Old 04-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #301  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Carol, welcome back! You were missed, but I'm glad that you and your hubby had a marvelous time. Sounds like you had to hit the ground running, as soon as you returned. Re a new place: I'm waiting 'til I have my interview 4/29, to run the numbers and maybe get the pre-approval. If that meeting goes well, I'll be on my way, If not, I'll look for another rental and be out of here before July 4th. If only I could be satisfied with an igloo!

Penny, I would weep if it were that cold in DC! I've already broken out my sandals...I did stop by Ghiradelli's, and bought a small back of the dark chocolate squares. But I only ate the one sample they gave me, and the unopened bag is in the cabinet.

Marie, I didn't realize that you were considering expanding your family. Do you have a particular dog in mind?

Sharp eyes will notice that I've moved my weight down under my avatar another two pounds . That's almost seven pounds in so far this month. I don't have any travel for the next few weeks, but this week has more socializing than usual, so I'll need to focus, focus, focus...

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #302  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Congrats again Judy. You're not just on track - you're on a speeding bullet train. Way to go on not even opening the chocolates. I LOVE dark chocolate - I don't like milk chocolate. With milk choc. I keep eating trying to get the chocolate taste/craving. Never works. But I get the wonderful taste with dark choc immediately and can then stop.

Carol, sounds like you've been busy cleaning things out. I did a little last weekend but not a lot. I hate spring cleaning.

Penny, I hope you survived our yucky weather weekend. The trip over the mountain was adventurous as about 20 miles wasn't plowed and there was about 8-12" of snow on the roads and many ruts. But the dogloo is mine and things went just fine.

DGS, DS1 and almost DIL have gone home. I'm missing them already. We had a great time.

Judy, I might adopt a 9 month old Siberian Husky girl. I met her yesterday. But I'm about ready for my 3rd doggie. Goldie passed away a year ago and I think I'm ready. So if I don't adopt Star (whose name would probably be changed as I don't particularly like the name), then I'm going to find a perfect puppy to join the crowd.

DH, me, almost DIL and DGS took the doggies for the 1.5 mile walk and it started snowing like crazy. Very chilly but it was nice. DH pulled DGS's stroller when the snow and wind was whipping down the mountain. The rest of the time it was fine although chilly.

Food has been on target. TOM is visiting and isn't a welcome guest. I'd really like menopause to start a calling.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #303  

Judy keep up the super work on the loss frontline. I think that at this pt. my wt. is stable and needs to move down another 5lbs. Oh how nice that would be I will work on it. Yes my feet hit the ground in Syr. and off I went to get a few hrs. sleep and begin work. But I knew with the conference this week I would have to hit my work quite hard to keep up with the months needs so far so good. I continue to be working well with my coworkers and thats so important no back stabbing going on. What a treat.... Hope the approval comes in as you wish and soon you will be packing your belongings. Do you have any dieting advice or have you just jump started in the right direction with journaling and exercise? What ever it is send some encouragment my way. I am staying at a lovely resort for two days called the Gidden Puttman in Saratoga N.y. its beautiful and always has great speakers too. I will use their exercise equipment and accomadations while there. Also starting to really watch my intake again after vacation time.
Marie Star sounds lovely their great loyal dogs. Now did I miss something here how many dogs do you have now? Are you going to get one or two? I am so confussed! Sounds like more to walk with that isn't so bad of and idea. I just read about pets and exercise buddies their the best always waiting for us as soon as we get home. I only wish my area right around my home was better for walking. I hate to encourage Bear to walk in the woods as he might wander on his own and think its okay. We have had an awful time with ticks this year just put frontline on him saturday he seems better and I removed one yukkkk! Well gotta go off to work Penny hope your doing well today and anyone else I might of forgot to mention.
Lets go girls make a difference one that last a life time......
cckayac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #304  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Marie - Sounds like you had a busy and fun weekend. It was nice of you to brave the mountain pass in the snow to get your dogloo. The things we do for our kids (furry ones too)!! That's exciting that you might be adding a husky girl to your family. You mentioned bad old TOM. That's the only thing I felt glad about turning 50 - it was when I went through the "change". I didn't have too bad a time, just some hot flashes at night which was solved by sleeping "au naturel" . I'm not sure if I had mood swings, because I've always had them . It sure is great not having to go through the monthly "curse" and mine was really that with lots of cramps, bloating, etc.

Judy - You are doing so great - are you doing something differently? Whatever it is, it's definitely working for you. Thanks for rubbing it in with your "sandal weather"! I think it's warmer than here just about anywhere in the continental US. How strong willed of you to keep your Ghiradelli chocolate wrapped up! I hope things work out well for you in your house-hunting quest.

Carol - Sounds like you've hit the ground running. You must be pretty busy catching up with all your clients. It's nice to hear your co-workers are being cooperative. Your conference sounds like it's in a lovely location - at least you'll have nice surroundings on your free time. Bear must have missed you so much when you were away. It must be really hard to find ticks in his long coat. Good thing you found it before he got sick.

I'm doing ok with food but can't go to Curves till next week. I'm really looking forward to seeing my workout pals. My joints have been so achy the last week or so and I'm thinking it's because of lack of exercise. My doc has me on 1800mg of Advil a day for two weeks to keep the inflammation down and I thought that would take care of my arthritis too, but no such luck. Maybe things will be better when the weather warms up. My Dad had to go into hospital for several tests as he said he had problems with his "water works". He's so embarrassed to talk about it and I learned from my brother that they suspected a bladder or prostate problem. I'm hoping it's nothing major, especially since he's 85 and any kind of surgery would be difficult for him at that age.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #305  

What a Monday--I've had two meetings out of the office, so I've already managed to get soaked several times in the rain, and I'm not even home yet! No sandals today, Penny.

Marie, the puppy formerly known as Star sounds lovely. What would Blizzie and Kody think about having a new family member?

Carol, the conference site sounds really nice! I'm not doing anything extraordinary right now, but I'm focusing on three things: a little more workout time (which also helps me vary what I do), maybe an hour or more total most days; keeping my log; staying out of the kitchen once I'm officially done eating for the evening. So that's probably 20 minutes more exercise, 300-400 fewer calories and a lot less random munching.

Penny, it's great that you're missing your workouts! That's something to feel good about. If you're dong well with food, you won't have lost a lot of ground. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. It must be hard having your family so far away.

I only had time for a quick workout this morning, so I'll do real one this evening. I had a protein shake for b'fast, yogurt and berries for AM snack, cup of chili for lunch, and a cup of this weird fish creole dish I made a while back (I thought it was soup) for a late afternoon snack. We had thunderstorms off and on all day Sunday, so I haven't gone grocery shopping yet.

Bye for now--judy
Old 04-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #306  
Lifelong Journey Member

Default Start of Week 4 - Day 22

Hi all,

Judy, I'd take the thunderstorms over the snow. Even if you can't wear sandals. I think the things that's held me back about cheering about getting a 3rd doggie is I don't know what Kody and Blizzie would think. If Kody had an energetic playmate, I think he'd be thrilled. Blizzie, on the other hand, might be sad that there's more competition for my attention as she's the center of my world (in her opinion and, ok, mine most of the time). But then again, if Kody started leaving her alone, that could bring her happiness as well. I just haven't figured that out. I haven't spoken with Star's owner, so I'm unsure where that stands. Then there's this part of me that wants a Blizzie clone (in other words an alaskan husky) and start with a baby puppy. I am usually very decisive but I'm not at this point so I'm just waiting till I know or I'm pushed.

Penny, I had to laugh at the mood swings comment. I only have TOM. Rarely any cramping, mood swings, cravings, or anything. Just the annoyance of it. So I try not to complain as I know I have it easy but I still hate it. I hope your father does OK. My father had prostrate surgery last year and didn't tell until about a week after. I was sort of mad, but it did save worry for me.

Carol, my vet sold me the most awesome tick removal tool ($5). It sort of looks like a tweezer but isn't as it doesn't squeeze. It grasps below the body and you then turn it counter clockwise and unscrew it out. apparently the little buggards drill their way in, and if you unscrew it out there's very little chance of the biters/head getting left in. I can pick on up at my vet and mail one to you if you wish. I've done it for my sister as tick removal is easy with it.

Food ok today - I'm a little munchy but at 800 cals so far and not hungry. No exercise this morning but I will be exercising after work. Tomorrow I'm back on my before work exercise schedule. I'm just so much calmer for the day if I exercise in the morning.

Marie
Old 04-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #307  

The sun is shining today, hooray. I shouldn't complain about the rain. We're been dealing with drought conditions for a few years, and rain (and snow) is inconvenient but critical. After all, it is Earth Day, so I should look at the big picture

I got home late last night and wanted to work out but not miss the basketball game, so I pulled out a weight routine (dumbbells and ankle weights) that I used to do regularly years ago, but haven't for a while. then this morning I did the Pilates video, which I only think of now and again. Walking from the subway to the office, I wondered if I was walking into a strong wind...then I realized that my muscles were exhausted. It never ceases to amaze me how easily my body falls into a rut. So I'll remember to keep shaking things up! On program today: Eggbeaters and chicken sausage for b'fast, string cheese for AM snack, spinach salad w/chicken for lunch, plus samples at Whole Foods . Kudos to whoever was slicing up the bakery samples, those pieces were enormous!

I laughed to myself after I sent my last post. Gee, 300-400 calories is a lot, isn't it? That should have been a no-brainer. I tend to think of healthy stuff as calorie-free when I'm craving sweet or crunchy carbs. It was easy to take in the equivalent of an extra lunch after dinner. An apple, some almonds, hmmm....a Balance Bar...there you are! When I got home last night, I threw away the pants I wore to work. They're too big .

Marie and Penny, now you've totally put me off potential dog ownership...special tick tweezers!

judy
Old 04-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #308  
Lifelong Journey Member

BUT Judy, doggies are the greatest friend a person can have and love. My doggies love me unconditionally - whether I'm fat or thin, whether I have long or short hair, whether I can read or write, etc. They love me because I love them. No one does that. I love my hubby and children and they love me, but it's not totally because I love them. There are strings whether I like admitting it or not. So give me the tick tweezers and I'll happily take them off my doggie to protect them. BTW, I'm not found of pooper-scooping either, but without complaint it's a daily task. So don't discount every getting a pup, they're so worth it. My doggies are my best friends in the whole world. I talk and they listen without prejudice. Cool, huh?

And yes, 300-400 cals a day cut is a big thing. You're doing so great. And perhaps when you buy your place, you'll get a doggie to walk and burn even more. See how wonderful pups are??? Aw, I'm like a doggie with a bone.

Things are good today. Food is on track and I doggie walked this morning so the day is better than yesterday when I slept in. What a different morning exercise makes in my mental healt. And I didn't exercise after work so it was bad. Food yesterday was on track thankfully.

Enjoy your sunny weather Judy. It's cloudy and cold here again. I want summer. As far as I can tell this year, spring here stinks so I'm ready to move on to the next season.
Marie
Old 04-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #309  
takeitoff&Keepitoff

Hi everyone.
I'm not sure if you all can still remember me, I guess I've been MIA for over a year.

I believe the thread was titled "Daily Check In - Long and Mini Goals" during that time that I was posting and "on the wagon".
Well, I fell off the wagon, and reached my highest weight ever! And now I'm trying to get back on track.

I was reading Marie's post about "doggies" (I adore these friendly creatures) and I told myself I need to join you guys again, if you still have room for me?
girlieyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #310  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Girlie - I remember you! Welcome back . We're always happy to welcome newcomers and old friends. Like you, I fell off the wagon for a while and I'm still trying to get back on (I have one foot on and one foot off at the moment ) Let's hope we can all encourage each other to stay on track. The other ladies on this thread are a real inspiration for me.

Judy - I'm a sucker for bakery samples too (or any kind of samples for that matter). Somehow I switch off my calorie radar when I see them and my hand automatically reaches for a piece. Congrats on throwing away the big pants .

Marie - All this doggie talk has me thinking about getting a puppy. I would love a little dog (littler poops to clean up). My DH is more of a cat person, though, and I know a dog would be my responsibility only (although I think he'd love the unconditional attention a dog gives you as opposed to cats who can be very standoffish).

Carol - I hope things are going well for you at your conference.

Since the weather is still so lousy, I've cheered myself up by making a list of all the birds I've identified in our garden. I got pictures off the internet and made it into a document. When I added them up I was surprised to find we've had 35 different kinds of birds visit us. My DH would be aghast if he knew how much I spend on bird food. Only the best will do for my fine feathered friends!

Eating has been ok today and I have enough cals left over for a light dinner.

Last edited by penpal; 04-23-2008 at 07:37 PM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #311  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Elyn, I remember as well. Welcome back. Looks like you dusted yourself off and are back on track. Just a piece of info, even you your crash off the wagon, keep posting. I think the desire to get on track returns faster if you still post. That's been my experience.

Penny, doggies rock. I 'm starting to lean one way with my 3rd doggie decision. I'm thinking puppy. I really like Star, but the current owner seems like a flake and that worries me. OK, I finally said it. That's been the biggest hesitation (and that's if she ever calls back). So I'm going to start puppy searching. More than likely the pup will be from the portland area. Hmm, who lives there? I won't say we'd get together for fear of causing more injury or surgeries...

Food is good today. Had to go out for lunch - secretaries day - why I don't know since our secretary position was cut so why did I have to participate. Anyway, I chose turkey burger and vege soup. I think I did fine.

Exercise is interesting. Keep in mind Penny has accurately described our yucky weather. But last night, I saw the stars were shining and thought that it would be fine this morning when I got up. So I put on the outdoor walking clothes. Then looked at the thermometer and it was 34 (not great, but it's been worse lately). My dogs are so excited as they know my hiking boots for their walks. They're just a howlin' at 5:00 in the morning. Then I look outside. Big UGLY flakes are pouring from the sky and there's an inch on the ground. But the pups, my beloved pups, are howling. So out we go for our 1.5 mile walk. Geez, I'm a softie.

Judy and Carol, hope all is well.

Elyn, welcome back again.
Marie
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #312  
takeitoff&Keepitoff

Marie and Penny~ you guys are so sweet, thanks for having me back.
I need to to start reading the posts to keep abreast with everyone.
Penny~ I hear you about having 1 foot on and 1 foot off the wagon.
I was reading the mini goal section last night to keep my motivation up. I'm not sure if it helped, because it seems like I got somewhat depressed that I seem to have to work a lot harder than others just to lose 1 lousy pound.
That's why I have a little dog~ little poops to clean up
Involves less house cleaning as well.
Marie~ another puppy, how exciting!
I will take home all the puppies in the whole world if my husband will allow it.
You are so good to your pups, they are lucky to have you.

Talk to you later. Got some reading to do!
girlieyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #313  

This will be very short, 'cuz I have no time, and I don't want to miss two days in a row. I'm mostly on program, with yesterday as my day off from working out (and a small buttered popcorn at the movies last night ). I saw The Visitor, it was really good, and made me miss Manhattan a little bit.

Welcome back, Elyn!

more tomorrow--judy
Old 04-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #314  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all,

A quick note. Things are going good today. It's actually sunny out even though it's a bit chilly. I'm going to go swimming today. Only between the locker room and the heated pool will be icky. I also took my doggies out this morning. We had a good time. They're such sweeties. Food wise, right on track. Yeah!!!! Work is good, I got a lot done.

Elyn, big poops or little poops - it's all the same to me. I have a good poop bucket outside and I take one trip around the pool and I'm done. I always thought that people would get vicarious pleasure knowing after I interviewed them and didn't hire them OR that I fired an employee that I was out poopy scooping.

Judy, I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. I saw 21 this past weekend. DS1 is a mth genius and practices counting cards with his co-worker. And they live in Reno. I'm not sure after the movie I want him practicing that.

Carol and Penny - I hope you're having a good day.
Marie
Old 04-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #315  

Marie thanks for the offer I will see if I can get it locally if not then may take you up on your generous offer for Bear. He had his grooming appt. yesterday now looks like a skinned rat hah hah 45 dollars later. Easier to spot ticks now though and he has frontline on. Do you know if because we did a groomer appt. do I have to reuse the frontline again??? THANKS
Judi your doing great and your food intake looked good to me. I am going to get into my routine now starting today. The conferences are good but extra cals I never went back for seconds and tried my best to take only a half of piece of the desserts. Could of been much worse and did do some walking the gym at the hotel was so small not worth visiting but walking was nice in a 2,000 acre state park where are resort was located so beautiful. Good conference and info on aging dementia etc..... lot to take in but good a bit depressing along with the knowledge. Keep up your super work. I am grilling a pizza tonight with veggies on it for me....
Penny you sound like my friend whom is so into the birds its rubbed off on me. I have many feeders and like watching them in my garden outside my favorite sitting room of the house. My fruit trees look so full of blooms now even a plum tree planted years ago is flowered. I had to take care of a few worm nest last night upon my arrival back home. Gotta stay one step ahead of them... Penny soon you will be back to your routine I KNOW you have missed it and you will feel better.

Elyn welcome and hopefully you will enjoy the great support and comfort that I do on this site. Take it one day at a time if you mess up jump right back on thats what I am trying to do.
Lucky me forgot a drs appt. this a.m. to discuss chol meds etc.. Well now come on I just got back from 3 wks in HI and a 2 day conference with such buffets it knocks your socks off. This isn't so fair huh can't even cancel as its an 8 in the a.m. appt. HAH!!! Oh well I am refusing any med. and want to give it a whirl myself first I will ask you any dietary info she might like to hand out but thats it! I just about have had it with taking meds. I know some we have to but come on now I spend enough now. Oh well that said and done now I must go bite the bullet and see the doc. I am exercising more kayaking and walking more this weekend I will get back to the gym. The problem is I like the lake in the summer more than the gym so I will make a schedule to use in order to make both work. Talk to you all soon and I will fill you in on my grilled pizza.
cckayac is offline   Reply With Quote