Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 10:47 AM   #76  
Peace with body and soul

Hey Sandy, I'm not Mrs. J, but wanted to tell you that I work out at home and pretty successfully too. I have a variety of dumbells, a barbell, a bench and an adjustable step which I use for leg presses, lunges. etc.

I also have a fitball and I'm going to begin incorporating that a lot more into my daily life as I am going to try to fit in a nightly PM Yoga video. I keep forgetting that I have this and I should use it daily for its very helpful for stress relief.

Ilene, Dr. Schwarzbein doesn't have a problem w/real butter so I'm thinking you'd not need to feel guilty even if you DID have real butter on your popcorn. And don't feel guilty! I think that unless one is planning a career as a competing bodybuilder, one has to incorporate treats, if you will, into one's real life. I mean I'm trying to build a healthy lifestyle that provides me w/good health but at the same time, allows room for real life too.

This means a little cheesecake now and then.

I guess you realize now that I'm not going to try to plan out a new life as a competitor...in the Crone Class. LOL
Old 03-12-2003, 10:51 AM   #77  
Shihan9988

Hi Folks,
I have been lifting on and off for years, also do cardio training, use to teach karate. (still do sometimes) Anyone mind if I join this group?
Old 03-12-2003, 10:56 AM   #78  

Default Hi all!

I've been trying to find the time at night to post my goals into a journal and post to say "Count me in on bootcamp" - but just haven't had the chance... so I will do it while at work today

DH and I are going to the Grand Canyon during the first part of May, so my goals will be centered around getting myself prepped for our hike on Bright Angel Trail (no - not the whole thing). We were there in 1999 when I was at my heaviest. We went down one switchback and I had to stop 4-5 times to catch my breath on the way up. That should have been my wake up call, but it wasn't. It wasn't until January of 2002 that I decided to change the lifestyle before some disease changed it for me.

I have joined the MSN group and will post pics when I get the chance.

To those of you who have children who have the ability, but are choosing not to use it: I'm a former Jr. High teacher and have been across the desk from many parents in your situation. My favorite line from one of the parents was "She's got her head screwed on tight, we just don't know if it's screwed on straight." or my other favorite with an exceptionally bright kid not doing well was mother saying "Looks like we are going to be having some "Coming to Jesus Time" tonight." Those kids and many more struggled through those times and came out great in the end. Hang in there!
Old 03-12-2003, 11:09 AM   #79  

Talking

Happy Wednesday Everyone.

Wow, it is really wonderful to come here and read everybody’s posts. Since most of my day is spent in front of a computer or on the phone discussing only business issues, it is definitely a much welcome reprieve.

Tidey - Saw your pictures. You can definitely see progress.

JC - You are the queen of organization. Just reading your schedule made me tired. I bow to your organizational skills.

Meg – You are my new hero. A size 4, wow. Gives me hope that my journey will also have a great ending.

Mindi – Totally agree with you about one spending their time as they please. Finally learning to say “no” was the best thing that happened to me.

Ilene – I wish. No, it isn’t me. It is another hero of mine, Phyllis Cohen who decided to become an athlete after 40. Phyllis runs a great website called Age is an attitude. (www.ageisanattitude.com). Phyllis’ picture is in a frame by my bed, which definitely helps me to wake up in a positive frame of mind.

Sandy – Welcome. Take one day at a time. You can do it.

Hello to everyone else. Have a great day.

Sel

Last edited by Trinidad; 03-12-2003 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:14 PM   #80  
Uber-Moderator!!

Sandy - I saw your post...amongst all the others

First off - it IS possible to get out of that fat suit! Stay positive - a good attitude goes a LONG way in achieving your goals.

Overall, I would say that rather than focusing on what you *CAN'T* do, focus on what you CAN do to achieve your goals! I am a great fan of JOURNALING. Get a little blank book (I get 'em from Old Navy for about $3 on sale) and just start writing your goals, your fears, your feelings. No one but you ever need see what you write. You would be amazed at how writing what is in your heart can cleanse your soul! (without getting too Tony Robbins here). I've recommended this book before - but I would love to recommend a book by Deborah Low titled "The Quest for Peace, Love, and a 24-Inch Waist". It's a slim paperback with some mind exercises that can really help you. I always think of this short horse story I read once - most of it forgotten but the title of it was "Throw your Heart Over" about show jumping - the girl was afraid of going over a jump and she was told "Throw your heart over and your horse will follow". This same theory I use in fat loss - there is really no such thing as 'the easy way to lose weight'. Changing those old habits that got us fat is HARD. You turn on the TV, or drive down the road and see all these signs, ads, inducements to eat foods that aren't healthy. The trick is to not think of this as a 'diet' - because diets are temporary. Rather, think of making permanent lifestyle changes.

So anyway - you say you like to sleep in...and you have a busy schedule during the day...like all moms with infants I guess...and of course in the evening, I bet you're WIPED OUT. Personally, I'd say the best time for you to work out would be early in the morning. I know that's going to be a radical change for you...and will require you to 'train' your daughter not to sleep with you or to wake up earlier...but believe me, once you make it a habit, after awhile you will find yourself waking up early and looking forward to your workout! And ya know, I bet you will have tons more energy - after all you will be starting your day taking care of yourself first, ya know - and that means you can be a better Mom too!

I would definitely suggest looking into joining a gym. Check your Yellow Pages - if you can find a 24-hour gym that would be awesome - but go and visit some gyms at the times you would be working out there - check 'em out. Find one close to your home - within walking distance if possible. If you absoultely can't join a gym, then check your home again to see if you have a corner that you can fit an adjustable weight bench in. I know that Susanje has a set of PowerBlocks (adjustable dumbbells) and works out from home - perhaps she (or someone else) will chime in on the home workout side of things - I'm a gym rat myself

Lots of gyms also have reasonably priced day care - the 24 Hour Fitness I belong to has afternoon day care 7 days a week which is pretty cool! A lot of YMCAs are also very family oriented. Getting your family - hubby and kids - involved in working out is very motivating and will help them as well as you!

Whew! I think I just wrote a book. See ya and don't be a stranger!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:26 PM   #81  

THANK YOU ALL for posting these last two days! Every post has helped me somehow, and I just wish I could hug every one of you (Even Rich, who didnt post )

I just had a SUUUUPER LBWO! Made a new PB (personal best, not peanut butter) of 25kg for squats, calf raises, and good mornings! I'll try for 28KG next week whew! Im tired! Leg pressed 100kg as well!

Meg, your post about residual body image made my day! I was about to send a pair of workout/gym pants back (catalog order) after just LOOKING at them and thinking "not a snowballs chance in ****" but I re-opened the bag and tried them on....... I now have a new pair of pants! You should have seen me do the happy dance They are a bit tight, and the two racing stripes down the sides are a teeny bit further apart over my hips (ahh the miracle of lycra!) but they FIT! I fit into a 12/14!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never would have tried them on if you hadnt posted, so thanks again!

I'm going to take new progress pics this week (gotta borrow the digicam) and I'll post them in L&S and on the group mrs. Jim set up.

I also posted a new recipie in the recipie section for oven chicken, if anyone is interested.

Lana/Irene, your encouragement for me helped me thru a very tough 20MAS today. Thank you!! (begone foul pot-belly!)

Hope you're all having good days!
*hugs*
Tidey
Old 03-12-2003, 12:33 PM   #82  

Default jeez!

I think I am going to have to stop working out to keep up with all the posts!!!!! NEVER!

TOMWelcome! I know you from the diabetes thread. Did you get my PM from last week? You'll love it here.

MEGWearing pearls while lifting! I almost fell out of my chair when I read that. YES YES YES, I still see myself as fat. I go to the bigger sizes automatically every time. Even when I was 135 and in a 9, I still 'needed' to lose another 20# - everyone was telling me I looked great, I just never saw it. On the other hand, I never really knew how BIG I'd gotten either. I could write pages and pages on the subject. One time, I thought I'd try on a 16 - hmmm too big. Maybe a 14 will do. Nope, still too big. A 12? NOOOOOOO. I can't be a 12! Sure nuff, they fit like a dream. Still didn't seem right to me - I thought the tag was wrong. Ahhhh, the things we do to ourselves.

MELhang in there. I know how tought that is. I WAS that kid in jr/sr high. High test scores/low grades. I hated school - bored me to tears. No one said 'boo' to me about it at school either. Mom was at her wit's end. I tell now her how sorry I am for doing that to her.

MINDI I have been invited to so stinkin many parties I could just puke! HA! You want me to go to a candle party? WHAT? A jewlery party too? No thanks. Actually I DID go to that one - UG! It was just too hideous for words that stuff. BIG gawdy 80's rich texas lady stuff. I shudder when I think about it. So, now no one even asks me to go! PERFECT!

KARENThanks for setting up the photo site - you da bomb!

POO CHIP UP GURL - it'll happen. Just look at a body part you love, one that you've worked hard on (not that you haven't worked ALL of them hard! ) I look at my calfs and think, 'hmmm, coming along nicely.' and I flex them and feel very proud. In the bathroom all by myself, that is.

Hi to everyone else! I am lovin boot camp! 100% clean on food. (Planned FD will be Sunday - a brunch for a friend's mom who lost her husband in Oct (he was like my dad). It's her birthday and all the 'girls' are going to take her out. ) WOs have been KILLER! WAHOOOO. I desinged a new routine and I am lovin it. Kickin my own butt.

WORKOUT QUESTION
Here's my split. Is it too much? Each body part worked 2 x week. Cardio 3 x week.

M/Th Chest - Tris/Bis - Shoulders
T/F Quads - Hams - Calf - Back
M/W/S Cardio - Abs

Lemme know what ya think. Thanks

GOT to go get some work done.

Last edited by Niffer; 03-12-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:53 PM   #83  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

WOW! You guys really gave me alot of great advice. The weird thing about me that I "KNOW" what the right thing to do is and I "KNOW" how to do it, if I really set my mind to it. I just stay sooooooooooo completely stressed out from CONSTANT KIDS all day (plus my husband works at home) that I just haveno motivation to anything but survive through each day.

I will buy a journal, as suggested by Mrs. Jim, and write down goals, etc. I've just been waiting for that "Something" to come along and change me, something that clicks inside.

I'm going to re-read BFL, and study it. I also am going to print out pictures of the wonderful women from the site that Mrs. Jim sent, "ageisanattitude.com". Unbelievable are those women.

Thanks for the support .

Sandy
Old 03-12-2003, 01:00 PM   #84  

oh wow !! keeping up with the Ladies (and Gents) that Lift is quite the daily project !!

i also want to say how much i just LOVE it here !!! the energy permeates through the screen

anyway, cardio was done today, twice. i know, i know.... save it i love that stuff !! fat be gone !!! stationary bike & swimming in the early afternoon and a 6.5k power walk this evening. oh yeah, i'm in heaven alright

eating is 100% on the money too. i almost broke down a few hours ago and had something that i haven't had in ages, but then i realized that i hadn't eaten an entire meal !! for a bit there i thought i was having cravings, when the whole time i was just plain hungry !! God i can be dense at times!!!

Amy i'm too envious for words right now !! i LOVE the Bright Angel Trail !!! we used to do it when i was in high school and college. that's before i gained about 100 pounds. but i would willingly roll on the trail right now if i had a chance !! you are soooo lucky !!!

Sandy - welcome!! i also think that if you want this bad enough you can find the way to do it. Karen once again put it into words beautifully( she has such a gift for doing that, doesn't she??). find a way, you'll thank yourself one million times over for making the effort !! good luck. i hope that we'll see you here often too.

BlackPowerTom - welcome to our great community. it's great having you here with us.

Meg there is nothing that i can say that can possibly express the hope and inspiration that you give me when you write something like "i'm a size 4 now" !!! you are just incredible !!

anyway, the piles of laundry are calling my name and saying "we stink, we stink".

let's keep on keeping on !!!!

take care everyone,

adriana
Old 03-12-2003, 01:11 PM   #85  
Meg

Hi Sandy — I too am not MrsJ but have to throw in my two cents also. I can’t help you on the home gym but want to echo everyone when they said that if you really want it, you’ll find a way. I’m not going to pretend that’s easy to lose weight — we have all tried so many times and know better — but you can do anything if you want it badly enough. You have to have that passion to change and better your life and your health and your body burning like a flame inside of you. You will have to make it one of the top priorities in your life. In the eleven months that I was losing, I was maniacal in my devotion to my eating and exercise plans (gee, I guess I still am!). Nothing and no one was going to get in my way or stop me (or I was fully prepared to run them over). There is a solution to every problem and an answer to every question if you are creative and look for them. Sandy, Adriana, everyone who is trying so hard — I have no doubt that YOU can succeed and reach your goals. I tell everyone that if I — at age 47, hypothyroid, fat all my life — can lose 122 pounds, then ANYONE can because there sure isn’t anything special about me! Just do it one day at a time (and have fun while you are doing it).

Hi Black Powder Tom — love to have you join! Jump in and post away.

Sel — I like the idea that age is attitude. How else can I explain feeling like I’m 18? How can I feel old when I drive around all day listening to the same music on the radio that I listened to when I was in high school? Layla … you got me on my knees …

Meg

PS — Hi Ilene! I like that better than Lana.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:19 PM   #86  
Mel

Default Greetings

Welcome to Mel's soap opera, part ??
After last night's dinner (turkey breast, summer squash, onions, lemon juice, and romaine lettuce (yeah, I know- no "official carb") I started swelling. Ended up looking like Donald Duck with bug eyes. When I souldn't swallow anymore, hubby trundled me off to the ER where they hooked me up to IV benedryl. Very relaxing if you've never tried it. No eggwhites, so I don't think it's the egg whites.
I did make it home for meal 6 (cottage cheese, oatmeal and natural PB) so I got my carb. I wouldn't let them put me on a glucose drip, and had a bit or a wrangle over that. I think they were finally just pleased to be rid of me when they let me go. My face still looks a bit weird, but so what's new!
I did do all my workouts and food and water yesterday, and so far am on track today. I have LEGS with a trainer in about an hour and still have a benedryl hangover.

Welcome Tom, Sandy, and any other new folks I've missed.

Niffer: Yes, I think that's too much. Your larger muscle groups need more than 2-3 days to recover. Legs, back and chest generally require 4-5 days. That is one of my beefs with by the book BFL- the recovery time.

Gotta scoot- will really try to get a post in tonight!

mel
Old 03-12-2003, 01:31 PM   #87  
Uber-Moderator!!

Okay, high school songs and Lanaii's name change has me humming..."Come on Eileen, Tu-Ray-Ay" (Remember that song - Dexy's Midnight Runners?)

Posted a great article from today's San Francisco Chronicle in the Articles thread. If you have a LOT of time, it's worth a read! Ya gotta love it when articles about healthy eating make it to the front page, especially with all the other stuff going on in the world as well as locally...

I gotta check out that Age Is Attitude site today! I REALLY, TRULY do not feel 40, which is why I'm constantly amazed that I am actually 40.

So today I did quads and hams and all I can say is WOO HOO! But I have lost SO much strength - that and I was taking it easy. I KNOW I'm going to be sore tomorrow! Here's what I did:

Leg Press - 90# x 15, 140# x 12, 180# x 10, 230# x 10, 270# x 10 (last month I was topping out at 550+ pounds)

Dumbbell lunges - 3 sets of 12 holding 10#, 12# and 15# 'bells (these REALLY felt great - my right leg is still 'tight').

Lying Leg Curls - 3 sets of 15 - 35#, 40#, 45#

Abductor/Adductor machines - 3 sets each (just for fun and I was waiting for the leg extension machine to be free).

Leg Extensions - 3 sets at 30#, 35#, 40#.

And did all my reps SLOW and carefully.

Can't wait to see Dr. Clark today!! just a few more hours from now...I still feel a bit numb in places but have been massaging to help that out. Perfectly normal from all I've read. Laters!!!
Old 03-12-2003, 01:48 PM   #88  

Mel, do you use lemon juice a lot? A lot of people have allergic reactions to citrus fruits. My oldest is allergic to nuts. I don't think he's allergice to peanuts anymore, but walnuts, pecans, make him break out in hives. Or they used to. He's managed to avoid nuts for the past 5 years so I don't really know if he's outgrown it.

Welcome, Sandy! I'm not Mrs. Jim either (and I don't play her on tv! ), but I agree with everyone here. You've got to make the time and really want it. Even if it's impossible for you to get to the gym, you can still do stuff at home. Buy some cardio tapes, an exercise band, some wrist and ankle weights. They may not be much as you get stronger, but it's a start. Also, for around $200, you can get a Total Gym. We have one (although we don't use it anymore because we belong to a gym) and believe me, you get a workout on it. Anyway, my point is that if you keep at it and start seeing results, mentally or physically, you'll find out what an incredible feeling it is. And if you have an off day, that's okay too. We can't be 100% all the time.

Tidey--I saw your pictures and I definitely see changes! Yay!

Hi to everyone else!

And damn you, Karen! Now I have that song in my head and I keep seeing guys with overalls!

I'm trying to remember if they had another hit?

Last edited by shelbyw; 03-12-2003 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:59 PM   #89  
Ilene the Bean

Oh KAREN!!!!!!

My so called FRIENDS, and one of them is called KAREN, sings that to me ALLLLLLL the time!!!!!! The other night she dug the tape out of moth balls, and we danced to it..... this coincidence is too funny... She also changes the words to: "C'mon Ilene your face makes me SCREAM....." OOOOh I could shoot her....

I don't have time to post more.... because, I forgot to tell yas that last week I won a mountain bike with Tim Horton's Rrrroll up the Rrrrim to Win Contest and I have to go the post office to send it by registered mail....WOOOHOOOO.... Gotta go .....

See yas....
Old 03-12-2003, 03:16 PM   #90  

Default Home Gym

Sandy,

Maybe this picture of my home gym will give you some ideas. It is located in a small corner of my bedroom. I have the powerblock Pro Set (goes from 15 lbs. to 90 lbs.), a Johnny G Schwinn spinner, weight bench, dumbbells, an Olympic bar & plates (not in the picture) and powerbands by a company called Bodylastics. My gym cost my husband and me about $1,500. I am definitely a bargain hunter, but you can spend a lot less money and have a really good home gym.

When I started my first BFL challenge I bought my dumbbells (8, 10 & 12 lbs) from Wal-mart for pennies. It was such a big kick for me to purchase new sets of dumbbells as my strength increased. Since we were running out of space, my husband recommended that we buy the power blocks and now I absolutely love them. The bench was purchased online at the Sport Authority.com for about $ 100.00 with free shipping. It was very easy to set-up and has withstood my niece and nephew using it as a horsy during their visits. The powerbands from Bodylastics enable me to perform many gym exercises. IE; pulldowns & seated rows.

Here’s some websites for you to check out:
www.walmart.com – dumbbell & weight sets
www.Powerblock.com - adjustable dumbbells
www.thesportauthority.com – all kinds of weightlifting equipment. (Check for sales!!!)
www.Bodylastics.com – adjustable powerbands that can be used in place of dumbbells and barbells.

Make your budget first and then find what works for you. Sorry to be so long-winded. Hope this helps you.

Sel
Closed Thread