruits on top and then have candles? : )
OH well, wish I had time to play in the kitchen today, but today is definately not the day for that - gotta go!
Linda
Closed Thread