Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #256  

Greetings from the Lone Star State--
Not only has the group expanded, but everybody (except me) is writing more.
DH whined a bit last week about "couldn't I earn more money" so I've been trolling for more work... but I'm also wanting to paint, draw and knit. I know, I know, no excuses. Anyway, I'm also doing WW... and writing my food... which is illuminating, helpful and not always much fun. It occurs to me I'm rather like a binge drinker... I don't binge all that often (any more), but often enough to confuse my already confused metabolism, and often enough to not be fully "sober" between times. Yet, I notice improvement.

Best to each.
Where are y'all going for November?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #257  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterWoman View Post
Where are y'all going for November?
Painter - good to see you back again. Good luck drumming up more clients.

Is it time to pick another place already? Cripes - where did the month go?

Ok, here's my suggestions... for what they are worth -

"Nowhere in November" - I kinda like it here in Ontario. Certainly has not been as stressful as September was for us. And... if we're in Canada - we're in North America which starts with N

I know Mel is just honking and hollerin' to bring Santa out of the closet but I think it's just too darn cold to go to the North Pole.

We could always go to the Netherlands and get high

We could all pile in at Nae's house where it's ALMOST as cold as the North pole where we can cook up some stew, sit around the fire and sing and watch the deer in the early morning. I will bring the big telescope and we can look at the stars and planets.

Last edited by happy2bme; 10-27-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #258  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Or you could be warm and go to Nadi in Fiji, New Caledonia, or New Zealand. (not so warm). Or we could go to Nevada, Never Never Land, Namibia, New Guinea, Naples, Norway, or Nebraska or even North Carolina
Old 10-28-2007, 01:27 AM   #259  

Hiya all,
Had a long chat with Mel this morning. You should all be able to sleep better in your beds tonights. We have sorted the world. More or less.

Well I have achieved most of what I set out to do this weekend. Cleaned, some of the house, packed the DS2's stuff into boxes, cleared most of my stuff out of the kitchen and packed that, hired the shed, bought a new dishwasher and microwave (spent some money hey!! ) I got the F & P dishdrawers instead of a full washer. It cleans just as efficiently and can be set for full loads in either drawer, half loads in each drawer or only use one drawer and either way uses very little water. Since it will only be used when one drawer gets full, I guess we will be using it one at a time. DS2 will install it temporarily in the next week or so and I have to decide on the shape of the kitchen to come so we can get cracking on that. I will have to come home and do the painting part of it while he does the electrical and plumbing. I think I have more or less decided on black and white and stainless steel colour scheme and will add colour with the butter yellow walls and some touches of blue etc in the tiles for the splashback.

But that is in the future. Meantime I need to rest my weary feet, pay some bills and then have a break before we head off to the airport.

And that is about it. Think I will go back to the office for a rest and I'm sure DS2 will be pleased to kick me out of the car at the airport tonight. Other than that things are a-okay.

See ya.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:28 AM   #260  

Hiya all,
Had a long chat with Mel this morning. You should all be able to sleep better in your beds tonights. We have sorted the world. More or less.

Well I have achieved most of what I set out to do this weekend. Cleaned, some of the house, packed the DS2's stuff into boxes, cleared most of my stuff out of the kitchen and packed that, hired the shed, bought a new dishwasher and microwave (spent some money hey!! ) I got the F & P dishdrawers instead of a full washer. It cleans just as efficiently and can be set for full loads in either drawer, half loads in each drawer or only use one drawer and either way uses very little water. Since it will only be used when one drawer gets full, I guess we will be using it one at a time. DS2 will install it temporarily in the next week or so and I have to decide on the shape of the kitchen to come so we can get cracking on that. I will have to come home and do the painting part of it while he does the electrical and plumbing. I think I have more or less decided on black and white and stainless steel colour scheme and will add colour with the butter yellow walls and some touches of blue etc in the tiles for the splashback.

But that is in the future. Meantime I need to rest my weary feet, pay some bills and then have a break before we head off to the airport.

And that is about it. Think I will go back to the office for a rest and I'm sure DS2 will be pleased to kick me out of the car at the airport tonight. Other than that things are a-okay.

See ya.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #261  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

SHAD~ JEN AND I WERE LAUGHING WHEN I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH HER LATER. ,AKING JOKES ABOUT THE BED AND MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN IT HOME SO YOU CAN TRAVEL WITH IT! YOUR KITCHEN WILL GIVE YOU LOTS TO THINK ABOUT OTHER THAN DEADLINES AT WORK!! BET YOUR SON MISSES YOU MORE THAN SUNDAY!

HAPPY~ WONDER IF YOU LEFT YET. HOPE YOU HAVE A N ENJOYABLE TIME CRUISING THE COUNTRYSIDE LOOKING AT THE HOUSE AND FALL-NESS OF THE AREA.

PAINTER~ TOO BAD YOU DON'T LIVE NEAR ME.....THERE IS A NUTTER EVERY 50' OR LESS IN MY COUNTY!!! LOTS OF BUSINESS HERE!! INCLUDING ME GOOD LUCK!

SHY~NO ONE EVER BELIEVES I AM 60.....BUT I AM SEEING SOME AGING GOING ON THIS YEAR

TO CEEJAY....ARE YOU LURKING??? CARLA?? NAE??RUTH?? MADCAT IS POURING OVER HER TRAVEL BROCHURES....REMINDS ME OF HYACINTH BOUQUET!!!

I AM LIKING THE IDEA OF NOWHERE IN NOVEMBER...NAE'S IN NOVEMBER. I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO EITHER PLACE. I FIND IT COMICAL THAT MISS HAPPY SHOULD POST ABOUT NOT LEAVING HERE....I WAS JUST FEELING THE SAME WAY....SEE? GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!! I WOKE UP HUNGRY...MUST BE THE CHAT I HAD WITH SHAD AND ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD TODAY WE'RE HAVING A COLD SPELL. A/C OFF AND HEAT BACK ON! STARTING TO FEEL A BIT LOONY WITH THIS WEATHER. THE GOOD MALL IS TOMORROW AND I AM HOPING TO GO. LOTS TO READY IF I AM SO ...
HAPPY SUNDAY/MONDAY AND HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #262  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Argh stainless steel! I know it's currently the "in" thing to have but it's a to clean and it's a to keep clean. I'd toss mine if I had the chance.

I had to look up dishdrawer as that is a new concept. Kinda sort looks like a dishwasher to me. I don't see the difference between that and a regular dishwasher. Does see tho like it's going the way of my clothes washer with much more efficient use of water.

Sounds like you were two fingers short of running around like a mad woman Shad. Pity you have to run back right away and pick up the other job. But I'm sure you're feeling some sense of satisfaction so it's worth it!

Ok Mel - so it's settled. We're both going nowhere

I don't have time to chat. Living on borrowed time here trying to gulp some coffee into me. Then it's a quick shower and we're on the road.

Happy Sunday - talk to you later...
Old 10-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #263  

Shad, I agree with Happy on the stainless, although it does look lovely. Give me good old white every time. Much easier for a slob like me to keep clean. As for the dish drawers, I think they're brilliant, and I intend to have one when I redo my kitchen. Much quieter, no bending over to fill and empty, and, best of all, less water wasted. One thing though - the people I know who have dishdrawers have never, ever, used the second drawer and wish they'd only bought the one, leaving room for a nice deep drawer underneath.
So you're heading back to the contract from h*** already! Bummer. Be brave!

Mel, we've been having the same weird weather as you. Although it hasn't snowed yet, we do seem to have run through the seasons at least once if not twice this week. In fact I think I'll blame my recent bingeing on the weather - certainly can't be my fault!
Enjoy the mall trip. If there's an 'oomph' store there, could you pick me up a 6-month supply? I seem to be all out.

Happy, I agree with you on going nowhere this month, although be forewarned that as the days go by, November in Ontario will get sadder and sadder. Already there are many trees bare of leaves, they've drained the canal, there's rain and the wind has picked up, and soon the first snowfall and the rush to get snow tires on the car and find somewhere to store the all-seasons-except-for-Canadian-winter tires... (sorry - pet peeve number 6,720,479)
If you like the house you're visiting today, will that mean a move and a longer commute? Are you a member of that nomadic tribe that has to change houses whenever they get the one they're in just right?

Madcat, if you're in the mood for a beach holiday, Cuba is great and worth the $$. Even better if you do one of the packages that visits parts of the island other than Varadero. I've been there a few times (not recently), and always enjoyed myself. It has changed a lot since they first developed the tourist industry. A beautiful country with nice people. Of course with the embargo there's nothing much to buy except rum and sugar cookies (okay, that's a slight exaggeration)... Except for a Swatch watch at he airport with Che's face on the dial - I'll always regret leaving that behind, and may well go back one of these days just to get one! Oh - if you're doing any tours, the guides expect large tips in US dollars, and there are many, many guides on every tour.

Ceejay, did the coffee table show up yet? What's it like? I've been planning to get a new one for ages, but as usual planning is as far as it got. I like the idea of something with a couple of drawers for all the stuff that accumulates on top. And no more glass top to bark my shins on and wipe pawprints off of all the time. Of course if I were tidy and a good housekeeper like you, those wouldn't be problems.

Rennie, I agree with you on sleeping arrangements. In my book, whoever owns the house makes the rules. (I actually think one of the reasons so many kids don't leave home or come right back to stay is because their parents let them have the BF or GF sleep over. What a silly idea!) Now if the kids involved have been living together for a long time, have their own home and kids of their own, I'd consider them equivalent to married. Have you considered tents in the back yard for the overflow?

Linus, you disappeared around the time I started posting here. I must say you sound about 1000% better than you did then! I'm glad you made it through. And your boys are a very handsome crew indeed!

Rose, we're all dying to hear about the new BF. Did you meet over the net? Was he what you expected? A friend in NYC met a fantastic guy on yahoo. He was her second internet date, and they've been together for two years and plan to stay that way, so I do know it can work.

Well, ladies, I think I'd better get moving. Don't know if it's the weather, but I seem to be having a bit of the blues these days. And when Carla has the blues, Carla stuffs her face, gains weight, and gets more than just a bit of the blues... I have been spinning twice a week at about 500 cal a shot, and still managed to pack on almost 5 pounds. I blame the very expensive new black pants that needed me to lose about 5 (now ten) lbs to be a perfect fit. And, of course, the fact I've been tossing the 'big' clothes as I shrink, which means I have about three things that fit, none of them blouses or sweaters. At least it makes packing for a trip easy! This week is a travel week for work, always a diet disaster, but I'm hoping to get back on track once I'm home, especially if Mel finds the oomph store at the mall. (Maybe while she's there she can check lost and found and see if they've got my mojo, cause it sure isn't anywhere around here?)

Take care all. I really must get some cleaning done so the lady feeding the cats while I'm away isn't too grossed out by the mess.

to Ruth, Meadow, Holly (hope your cold is all gone!), Painter, and 1dayatatime.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #264  

It seems I may have been wrong about the white stuff. As I type, there's something that looks suspiciously like snow falling out there! The sun is shining, and I realize it's probably hail, but still... Tried to take a snap of it to no avail - it just doesn't show up against the sky. If I succeed later, I'll post the results. Are y'all sure you want to stay here for November? I guess I can keep my avatar a while longer - Dumouchel's 'Horrible Snow Cat' seems quite apt today.

Last edited by carla49; 10-28-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #265  

Eureka! A neighbour was out walking her dog and confirms the white stuff really was snow. Of which she took a picture you'll see below. Or maybe later - it seems I need to resize it, and can't quite remember how to do that. But it really was snow.

Okay, so I had to reduce the resolution to attach it, and now you'll need a magnifying glass to see the flakes... It's not going to get any better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oct 28 snow.jpg (23.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by carla49; 10-28-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #266  

I can see them, I can!!!!

Quick post this morning as I didn't get in until after 2.ooam and I slept in and I still haven't had my coffee.

Happy - Yep stainless steel can be the pits. I remember we had this conversation a while back about the various cleaners. Well yesterday when buying this thing, I considered white. I was actually going to buy white because of the dreaded SS, however we were discussing this with Gail the salesperson who said, just you hang abart there for a bit while I gogitsomestuff. So expecting brochures about how good the stuff is to clean now I was somewhat perplexed when she came back with butter and jam and bread and a toaster! Does anyone other than me find this strange??? Anyway we made toast and got the butter out of the dishwasher (yes strange place to keep butter. And we shut the door and buttered the toast, and then we picked up the toast and sort of dropped it into our hands, then we opened the dishwasher and took out the jam and left lovely greasy spots everywhere. Then we smeared jam and more butter on the thing and then some vegemite and on and on it went. We were attracting quite a crowd here. Some kid decided we needed icecream on it as well but no one had any so that got knocked on the head.
Anyway to cut a long story short. DS2 picked up the dishcloth thing and wiped over the drawers - all the women in the crowd told him which bits he missed. He then wet the cloth (hot water) and tried again and lo and behold all marks are gone. No streaks, nothing. Apparently now the stainless steel is covered with a form of stainless steel paint which is baked on - just like they do the white ones. Voila - no streaking. Who knows whether it will last for 10 years or so. It's guaranteed for 5. We will see. It is now virtually impossible to get a good oven or rangehood which is not stainless steel and I did want to see the kitchen all matched up. Anyway for what it is worth I did it and bought it and will let you know how it goes. But I thank you all for caring about my housekeeping wellbeing. Actually talking about the dishdrawers (Carla) We always thought that their was only one variety. They came in twos, but you just bought and installed one if that was what you wanted. But it isn't - there are singles. You can't split the doubles but you can buy singles - so if you want two, one on either side of the sink for instance you can do it with singles.
And I had to laugh because with the doubles, you need to check with the Rabbi as to whether you need one or two waste exits to keep the thing Kosher. It's written in the book!

Now, I have a pile of cr*p sitting on my desk - I'd better go do something about it. Why can't folk just leave me alone in my misery and stop interfering with my life. I'll be back to comment further later.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #267  

No offence taken. Haven't even got the brain working hard enough yet to say - uhhh what? What is Rennie saying here?

By the way - can you change your signature to read Started May 9, 2007. I have this phobia about words and yours is staring at me!!!!! Now I am being officious. Put it down to being a trainer and a details person.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #268  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

The coffee table has arrrived. It came Friday afternoon. I did have to call and remind them.

I'm with Happy and Mel, let's go "nowhere" .

Happy--Did you enjoy the drive?
Old 10-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #269  

Yeah - forget Never Never land - I am already in it.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:41 PM   #270  

Turned out to be a good day after all. Started out with NO INTERNET SERVICE. Apparently the wireless router belched or had an infarct or something. DH went to Frye's and got ethernet cable so now I am hardwired! AND we actually have security for the stuff we type. Except for the possibility of tripping on aforementioned cable, it is MUCH better. By the end of the month (or at least before company comes, next) there will probably be some re-threading of the cable through the sheet rock in various rooms.

Go SOX!!!

Oh, and while he was installing said cable, I went outside and pulled weeds and other out-of-place plants. I must remember to take a big dose of Advil before bed or I won't be able to get up in the morning. OUT. OF. SHAPE. If any of you know good cold weather perrenials, let me know, OK?

Thanks for the warnings on stainless appliance fronts. Low lighting and myopia are my best friends.

Mel -- if the nutters have phones I'd therapize them via telephone! But from the way you spoke of them, I'm thinking you aren't that close.

I would vote for Never-never-land. Here's the on line list I found:
Nagorno-Karabakh (Unrepresented)
Namibia
Nauru
Nepal
Netherlands
Netherlands Antilles
New Caledonia
New Zealand
Nicaragua
Niger
Nigeria
Niue (New Zealand)
Northern Ireland (UK)
Northern Mariana Islands
Norfolk Island (Australia)
Norway
US States beginning with N:
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota

Madcat-- I think mostly we regret what we DIDN'T do. I've had very nice friends from Cuba. Definitely a culture of their own. Keep us posted.

Linus- glad to read life is settling in for the better. Will have to go search for the photo of the family.

Off to watch the series!
Closed Thread