Old 03-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #196  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Marie - I bet your doggies enjoyed their trip to Petco. I love seeing the happy dogs there when we go to get our catfood - like kids in candy store! Good for you skiing the black diamonds. I would have loved to learn to ski. The only skiier in our family is our DS and he loves the black diamond runs too. Funny how you were searching the office for food. That's what I do at home so I have to limit what I have on hand because I can get quite inventive when it comes to the munchies (i.e. handfulls of shredded coconut!)

Judy - Hey, I tell myself "Every day, in every way, I am better and better and healthier and healthier" - I figure it can't hurt and maybe my body will start to believe it if I say it often enough . Although it sounds like your IntenSati tape could get on my nerves with a bit too much "affirmation". I guess you could always turn the sound down.

I had a good day food wise and chose the healthy stuff from the salad bar at our lunch/meeting potluck. I'll have some more yummy curried egg salad on toast for dinner - I've been hooked on that stuff lately.

I hope everyone else is doing fine.

Last edited by penpal; 03-04-2008 at 08:14 PM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #197  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all.

Judy, "I desire, I focus, I intend, I become!" was a bad motto for me this morning. I desired a cinnamon roll, I intended not to eat the cinnamon roll, then I became the cinnamon roll (or it came to my hips). Bad me. But it was so good. And I knew I was being bad, so I ate it very slowly, enjoying every savory bite. I think that was good as I usually snarf down the naughty foods as though if I don't see them for long, they won't end up on my hips. Now I'm focused on not licking the plate. I do think that your new video would find it's way into my garbage can.

The doggies and I walked this morning. It was cold, 15 degrees, but so quiet and peaceful - except for the thriller novel I'm listening to. Nothing like kidnapping and murder to stir the peaceful surroundings.

Carol, I'm glad you're feeling better. I eyed some pretty garden stuff this week but held strong (now if I could do that with cinnamon rolls). Bambi eats everything that the desert doesn't kill. Every year I thought $$$ out the window on my garden quest. This year I vowed no gardening. I'm hoping my lilac bushes will start to grow as they're now fenced in like every other landscaping that we wanted to keep. BTW, fencing is ugly...

Penny, sounds like you're getting back into the swing of life. How is your back? Did your dr. prescribe any exercise to try to make it not happen again?

Well, I guess I should work...
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Marie, you're too funny. The IntenSati movements are actually pretty good, but I am watching to make sure that my knees aren't feeling stressed--I don't want to go back to limping like I did late last summer. Soon I'll know it well enough to turn the sound way down and listen to my own thoughts, or to NPR, while I do the routine. This morning I did the Kickin' Core ball video, featuring that Turbo Jam lady who you couldn't stand, either! After a while I can tune the talking out, except for the shrill Walk Away the Pounds lady. I can only play that one with the "no voice" option.

Penny, I haven't had egg salad in a long time...hmm...I'd have to experiment with options that don't use tons of mayo and pickle relish. How do you make yours?

Carol, wow, I'm so envious of your fragrant house! When I win the Lotto (if ever I remember to buy a ticket) I will have big, fresh bouquets in every room, all the time. It sounds like you had a nice time on Sunday. Hope your hospitalized client is okay.

I am feeling munchy today, and had a few handfuls of trail mix (too much fat, sugar and salt) and tortilla chips (empty carbs and yet more salt) left over from meetings . I'll do an extra workout when I get home tonight, and have a light dinner.

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #199  
Brit Chick

Carol - I missed your last post. I think we both posted around the same time. The garden show sounded so much fun. How lovely that you got to keep all those flowers and plants. A great way to celebrate spring! It must have been nice to visit with that young man you used to babysit. You must still have a soft spot for each other. We still keep in touch with our DS's babysitter and she loves to get a photo of him each Christmas. I hope your hubby is doing better. I'll have to look for those flax seed pitas - they are so low in calories!

Marie - Wow it's cold down there 15 deg. brrrrr! I've been trying to picture you as a cinnamon roll At least you savored every bite. Life's too short for food guilt. I used to wish we had deer around here. I'm sure they are nearby as we are in a very rural area, but they don't seem too come near our property and we have lots of roses (which I know they love to eat). I saw a big coyote the other evening - he ran across the road and stopped in the field and stared back at me - quite a magnificent animal! Probably just ate someone's cat .

Judy - Gosh, I could never have trail mix in the house - I just love it and could easily scarf down about a 1 lb. bag . I just make quick and easy egg salad with about half a dozen boiled eggs a dash of salt & pepper, a tsp. of curry powder and a couple of tbsp. miracle whip smashed with a potato masher. The miracle whip is a bit sweetish and that goes nice with the curry - also way less cals than mayo. It keeps for several days in the fridge and sometimes I eat a couple of tbsp. when I'm feeling "snackish".

Juls - I hope all is well with you.

My meeting went well yesterday and the salad bar had lots of healthy choices. We bought an old computer (early iMac) on Craigs list for only $25 for an older friend who is on a limited income. Her old computer died and so we got her this one, which my DH has checked out and it works great. It's amazing how much stuff is for sale on Craigs list. We got our son a really nice coffee table a while back for $15. It's supposed to be 65 deg. tomorrow so I'm definitely going to get out and do some yard work, just no heavy lifting!

Last edited by penpal; 03-05-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #200  

Girls I still haven't done the scale thing. Yah know I am just worried I will be upset so I am going on my rings, clothes and feelings. And I feel great! I am wearing a pair of pants that have hung in my closet all season which weren't so comfy. Well today they are! Wow I have somehow started to be serious and the results are nice to see. I am not perfect by any means Marie if I want the cinn. bun I have it just fit it into the days cals or workout a little longer. Giving up everything I love has never worked for me and most likely never will. So moderation and mostly healthy choices , increased exercise seem to pay off in the end. Good for you Marie you didn't eat two but one there was a time which if I liked something I had no control to not have a 2nd etc. I think we all hold that control now good for us. Some stuff but not the whole thing hah hah. Judy do you have the small ball that looks like a bowling ball in size or the big floor ball? I think when I get a chance I would like to get one for off gym days. Let me know if any of you have the small one and what yah think or is the big one better? Penny whats with those coyotes lately??? The other night we heard them when we were in bed and the next night also. Thank goodness not since then but I don't like it one bit. They scare me a bit. Sounds like you and the hubby have a big heart nice thing you two did for the other person. I know they are lucky to have you in their life. Sometimes the things we take for granted others can't even have. Give your self a big hug from me for being so kind. I have never bought anything from his list but browsed it when looking for a kayak.. Soon I will be out there paddling wow I can't wait. My intake for today is going to be good as last night I had some chinese taking leftovers to my mom this a.m. so out of sight and mind. I am off to a healthy day and exercise and tanning after work along with a vet visit for Bear. He is due for a shot and visit I think he has a ear problem keeps shaking his head in the morning for a bit time will tell and my pocket book too.
My client is sitting in the hospital til next week and will have surgery then. Never a dull momment. Work is super busy and I have set myself a quota to seeing 10 clients this week and next to complete my visits by the 24th and wrap it all up for my supervisor. Oh 3 weeks in Maui with my family and that new little guy I am truly excited beyond belief. I purchase a transport wheel chair for the hubby as the insurance laws you have to stay one step ahead of them. With medicare and my insurance if he used the presp. for a temp. chair it would take away from his chances of an electric scooter in the future. Thank goodness I asked and am used to the system so 130 out of pocket was worth it I think. I didn't expect to do that but thats life and sometimes we need to explore before doing and thats what I did and this time it will pay off in the end. Being in my field pays off sometimes with knowledge to use outside of work. Well take care all and we are doing so well I am proud of all of us!!!! As a team we are making a difference working on feeling better being healthier and look in good too!!!
cckayac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #201  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all, I'm off to a good start food wise today. No cinnamon roll but I did sniff the package. I'm a person that LOVES the scents of things. On the flip side, awful smells send me off to a tizzy.

Penny, I wanted to tell you that the soap you made for my DH worked like magic. His skin is dry this winter but the rash and cracks are gone. He's definitely sold on your soap talent.

Judy, my knees are just so-so and video workouts, including WATP can really wreak havoc. So I do them just occasionally. Luckily I love my doggie walks and if the conditions are atrocious, I love my treadmill. More time for me to listen to my audiobooks. I hope your munchies are gone and stay away for a long time.

Penny, take it very easy in the garden. Straining your back will just make you miserable.

Carol, 3 weeks on the beach. Oh how I'm drooling. I want to go to the beach so bad. DH points to the west and says it's only a few hours away but I want a WARM beach, not a frigid Oregon beach. I looked at FL vacations on ebay but couldn't get myself to buy since the finances are hurting with the helping support of DS1 (w/GS and almost DIL) and the cost of DS2 still living with us. But, oh, how I want to join you in HI.

Well, I suppose I could work. I would rather not.
Marie
Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #202  

Well I am a bit upset with my recent blood work up. I couldn't believe that my cholestrol was up with pretty good intakes and exercising. The doctor wanted to add zocor to my pills I already take tricor. I said no lets give it 2 more months and then I agreed to have it ck'd again and we would talk. The meds get so expensive and the side effects are healthy either. Boy life sometimes isn't so fair huh? Oh well so I guess now I need to really becareful I thought things were going better. Never know huh?
Well thats it I had to vent!!!
Marie I can't wait work has been super stressful this week. I wish I could take everyone with us fill up the plane how much fun would that be? Picking fruit etc...
Old 03-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #203  

It's a quiet day on the thread, huh? Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't exactly fallen off the wagon, but I seem to be leaning over the side a lot...taking in too many calories, and not working out every other day to give my knees a break. This was a much more stressful workweek than I anticipated, so I'm sure that added to my calorie intake and sense of lethargy. 'll do my best to perk up this weekend!

Carol, I'm sorry to hear about your cholesterol. What a drag! Re your question, I use the balance balls, the ones you can sit on or use for push-ups. I have two, 'cuz I'm a little too tall for the first one I bought, but for the video routines I have been doing, it's turned out to be useful to have the different sizes.

Penny, I will try your healthy egg salad. Hey, maybe that's what attracted that big coyote .

Marie, your husband has a cruel sense of humor. Last weekend the travel section of the local paper featured Caribbean vacations, it was lovely to think about lounging on a hot, sandy beach with nothing better to do than to put more ice cubes in my drink....

judy

Last edited by judydc; 03-07-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #204  
Brit Chick

Carol - I'm sorry to hear your cholesterol is still up. Mine is a bit high at 220 but I have very high 'good' cholesterol, so that evens things out a lot. My good cholesterol (HDL) went up from 65 to 85 after I started taking resveratrol supplements (the good stuff in wine - but you'd have to drink about 1,000 glasses of wine to get the same amount!). That's the only thing I did different. Of course it may not work for everyone. I hope your new meds will help get yours down. Sounds like you've been especially busy with your clients this week. I bet you are raring to go to Hawaii!

Marie - I'm so glad to hear the soap has helped your DH's skin. Wouldn't it be nice if the Pacific here was as warm as it is in Hawaii? I'd definitely live at the beach.

Judy - I hope you get a chance to unwind and relax after your busy week.

I have a dinner to go to tonight with some out of town guests from our organization. Luckily it's a seafood place, so I'll just have a seafood salad of some kind. My DH has kindly offered to drop me off and pick me up so I can indluge in a glass of wine. Tomorrow is our big Annual Council Meeting, which goes on for most of the day. I'm stepping down from my position on the Board as I've done the job for four years now and feel I need a break and let someone else take over. It's the 80th anniversary of our organization in Oregon. We just recently found out that our very first meeting in 1928 was in Klamath Falls!

Last edited by penpal; 03-07-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #205  

Penny oh I wouldn't take the new med due to the fact I don't want one more med. So I will try to lower it on my own. Some of it could be due to menopause it does so much to us. For me I will reach the two year mark with that in Nov. I am trying to eat a few less eggs, inc. oatmeal in my intake, con't to exercise and just try to be better. I was ,ff my tricor for a bit and who knows it could be just taking longer to get things back to a normal level. My total chol was 270 my good chol being only 45, tri's were down a bit 175 when I was off the med they were 400. Oh not good. I am also going to up my intake with seafood. I purchased 1,000 mg of fishoil pills. I am going to take two a day one in the a.m. and p.m. Are you saying you take a supplement instead of the glass of red wine ? Now the wine would be nice to have every night with dinner. So lets just see what I can do to make a difference between now and April 25th my next blood work up. My return to the doctor to discuss this is 5/6. Any input on ways to get my numbers down will be appreciated if you have any. Oh I also am working on inc. flaxseed to my diet and cinnamon to my coffee or cereal. I have cut down during my work week with coffee. Only having two cups. Now HI is well known for their lovely coffee so thats going to be tough to keep to. But the fruit in my diet will inc. and at least that is natural sugar.
Penny I am thinking of making some soap soon. Something summer like and then everytime I use I may feel refreshed like sunshine on my face. Hah hah!
Judy hope your doing well. Thanks for the thoughts on the ball. I would like to get one just for my non gym days. Yesterday it got crazy weather wise. So instead of exercising I went to tan, stopped at the fabric store. I am finishing up a quilt I started for the oldest gd 4 yrs. ago. It was such small squared 2'' ones oh what was I thinking so the whole top which covers the top of a twin bed was all these squared. I guess thats why it took so long cause I didn't enjoy working on the little things. YUK! But I took it out the other day and started bordering it and wow how fast it came together inc'ing my willingness to work on it. So hopefully I get it put together and start to hand quilt the squares randomly. Then the edges I am going to put a wavy hand st. around it. After this one I need to make one for her sister. Now I got a bit brighter on this one. It will be bigger squares and will go together much quicker. My daughter just put in a bamboo floor in their room and painted the room a purplish gray color. The master piece of time is pinks, greens, yellows, purples etc.. With a cool looking purple haze flowered mocked on. Well I hope your all ready to have a lovely weekend this was one of the longest work weeks ever. I ended my day with knowledge from a parent that she will be going after the company for her daughters fall. I wish it could of been different but I knew it was coming.

Last edited by cckayac; 03-08-2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: mistakes
Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 AM   #206  

Enjoy your weekend do something spring like to get rid of our winter blues.
Marie, Nikki and Juls hope your doing well.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #207  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi everyone, it's weekend. A quiet one for me. DH and DS2 have guard weekend so I have the house to myself. I just took the doggies for a walk and it was light out. No headlamp needed. That was sort of cool. I had to make DH's birthday cake this morning. I have a hair weave/cut appointment in an hour so I had to do that first.

Penny your organization should have it's meeting in KFalls again. It's been a while. For now I don't have any plans for Portland. We'll get together someday.

Carol, DH takes the fish oil and it doesn't seem to help. His chol. is a little high but he's not on meds yet. So work at it and see if you can do it on your own.

Judy, it's weekend. Now do NOT mope tomorrow that the weekend will end. Just really, really enjoy both days.

Well, I'm going to do a little studying. I'm doing a course on photoshop.
Marie
Old 03-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #208  

Marie yah I am going to give it a shot on trying to lower it myself. A glass of red wine each day with dinner. Fish oil 3 times a day 1,000 mg. and cinn. in my diet, inc. the oatmeal. I will give it a whirl ! I went to exercise today as the rest of the week wasn't as good as its been due to weather conditions. I love the gym on the weekends its great less folks. I am shaking up my workout a bit adding new things changing my incline etc.. So hopefully its getting me somewhere. I read an interesting article on spark.com it was about the scale thing. For some it helps keep us on track, for others it disappoints us as if we have inc. our exer. fat weighs less than muscle and the numbers might not move. But if we see inches leaving us with clothes fitting better, noticeable changes in the mirror and we know we are ex. on a reg. basis go for continuing our drive in this direction. So I guess its okay I haven't used the scale. Last night we had friends for dinner I made spanish rice. We had cherry pie for dessert so I cheated a bit. But I was careful for breakfast and lunch. I actually had lunch out but after my workout and ate pretty healthy blk bean soup and 1/2 chk. sand. ww bread. So I am trying to make some changes hopefully they work trying is all I can do it my just be in my genes. Dang! Aging is a pain in the butt! I am not giving in quickly I can tell yah! We all need to fight it with good lifestyles and changes we can control.
Marie sounds like you had a full day. Did you say in the past hair weaving is similar to highlights or is that extentions I am a bit confused. I am going to dye my own hair and put a few lighter highlights in the front and top due to the sunshine in Maui my color always lightens up. Why spend the money on highlights I figure. So I am going to experiment just a little hey who knows maybe I will like it and save myself a bundle or hate it and have to live with it. At any rate I will take the chance and not do a drastic chg. just a couple shades lighter than my norm. Marie sometimes its nice to have the house to yourself or time to just veg yourself and not worry what others would like to eat etc... or do. Hope you enjoyed your day.
We are having a storm here but nothing like Ohio hopefully they get rid of all that before we fly in there. Our flight leaves Syr. N.Y. - Cinn. Oh- Arz. - Maui. Oh one can only hope. We got the hubbies transport wheel chair the other day purchased it out right as the ins. would mess up his chances for an elec. scooter in the future can't do both. Thank goodness I know this stuff from work cause the norm. person might not and the outcome wouldn't be good. I looked for an exer. ball the smaller one it was 8lbs. and it seemed king of heavy does anyone have one and if so do you know what wt. we should get?? If not I will research it.
Thanks and have a nice day.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #209  
Brit Chick

Carol - I think you're on the right track with the fish oil (my DH swears by it for lowering his chol.) Also, the flax and COQ10 are good - we take all of these. Also, the cinnamon is good against diabetes. We take the resveratrol supplements because you'd have to drink 66 glasses of wine to get the same amount! Red wine is good in moderation, but I think you'd be in trouble if you drank that much! There's a lot of info on the web about resveratrol. Anything we can do rather than take medications (which can have their own problems). Another thing we avoid completely is corn oil and corn syrup (HCFC) which is in so many prepared foods and restaurant foods because it's cheaper. If you Google the words 'corn oil syrup health danger' you can get some pretty scary stuff about what they do to your hormones. Some scientists think that corn syrup causes metabolic syndrome which is extra abdominal fat and high cholesterol. Mice fed on corn syrup and corn oil in their diet get enlarged uteruses and their female babies get breast cancer. I think it will come out in the future that we've been poisoning ourselves with some of these highly processed "frankenfoods". If you read how they make this stuff it's mind boggling! Ok, I''ll get off my soapbox now .

Marie - Let me know how the Photoshop course goes. I've been thinking of doing that too. I do quite a bit of work with photo for flyers, the website, etc. and I'm sure there's a lot easier and more imaginative ways I could be doing things. I like hair weaves as I think it looks more natural. I changed my hair color a little darker (slightly more auburn than reddish blond). I also got a new style with thicker bangs and a little shorter in the back and longer on the sides in a longish bob. I got loads of compliments on it yesterday, so I think this style is a keeper, for a while at least.

My meeting went well and the food was pretty much on plan. I was presented with a beautiful bouquet of mauve roses when I stepped down from my job on the board. I'll still be doing the website and all the printing, so I don't feel too guilty about it. I think some people were ticked that I didn't stay on to take over the President's job, but that is way more work than I'm prepared to commit to with all the other things on my plate. My DH is pleased I'm starting to learn how to say "no".

Judy & Juls - I hope you're having a good weekend.

Last edited by penpal; 03-09-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #210  

Hi, this will be quick, because I'm procrastinating and need to get off the computer and do some things. Thanks to a tremendous windstorm, I've been without heat and hot water since yesterday afternoon. All the power was out briefly yesterday, and but the transformer that controls some of the building-wide power hasn't recovered. There's been a steady stream of Dominion Power trucks up and down the street for the past few hours....I shouldn't complain, though--my folks in Ohio really caught it! Everything has been shut down for a few days, and that rarely happens, people are generally very stiff-upper-lip about blizzards.

I'm eating on program and working out a bit more, after resting my knees for a few days. Sounds like you chickies are doing well. I think I'll give up, take a chilly sponge bath, and find my trusty space heater. My plans of doing laundry, playing home spa, etc., will have to wait. I've been curled up on the couch, hoping for the sound of the HVAC, but I'll just have to layer up and tackle some chores. That should warm me up a bit, at least.

Personals later. Be well!

judy