Old 03-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #241  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Marie - The tapping technique was originally meant to help against depression, but some people find it helps with compulsive eating and smoking. Basically, you tap different places on your face, collar bone and hands, while making certain eye movements and humming. Sounds weird, but it apparently helps to "reset" both hemispheres of the brain in a positive way. There is a video on Youtube dot com watch?v=6r7OZwhcqxY. As you say, anythings worth a try! The first time I saw it was when we were watching the Little League World series and one team's pitcher was using it to relax between innings (his team won!)
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #242  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

So Penny, I watched it then went to tapping dot com. It's pretty cool. I'm going to try it during the morning munchies. After doing the video for 15 minutes, I'm definitely relaxed and not too into the thought of food evn though it's lunch time. Hmmm. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for sharing it.

I did 1.5 miles on the treadmill this morning. My heel hurt again when I got up (feels fine now) and that surprised me. It didn't hurt last night at all when I went to bed. I hope whatever is bugging it stops.

Food was average yesterday. No so bad at all this morning. Now that I've got the tapping idea, we'll see if that helps.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #243  
Brit Chick

Marie - I just checked out the tapping dot com site a bit more. There's quite a few interesting (if New Age-y) things on the forum there that I might try. I think my eating problems are definitely linked to lots of unresolved emotional stuff. I did the intro tapping video and felt quite a bit more relaxed than when I started, though my DH came in when I was in the middle of humming "happy birthday to you" and rolling my eyes, so he thinks I'm completely off my rocker now!

Last edited by penpal; 03-26-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #244  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Tapping, huh? Okay, I'm game! I'm not doing badly on this trip. I'm in the south, and all the meals have been heavy on the flour, butter, cheese and gravy (and yummy), but I'm managing to eat relatively lightly, not load up my plate (all buffet meals so far) and only have little bits of dessert, if any. I worked out yesterday but I probably won't get one in today. The weather's in the 70s so I have been able to wear sandals for the first time this year after getting a pedicure during an airport layover.

Penny, I've seen that British guy you're talking about, he was interesting but a bit much. I have also seen You Are What You Eat, on BBC America, which I like better, although seeing the colonics is probably TMI .

Marie, sorry to hear about your heel spur, that's gotta be a drag. What can be done about it?

judy

Last edited by judydc; 03-26-2008 at 10:35 PM.
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #245  
Lifelong Journey Member

Morning all, things are going ok today. Another icy commute to work and it's cold (19 degrees). I did the 2 mile WATP jog and 1 mile walk this morning. Yesterday I began training Kody how to use the treadmill. After a bit of jumping on me, he got it and his tail was wagging. He did 8 minutes yesterday and this morning after WATP, I had him do about 5 minutes. He jumped off a couple times this morning and it wasn't quite as wonderful as yesterday. But he sure did like the treat after. He got that part down quickly. And my right thigh is streaked with bruises from his nails. But if I can figure a way to use some of his energy, it will be well worth it.

Judy, the heel spurs (both feet) are a long time thing. My orthotics usually take care of it. I haven't really thought about them in a couple years (sinc ethe orthotics) but Monday's doggie walk irritated it somehow (even with the orthotics).

Penny, I did it at my desk while there was no one around. I'm going to keep trying the tapping and see how it goes. It sure can't hurt. I thought your DH already knew you were off your rocker...

Judy, good job on passing the heavy foods. That's so hard when traveling. Heck, I'm finding it hard at home as well these days. I did a good thing this morning. I wanted another mocha (my slilm one I make is cheap cals) and almost went to 'Bucks but instead rinsed out my home mocha cup and made decaf tea. NutraSweet and a touch of light lemonade and I have a hot drink and no cals. Yeah. That is progress.

TTYL.
Marie
Old 03-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #246  
Brit Chick

Judy - You must have a lot of willpower to resist all those good ole rib-sticking southern foods! I'm jealous of your nice weather - we had snow flurries this morning and it's going to be colder tomorrow brrrrr. Yes, that brit guy is very obnoxious and I don't think I could stomach watching too many of his shows, but I'm glad I found out more about "tapping" through the show and I recommend the tapping dot com website if you're interested in giving it a try.

Marie - That must be quite a sight with Kody on the treadmill with you! If his tail was wagging he was probably enjoying it immensely. You're a good doggie mom to put up with the bruising in order to give your puppy some exercise. I'm sure he appreciates having a chance to let off some of his energy. Good for you resisting Starbucks. Your no-cal drink was a good solution. I'm ok with just ordering a non-fat latte, but it's the pastries that get me so I don't go out for coffee very often. I just can't resist pastries if I see them sitting there calling my name. I suppose I could start tapping, but they might send for the little yellow wagon! I hope your heel spurs have settled down. I have them on the tops of my feet (arthritic spurs) so I know how painful they can be.

I'm feeling a bit more in control since I started the tapping. It's probably just a placebo effect, but I'll take it!

Carol - I hope you're having fun in Hawaii.

Last edited by penpal; 03-27-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #247  

Nothing wrong with placebos, if they work .

Ice and snow after Easter is not good. Carol got out just in time, there's a snowstorm in her part of the country. Today is the first day of the Cherry Blossom Festival, so I go home to snowfall today I will be very upset!

I ate more on target yesterday. I'm in a different city and in an okay but not so swanky hotel, so the breakfast buffet isn't nearly as tempting...I worked out in my room for 40 minutes, and had 2 hard-boiled eggs and a tiny yogurt cup from the continental b'fast buffet. I'll be checking out in a few minutes, going to one last meeting, then off to the airport and home.

Here's one funny piece of news: I officially "went out" last night, with someone I met earlier this week. I hadn't thought of it that way when I asked him to suggest a nice place to hear music, but it quickly morphed into a date with romantic overtones. He's interesting, we laughed quite a bit, but the musical part of the evening never materialized, and we couldn't even find a decent movie (God, I could never live in a small town!). I felt like a teenager as we wandered around in a Barnes and Noble and eventually ended the evening in a cafe drinking coffee (him) and hot chocolate (me). He's a nice enough fellow, but there were no sparks for me. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I sent emailed him a note of thanks, and hope that he doesn't feel too badly. Anyway, perhaps I'm ready to start thinking about men that way again, after a long hiatus, and at least one guy was eager to think of me that way, too, so this is a big milestone. Gentlemen, start your engines!

Time to finish packing. Have a good day. Jules and Nikki, check in when you can.;

judy
Old 03-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #248  
Lifelong Journey Member

Wow Judy, that's pretty cool! A date. No sparks are ok, you played the game. I like living in a small town but lack of entertainment would be hard for an extrovert. I'm an introvert and like to be at home. (As I type this from Reno...)

Apparently 3FC ate my post yesterday. I saw it there after I hit post, but it seems gone. At the last minute, we decided to come to Reno and DS1 and family will be coming up to our place the weekend we were going to come down. In other words, we swapped weekends.

Well, DGS is awake and is pointing to my computer as to play with it. So I'll say bye for now.
Marie
Old 03-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #249  
Brit Chick

Judy - It was nice to hear about your date. As Marie said, it's fun to play the game and even if there weren't any sparks, it sounds as if you had a very nice time. I bet the cherry blossoms are gorgeous at this time of the year. They are out here too, thought not as many as where you are, I'm sure.

Marie - I hope you had fun in Reno. Too bad the internet ate your post - that's frustrating!

We had the weirdest weather yesterday. One minute the sun came out and we went to Bed Bath & Beyond. By the time we got there it was snowing and hailing so hard we couldn't get out of the car and by the time we got home there was about 2" of wet snow & slush on the ground and it was very slippery. The sky went almost as dark as night and yet there was sunshine in the background. I wish I'd had my camera with me - I've never seen such a dramatic sky. I hope it drys up soon as I'm itching to do some yard work. We're having two large trees taken out tomorrow to make room for our new patio. I'll be sad to see them go as the birds & squirrels love them, but they are way too close to the house. Our back yard is a real mess as we had two outbuildings demolished last week and some of the debris still needs to be taken away and the area graded. I keep trying to visualize how it will look when it's all finished and I'm sure it will be a big improvement. I'm going to start using the treadmill again today as my hip is feeling a lot better. I'm hoping that if I go slowly and start with 10-15 min. it won't start things off again.

Last edited by penpal; 03-30-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:21 PM   #250  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi everyone, I'm back home and spending the day cleaning with the doggies. I've done the floors and kitchen, and am halfway done with the laundry. I'm starting to get tired. I've been really good with the food this morning as I have to face the fact I need to buckle down and get more stringent with my food choices.

Skiing was great on Saturday. We had a wonderful time. The whole weekend was really nice. DS started getting sick yesterday so I'm hoping that it passes DH and I. DGS was so much fun. I love toddlers!!!!!

Penny, the weather is a bit better down here at the moment but I know that Portland had nasty weather on Friday (I didn't know about Saturday). Good luck on the treadmill and don't push it at all. Just a nice stroll. We'll make Kodiak treamill today and I'll push him.
Marie
Old 03-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #251  

It's beautiful here, with the cherry blossoms peaking. If you go to the Washington Post's website, or Google "Washington Cherry Blossoms," you'll see some breath-taking photos. Alas, the weather is wet and chily, so the hordes of tourists swarming around the Tidal Basin are a little grumbly. But the cherry trees are all showing off over the region, along with the magnolias, dogwoods, etc. So it looks like spring, even if it doesn't feel that way today.

I had a good weekend. I ate lots and lots of green (and unfried, ungravied and unbuttered) veggies and worked out, which felt great. I stuck close to home and didn't do much of consequence except fulminate about the cable company. I've been on program, except for a big bag of popcorn last night. I'm trying to conceptualize ways to get past this current "plateau," if that's what it is, by making sure that I do something that gets my heart rate up for at least 60 minutes a day (most of my workouts are 40-45 minutes, including warm-up and cool down), and cutting 200 calories a day (after-dinner snacking, which has been an issue for the past month or so).

What do you think? Next weekend will be the time to swap my cold-weather clothes for spring and summer wear, and that's usually very motivating (and/or depressing).

judy
Old 04-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #252  
Lifelong Journey Member

I go with depressing at this point, Judy. My spring clothes are going to be too tight. So I'm working on the eating on track to get them comfy again. Most of the time I'd agree it would be motivating and I suppose it is as I looked at my capris and shook my head, then started on my diet again. Hmmm, I think I have about 4 weeks before I'll need them so I should be able to zip them up by then.

I'm back at work and considering what a bum I was yesterday (no exercise - that doesn't happen often) it'w probably as well. I did a lot of spring cleaning but no heart rate increase. This morning, the doggies and I walked. They liked it. I was cold and my asthma didn't like the 19 degrees. But it was still nice to be outside with the pups.

Well, I suppose I should work.
Marie
Old 04-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #253  

Nineteen degrees ! At least the puppies were pleased. I would be one unhappy camper if I was living where the weather was so cold after the "spring break." Think about wearing those capris in May as you take your doggies on long, lovely walks...

I did my extra workout last night, 35 minutes on the bike in addition to the 40-minute strength and cardio workout I did yesterday morning. I'm feeling very upbeat about the journey this week, and have stopped frowning at my little calendar/log, which I'd neglected a lot the second half of March. I bought a new magnetic whiteboard for my frig; I use them to write out the next day's food plan, and maybe give myself a mantra or a goal. My current theme is "2-20-200: two months, at least 20 extra cardio minutes, 200 fewer calories a day." The timeframe is really for Memorial Day, when I go visit my family. I plan to be visibly smaller than I was at Xmas!

Hi, Penny, how's that hip treating you?

Jules and Nikki, I hope you're doing well. I hope that Carol wasn't flying on Aloha Airlines! Maybe she'll be stranded in Hawai'i. Oh, the horror!

judy
Old 04-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #254  

Default Inspirational message!

While munching on my celery sticks with Laughing Cow light cheese spread, I wandered over to the Success threads. Check this out, from Griffogrub, a young man who went from 278 to 170 pounds:

Most people just give up too soon, don't think they have the strength to continue on. But everyone has that strength, that will power, they just don't know it. And yes, at first it sucks, I won't lie. But the longer you keep with it, the easier it gets. I know that may sound like a load of bull, but it's true. And the sooner you decide to lose the weight for yourself, not for another or for this or that reason, you'll work harder, push yourself more-go beyond limits you never knew you had. You just have to keep pushing, even if you stumble and fall, pick yourself back up and keep going. Nobody's perfect, nobody has a perfect body, we all have our moments of weakness. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but it's what happens after those moments that determine who we are, how far we'll go. So, keep going, keep pushing, and you'll get there. It may take some while, but you'll get to your goal one day.

'Nuff said!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #255  
Brit Chick

Judy - Thanks for the inspirational post - I think we all need a boost right now. The good thing is that I always tend to gain over the winter and lose when the weather gets warmer and I'm more active outside. Hopefully, this will be the case this year too as I'm definitely not fitting into some of my pants.

Marie - I hope it warms up soon down your way so you can take your pups for longer walks. You'll have those few extra pounds off in no time.

I just got back from a busy meeting. We had a salad bar and luckily there weren't too many no-no's included. My friend, bless her, who is a terrible cook, made a peach pie with about the worst pastry I've ever tasted. I discretely disposed of it under a napkin and it was funny to watch the expressions on my friend's faces when they took big bites of theirs. She did us all a big favor really, as none of us needs the extra calories.