Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #181  

Juls sometimes its so hard to lose and keep it off so at least look at the bright side your stable. That is also important. When you have been sick its tough to get back in the full swing of things take it slow don't over due or sometimes you get right back sick. So enjoy like downunder as its sounds like you are and all the rest will come into play when your ready. Just watch that choc. oh how it slips right on my behind. Hah hah!!!
Judy good for you thats great you got the exercise ball. I would like to get one too and a good tape. I tried pilates but the other girls stopped the gym and I never returned to the class. Maybe I will try that again. We used the ball there it was fun and great exercise.
Marie sounds like your doing well. Oh computers how much fun. My new laptop is nice I can sit in front of the fire and be with the hubby and on the computer too.
Nikki hope all is well with you.
Penny are you keeping yourself busy with other stuff while your not able to exercise as much. Reading health benefit mag. or books sometimes will inspire me to stay on track while not able to exercise as much.
My gyms tip this week is make sure we get enough sleep. They said warm milk the old fashion idea wasn't wrong. They encourage a dairy product or oatmeal one hr. before bedtime nothing more than 200 cals. A yogurt is my norm. Gotta go warm up the care it is bitter cold out there only 8.
cckayac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #182  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Judy - Maybe you're right about the chocolate irritating my IBS. I'm feeling better now it's all gone! I'm also sensitive to white flour and my DH was buying things like english muffins - which I have now tossed and we're back to our normal healthy whole sprouted grain bread. You're doing great with the consistent exercise!

Marie - Your trip to Reno sounded like fun. I bet your puppies were sooo glad to see their Mom & Dad when you got back. Hopefully the weather is better for walking now. We need to have a getaway soon, we haven't been anywhere together for so long. My DH travels a lot, but I get to "mind the fort", which is ok by me but I'd like to see some new scenery soon.

Carol - Good idea to mix up the exercises a bit or it can become boring. I hope your weather has improved and you're soon seeing signs of spring. It's been really nice here the last few days and even the birds seem happier. I agree about the oatmeal before bedtime. My DH and I always sleep better if we have a small bowl before bedtime. I like the steel cut oats. It takes longer to cook but I like the texture better. I make a big batch that lasts almost the whole week. I especially like it with a splash of vanilla coffee creamer - yum!

Juls - I'm glad to hear you spent some time with your family in Sydney. Our son is 5 hours away too, so I know how it feels. I love creamy curries too but they are usually loaded with calories (like most yummy things!) When I get a craving for curry I make a big batch of boiled eggs and mash them with a little lowfat mayo a pinch of salt and some Bolsts curry powder (in my opinion the very best curry). We sometimes have this on toast for breakfast or a snack. It's so tasty a little goes a long way.

Thanks everyone for your get well wishes. I'm feeling better today and it's tempting to get outside in the sunshine and do some gardening. I'll have to be ultra careful though as I sure don't want to undo my progress so far. I'm starting to do the back/abs strengthening exercises. I have already been doing ab clenching exercises when laying down. My girlfriend, who has had really awful back problems including two surgeries said that just clenching the abs in a rolling motion for about 30 sec. whenever you think of it during the day (kind of like kegel exercises) really tones the abs if you do it regularly.

Last edited by penpal; 02-28-2008 at 11:29 AM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #183  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi everyone,

The workday is almost over - yeah!!! It's pretty and sunny. Penny, take a chair outside and sit in the sun for a bit. Light therapy is excellent for the mental health. Just because you're outside doesn't mean you have to exercise. Just enjoy the idea of spring coming.

Judy, way to go on the exercise ball exercise. I had one and DGS played with it - it rolled into the heat vent and voila I had a dead ball.

Juls, it's interesting - both you, me and Penny have sons 5 hours away. I figure it's a good distance. Not too close that I'm dumped on and not far so that I can visit to my heart's content.

Carol, my first thought with your gym's tip - cool another decaf mocha. I look for excuses you know. Mine are under 200 cals so I could do it...

The doggies took me out again this morning. I replaced the headlamp batteries and could make out more of the holes and ruts inthe dirt road. If the snow ever melts and then the roads dry up some, they'll grade them and walking will be safe again. Til then I just hope the doggies don't lead me astray.

Food is pretty good today. I had a 2nd mocha (the first is 91 cals) and the 2nd was a skinny from the Bucks. 110 cals then I doctored it and added about 50 cals. So not too bad on the splurge. I had a salad for lunch and a light yogurt. So I'm doing pretty good.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #184  

Well girls we have a new nutritionist at our clinic which I send clients too. So the new gal says watch the caffine intake, add fiber and protien to the breakfast time, mult vit. daily, evening snacks healthy ones available. So some good info. shared with my group home staff to assist people with special needs. I think I will learn along the way with them all.
Marie I agree the sunshine does nice things for us. It was very cold again today then tonight down to 4 burrrrrrrr! I am so glad its friday tom. oh its been a long work week. Just a lot of stuff going on lots to keep up with. But a good week as far as accomplishing things.
Judy your doing great keep it up.
Penny so glad your starting to feel some relief. Don't over do. I am jealous of you girls who have sons living so close. Mine is 14 flying hrs. away huh!!!! Bah hum bug! I can't wait to see the baby and them. I am going to do some baking for them and special cooking too. Should be fun maybe we will make some polish pierogies while I am there. He has attempted to make them in the past. Well my intake today was pretty good I did get into some corn curls but thats still better than some crunchy snacks. I had some sugar free jello tonight for my snack.
My son inlaw has decided to take a buy out from his company my daughter called me and got upset when I said it was concerning what about ins. etc.... she got mad hung up. So my stress level tonight was elevated abit needless to say. But emotional eating was controlled to green sf jello not choc. not chips etc. that is an improvement. I just worry about their future and the kids etc.... I guess I will go call her so she knows we are okay no words will be exchanged just chatt hopefully. Boy being a mom isn't an easy job!!!
Have a good one!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

What a week! I'm so glad it's over...Next week will be so much calmer (knock wood ).

Juls, I'm so glad that you're feeling better! I wish chocolate was healthy, too--we'd all look like Halle Berry in Catwoman...

Carol, it must be hard to be a parent to adults and seem to be meddling...she'll be fine, and you did well not to munch!

Marie, you sound like you're right back on the wagon.

Penny, thanks for telling us about Bolst curry powder! The one I have is so-so, it's good to have a recommendation.

I'm managing to work out most days despite the crazy hours. Eating hasn't been great, I'm taking in a few too many calories. I'll see what my weight is on Sunday. I can tell that I'm smaller around the middle, and my arms and legs are feeling more toned, so whatever the poundage is, I've had a good month.

This weekend: chores, chores and more chores!

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #186  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all, the work week ends in 15 minutes but I'm not really working here...

The doggies and I walked this morning and food has been ok. I've had a headache all day and that's just not loke me. I rarely get them since I went decaf a few years ago. Then I looked at the calendar and realized the tomorrow or Sunday TOM will be visiting and that sort of explained it even through I usually don't get PMS.

Carol, good luck with your daughter. It's hard not to worry. But you did great on not eating the choc chips. I'd have been in that choco bag pretty quickly. Sometimes though I exercise instead so occasionally I do the right thing too.

Judy, good luck on next week being better. I have work to do on my website. A couple weeks ago I killed the announcement dynamic page and I thought I'd fixed it. But alas, not all the pages are working. Eeks. I really don't want to fix it so I'm thinking my next week isn't going to be as fun. So hopefully yours will be.

Penny, Juls and Nikki. Hope all is well.
Marie
Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #187  
Brit Chick

Marie - I didn't realize that like Juls, your DS is also 5 hours away. We ought to have some kind of "5 hours of separation" club going! I hope your headache went away.

Carol - That's handy to have a nutritionist you can get some good tips from. That's funny your DS trying to make pierogies - I guess he misses your good home cooking! They are going to be real spoiled with all your good cooking when you visit. I hope things have smoothed over with your DD. People get emotional when they are facing a big life change - I expect that's why she got upset.

Judy - I hope you get a nice calm work week next week. Don't worry what the scale says on Sunday, the main thing is you're getting toned so that means you're gaining muscle - a good thing! I hope you can find the Bolst curry. I bought mine in an East Indian shop. I asked the owner what was the most popular kind as they had so many. I love shopping at ethnic stores, you find all kinds of exotic and interesting things. We're lucky to have an Uwajimaya store near us that has foods from 8 different Asian cultures. It's a giant store and they even have live fish and all kinds of live shellfish. The Japanese candies are always interesting and have interesting names such as "Chocolate Colon" whatever that means! I think the Japanese people just like to name things in english and they don't really know what they mean. If you ever want a good chuckle, look at engrish.com.

Juls - I hope you're doing fine.

I'm feeling lots better and I'm hoping to start going to Curves again next week and just take it a bit easy on some of the tougher machines. I have three meetings next week which include lunches, so I'm going to have to plan on having a snack first so I won't be too tempted.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #188  

Girls I have managed to get a little cold oh bah hum bug!!! Today I am going to venture to a lovely garden show. A guy I used to babysit many moons ago is a landscaper and quite great at what he does. I would love to go see his display which is always wonderful and he is so talented. I think I will take my camera for sure. His mom is a best friend of mine whom lives in FL so he looks forward to my coming each year as she can't. I missed last year and he knew it and I heard about it. Funny how people really want your input and praise I really think thats nice.
Marie your doing great and the little shops sound wonderful I love different foods to bad the others I live with are such simple food lovers meat /potatoe. I did manage to bake some homemade sweet pot. and white pot. fries with spices and olive oil. They were well liked by all. I made some fish too. Not a bad eating day stayed with in my cals. No exercise due to not feeling well.
Judy hope your week is well this week and less stress than last. I am so looking forward to my trip 23 more days. Started tanning yesterday so I will have a good base and will look nice when I go. Curry dishes are so nice something I have never ventured into for myself but my daughter loves them. I should try some any good ideas for me. I would like to try something new and I love spicy stuff.
Penny hope your doing better everyday. Starting to get back of the swing of things is great. Don't over do.
Does any here do the ball exercise where you use the smaller ball and do lifts and swings , crunches etc? I have seen people at the gym do it and I think it would be a great exercise to do at home.
My intake hasn't been to bad about 100 cals more than I thought but I have been tracking and thats always better. LESS would be better and I will strive for that today.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #189  

This weekend was too, too short...I've wasted half of Sunday moping that I don't have more time . I've been on program, and got an extra workout in on Saturday. I'm going to try to have at least two days a week where I do a second formal workout. i've been remembering about my rowing machine, and using that more for a shorter, 30-minute workout some evenings.

Carol, I've seen routines in magazines that use those smaller, heavy balls. Should be good for the back, abs and obliques.

Penny, when I was in Japan a few years ago, the grocery stores, billboards and tee shirts kept me in stitches. But I had to admit that even so, people there know a lot more English than I knew Japanese. It's good to hear you talking about Curves again.

Marie, your doggies must have been happy that you didn't leave town yet again! Good luck with this work week. If I just focus on "now," instead of what happened a few days ago or what might happen a few days from now, I'll do better work and not get so stressed.

A huge ongoing challenge is to eat a little something sweet and satisfying in the evenings but not too much. My PM smoothies were growing too elaborate (and calorie-laden); popcorn, oatmeal and other grains after dinner set of intolerable cravings. I've tried cottage cheese and fruit, or nuts and string cheese, but I would find myself rummaging around in the kitchen about 45 minutes later. I'm getting plenty of calories otherwise, I know it's just my fat cells in revolt. Any suggestions? Last night I put a square of dark chocolate, two orange Fiber Choice tablets and three little ginger hard candies on a dessert plate. That sort of worked, but it does feel a wee bit dotty. I grabbed some knitting as soon as I was done.

Be well--judy
Old 03-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #190  
Brit Chick

Judy - I've been struggling with the munchies too - which is not so good given my lack of exercise! I found the food that keeps me feeling satisfied the longest is oatmeal. I make a big batch of the slow cooking kind (4c water to 1c steel cut oats), which seems to be more filling. Sometimes I don't want to stand there stiring it for half an hour, so I just make a batch before bedtime. I bring the water to a boil, throw in the oats and raisins, give it a stir, put a lid on the pan and turn off the heat (important! ). In the morning it's ready to warm up in the microwave for breakfast. The rest can be refrigerated for several days. You can slice half a banana or other fruit on it too for an extra treat. Sometimes I even have it for dinner if I've gone a bit overboard on calories earlier in the day.

Carol - I hope your cold went away and that you had a nice time at the garden show. That was a sweet story about the guy you used to babysit. He obviously respects your opinion about his work.

I managed to do a little bit of pruning in the yard today as it was a lovely sunny day. It felt good to get outside. We have someone coming to quote on our new patio tomorrow and I'm really excited about that. Our old concrete slab looks so awful.

Have a good week everyone.

Last edited by penpal; 03-02-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #191  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all,

Judy it is so sad that weekend is over. Two days just isn't enough. We had company for dinner on Saturday and it was also doggie day (the doggies spent the whole day with me including a trip to Petco for a new toy each). Then yesterday we skied. And we skied hard. 14 runs, 13 of which were on the black diamonds I was pooped. so I took a doggie nap in the late afternoon. I slept in the sunshine. Very decadent, me and blizzie snuggled for an hour. so it was a great weekend.

And now back at work.

I had my 6 month dentist visit and cleaning. The dentist said my teeth looked "great". I've never received that praise. How cool, I'm finally getting healthy teeth and gums now that I'm old. Sort of silly.

Penny, I'm glad you're getting back on your feet. I hope you have some good exercise to strengthen your back so it doesn't happen again.

Judy, I'm with you on the moping that the weekend is so short. Hopefully our weeks will be smooth sailing.

Carol, I hope the cold goes away quickly. You want to be healthy for your HI trip. That's only 3 weeks away.
Marie
Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #192  

Okay, so I've gotten over it and am embracing the fact that it's Monday--which is easier now that the workday will be over soon! Marie, it sounds like you had a lovely weekend--athletic and relaxing.

Penny, I'm glad that you're feeling up to doing a little yard work! Take it easy, though, no lifting. I love oatmeal, tool. The Quaker Oats Weight Control packets are fast fixes for mornings I want something substantial but have no time to even fry an egg, but I bought some steel-cut oats and will try your way some mornings. I can't tell if whole grains are good desserts for me--I think they just make me want more food--so I tend to have oatmeal when I'm on my way out the door and away from temptation .

I did the IntenSati workout this morning. Lots of lunging and big arm movements, but the instructors constant exhortations ("Feel it! Believe it") are starting to wear on my nerves. I had a Curves shake with soy milk for b'fast, oatmeal and almonds for AM snack, a cup of shrimp-veggie soup and a salad with salmon for lunch, and a little chickpea salad w/string cheese for afternoon snack. I'm feeling like a burger and veggies for dinner.

This morning's weight is 218.5. I was a little bummed that it wasn't lower, but the pants I'm wearing today are much looser than they were last time I wore them, so I'm happy!

Carol, I hope that your little cold is even littler today.

Juls and Nikki, I hope you're doing well today!

judy
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #193  
Lifelong Journey Member

Wow Judy, "Feel It. Believe It." I'd throw something at the TV. I'd suggest you not change careers and become their salesperson. I have a hard time with WATP Leslie's chattiness. I'm glad that you persevered and finished. You are doing so great and are staying on track. With all your traveling, how do you do that? Everytime I travel and return home, I feel like I'm starting over and it doesn't happen overnight. I'm so impressed with your ability to stay on track.

That said, it's clear I'm still struggling on the food front. Yesterday I was searching my office for food like a mouse, I'm surprised I didn't get down and sniff every corner. Luckily there was very little here and I couldn't munch into oblivion. Today I'm hoping to be less focused on food.

The doggies and I walked again this morning. The road district put piles of rocks on the roads and didn't smooth it down. I swear the morning walks are going to injure me some day. Luckily DH had gotten me a good LED headlamp and I saw the traps along the way.

I hate Tuesdays. I don't know why other than most work gets dumped on my on Tuesdays. So I woke in a b*tchy mood today and I'm thinking that many truffles would help. Thankfully there aren't any in my office.
Marie
Old 03-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #194  

Marie, the affirmations get worse..."Every day, in every way, I am better and better, YES!" Or "I desire, I focus, I intend, I become!" But you know...it gets into my head, and at other times I'll hear myself saying, "I! Am! Stronger! Now!" Good thing I never joined a cult .

I'm taking a break to eat my afternoon snack: sliced half an orange pepper, some hummus and a big kosher dill pickle. Although the pickle was in its own snack baggie and inside a larger plastic bag, I still managed to get pickle juice in my purse . This morning I had Eggbeaters and salmon for b'fast, oatmeal for morning snack, and at a lunch meeting I had a cup of sausage soup (yum!), a small salad and a side of sauteed spinach and artichokes. I'm feeling very virtuous. But I didn't work out this morning. My body says that it needs a morning off. Maybe I'll work out this evening.

Hope all the other chickies are having a good day!

judy

Last edited by judydc; 03-04-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #195  

Girls I am doing better with my cold must of been all your warm thoughts coming my way. On sunday I did make it to see his show and he and the wife did a super job. I now anm the proud owner of lots of spring potted flowers. My house looks like a florist. He gave my friend in I most of his potted flowers at the end of his show. We wheel barrowed them out of the place and helped him take his display down. Nice trade off. They aren't only pretty but smell lovely from white tulips with purple trim to pink, red and some pansies and another kind my house smells lovely. Picks us up spirit wise thinking of spring. I am feeling better though my tummy was a bit out of sorts today but no time for that I had a major client emergency and ended up at the hospital half the day. So after work I managed to go work out and then went tanning for a little bit all for the future trip. 21 more days!!! Its coming quickly. The hubby went back to the docs for a reck yesterday. It will take double the time to heal due to the fact he was on the blood thinners. This doctor said that was risky giving some that whom has the ability to fall more often etc. Well looks like your all doing well from oatmeal to salmon. We are on a roll I tell yah together we are all working out more and totally on board in a positive way. Slowly but surely we will make a difference in our life styles. Hurray everyone for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Well gotta go ck something for the hubby. Talk to you soon. Oh I found some pitas which are thin and have flaxseed fiber too and only 60 cals. Tasty for lunch.