Old 07-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #451  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi everyone,

Yesterday was a gREAT day on track. about 1250 cals. Did you all see the headlines today - that food diaries help people lose twice as much weight as those that don't? Duh!!!! I wonder how much money was spent on that tidbit of research. Anyway, I sure know it's true. I will never lose an ounce if I don't log it. I like logging mine electronically, but in the past I've used my dry wipe board on the fridge (BTW, that works wonders as you see the list as you want to munch). Yesterday we had our homemade ice cream and since the recipe was Ben and Jerry's, I charged myself their calories. I'm going to calc the recipe today.

I did go to the dog training class and signed up (paid). Then I came home and swam 1/2 mile. So I did both. This morning I got up at 5:00 (long time since I strayed from that habit) and did 1 mile on the treadmill. I thought of pushing my knee but I could start to feel it so I stopped. I'll swim tonight.

Judy, the blueberry-iscle sounds divine. I never thought of freezing my smoothies. Thanks for the excellent idea.

Penny, our weather is to be 95 today. Our strawberries haven't been as bountiful as years past but the plants are so thick I think that's why. I haven't had time to thn them and I have a moral dilemma about killing them. So I need to find them a home. I plan to thin some of them to the other side of the garden that I no longer have. So that will take some, but there's TONS!!!!

Carol, I hope your camping trip went perfectly. Enjoy snuggling with Bear when you return.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #452  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Marie, I've been pushing myself around logging, too. Today's Lean Plate Club column in the Washington Post, "Writing Off Extra Calories," is worth looking up on the web. I use a dry-wipe board on my fridge, too, but I use it to plan my meals and snacks the night before. It helps me focus in the morning on what to pack for work. And I won't wait 'til I'm ravenous to decide what's for dinner.

Penny, an expensive burger without the crummy bun sounds good. Now that I don't eat pork or beef more than once or twice a week, I only want it if it's really, really good. I've really cut back on chicken, too, but I'm managing to get plenty of protein through fish, beans, tofu and other things.

I'm on program today except for some baked chips. Protein shake for b'fast, half an apple and a string cheese for AM snack, salad w/salmon for lunch; aforementioned chips and a cup of chili for afternoon snack. I will have a Balance Bar on the way home. I overslept this morning, so I will ride the bike for a while this evening. The temporary fitness center is a bit cramped, and I find myself talking myself out of going, especially in the evenings. But that's no excuse! I was planning to stir-fry some veggies for dinner, but if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just heat up a bowl of soup.

Stay cool--judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #453  

For some crazy reason I haven't been able to post. So this is short to ck it out.
cckayac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #454  

Well today is a new day and I guess its working sounds like dieting huh? At any rate I had 2 times written about my trip. So now you are having the shorter version. Lots of exercise kayaking almost daily, swimming, hiked about 4 miles to a lake you only could hike to. Beautiful beach after the hike and a lovely swim with the moutains in front of us. This was a girls trip in the 3 of us found our way hurray for us. It was a bit scary not to know where or what we would see but say adventure and I am usually game leading the way of course. The lake was clean and sparkly not dirty in anyway but preserved from people whom usally mess it up. My food for the most part wasn't bad and of course I had some goodies but in moderation. After all it was a mini vacation away from phones, utilities and water. Oh now I didn't tell you I got sick oh that wasn't nice at all. I had to have the hubby drive me to the bathrooms in the night. Got a tummy bug but he only lasted for a few hrs. then it was gone. The hubby got it the next day and had it most of the day seems it hits everyone different sil got it at home a day later. I came back home one day earlier than planned but it gave me a day to rest before heading back to work this a.m. So a nice short work week. I don't have another day off till my B day on the 21 st. I am nicely tanned once again and i like it not having to wear much makeup, colored my hair last night as it really got bleached out a bit too much with the sun this week. Sounds like everyone is on track. And yes I agree tracking helps especially if you have been off track for a bit. I am going to use that the rest of this week. I have a nice salad packed with greens, oranges slices, grilled ck breast, nuts and cottage cheese and a lite dressing. I had a half of lenders bagel for b w/a cup of fruit so its a good start to my day.
Judy good for you smaller size getting really close to being under the #2 area. That is so great I'd give yah a high five if I could reach you!! ###55555!
Marie bear was better off home cause that is bear country and he could of been in trouble. Safer at home with SIL plus it gave her company. He handled it well didn't eat till the 3 rd day but of course she most likely ensured he had plenty of treats. Bad girl she is with that I have to talk to her all the time. Sounds like your doing well with intake and exercise you go girl we can do this.
Penny I too have a space in the new garage for my gardening stuff it so much nicer than hunting for everything. My garden is doing great and so are the flowers oh gotta go to work forgot the time
Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #455  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all,

Halfway through the work week. Terrible how I mark the time. I do that on weekends and days off but with the opposite intonation. At work I'm glad, on vacation/days off I'm sad.

Food was probably a little low yesterday. I was cutting up my costco fruit and munched away on melons. Since they're so low in calories and I was too full for much dinner, that worked in my favor cal wise. I'd say guessing onthe high end (as I haven't finished logging it but I will) about 1100 cals. I swam last night 1/4 mile as my feet and legs are cramping terribly this year. It happens every year and my dr. had no great ideas. Swimming just makes my feet and legs cramp. Yesterday was particularly bad. My foot wouldn't stop cramping for about 30 minutes. Very painful and very weird. So no walking this morning but I bet I swim again this evening as it's to be 95 degrees.

Tonight is Kai's first doggie school day. We should have fun. The Love Pup and I snuggled this morning and she was so soft and sweet. Last night after I swam, she jumped in the shower with me so I gave her a bath. Her doggie shampoo is no stored in my tub as she'll jump in if the show door is open just a crack. She's such a goofy girl. So now her fur is like velvet. By the time I get home from work, she'll be dusty and dirty from playing in the yard.

Carol, sounds like you had a great time. I'd love to swim in a crystal clear lake. They are so awesome. I remember camping with my parents in Wyoming and the mountain lakes were so beautiful. BTW, a friend of mine bought a kayak and is pushing me to get one too. One never knows as my birthday is also approaching...

Judy, it's amazing how easy it is to talk oneself out of being good and on track - whether exercise or food. I rarely talk myself out of exercise. I actually had to talk myself into stopping yesterday with both the walking and the swimming as my body was in pain. I wanted to keep going (and did on the swimming but not as far as usual so that is a point in my favor). But food, my inner demon SCREAMS when a treat is near by. I hate that demon.

Penny is a dear, just in case you all didn't know. She's making more of my favorite orange blossom soap. And she doesn't know this yet, but I may be in her area later this month so perhaps I'll be able to treat her and her DH to breakfast this round. We're very unlucky about meshing schedules on my latest trips to Portland.

Well, I should work even though I'd rather not.
Marie
Old 07-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #456  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Marie - Way to go keeping on track! Where did you get your dry wipe board for the fridge? Is it magnetic? That would be handy to jot down my intakes. It's funny you have the same dilemma about thinning out the strawberries. I mean to do it each year and leave nice rows so I can pick them without stomping on them but I don't like to throw out such nice plants and don't know anyone who wants any. Kai sounds so soft and cuddly. How cute that she takes a shower with you. I've made your soaps and the house smells like an orange grove! I'll get them off to you tomorrow. It seems the fates don't want us to get together any time soon. I'm having surgery next Thursday to replace my breast implant. It's a bit more involved than a regular augmentation and I'll be out of action for a couple of weeks. Let's play it by ear though, as I may be well enough to meet up with you when you come to town - I hope so! My DS had a touching comment - he asked if I was going for an "E" cup! Then I'd definitely be lop sided!

Judy - That's a good idea to write down what you're going to eat the next day the night before. I definitely have to get one of those dry wipe boards.

Carol - Your camping trip sounded great - except for the tummy upset part. It must have been lovely swimming in that pristine lake .

Its hot, hot, hot here today and I had to push myself to get to Curves. They had the AC turned way up, so that was nice. They are putting the garage door on tomorrow and painting on Friday, so our nice little garage will soon be finished and I can get all of my hubby's garden stuff out of my side of our regular garage and my garden shed. All the new plants and grass are growing in well and we're really enjoying our new back yard. I got a new light weight edger, trimmer called a Worx. It's the best thing since sliced bread as I can do all the beds and edging without the arthritis hurting in my hand. It's ultra lightweight and runs on a rechargeable battery which lasts for ages between chargings.

Last edited by penpal; 07-09-2008 at 06:35 PM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #457  

Girls its great to be in touch again. Something about electricity that really makes life easier but I like it without too for a bit. Work was beyond crazy yesterday. After being in the office for one hr. I had 3 emergency need to take action on things that came my way. I started off with the boss telling me how great I looked rested tan etc. Then I ck'd my messages and from then throughout the day it was nuts. I have a special meeting today to try and clear up a mess someone else created by telling a doctor her values instead of my consumers next thing yah know a recommendation for my lady to quit work for 3 months, go to day prog. instead oh was her family hot. It was all over wt. my girl gained 8lbs in a yr. The staff told that she works in a bakery and eats all the goodies doc felt it better to make a chg. after 10 years of independent work. Oh how some people can mess something up. So I went into action right off the bat and got charts of her wt. etc. She had the highest wt. the day coming off of vacation hello isn't that all of us normally and has anyone told us to chg jobs or quit? NO! Oh todays meeting will be interesting and someone is not taking her to the doc's again. Well thanks for letting me vent cause I have to run this meeting in a professional manner and have to keep my feeling bottled up to a pt. Well I am sure when the brother gets done advocating I won't need to. He couldn't wait for me to return from vac. I said when I took 3 weeks it wasn't this nuts. Thank goodness as you say Marie the weekend is almost here.
Marie if you ever do decide on a kayak a few things to keep in mind wt. of the kayak mine is about 45lbs. and 13ft. long the hubbies is much shorter and his is less wt. too. Moving it is a bit easier but when I was in the middle of a lake the other day I was greatful for my kayak being stronger built and longer. I was able to get some good stokes in and felt secure in my boat the girls I was with in the rough water not terrible but waves were having a hard time. I had speed on my side along with my boat took the waves better. So just something to keep in mind. Here in CNY in the fall they have a paddle day where yah go up north and go to different spots for 5 bucks all day cantry out different boats, paddles etc. Good luck! When is your B day? Mine is the 21st. and my daughters. We will maybe go kayaking if the weather is good and for lunch or dinner. Try and do some tip toe exercise warm up before exercising in the pool? Is your calcium intake low? Just thoughts. Keep up the good efforts your doing great.
Penny the soap scents sound lovely I need to make some too. You always motivate me to want to do that. I am getting low here. Good luck on the surgery your hubby is funny but most men I guess would think in the same way. The new garden tool sounds like it works well. My gardens are getting a bit over grown somethings are showing up I don't remember ever putting where they are. Must be ther birdies.
Judy hope your doing well and keep motivated we all need to remember the big picture and how nice it is to see the scale move or the clothes fit better.
Today I have on a little swing skirt with a slight ruffle and a simple top. Not over dressed but I have to run a meeting thought the need to look the part today with my tan the choc. skirt with a little print works well with the brown top. Well gotta fly I have made a nice salad and will eat a bagel on the way in and have a peach around 10. so lunch and breakfast are good. Dinner will be a breakfast style with blueberry pancakes and sausage tonight so I am trying to watch the cals earlier in the day.
Gotta adjust to what works all the way around. Give a little take a little.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #458  

Hi, chickies--

I'm feeling very scattered--one thought gets chased away by something else, as my brain spins around between the things I gotta do! But as time passes, the list gets shorter. Either things have gotten done, or it's too late to do them anyway, or they don't seem to be as important as they felt last week...

I'm leaving town on Friday for a conference in Iowa, and not taking my computer, so I may not check in again until I get home Sunday night. I've been good with exercise, although not as much yoga and meditation as I'd promised myself. Hmmm, wonder if that would help with the unfocused monkey brain . I've been good about eating on program, but last night I lost it altogether and ate about 400 extra calories. But my body feels light, almost like I've had a whoosh (which the scale says isn't true). Maybe I'm just still high from the extra sugar

Carol, your trip sounded nice, except for the tummy bug. It's so great that your hubby can go camping with you, even with his physical difficulties.

Penny, I got my old dry erase board from a dollar store, but I got a much nicer one this year from an office supply store. I will be thinking of you on Thursday--I know that you've been looking forward to dealing with those implants.

Marie, I wonder what's causing those cramps! Maybe a physical therapist can help you figure it out (although whatever problem you have, their answer is to come in for therapy twice a week).

I'm so far behind on my to-do list today. A friend of mine dropped by the office and we shot the breeze for half an hour...and now I don't want to tackle any of this work. But duty calls!

See everyone in a few days--judy
Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #459  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all I'm actually writing from home. Too busy at work. They're physically moving our building in less than two weeks and the expectation is that the network won't be down but for a moment. Never mind that the building move will take a week. Crazy PTB's.

Penny, I got my good dry wipe from Staples. It's great for communications between DH, DS2 and me. Like I really wanted my Yellow Jeep to have it's new parts so that I could drive it since it's my summer vehicle. So I left DH a message to PLEASE fix it when he got home from work. And voila, what did I drive today in the hot, hot sun? My topless yellow Jeep. How wonderful is that???

Judy, isn't it easy to get distracted and then not want to get back to work. Heck, I do that with dieting. I agree about the physical therapists. No time for 2X week. I'm definitely not low on calcium as I have 1 c. milk in the morning, and calcium tabs 2X a day. This week I added TUMS as my ob/gyn suggested that when I was preggers many moons ago. Worked then and I'm trying again. I also bought potassium caplets at the store. I have hope. Last year I researched it a bit and it seems pretty common for swimmers to have cramps in their feet and legs. None yesterday though and I'm thinking of out of water exercise this evening and just vegeing in the pool later.

Carol, vent all you'd like. 8 pounds in a year and the dr. is worried??? This must be a stick thin dr. with a metabolism of a gazelle. That's insane!!!! Quit the job??? Does dr. not want to get paid??? See, I'm mad on your behalf. Thanks for the pointers on the kayak. I'd say next year or the following I'll probably get one. This year is a plane. Yes you read that right. DH and I are going the private plane route. Long story but it's part of the retirement plan. And boy-oh are the spendy. But since the carrier that flies between KFalls and Portland is pulling out of KFalls in October, I guess we could do it ourselves.

What do you all think about starting a new Daily Check In thread but with no number behind it. It might get a couple new members. I know when I see the list, all the ones going forever don't interest me as it takes forever to read all the posts. Just a thought.

Tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!!
Marie
Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #460  

Judy have a safe trip. My brain fog has come and gone this week as well I think we are on overload. Hopefully we do our best and there isn't much more than that we can do. I ate some blueberries their suppose to help hah hah! I too have to confess my nice lunch from yesterday is in the ref. at work for today. I had to run out and observe my client before I represented her case in the afternoon. So I found myself at her worksite a huge store one of our best with so many choices for lunch. I ended up with a half of a sub not small but little mayo.,lean roast beef, veggies, peppers a bit of olive oil and vinegar. Oh it was so good can yah say stress eating??? Then after that had fresh fruit. For dinner I did around 350 for cals. Later on had a small bowl of my pomgrante ice cream and a 1/2 cup of chips. Oh so naughty! Wow now I feel better that I got that all out. No exercise either other than a bit of stairs up, down, to my car and back a few times over.
But as Judy says I feel good today and actually my clothes are fitting better this week. For awhile there I felt like it was all pushing in my waist area not good as I am tall and have always carried it nicely for the most part. So I looked at myself today and said hey girl your doing okay so get back on track and continue down that road! So I will somehow be good all day today! I think your plane trip sounds exciting but I am a bit confused. When are you going and where? Good for you two life is short and sometimes we need to not wait on things that are important goals we have planned for years. I called my nephew last night whom is a contractor and asked him to stop over today to give me a price on a 12x14 roof for over my deck area no way do I want hubby on a ladder nor can he do it and he admitted it. This way together my hubby and I can screen in the porch but need assistance with the roof as it connects to our other roof etc. He said I will be right over on friday so I am looking forward to that being done. It will be so nice. I think for my birthday I would like the wicker loveseat from Target. It is on sale for 100.00 was 150. It would look nice out there. This deck is connected from my Adirondack room and connects over through a back entry to my SIL's apartment. It will be nice for all of us. Then the other project is having a ramp built for hubby and SIL to go on the side of the house up to the screened porch area. In the winter we will cover it in so it still can be utilized for storage etc. Sometimes we just need to get things done and my hubby can still do some things but there are limitations and we know it. Thank goodness we are getting ahead on finances and life is a bit easier. That raise I got last year seems to be finally showing a change. I am all about paying things off and how good it feels. Well thats it thanks for listening to me ramble.
Marie please make sure yah don't lose me when we start a new thread. Is it possible to add it to your reply then we just click it to get to it. Oh I am sure we will find it go for it I say! We could use some company huh! Maybe spice up our site a bit? Well girls its off to work and go talk to my client about her 8lbs. doctor recommended a lowfat lowcarb diet. I am going to offer to attend the nutritional counseling with her for a few times. So she is more comfortable and of course I will learn something from it too. Not a bad idea I say!!! Take care and enjoy it this is finally friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #461  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Carol - I'm glad to hear your clothes are fitting better - that's always a good feeling! Good for you staying on track even with all the stress. I found a good way to locate our thread is to click on the name on the far left side of any post in our thread (where the member's is shown). You can choose "find more posts by Marie" for example, which will lead you to the current posts that you can click on. Hope this helps.

Judy - I hope you're feeling less scattered and that your trip to Iowa goes well. Thanks for the tip on where to get a dry erase board for the fridge. I hope you soon get your "whoosh"!

Marie - I'll check out the dry erase boards at Staples as we have one nearby. Wow, your ''plane plan" sounds interesting! I had no idea that the local carrier is canceling their flights to PDX. Our DS traveled on it a few times when he was in school down there. I hope your move at work goes well without too many hitches. Our DS used to get leg cramps when he played sports in hot weather. I check it out on the web and started having him eat a banana every day when he worked out in hot weather and it worked! It's a safer way to get potassium but of course has about 100 calories. Watermelon is also very high in potassium and other good minerals.

I went to lunch with a girlfriend yesterday and had popcorn shrimp. It upset my tummy a bit. I should have known better as they were kind of greasy and my friend also insisted in sharing a dessert. So I was a bit off plan but it made me feel so yucky I'm going to eat very lightly today and over the weekend. Thanks for all your good wishes for my upcoming surgery next Thursday. I'll be glad to get it over with. We're planning on a short trip to Vancouver BC once I've recovered, so that's something to look forward to.

Last edited by penpal; 07-11-2008 at 11:11 AM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #462  

Well girls so much for fitting better in my clothes. Even though that may be quite true to the eye the scale says way different. According to that ugly box which I haven't ventured on in quite some time I am up about 6lbs. than I would of figured. Now I will be going on again on sunday a.m. to see if part of that is water wt. from salt but if not this girl is not in anyway pleased. Now I have on an outfit to go to a 60th brunch this a.m. and I am feeling fine in it. What the heck. Do you even think it could be part muscle I am only hoping I guess but still very displeased with myself. Guess no more ice cream for a bit even if it was small. Also nothing after 7:30 I will try a few things including the gym unless I exercise by kayaking or something like that. Going to really becareful. I didn't expect that out of the ugly box. If it was nicer I would give it a better name. Hah hah. At least I will be more careful during this brunch and dinner out tonight to stay on the healthy side of the menu.
I hope you boxes are nicer than mine was maybe I should of used it sooner to ensure it was being nice???? Thought the eye monitor was working? Guess we just never know what to do forsure. But I am not giving up this goal. I have set a mini goal for my birthday 3lbs. lets pray I can do it. I only have 10 days.
Penny I will remember how to ck that out to get on our site. But if I am missing send me a private mailing please. I guess I need our site more these days than ever.
Well have a good day and I will try to do the same. Wish I had done measurements at least that might of made me feel better about the wt.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #463  

Ai-yi-yi, the folks at this conference are nice and I've enjoyed being with them, but I had to escape this morning's panel discussions. Droning on and on. I'm playing hooky at the hotel's business center computer. Yesterday I played hooky froom my program. I did a short workout before heading to the airport Friday morning, and packed snacks for the trip. The security guy at the airport decided that my 8-oz Skyy yogurt was dangerous, so he confiscated it . I changed planes in O'Hare, where I bought a bag of my favorite carmel corn...and my day's eating went downhill from there. Today I will eat "normally," no matter what. I'll workout during the evening break.

Marie, if you start a new thread, please post a note here, too. It will hlpe Juls, Elyn and others find us, too.

I should be good and go back to the conference. The information is actually very useful. But the format, and the way the room's set up, makes it hard for me to concentrate for very long. I'll be back home Sunday evening, and will catch up then.

enjoy your weekend--judy
Old 07-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #464  

Good morning girls. Well the weekend truly goes by way to fast. I went to the brunch yesterday. Didn't do too bad there. Enjoyed seeing my family lots of the folks yah don't see all the time were there. It was a pleasure to spend some time with them. I had a nice compliment about the necklace I had made my aunt months ago for her birthday. The lady asked me to show her some of my pieces. So I guess maybe creating some new things is in store for me. Fun and I will have to make some time to do so. We went out for dinner last night the choice there should have been better but I gave in. Today is the beginning of my stricter intake journal. No more figuring just in my head. I am going to fit in some exercise as well today and head back to the gym on monday. Talk to you all soon as this is another thing that I need to keep up with daily. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #465  
Lifelong Journey Member

OK I started another thread. It's at http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...84#post2268084 so please migrate chickies. Please!!!!