Old 02-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #46  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

We went to see Taken instead of Frost/Nixon. It is absolutely excellent. You all will have to see it.

Got the house clean, laundry done, sheet washed and back on the bed, now I am getting ready to go to the grocery. Think I will be Vegetable Beef Soup. It sounds yummy right now.

Catcha later gaters.

Love and Hugs,
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #47  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
The day of the big bbq has arrived so I'm not spending a lot of time in here today.
For those of you suffering in the cold, spare a thought for those too warm. The State of Victoria had it's highest ever recorded temperature yesterday and Melbourne's mercury hit 46.4C (around 120F) and the bushfires which the weary firefighters had under control last week have broken out again, helped by a 100kph wind and some more homes have been lost and peoples lives devastated. Adelaide recorded it's umpteenth day of over 40C and several people have lost their lives due to heat exhaustion. Up north we have the flipside of the coin and North Queensland has again been deluged with rain. Some areas have now had over a metre of water - that's 3 feet of water - fallen on their region. Roads are flooded, help must be helicoptered into some areas, people are getting around in boats rather than cars and over 3000 homes have been ruined or badly damaged by flood waters. The town of Ingham managed to see waterlogged ground as 3 metre floods receded on Friday but are again underwater today as more heavy rains fell on their already waterlogged farms and forests. There are crocodiles floating down the main street believe it or not.

Happy is off cleaning, the others are enjoying their weekends and I must go too. I'll be back with some updates to the bbq later today. Time to crank up the routine. Washing, sweeping, tidying, cooking, I'm close to ready because I did such a lot yesterday. Today I need to dress the Duck and make the salads and we are about as ready as we will ever be. Dessert is done apart from making it look pretty. See ya

Last edited by Shad; 02-07-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I was shocked by all the downed utility poles and trees. My uncle has 15 acres of woods by his house and there was at least 90% damaged to the tree's. The good thing about this week end is that I got to see at least 30 turkey in my uncle's back yard. My cousin and uncle had started to clean up some yesterday as well as my cousin's wife and son.

I had to back track on my way to Paragould because the utilities crew had the highway blocked. There were wires laying across the highway also but other vehicles were driving across them so did I. I can believe that some people will be with out power until mid March. It's awful. Another uncle, who lives outside of Paragould in the country, power was still not on yesterday but crews were in the area.

You know the bp med with the fluid med I think is helping me. I've lost around 4 pounds of fluid this week and this morning my bp was 125/80. I'm down to 185.4in pounds. I'm very happy.

Have a good Sunday.

Last edited by ceejay52; 02-08-2009 at 09:10 AM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #49  

Happy New Year to all the Worldies,
I hope all of you are doing well and ready to tackle the new year! My dog Toby and I journeyed down to Boise for the Christmas time with my boys and GF's. The ride down was more than a little hair raising but made it safe and enjoyed myself immensely. My oldest is getting married Oct. 3rd. so that is wonderful and a good motivator for his Mom to getting moving!!!!
My brother suffered a stroke and things have been topsy turvy for my family up in the Valley. I went home last weekend and didn't accomplish much but it was a good visit.
I have been working very long hard hours at work to get things in order for the new year. I only have a few more good years in me to secure my retirement. Yes, I am sooo grateful for my great job!!
The weekly newspaper had a pic of a wolf chasing deer in my neighborhood last week. Yikes, this couple took a pic of him right off their deck. This is below my house. I have known they are up here since I moved here. I never say the W word took the life of my 1st Toby but my bones know it was so.
I did a good shopping trip on my way home last week and I have new vitamins, good food to cook. My focus is going to be on portion control and getting in my 10,000 steps or more each day. So far pretty good. Feeling this body age is not exactly a treat more like a trip through the house of horrors!!!!!
Hope everyone is well. I will try to make my way here more often. Blessings to each of you and your families.
Peace,
Rose
Roseblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #50  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good morning ladies,

Nice to see you again Rose. Congrats on the son's upcoming wedding. I think for alot of us here, we are close to retirement and trying to squirrel away as much as possible. Not the best of times to be in such a shakey economy.

Will we all be in our 80's bagging grocery at the Walmart?

Shad - I hope your BBQ turned out well. News of the devistation back home is coming across the pond here. We are hearing more about it. How terrible for those people. And 3 feet of water - I can't imagine. My heart goes out to those who have lost their homes and the little precious things you have in your home that mean so much and are irreplaceable.

We have gone from freezing last week to 70 degree temps this weekend. Although it's wonderful and great to throw open the windows and doors, this is also a scary time when the mix of warm and sudden cold air can meet and make for tornadoes.

Ceejay - glad you hear you are feeling a bit better and dropped some pounds along with it. I had hear a bit about it being so bad up north but until you get a description such as you have given, it's hard to fathom just how bad things are. I can't imagine trying to stay in my house with no power for 2 months not to mention the massive clean up that needs to take place from broken trees and lines. Thanks for the reminder about just how much water weighs. Geez! I guess I'll have to limit the fluids before weigh in

Annie you are ahead of me on the cleaning and laundry, guess that means you win

I did get the kitchen cleaned up yesterday. DH said he never realized we had so much counter space *snark, snark* Told him it was his job as much as mine to make sure it stayed that way. Once again I am realizing that if you chose to keep alot of stuff, you have to spend time and effort organizing and cleaning that stuff. Do I need 30 cookbooks anymore when probably for the last 5 years if I want a recipe, I go to the Internet? The one thing the cookbooks do help with is pretty pictures that you can look through and get ideas when you don't know what to cook. I really need about a month off from work to go through cabinets and closets and toss out a whole lot of what I no longer need but never have time to sort through. I probably should shut up because sometimes you have to be careful what you ask for - in these troubling financial times, I don't need time off from work as in NOT HAVING A JOB But I remain wistful about just having a block of time to devote to some big ticket projects.

DH's Ipod bit the dust so it being his birthday and all, we decided to get him a new one. He uses it all the time when he's working outside in the yard and like exercising, the music makes the time pass quickly and forget about how hot, sweaty or tired you are. We had gone out for an early birthday dinner for him and since we were in the car decided to go to Best Buy - one of the last big box electronics stores that survived the downturn in the economy. DH wanted the nano which weighs about 2 ounces and would be so easy to palm (steal). Of course they are locked up securely in a glass case. There must be about 20 customers standing around all looking for help with phones, stereo systems and mobile gadgets. We stop an employee walking by and ask if we can get a Nano. He points to a guy on the phone with 5 people milling about and says he has the key to the case. We wait about 10 minutes, the guy is still on the phone and like hungry wolves, everyone is clamoring for his attention. The store is fairly busy and it's quite obvious they don't have anywhere near the employees necessary to assist the customers. Patience not being one of DH's better virtues after about 15 minutes he says we're getting out of here, obviously they don't want the business.

DH was frustrated and I remembered that we have an Apple store in the upscale mall here in town. It was 5:45 and I was concerned that things were about to close but as we pulled into the parking lots, all shiny and brightly lit is the Apple store - doors wide open, lots of helpful employees with a "have you been helped today?". We located the Nanos, DH decided blue was good for him, I asked one of the clerks and in 10 minutes we were walking out of the store with our purchase.

I'm afraid that Best Buy will be caught in the Catch-22 that affects alot of stores. They cut back on costs so the first to go is employees and then people have to wait too long to get served, you should not have to wait 1 hour for someone to wait on you so like us, they go elsewhere. Revenues go down, they cut back further, service gets worse and so it goes until like Circuit City and it's predecessors, they shut the doors for good. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind waiting a reasonable time for someone to help me but 20 customers and one clerk is ridiculous. Also as we left the store, there must have been about 20 employees in the front of the store by the cashiers. I can't believe at 6pm there was a shift change as the store was only going to be open for a few more hours.

Anyway, we got DH loaded up with tunes so he's ready to go tackle the yard and I need to continue on with the rest of the rooms down here. I'm hoping to be able to wash my car too even if it will rain most of next week. It's that time of year when spring has arrived, the birds are busy feeding to prepare for little ones and you realize that it's just NOT a good thing to park underneath the trees in the driveway if YKWIM
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #51  
Choose your hard

Yahoo article about the fires in Australia. Towns being literally burned off the map. So sad...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090208/...alia_wildfires
Old 02-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #52  

Hello Ladies,

It's been a week and no word about my results. I guess i'm going to call doctor's office tomorrow. The one thing he mentioned to me though was to get back to exercising and I did. I committed to working out 3 days at gym and walking 3 days at home on treadmill.

Shad - Hope you have a great BBQ. I hope the winds die down, so the fires can be contained. I can't believe someone would start them.

Happy - I agree with you about the service at many stores. You can't get any customer service with all the cuts. I would love to have clean kitchen counter, mine is so cluttered with stuff.

Ceejay - Be careful driving around downed wires. You never know if the wires are "live".

Mitchellez - I too have to stay away from the High Impact workouts. My knees and lower back start to hurt. I"m glad to hear your feeling better.

Annie - do you make your soups from scratch? If so, can you pm me a recipe or two. The ones from the stores have too much sodium for me.

We'll need to run, going to take Blackie to a "Doggie Bath House" and give him a bath there. It's so easy to go there then to clean bathroom after.

Hope everyone's having a great day.
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #53  

Our friend Mooz, introduced me to the writings from Ralph Marston and
I often go back and read his daily motivations. Here's a few to ponder:

Free from the past
You don't need to run away from the past. For it's already quickly receding behind you.
If you've had a wonderful and fulfilling past, it is now time to move forward. If you've had a difficult and troubling past, it is now time to move forward.

Whatever the past may or may not have been, it is now over. Choose to not let it hold you back for any reason.

Are your thoughts filled with regret, resentment, sorrow or anger for what has already been? The sooner you let go and move on, the better your life will be.

Cherish the past, take wisdom from the past, but don't let the past become your prison. Free yourself to move forward in a positive, fulfilling way.

If there's one thing you have learned from the past, it is that life is precious. Now is when you can fully realize and experience the precious life you are in.

-- Ralph Marston

Last edited by 1day@atime; 02-08-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #54  

Get past the past

Your shortcomings and disappointments are all in the past now. They have nothing to do with what you can accomplish from this point forward. Every day, you start with a clean slate. Every moment is an opportunity to begin the process of turning your dreams into reality.
It doesn't matter what has happened before. Yes, the past has brought you to where you are. Yet right now the path splits off in an infinite number of directions. And you have the choice of which one to take.

Learn from the past and then let it go. To wish that it had been different, is a waste of time and energy. To continue living with your past limitations, is a waste of your life's enormous potential.

Your past does not define who you are or what you can accomplish. You do.

-- Ralph Marston
Old 02-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #55  

Morena all.
Hard to think of words to describe the heartbreak down south. I am waiting for word from two friends who each have properties in the general area. I have been to Marysville. It is - sorry was - the most gorgeous little town. It was heritage listed and I was reminded of it when we went to the Blanchett Caves Happy. Same sort of little town only smaller, and they didn't have singsongs on the verandahs too often. Surrounded by the most magnificent forests and rivers and clean and green. It is so hard to believe it is no more. I think I have some pictures of Marysville on my webshots site.

The bbq went fine last night. 10 of us got through the duck and the beef and the new bbq cooks darn hot and quick. I have some more practice to do before I get good at it. I can have my favorite sandwiches for lunch today.

Sorry, the news has reduced me to rubble, there wont be much in the way of personals at the moment. I'll come back later for them.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #56  
Choose your hard

Good morning ladies,

The weekend was gorgeous weather wise, the rains are moving in this afternoon and it will be a soggy week. The birds are all singing their spring songs and gorging themselves on berries (tho I don't know where they are finding them) so it's important not to park your car under a tree I made headway in the house, still so much to do it seems but I will get there.

Shad - hope your friends will make out alright with the fires and such Our not so new BBQ also cooks hotter than we would like it. This must be our 6th year with this one, still trying to work out the kinks although we went with a less expensive brand and we're both kind of sorry we did as it is not as good as the other one.

Hi Patty - nice to see you again. A doggie bath house? that sure sounds interesting and a great concept. As for soups - I agree with you about the canned being so high in sodium and the low sodium ones are rather blah. You can make some pretty quick ones using low sodium chicken, vegetable or beef broth, diced chicken or left over beef bits and a package of frozen vegetables. Or sautee fresh chopped veggies until soft enough for your tastes and dump into the pot.

Thanks for the motivations - always good to start off the day with a positive outlook

I guess I beat all the other chicks in today so I'll just give a and welcome you to a new week. I have to get on with the show myself...
Old 02-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Morning every one.
Just a brief note since there's not much happening on my end. I woke up last night around 12.45 a.m. with bad muscle spasms. I don't know where they are coming from but they sure do hurt. Today I'm planning on drinking 100 oz of liquid and most of it water. I'm going to see if that helps.

I'm wondering if mother nature is mad. She sure has been destructive lately.

I'm diffinately glad that the days are getting longer. This mornng I left for work in pre dawn light. The birds began to sing as I was getting ready for work. I've really missed that this winter. The full moon was still out and the sun coming up. It made for a beautiful sky.

I'm waiting for the guys to get through in the back wash pit. They are replacing a motor. Then I can get on with my day. Number 2 filter is ready for it's backwash procedure.

Last edited by ceejay52; 02-09-2009 at 10:45 AM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #58  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

The weekend went too fast. DH and I had a great time going to Bass Pro Shops in IL. What a neat store. It's like a Cabelas store, but more focused on fishing than hunting. We had gorgeous weather both days, and yesterday we were finally able to take all the Christmas stuff off the front lawn. Yay!

Today has been crazy busy and stressful at work. And tonight, I've got to meet with a website client after work. Long day.

Shad - Glad to hear the BBQ went well. I feel so bad for the people in Victoria and Melbourne. It's just awful. I hate that kind of heat. I've had heat exhaustion a couple times....it's really scary - gotta get the body temp down. Crocodiles floating down main street - now that's scary! I would freak if I saw a croc up close. And so, so sad to see those towns burned to the ground, all the loss of life and damage.

Happy - We're going to have a soggy early part of the week too. And there is already some flooding in the low-lying areas of Milwaukee. That's cool you wear your ipod while cleaning. I crank up the stereo with some fast paced rock to keep me moving. I'd like a block of time to take care of things as well, but I'm happy to have a job, and a good job at that, so I'll just do a little at a time.

Annie - I definitely want to see Taken. It looks really good - very intense. Please pm me your recipes as well, if you don't mind. Or email them to me. My email address is listed on Facebook.

Ceejay - Glad to hear your meds are helping! That's awesome! Some people without power until March? That's just crazy! I hope the muscle spasms have lessened. Can you eat bananas or potatoes? The potassium might help with the muscle spasms...of course, some people are supposed to limit their potassium, so be careful.

Roseblush - Welcome back! Glad you enjoyed the holidays with your boys! Congrats on your son's upcoming wedding. So sorry to hear of your DB's stroke.

Patty - Great to hear from you too! How did you know the exact Marston quotes I needed to hear?? Just amazing! You must be psychic! Thank you! I do miss Mooz and her wonderful quotes. Thanks for reminding me that I can get the daily quotes from Marston's website. Last I heard, she's keeping very busy with art and other projects. Good for you for committing to your workout. I'm committing to 3 days a week at the gym, being really careful to listen to my back. I need to get my back strong and healthy and pain free by spring. I hope your test results come back favorable. I'll bet Blackie looks and smells wonderful after a nice bath. With the warm weather here, it's now MUD season.

Well, I've got to go....Lots and lots to do.

Have a great rest of your day everyone!

Love and hugs,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #59  

Morena all,

News coming from Victoria is still not good, but I have heard from at least one of my friends down there. He is scorched and singed but his two properties (ex wife's and his own) and he and his 3 children are safe and well. The other one has a place out in the forest between Marysville and Warburton, but I think she is in Korea on assignment at the moment. I don't know if any of the family were out there at the time. It is all very sad.

Michelle - yep it is hard to visualise that the top part of the country is under water and the bottom part is blackened and under fire. I just hope that the powers that be seek out and find the culprits and throw the book at them. My friend in the area tells me to support the community and burn a firebug today. I told him that I have my witchy burning stakes at the ready and my broomstick is turbo charged and ready to go.

Ceejay - sorry to hear about the muscle spasms. Try some of those sports drinks as you lose salt and minerals when you use diuretics.

Happy - I know what you mean about the cookbooks. I have heaps as well and generally speaking I only use one or two. Probably I should get rid of a lot of them too.

Nae - Good to see you again. I was wondering about you the other day. Congratulations to the son about to get married and hope the brother is getting better. Strokes are not nice. Still I'm sure his sister has some therapy to help him along.

Hiya Patty - good to hear from you too.

Annie - soup sounds wonderful although unless it is and iced soup it is far to hot around here for soup at the moment.

Okay - time to get on with the day. I have a fair amount to do today because I won't be doing much tomorrow apart from sitting in airports. Time for a cool drink and then the washing. See ya all.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #60  
Choose your hard

Not sure when you are leaving but safe travels to you Shaddie. Enjoy the visit with family and friends. Tell 'em you've giving out hugs from Elvisland

I was reading more on the Internet about the fires and what hellish conditions those people were in - those who could not outrun the flames. So frightening, my hair stood on end. And to think that some moron might have started some of them. Abominiable!!!! I'll join you on the witchy hunt.

Right now tho I have to go dust...