Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #241  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi everyone, it's a wonderful weekend. I've been out hiking twice in the mountains, once to an area I haven't been to before. Hiked down by the river and the rapids. It was so beautiful.

Welcome Penpal, we are definitely neighbors. My son also goes to OIT and was supposed to graduate this June, but didn't do his senior project, so he has to do that next year. He's a software engineering student. What is your sone going for? Hey, my birthday is in August too. I'm hoping to hit the 180's by then.

Nikki, I don't remember what I was at when I started the June 8th goal, but I do know that I want to lose 10 more pounds by July 17th (day I fly back to MN for a trip). BTW, how was the big date????

Judy, it's hard not to be moved by Memorial Day. I'm definitely not anti-military since my DH is military but I'm definitely anti-Iraq war even though I totally support the troops. Just the fearless commander in chief I don't support. Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend and enjoy your homespa.

Carol, hope your camping trip is great. I thought of you a bunch yesterday when we hiked by several campers.

Freda, marblee, and everyone else, hope you're both doing great!
Marie
Old 05-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #242  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Hi, Penpal! Congratulations on doing so well! I hope you like this thread. We've had our ebbs and flows, but it's been plugging away for quite a while.

Marie, we're on the same page re the guys in charge...Several of my family members have served in the military once we were allowed to (although none are on active duty at the moment). I'm angry about how the military has been used to support policies I'm very much against. Right now the streets are buzzing with motorcycles (the annual Rolling Thunder); it sounds like the cicada invasion a few years back...Otherwise it's all very solemn and sad. Coming home from the grocery store, I could see the people decorating the gravesites, and the elderly vets everywhere.

It's been a good weekend so far. I'm being healthy and thoughtful, working out and eating on program. Back to the laundry--judy
Old 05-28-2006, 07:00 PM   #243  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Marie & Judy - thanks for the warm welcome!

Marie - our son is in the Mechanical Engineering class that is graduating in a couple of weeks. He just went to a retreat this weekend with his CF group to Lake of the Woods. I checked on Tripcheck and the weather has been awful there - rainy and about 33 deg. - it even snowed a bit. Still, I hope they had a good time and managed to get outside between rain showers! Of course, it's supposed to be in the 70's by the middle of next week!

What a coincidence that we both have birthdays in August (when is yours?) and we have about the same goal for our birthdays. Maybe we can inspire each other to reach our goals.

I envy you for going hiking. I would love to be able to hike (or even walk a bit) but I'm having a lot of trouble with the arthritis in my feet right now. I'm still able to work out at Curves 3x a week, so I hope I can keep doing that. I was reading that you've got orthotics - it reminded me to dig mine out and try them again (I found them uncomfortable in most of my shoes) but they are supposed to help if you wear them regularly.

I hope everyone has a good Memorial Day. God bless our troops!
Old 05-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #244  

S/C/G: 198/170/130

Height: 5'3

hello ladies-

MM- I wil join you on the June 17th 10 lb goal if you don't mind.

Penpal- I don't know if you remember me but we were on a thread with Misty for awhile. Anyhow goof to see you and congrats on all the loss since I last saw you.

This weekend my big date was great. We had a real nice dinner. I put the diet on the side but didn't do to bad. i made dinner my only meal on Saturday. I had a steak, chowder and salad with a bake potato. I have not weighed at all since friday. I am due for my TOM so I will try not to freak when I weigh. Friday night I had a salad and yesterday I had a banana, and split a heap of fries with my boyfriend for lunch. Then I had 1 sausage for dinner. Today so far I had a banana and some salad. Not bad for the weekend. We will see what the scale says tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #245  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I spent the afternoon cleaning my bedroom, which wasn't the most exciting thing to do, but it was awfully rewarding. The room feels like a calm refuge again, instead of a yard sale. I had a good workout this morning (Fat-Burning Aerobics for Dummies) and have been eating lots of veggies.

Nikki, I hope the scale reflects all of your discipline and hard work! You are really bearing down to meet your goal.

Penny, I have arthritis, too, in my knees. I can walk, if I'm religious about 'sensible shoes,' but hiking wacks my knees out. I go to Curves, too. Tell me what you think of it.

I've revised my year-end goal to 200 instead of 190. I've gotten off to a slow start this year, and I'd rather focus on a goal that is a stretch but still doable. If I average at least a pound a week, sometimes more, I'll get there. I'm feeling really good and in the zone right now, wish me luck!

This week will be a short one for most of us. Hope everyone gets off to a great start!

judy
Old 05-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #246  

Thanks Judy. It is so nice to have support here. Good luck with your goal. You have 6 months to go I know you can do it.

see you in the morning
Nikki
Old 05-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #247  
Brit Chick

Nikki - Sure, I remember you from way back! Long time no see. You are doing great too I'm glad we're on the same thread again. My weight loss has slowed down lately, so I'm trying a few things (a bit more protein & a few more calories) to shake things up and get losing again. Calorie counting and keeping a food log seems to be working for me but I get impatient sometimes .

Judy - I have orthotics too, but I don't use them . I think I have shin splints (going to see doc next week) so I'll probably have to start putting them in my shoes again. I sympathize with you for having arthritis in your knees. I have it in my feet, right knee and hip but I must say it's gotten quite a bit better since I lost some weight, especially my knee - it doesn't hurt going up and down stairs anymore! I love Curves (especially since I can't walk far) and I think the leg exercises have strengthened my knee. The arm/shoulder exercises have also fixed my frozen shoulder. I was a wreck when I started there 2-1/2 years ago and feel much fitter now (except for my stupid leg). I'm hoping my feet get better too (maybe after I lose some more weight) so that I can do some walking. Gosh I don't usually whine so much, but it's been getting me down! . Good luck for reaching your goal

Have a great week everyone!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #248  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi everyone, the BBQ is being slow so I though I'd jot a quick note. Penpal, I love my orthotics. I can tell when I don't where them. I have bone spurs in both heels and plantar fas... (sp?) so if I don't use them, I'm miserable. The only shoes that I can wear without them is my TEVA and my Berkenstock sandals. Even then, not everyday. I think I have arthritis in my hip seeing that exercising isn't making the pain go away. But for now, I just keep walking and taking Gloucosimine. Gee my spelling is atrocious.

It's also my TOM so I'm not weighing in tomorrow. No need for bad surprises. But Friday for sure.

Nikki sounds like your date went well and CONGRATS on getting back on track right afterwards. That's a major accomplishment. Also, my Goal for 10 pounds is July 17th - no way can I do 10 pounds by June 17th (although I wish I could).

Judy, I always view cleaning a room like a good enema. Yucky to do but well worth it. Good luck on the revised goal.

Penpal, it was 30 degrees this morning and Lake of the Woods is about 30 miles from my house and up about 1000 feet. I'm sure it was colder there. Brrrr. I want summer to come back!!!!! BTW, when you're down here for your son's graduation, maybe we can get together for a skinny coffee. I would have suggested a walk, but that sounds like it might be torture for you.

Marie
Old 05-29-2006, 10:57 PM   #249  
Brit Chick

Marie - I'd have loved to get together with you for a coffee, but we're leaving here early, going straight to the graduation ceremony and returning the same day. We can't stay overnight as I get dizzy from the altitude . Thanks for the suggestion, though. Please look me up if your up this way sometime and we can have that skinny latte!

I started taking glucosamine and a high dose of fish oil a couple of months ago and my hip is quite a bit better. I think my arthritis comes and goes depending on the weather or something (maybe food related too?) I don't take any pain pills as I'm afraid they might mess something else up. I did take Vioxx for a couple of years It worked great but at what price???? I thought it was too good to be true and my naturopath talked me into giving it up right before it was banned.

My son and his friends had a good time at Lake of the Woods despite the weather and even went kyaking and did some skeet shooting. At least the weather is nice today for the holiday.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:06 AM   #250  
fIREFLY

S/C/G: 179/172.5/165

Height: 5'7''

penPal welcome aboard the more the better. Sounds like you fit right in nicely. The camping was fun I caught the biggest fish 2 days in a row! We didn't keep them let um go! It was fun just catching them for a bit. I didn't do too bad and was brave enough to do the scale. No loss no gain so woo glad thats past me. It is hard being away for sure. I did have a couple of coolers and 1 reg. soda, some choc. covered peanuts, 2 marshmallows and a few chips. But I also had my reduced fat crackers, cheese and limited my breads. I made the girl friends some omelets and we put them with some shredded cheese in our whole wheat pocket breads they were great. The girls liked them too. The guys slept in what brats they usually cook breakfast. But we ate healthier as I cooked instead. I tried to becareful but it was hard having some extra around that were healthy was a good idea. The guys even ate my cheese it reduced fat crackers. I tried not to over do it was tough for sure. But when I did eat extras I limited myself. We took lots of walks. Just to get to the bathroom is a hike up the hill. I managed to fall down it two times with sandals on. Changed to sneakers before breaking a leg. The sunset was breath taking on Sunday. Such a pretty lake. We did manage to enjoy going boating no swimming this time. Lots of walking did the pier which is about a mile long really cool. Lots of boats were out this weekend. Some rain on friday and some monday early morning little thunder storm thank God for a camper. So my wt. didn't go down but for where and what I did I am okay with it. I set myself for 4lbs. by the 8th. So forward march I say! This week I am only in the office 2 days then I am going with a friend to a conference in Saratoga Springs about 2 hrs. away pretty area. On friday its over at 12 time to shop and explore. I plan on watching my intakes closely.I hope to swim at the hotel and maybe workout as well. Its a Holiday Inn usually there is a workout room. I will take some healthy foods along for inbetween times, fruit and veggie snacks. Judy I am with you on the war. My father and grandfather served years back. I just read some kids vandalized some grave sites. Why would some one do such a thing. Boy life sometimes pays back I'd be scared of the consequences for sure. Awful thing to do. Nikki keep moving forward I would be really pleased with 9lbs. one lb. not lost isn't a big deal you should be so proud of yourself for losing the 9 its not easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!
Marie your walk sounds wonderful glad you got out there. Camping is lots of fun but work also getting ready then unpacking. But its all worth it . I liked getting into my own bed last night. It was around 87 degrees here yesterday a hot one first of the season. I think we are in for one hot summer. I can't get over the kids will be home on the 8th time goes by so quick!
Take care and everyone have a super day watching cals, exercising and reaching for their goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:13 AM   #251  
fIREFLY

S/C/G: 179/172.5/165

Height: 5'7''

Marie I forgot to mention your loss! Great good your doing well passed me right by. I will have to work really hard to catch up with you! Keep it up and you will meet the family with a lovely new outfit on and feel like a million bucks in it. Good luck keep pushing forward it tends to get easier when we see some results to know all our hard work is paying off.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:55 AM   #252  

Hello ladies-

Penpal-you are really doing awesome.

cacmsc- I am glad you had a nice camping trip. It sounds like you stayed on track.

Marie - I meant July 17 I was just thinking its already June so I guess that is why I typed June. Awesome on your loss!

I weighed this morning and as I suspected I am up 2 lbs from bloat Tom and not being perfect this weekend. Realistically I know that I its ok and by tomorrow I will probably be down one of the two if not both just from drinking my water again. Not time to panic yet. Besides my weigh in is not until Friday so I have time to lose yet this week.

Nikki
Old 05-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #253  
Lifelong Journey Member

Morning everyone, sounds like everyone had a nice weekend. I bought a new Weber BBQ to go along with our gas one and we BBQ'ed the steak on it last night. Yummy. Also had a baked potato with 1 T sour cream and fresh chives from my garden. It was a good dinner and worth the reduction of calories earlier in the day. I didn't weigh in this am since TOM is being pesty.

PenPal, no problem on getting together. I will be in Portland but only the airport in July. Maybe some day.

Nikki, you're note solidified why I didn't weigh in. Good for you not to get upset about it, but when I get an undeserved weight gain, I stew about it even though I know it was temporary. I put in my diet software the start date of our 10 pound challenge so I'd know what I was at when we began.

Carol, sounds like your camping trip was fun. I used to like to camp (tents) but now I like hotel rooms. I guess I'm spoiled. Plus, living where I do, I have a house where most people would choose to camp so I can sleep in my bed and still hike the mountains in the morning. BTW, that is what I'm going to do this morning - once the temperatures warm up some. It's about 35 degrees right now. Brrr.

DH is going back to swing shift starting today so I'll be "alone" in the evenings. I put that in quotes since DS, GF and DGS live with us, but they usually in their living area and I don't see them a whole lot. I'm not looking forward to this.

Well, I'll chat with you later.
Marie
Old 05-30-2006, 10:50 AM   #254  

Marie - I just calculated there are 48 days until July 17. We can defintely lose 10 lbs in 48 days.

Nikki
Old 05-30-2006, 02:03 PM   #255  

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone, sounds like you had a good holiday! And most of you managed to stay on tract, unlike me. It was our first barbecue of the seasonl and I over did! Not a great deal, but I had a steak, 1/2 a baked potato, some pasta salad (low fat dresing). I didn't have dessert, just watermellon! Not too bad.

We have a Memorial site not far from where we live, with the names of the fallen souldiers from all the wars on it (local). We took the grandkids and talked about it. Chan understood a little but of course the 3 year old just had a good time running around. We explained how we have to be grateful to all the soldiers and the sacrafice they made for all of us! I totally agree with the rest of you about this war now! I am thankful to each and every soldier there. But I feel this isn't "our" war, it's Bush's war". Don't want to step on any toes.

Our weather has gone from cold to HOT. the holidays were miserabally hot, in the high 90's. I told you I would be complaining about the heat, after comlaining about the cold all spring!

Niki, good to hear that your big date went well! Hope you had lots of fun!

Judy, we spent the weekend cleaning too, with the exception of the barbecue! We got the front porch and the garage cleaned and some more of the basement! It is such a wonderful feeling!

Penpal, I took vioxx too and stopped just before it was recalled. I still blame it for my liver emzymes being messed it! But it did make me feel so much better. I haven't found anything to replace it that has helped so much! Maybe someday they can make a safer drug that will be as beneficial. I won't be quick to hop on the bandwagon though. I think I would fear anything they put out!

Marie, You live in our vacation spot! I can only dream about such a place! Maybe after we retire.

Carol, ( i never knew your name before) your camping trip sounds like so much fun! And another trip planned! You gadabout! I want to go too!

Take care everyone, and keep up the good work! Freda
Closed Thread