Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 09:36 PM   #31  
JEC
Aussie and proud

ok Karen and Jayne - way too much information..........

But I am thankful that analogy stopped me from buying chocolate today...

JC
Old 03-10-2003, 10:01 PM   #32  
mox

Angry Better late . . .

Gosh, I'm gone for about a week and come back to pages and pages of posts -- once I could find the thread, that is. I had a panicky moment when the "BFL" thread wasn't where I was used to seeing it. But, I like the new name.

I feel like I'm a day late and a dollar short for this challenge. (Actually, I'm literally a day late to start this challenge, not just figuratively . . . ) Anyway, while I'll touch base with ya'll, I'm going to pass on this challence since I'll be heading for vacation in 4 weeks (and believe me, I'm counting down every day).

My goal, though, is to get back on track with consistent exercise and clean eating. I've been doing a half-a**ed job of it for the past week, and just need to get back to good planning. All of you guys and gals are certainly an inspiration to me.

Regarding the brouhaha of last week, I was reminded of something an experienced lawyer told me when I was just starting out (yes, I'm a lawyer, so we'll have to adjust the tally ). Anyway, the pithy pearl of wisdom I've always remembered is this: people can disagree without being disagreeable. (Not that I'm implying that anyone was trying to be disagreeable!) This is something I try to remember, particularly in the heat of battle (or litigation). But, it's hard sometimes to convey nuance and good intentions via writing.

Susan: Congratulations on graduating from law school! You should be proud of your accomplishment.

JC: Thanks for answering that question about property management (this if from a few weeks ago). I asked because my brother (hold on: I just realized that your husband and my brother may be separated at birth: my bro, Ray, is in the military and married to a woman whose name begins with a "J". Doesn't your husband fit this profile? If so, wierd!) Anyway, Ray and I were thinking about buying rental property in the places that he was stationed. But, because he moved around a lot, we would end up having to rely on private property managers, and that made us too leery to invest in property. It's always in the back of my mind, though . . .

Hope everyone is doing really well. Good luck tomorrow -- Day 2 of this particular challenge.

Mox
Old 03-10-2003, 10:29 PM   #33  
Banned

Hey Everyone! Just a quick check-in to say it has been a great day! I am sooo stuffed! I hope I get used to all this food fast! I won't be online before leaving for work in the morning & don't have access while there, so I'll check in late tomorrow afternoon or evening!

Deb
Old 03-11-2003, 01:06 AM   #34  

Smile hey everyone !

well, well, i'm going to have to start coming in twice per day AT LEAST !! wow... we are really rocking now, aren't we?

i have two days down with great success (i started on sunday, the beginning of our week here). i'm soooo happy that i took the time to do such a detailed schedule for both food and workouts. now all i have to do is take a quick look at the document and i'm set for the day.

i started doing lunges yesterday, first time ever. OMG !! i made the mistake of doing them after the leg presses -- OUCH ! i'm super sore right now, to say the least. i'll have to work on my form though as i was a bit unbalanced at times !!

Kudos to Suzanne for getting the name change done so fast !! thanks

Tidey- congrats on the good free day !! i'm sure that you'll feel even better today since you didn't go all out with the food. i also found that they were way too much for me. you can probably find good recipes for cookies by just doing a google search. there is sooo much info out there!!

Laura - i've read a few articles on the slow rep method. sounds really interesting. i'd like to hear your results in a few weeks. i might do that for a routine next time. i life kind of slow-ish anyway, but not that slow -- yet

Karen - great idea again !! on the photo site that is. well, also on the name change. i also started to freak out a bit till i remembered that we were changing the name i thought Mel had gotten us all kicked off 3FC !! (just kidding Mel ) i think that i'll be fun to see our progress (even though i still haven't taken pictures) and also to put a face to a name.

Mel - that's a real low BMR, but that's probably because you don't weight much !!! i found that BFL was too much food also, way at the beginning. once i cut back to 5 meals it was much better for me. right now i'm doing a 1650 daily average which seems to be going well.

Jayne - great to have you here with us !!! it'll be fun getting to know you and hearing of your progress during this Boot Camp

Sel - didn't you start to shake after awhile? man, at 3 hours after my last meal i get a bit testy missing two entire meals would make me downright impossible to be around !!

JEC - it's soooo good to have you here more !!! you should wear that shirt to work..... i'm positive that you look great in it .

Mox- there you are!! where are you going on your vacation? i wouldn't want to join a challenge either if it was only 4 weeks to vacation.

Deb - you'll get used to the amounts of food. all of a sudden you'll find yourself craving your next meal once your metabolism changes around you'll wonder why you didn't eat like that all these years.

Mindi - back away from that chocolate !! you're doing real good though. save it for your free day though. i think that's what the free days are for, no?

i wish you all a great tuesday !! see you later.

take care,

adriana
Old 03-11-2003, 04:26 AM   #35  
Meg

Good morning, ladies who lift! Found ya with no problems. I like our new spot underneath “Exercise” and I hope more see it and check it out.

Day One went well for me and I managed to bake the chocolate chip cookies without tasting. Cardio was a blast because I downloaded some new songs for my MP3 player — what (I think) would be called techno/dance/house music (I am SO dating myself) and were recommended by one of the young guys at the gym. Well, the music was perfect for running — it’s not something I would ordinarily listen to — but it’s all about the beat and just made me want to fly. . So I ended up doing an extra 15 minutes of intervals. Also did shoulders with Damon the Demon personal trainer. His “wicked” idea turned out to be “running the rack” on side lateral raises — I’ve done that once or twice with bicep curls only. In case you’ve never had the privilege, it’s basically lining up a range of sizes of dumbbells and either starting from the heaviest and going to failure, dropping down to the next weight, going to failure etc. or else you can start low, do 10 or whatever, go up, repeat until you reach the highest and then go back down. Basically a huge drop set. And we did it twice, along with the usual overhead presses, front raises, rear delts and shrugs. Yesterday was one of the days that he could work out WITH me, rather than just training me, and that is so much fun (and he wears a tank top and I can watch his muscles …. ) Today is legs and cardio and abs.

Mel — I’m so glad you brought up the BMR issue because I need help understanding it. I also had a metabolic rate test (BodyGem) and I came out at 1480 but am confused about what that number means. I was told that it is the number of calories that you would burn if you stayed in bed all day and that you have to multiply by a formula to reach the number you would use just through daily activities, like walking around, showering, etc. THEN you add in exercise. Now Hussman, for example says: "On a workout day you'll burn about 1.6 times BMR. On a free day, you'll burn about 1.3 times BMR (If you've got a sedentary job or think your metabolism is slow, just use multipliers of 1.5 for workout days and 1.2 for free days)." If that’s right, on a workout day, I would use 2368 calories and you would use 2160. But your numbers are a lot lower. And I don’t know if that includes cardio or not, because even on workout days I do an hour of cardio which (even allowing for the inaccuracies of the machines) has to use maybe 300-400 calories. So can you help me figure all this out? I figured that if I keep my calories below 1500, then I should be losing, but maybe I’m wrong.

Deb — I’ll send you a private message (PM) on the plastic surgery and give you details. I’ve bored everyone here to tears already about it. Congrats on finishing the Challenge (and don’t be so low-key about it — that is a big accomplishment!)

Jayne — welcome — what a pretty name!

Laura — re slow lifting — lately I’ve been trying to be really strict with form and going slow on both the positive and the negative and it is so hard! My friend just loves to whip off bicep curls, crunches, whatever, as fast as possible (using a lot of momentum and wretched form) and looks at me like there’s something wrong. Never tried a 20 second rep, though …

Karen — brown rice sushi? Awesome! Why do you get everything in California about two years ahead of those of us in provincial PA (at least western PA — you guys in Philly are part of the cultured East Coast). My sushi problem is the two pounds of water that I invariably retain after I’ve had soy sauce.

Mox — my little sister is a partner at Sidley and Austin in Chicago. Tell me you’re not there too!

Leigh, Jamie, Adriana, Shelby, Tidey, JC, Sel, Mindi and all I forgot: have a great Day Two of Bootcamp. I love to hear what and how everyone is doing.

Meg
Old 03-11-2003, 04:49 AM   #36  

glad to hear that everyone's doing well... i am too!
after abandoning myself to dissolution over the weekend, that is.
i dragged myself out of bed at 6.45 am(major accomplishment for arts student!) and did an UBWO.
been eating pretty well, even when i went out to dinner tonight i had a caesar's with no meat or dressing(only a little cheese and just a few croutons).

tomorrow shall be even better...

together we can do this!
Old 03-11-2003, 05:29 AM   #37  
Meg

Default MrJim's New Gig

Karen -- I checked out the web site for MrJim's new band -- very cool -- and I want to come to the Animal Rescue Foundation gig -- "Animals On Broadway"! What about the cruise -- is that still happening and are you going? Great song list -- dance-all-night music! I love my husband-the-bank lawyer BUT it's not quite as ... exciting ... as MrJim-the-bass-player-for-a-cool-band .... Does he get groupies?
Old 03-11-2003, 05:56 AM   #38  
Central Coast Chick

Good evening all

Thanks for the welcome Meg and Adriana.

I did bellydancing tonight and, good lord, my abs are killing me! Anyone who thinks it isn't a workout need to come to a class with me. I was going to do pilates after but after I picked myself up off the floor after class, I decided not too. (There is really only so many camel rolls a girl can do. )

JC, I'm glad I was able to put you off the chocolate. You know where I am the next time you want to eat some.

I hope everyone has a great day

Jayne.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:26 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone -

You can feel the excitement on this board for our Boot Camp - it's great! Stay strong everyone!

My DH is away in LA at a conference for two weeks, and my kids (twins, 5) are off school for March break, so my workouts are tough to arrange - I am arranging double playdates as I can so will manage one workout every two days. Today I get to the gym - am going to double up and do both cardio and UBWO. I'm psyched.

Took the kids to the pool yesterday and treaded water for half an hour so got some exercise anyway.

Am eating superclean to make up for it - but I'm going a bit stir crazy already. Next week, school will be back in so I'll have 2 1/2 hours per day at the gym.

I love having the journals attached to everyone's posts - so many cool ideas for workout plans, learning so much about other programs other than BFL. Gives me lots of 'food for thought' for Challenge 2. I'm starting to realize that Challenge 1 won't get me 100% of the way to where I want to be, but that's okay. This doesn't feel like a diet, so the time doesn't really matter.

Take care all...

BethO
Old 03-11-2003, 07:34 AM   #40  
Peace with body and soul

Thanks for helping me beat off the chocolate monster ladies! Its tough, particularly during this week when I THINK I'm going to actually GET a period, (sorry males!), so my PMS cravings are powerful and all encompassing.

BF will like that analogy Mrs. J, of what to do w/the chocolately thighs. LOL oops best not go there.

Its particularly hard when nearly every day lately some article pops up on the health benefits of chocolate. I don't crave sweets as a rule, I'm more of a salty, fat and carb craving, like pasta w/alfredo sauce person. So this I know is a hormone thang...

Everybody have a journal then so that I can peek and see what you're all up to? Steal your best ideas? LOL
Old 03-11-2003, 08:19 AM   #41  
Ilene the Bean

Talking

Hi girls

My Gosh but we are a busy bunch! I love coming here and readings up on everyone’s posts... and Mega Posts there are here!!

Ledom ~~ this 2nd challenge hasn’t moved my weight either... It’s funny though, no scale weight changes, no inch change, but I do see it in the mirror, I have a difficult time understanding that...
Quote:
While I haven't been PERFECT, I do feel I have made the transition from diet to lifestyle.
My lifestyle has definitely changed, going back is not an option... In this 2nd challenge I have really honored my self-promise....and I feel much better about myself for that...

Susan – Belated congrats on your success of graduating from Law School... What an accomplishment !! I so admire you !!

Adriana – On lunges, I can’t seem to get the form down and I have been doing them for years and years. So what I do is used a block or a aerobic step bench about 8”-10” high and for some reason this helps with my balance... I tried last week without a block and I heard my knee crack... NOT a good sound... so I went back to a bench, this really works for me for my alignment...

Laura – I did the slow rep once when I worked with a trainer, I really enjoyed it ... Thanks for reminding me of it... I may try it next time around when I need a change again...

Mel – Poor girl, I laughed when Adriana gave you a dig about having us all kicked off... I hope your have wide shoulders so you can take the razzing you may get... We luvs you tho mel... This is why we tease you...

Jayne – Welcome to our world!!

Meg – I love drop sets! Or super sets or tri sets too.... If I can’t get my 10 reps in with drop and go lower so I can finish my reps... I’ve always done it this way but I never thought there was a name to it... Don’t you just love working WITH your trainer... I used to do that too when my trainer was at our gym, she’s now changed gyms and I truly miss her, she was such an asset to our gym, it’s unfortunate that our gym owner, being young, macho and stupid, didn’t realize this before he gave her an ultimatum. And she being the smart woman that she is said buhbye...

BethO – I so agree with you that this doesn’t feel like a “diet” I can live with it because I’m rarely hungry... unless I go over the 2.5 hours... that seems to be my magic number... then I will eat anything in sight...

On my fist day , yesterday, it was only 90% good food wise, I had a protein bar in a pinch... Why? Because I didn’t plan!!!!!!! Planning is key!! And my water wasn’t 100% either... So I’ll have to work hard on that today...

I did shoulders and cardio this morning...I did not feel like going at all... The cardio at first was awful, but then got better, because I kept repeating “....this is only for 20 mins out of 24 hours in the day... keep going... keep going...” and I actually ran, or was it jogged, or maybe slow jogging, for 1 full minute which is really good for me because I really dislike cardio or jogging ...

I’m not a lawyer, but worked as a receptionist for 4 of them once. Does that count?

Oh and BTW I took some pics... inches have not changed, scale weight = the same... but the pics tell the picture... pun intended...

Have a great day everyone....
Old 03-11-2003, 08:22 AM   #42  
ebe
noob

hi wow lots of posts.
thought i'd join in on the challenge just to add some extra motivation....started badly though by having 2 slices of pizza last night. hmph but had really nice workout earlier lol

today is chest and triceps and shoulders + at least 20 minutes on the treadmill and then 15-20 mins on the stairs.

i have a question for ya'll......if i run after doing weights, i usually get terrible pain in my side, like a side stitch. if i run without doing weights i don't get this pain really. although sometimes i do.....i did just move to florida and i find it a little hard to breathe sometimes in the warmer temps, could that be what its from? before i moved i was running about 4 miles a day.
its very frustrating.

adriana - yummmmmm lunges! for some masochistic reason i look forward to doing those. lately what i've done is squats, then static lunges, then hack squat.......ooooof it kills.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:59 AM   #43  
Peace with body and soul

JEESH I am a freak! I meant to post HERE about lunges but instead I started a new thread! LOL

If this is an example of what happens by trying to cut back a bit on my morning coffee, I shudder to see what the day brings.

Anyway, I wrote about how I managed to become a lunger instead of a faller during lunges. LOL
Old 03-11-2003, 09:04 AM   #44  

Morning, all!

Yes, let me add my congratulations to Susan on graduating from law school! What an awsome acomplishment!

Re: lunges. I agree with Lana. Way easier to do on a step. Also, make sure your knee doesn't go over the top of your foot. (I've always read that with lunges and squats). I really hate doing lunges, but the results are worth it.

Ugh, I have to wait to do my cardio today because I'm on standby from 9-12 for furniture delivery. They said I'm the 3rd stop, so they should probably be here closer to 10. Or 3pm

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 03-11-2003, 10:11 AM   #45  

Mrs Jim, really like the new name. Though it took me a few minutes to find it. I thought my bifocals weren't working.

Adriana, yes I got really cranky inside. Thank God it didn't show on my face and that I had enough steel to drive pass the Macdonald's on my way home.

Mel, I would like to understand the impact of BMR as well. Could you explain or point me to some reading material. Thanks.

Well off to do cardio on my spinner. Goal for this week, take off the padded seat and start to get accustomed to the regular seat in preparation for riding my bike. Can you say pain.

Have a good day everyone.

Sel

Last edited by Trinidad; 03-12-2003 at 10:21 AM.
Closed Thread