Old 08-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #121  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

See - almost lost my post again as this site timed out on my post. Good thing I saved it...
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:15 AM   #122  

With apologies to the BeeGees, here's another little song for any chicks feeling a little lonely:

Good morning mistress sunshine,
You brighten up my day.
Come sit beside me in your way.
I see you ev'ry morning inside
our worldly haunt.
The music plays so nonchalant

Ah - Lonely days,
lonely nights,
Where would I be without my sisters.

Lonely days,
lonely nights,

Lonely days,
lonely nights,

Back home and feeling better. Today was a day of overindulgence, just like yesterday. Sort of a holiday from all the annoyances and restrictions. No more need for Xanax, at least... Off again tomorrow, just for a day this time, to help out at a friend's cottage - several trees and a lot of her bushes torn up by a microburst two days ago. A near miss, actually, as several people had their trees fall onto their roofs...

Sorry that I've been so lax at commenting others' posts - I've been preoccupied, tired, and was having a lot of access problems while away. I do hope to be back on posting track Monday night after this little jaunt. Meanwhile, thanks for all the kind support and hugs, they did help.

And now to bed.

to Mel, Shad, Happy, Meadow, Madcat, Holly, Ceejay, Painter, Rose, Ruth. And I always forget someone, so to whoever I left out this time.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:58 AM   #123  

Finally! I think I may need more memory... RAM, not in my brain. Pages are taking forever to load up. Bah!
I've read most of the intervening posts, and can only say that we are a stalwart bunch, sticking with our intentions, making progress mostly and back-sliding sometimes.

Carla-- hope you are proud of your aid and comfort, even if it did require some off-plan food and Xanax!

CeeJay-- glad your encounter with the stairs wasn't worse! And do keep us posted on whether the hoodia "works."

Mel- I see you got the Paddy joke, too. I tell all the "iffy" ones to DH. He thinks I'm a riot! Hope that decreasing your work load helps skin, eyes AND outlook. Hugs to you, dearie!!

Happy-- congrats on the painting, non-electrocution by lightening, and work on the wall! Definitely if you can see lightening, it's best to take cover. WAY too unpredictable!

DH got his motor revved up this morning and weed-wacked lots of grass that had threatened to take over my long-neglected flower beds. I believe I'm not missing some lavendar, parsley, lilies and I'm not sure what else, but I think we're going to get mulch to make it look nicer! Serves me right for being too much of a wimp to get out there and pull it by hand. (90+ degrees and I don't get along well, and if you try to pull weeds in the dark, the mosquitoes eat you alive!).

I'm on call again this weekend. Last night got called out-- divorced man about my age suicided in his garage... His family had been trying to reach him since Wednesday... finally a sister went to his house... couldn't see anything and called the police. Pretty grim. It was sad to try to help his 70+ year old parents cope with the news. Fortunately they got the news in bits and pieces... the police confirmed that some one was in the garage and dead... only later did they say that they thought it was suicide. (the police always have to investigate if it was homicide.). I felt so sorry for the mom, who'd had another son killed in a motorcyle accident 25 years ago. NObody shed any tears.
Standing up outside in the humidity for two hours made my feet sore! But I'm still counting my blessings.

Haven't been to the gym since the MD's verified NO cancer return inspite of what felt like newly bumpy incision area from before. Haven't really been on great food plan, either. Strange how I can eat when I'm upset AND when I'm relieved.

Started taking glucosamine on top of everything else to see if I can settle my legs/knees/joints down so I'm not so stiff and sore.

Best to all.
PainterWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #124  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

I AM GLAD TO SEE SOME SMILING FACES AND THAT THE SONGS HAPPY AND I SUNG DIDN'T GO TO WASTE! EVEN CARLA IS SINGING!

LOCAL WEATHER: IT WAS 55* YESTERDAY AND A HIGH IN MY TOWN OF 69* BY 2:00 PM TODAY IS 64*....A POSITIVE HEAT WAVE!!
MY DAUGHTER HAD WINTER-WEIGHT CLOTHES ON TO GO TO THE STORE. PEOPLE MUST THINK WE'RE NUTS!
THE BIRD LOOKS LIKE A FUZZ BALL. I TOLD HIM HE BETTER GET USED TO IT CAUSE FALL IS COMING....HE'S SITTING AND LOOKING INTO THE MIRROR CRYING...GUESS HE UNDERSTOOD!
POOR OLD SOD. IF THE RIGHT BUS AND DRIVER ARE AVAILABLE I WILL GO TO THE MALL. I AM THINKING OF GETTING A QUILT TO PUT AWAY. IT'S A BIG TICKET ITEM FOR ME AND I DON'T ALWAYS HAVE THIS BIG A GIFT CARD. MAYBE SOME TOWELS TOO. HAVE TO SEE. JCPENNEYS IS HAVING A BIG SALE. ALSO RICHIE'S BIRTHDAY IS IN OCTOBER. AND THEY HAVE SOME GREAT SWEATSHIRTS BY DICKIE THAT ARE ON SALE FOR $20 AND EVEN COME WITH A FREE T-SHIRT! BELIEVING THAT ALL MEN ARE DICKIES, I FIND THIS GIFT VERY APPROPRIATE....ESPECIALLY COMING FROM ME!
I AM OFF TO WATCH RICK STEVE'S TRAVEL PROGRAM. I HAVE BECOME RE-ADDICTED TO TRAVEL SHOWS!
HAPPY SUNDAY/MONDAY!

HAPPY~ LOOK WHAT OUR SINGING HAS PRODUCED!! FRIENDS!! AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN COMMENT THAT WE WERE OFF KEY! YES NEXT WEEKEND SHOULD BE GOOD. TIME IS GOOD TOO. I WROTE IT DOWN. WE CAN POKE FUN AT THE WORLD!! I TOO AM WORRIED MEADOW HAS RUN OUT OF TEA! SHALL WE BOTH GO THERE TOGETHER? WE CAN DRINK TO THE CANADIAN FLAG I HAVE HEARD ABOUT LIGHTNING AND THE ELECTRICITY IN THE AREA...THAT'S WHY I DON'T GO ANYWHERE IF THERE IS A STORM NEARBY. DON'T WANT TO BE SITTING ON 24 VOLTS AND SURROUNDED BY MY NOWN STATIC ELECTRICITY AND HAVE MOTHER NATURE ZAPPING MY BUTT!! STAY SAFE AND OUT OF THE WATER!!
HOPE YOU ARE FEELING REFRESHED FOR THE WEEKEND!

CARLA~ DO NOT APOLOGIZE!! YOUR DOING WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO AND REAL LIFE AND "FAMILY" COME FIRST! NOW IF YOU GET ARRESTED FOR MURDER....WE WORLDLY CHICK SISTERS WILL COME TO THE RESCUE!! ESPECIALLY AFTER YOUR SONG!! STAY WELL TOO MY FRIEND AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF ALSO. STRESS CAN BE SUCH A BAD THING....LOOK AT ME!

PAINTER~I THINK A LOT OF US HAVE THE SAME EATING...UPSET AND RELIEVED. STRONG FEELINGS JUST DO IT TO US! I HAVE FOUND I CAN NO LONGER WATCH COOKING SHOWS!! THE ROLLER COASTER RIDE YOU HAVE BEEN ON MUST BE TOUGH. YOUR POOR BODY AND MIND HAVE BEEN THRU SO MUCH BUT LETS GET ON THE BANDWAGON LADY!!! I NEED SOME MOTIVATION!! SENDING MANY HOPE SOME OF THE LAVENDAR SURVIVED! MY FAVORITE SCENT!!!
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #125  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Charlie was fixing a door and he found that he needed a new hinge, so he sent his wife Mary to Home Depot. While at Home Depot, Mary saw a beautiful teapot on a top shelf while she was waiting for John, the manager, to finish waiting on a customer. When John was finished, Mary asked "How much for the teapot? John replied, "That's silver and it costs $300. "My goodness that sure is a lot of money!" Mary exclaimed. Then she proceeded to describe the hinge that Charlie had sent her to buy, and John went to the back room to find it. From the back room John yelled, "Mary, you wanna screw for that hinge?" Mary replied, "No, but I will for the teapot."

This is why you can't send a woman to Home Depot

*** SENT BY A DEAR FRIEND
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #126  
Choose your hard

Good morning chicks,

First a joke:

UNDERSTANDING WOMEN
(A MAN'S PERSPECTIVE)

I know I'm not going to understand women. I'll never understand how you can take boiling hot wax, pour it onto your upper thigh, rip the hair out by the root, yet still be afraid of a spider.

Then a song - an obscure but fun ditty from Janis Joplin:

Oh lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?
My friends all drive porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?

Oh lord, wont you buy me a color tv ?
Dialing for dollars is trying to find me.
I wait for delivery each day until three,
So oh lord, wont you buy me a color tv ?

Oh lord, wont you buy me a night on the town ?
Im counting on you, lord, please dont let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,
Oh lord, wont you buy me a night on the town ?

Everybody!
Oh lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?
My friends all drive porsches, I must make amends,
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So oh lord, wont you buy me a mercedes benz ?

Thats it!

Going to be a bit of a muggy one today. I think the hurricanes southeast are finally pushing the yuckky moisture up this way. And I think I have an abscess in my jaw. I was hoping to call the dentist first thing tomorrow but then I realized I had volunteered for something at 8am tomorrow. So I'll have to go all the way to the office and then beat a path back home if he can squeeze me in tomorrow or at least get over to the pharmacy to pick up some antibiotics. I'm trying to jump on this before it turns into the OMG just shoot me and put me out of this horrid pain stuff as I have had in the past. It started a bit last week with twinges and I wasn't sure what was going on but by Friday evening (why couldn't it be first thing in the MORNING) I knew where this was headed. I did get the upstairs cleaned yesterday and then went into the pool where the clouds promptly gathered overhead and the sky got all gray and dark Didn't get in a decent swim at all. Will try again today after I take care of the groceries and a bit of cleaning downstairs.

Mel - the summer things are going on sale and you can stock up on some great bargains if you have time to look through the stuff. Happy shopping. A new quilt sounds nice. It's funny how a 10 degree drop can make it seem downright chilly outside. I used to get a bit melancholy sp? as Labor Day approached as it always signalled the end of summer up north. We have an extended season to Thanksgiving down here before "autumn" kicks in which make it better but the pool days (which are the real summer to me) end shortly after the beginning of September as the nights get cooler and the shadows from the trees keep the water from warming up enough to be comfortable. Getting hooked on the travel shows isn't such a bad thing. There are so many interesting things to see that even if we had the means to do so, we'd never be able to get it all in. Better to watch travel shows than the reality junk that's on now.

I did start to watch this new show called Fat March. It's on ABC and consists of a bunch of very overweight people who are actually walking 500 miles through 9 states. It's a new twist on the edge to lose weight - they walk and have 2 trainers to help them learn new food habits. It has the usual dynamics of personalities that make for a reality show and they start out with the ability to win 100,000 dollars each if they ALL make it to the end of the march. For every person who quits or drops out for any reason (good or bad) they each lose 10,000 out of their pot. Their first walk was 5 miles and they have increased it to around 11 miles for the last 2 rounds. To keep things varied they sometimes go through woody areas and don't stick to paved roads in the cities. I'm kind of hooked on it. The farthest I think I've ever walked in one shot was 9 miles and I was a whole lot skinnier both times. Once DH and I decided to walk home after dropping our car off for service - we figured it wasn't that far so we walked home. I was about a mile and a half short and I just wanted to lay down and die on the road We didn't plan on walking home and while I didn't have high heels on, I wasn't wearing sneakers or shoes meant for an 8 mile walk. The farthest we ever walked was when we were camping. We started on a normal hike and DH took us through a field of knee high brush. It was May - prime tick season and I was really nervous about walking through these fields. We travelled a bit and then got to some paved road. DH wanted to go one way, I the other. Since I have no sense of direction, I followed him. We walked and walked and walked and walked. No sign of the campground anywhere. I only had one bottle of water that we were sharing and we finished it long ago. All we saw were farm fields everywhere. I was getting sooooo tired and was getting myself all worked up and hyperventilating. DH told me to sit down and he was going to keep walking until he found the campground, then would come back and get me. I was more afraid of being left on the road alone than anything. So I trudged along. After what felt like 12 hours, we finally saw the back of the campgrounds. Hallelujah! We got in the car and retraced our route more or less to figure out how far we'd walked. It was almost 10 miles. The funny thing was, if we had gone to the right when we got out of the field initially (the direction I chose), we would have been just around the corner from the campground. Instead we took DH's route which took us WAY around the other side of the area. In any event, I will never forget how exhausted I was and so to see the people on this show trudge 11 miles, I am in awe of them. I thought too, how neat to be able to try and keep up with their mileage at home but then I realized, It would take me about 3 - 4 hours to walk the distances they are covering each day and I just don't have that kind of time during the work week. (Geez I sure have blathered on there, haven't I?)

Painter - oh my - your line of work certainly is a very emotionally challenging affair, isn't it? How terrible for the mom to lose 2 sons I'm sure the yard will look much better with some mulch in it. It's very hard to keep things going well in this heat. Have you been getting deluged with rain out your way? Heat and humidity - ugh - just draining.

And if you can figure out why sometimes we are too preoccupied with food - pass it along to us. I wish I could be one of those people who simply eats to fuel the body. Maybe I should plug up my nose so I can't taste how good the stuff is

Carla - glad you're back home - rest up today - we'll let you slack off for the day but expect you to be back to snuff tomorrow

Ok, I've been farting around here for a good part of the morning. I did manage to get some laundry though but the morning's just about over and I should have gotten more done. I think I'll swap loads and go for a quick swim. I really need to wash the chlorine out of my hair and I can't see taking a shower now, going shopping then coming back for a swim and taking another shower afterwards. Sunday's always seem to be a day with too much to do, not enough time and the things that do get done take longer than I thought they would thus shorting out some other things I wanted to squeeze in!

Enjoy your Sunday, I have to get up at 5am tomorrow so I probably won't post until the evening.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #127  

HI!!
Home from camping. It was just marvelous. We had 4 families of 4. So much laughter and smiling my tummy and cheeks hurt. The kids and hubby had a really good time too. Lots of long walks and fishing and swims.
It is cool here too today, 14C. It drizzled all morning and then rained hard around 2pm. I have just had a lovely hot bath followed by a lovely hot coffee. Bits of things to do tonight. I need to clear out the "random" room to make room for the LR furniture. Painter comes tomorrow at 9:30. Making chicken and rice for supper in a bit too. DH is sleeping. Kids are resting.
I have promised myself that I will do 30 min of gardening every single day starting tomorrow.
Tomorrow I want to clean the basement and the kids rooms thoroughly.

HUGS!!!!!!
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #128  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
You may have noticed that I didn't 'pop' in over the weekend. Well that's because some dickhead who was supposed to have 'fixed' my access card to give me after hours access, did not do as supposed. When I walked down past the office on my way to the Rottnest ferry terminal, I tried it out. Lucky I did because I would have been a little 'sour' had I come into town specially to go to work.
So no work this weekend. I will need to get the card looked at today. I may even make a small comment on the inconvenience of having Idiots for security men.
Rottnest (so named by the Dutch explorers because they thought Quokka were rats - rott is rat in Dutch, I guess nest is nest) is a big sand dune off the coast of WA. It takes around 40 minutes to get from Fremantle by ferry. The seas were wonderfully rough on the way out which had many of the good folk reaching for the Sick Bag. It rolled and it pitched, such fun. Since I never have a problem with that malady, I was enjoying myself. The island is reasonably flat and I walked the top end of it - around 10 or 11km. It didn't take too long, but then a K is shorter than a mile. Next time I go, I will hire a bike and ride to the other end. It's not a bad place. Not as scenic as Big Sur and certainly not as many trees, but it has some interesting features and it would be a wonderful place to watch the stars as street lights are a bit of a rarity. Saturday was a beautiful day. Not too hot and not too windy. Sunday on the other hand was sh*tty. Beautiful sunshine early on, rain and wind by 10am. It's supposed to stay this way for the rest of the week. How nice!!!

Mel - I hear you singing. I used to love that song of Brenda Lee's. (Janice Joplin too and the Bee Gees, we are going back in time. ) Go spend your voucher and enjoy doing it. There may not be many more opportunities like this.

Happy - I am trying to work out where you are putting this rock wall. I've heard about the Fat March. It's probably better and safer for them than some of the exercises that places like biggest loser put them through and if it teaches them not to deep fry everything, then I am all for it. Still haven't gotten over the deep fried beans yet.

Holly - glad to hear that you have had a wonderful family time camping and doing all the friends things. Now it is time to get into the painting again huh! Have fun.

Carla, nice to see you back and back to normal. The tree lopping and plant pulling should work off some of the excess.

And with that, I'm off to forward Mel's Irish joke to an Irish friend - I'll save the other one for another time.

See ya
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I've been watching the Fat March program on t.v. also when I have the time. Does any one want to pledge 500 miles for the month of September?

I've had a good week end to bad it has to come to an end. Work tomorrow.

So far I've been having good results with the brand of Hoodia that I've been taking. I've been on plan with food for the past 3 days. Exercised on Thursday, Friday and Saturday but so far today I haven't but I'm planning on it later. Tomorrow after work I'm planning a trip to the gym.

Hello to all the worldly chicks.

Mel--I've been watching some of the travel shows. Have they showed the one to Alaska yet?

I'll comment more tomorrow.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy--I've decided that I'm not doing anything except what the doctor say for me to do concerning my thyroid. And he's okayed the hoodia. Thanks for being concerned.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:38 PM   #131  
Radiate self!

Default Sunday evening

Thank you for your concern I managed to get to the store on Wednesday and have had tea every evening since Ah! bliss My sisters surprised me this weekend with a visit. They phoned and asked what I was doing. Then if I was going to put the kettle on. Then said look out the window, we are across the street! They are so great My latest dream has been of Shad getting up at 4:30 to exercise May that one day be me

I don't watch those shows where they torture people in order to lose weight. Why aren't they ever pleasant and have lovely strolls around gardens?

Thanks for the music, Mel, Happy, Carla..all good tunes, but I'm opting for a current one.

A bit of Rob Thomas
Little wonders

let it go,
let it roll right off your shoulder
don’t you know
the hardest part is over
let it in,
let your clarity define you
in the end
we will only just remember how it feels

our lives are made
in these small hours
these little wonders,
these twists & turns of fate
time falls away,
in these small hours,
these small hours still remain

let it slide,
let your troubles fall behind you
let it shine
until you feel it all around you
and i don’t mind
if it’s me you need to turn to
we’ll get by,
it’s the heart that really matters in the end

our lives are made
in these small hours
these little wonders,
time falls away,
but these small hours,
these small hours still remain

all of my regret
will wash away some how
but i can not forget
the way i feel right now

in these small hours
these little wonders
time falls away but these small hours
with these small hours, still remain,
they still remain
these little wonders
time falls away
but these small hours
these little wonders still remain

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bcpid687239750
Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 AM   #132  
Choose your hard

Meadow,

I like the lyrics to that song. Will have to look it up on Napster so I can hear the melody too. Good choice! I'm glad you have your tea and all is right with the world.

I did have expect Holly to contribute a song - you seem like the type to sing all the time. We'll let you slide this time because camping is tiring

Shad - as for the rock wall - if you're facing the front of the house looking at it from the street, there are some trees and shrubs to the right (next to the wooden fence that has the gate you can walk through into the yard). We are putting the rock wall starting from the wooden fence following a line bearing left towards the front door around the large maple tree, past the hosta, past the Japanese Maple and probably around the snapdragons and those other silver flower things we had in the front of the house. Once we get it done, will have to see if it look unbalanced that there is not a rock wall on the left side. DH is itching to rip out the thick shrubs on the left because they really are too dense and overgrown and are hiding the lovely yellow daylillies behind them. He chopped the spirea too much last fall and it really grew back horrid this year. I let him tear it out on one side, I think he's hoping to cut out the rest this fall. I have to stop him from pillaging too much

Now you can tell all your friends that you've been in Elvis' house. It's always more fun to see something where you've been. I was watching Fat March and one of their weigh ins was at Gillette Castle in Conneticutt and I said - hey we've BEEN there! Bet someone scarfed up those snazzy fireplace grates and that disembodied Elvis "bust" ornament for 75 bucks. Should have snatched it while you could lady. What fun that would have been lugging that through customs

Anyway I was supposed to be in bed over an hour ago but it's humid out and my pants don't want to dry in the dryer. Don't want to leave them overnight as they will be all wrinkly and I hate ironing. So damp or not, I'm going to get them and put them on hangers and get to bed.

I'll tell you how the sunrise is tomorrow morning. Night all...
Old 08-20-2007, 01:24 AM   #133  

It's good to read that things are going well. Best wishes to all at the beginning of a new week. Turning over a new leaf, even if it feels like LOTS of work!
Hmm, maybe DH will bring home mulch, and I can turn THAT over.
PainterWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:42 AM   #134  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Ha, I was watching that interview and it was in the jungle room - the one up the furry stairs and with the orange walls and green carpet. I had been telling a friend about the 'decorating' last time I visited her and she rang me to say that she had seen the interview. We had a bit of a laugh together. I'm waiting for the room with the pool table to be shown. You know the one with the fabric walls and tented ceiling. The fabric has every colour except one in the print, and the lampshade accounts for the missing colour and a few others as well. My friend was horribly disappointed that she didn't get to see that room on tv. I tell her not to worry as I have a not really great photo of it on my computer.
Yes I should have bought the gates firescreen and the bust (specially the one that was on the back of the truck last week ) Don't really know how I live with some of my decisions. I'm sure I could have found someone who has a fireplace which needs a screen!!! Now buzz off to bed and stop interupting my train of thought - the joys of adding material components to a work order through a bom. Mind you, this morning the thought of a bomb gave me great pleasure. I have a special place to implant one. Imbecile. (no no not the fat chicks )
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #135  
Choose your hard

Am I twisted or what? Sitting here in a fog going bom ohhh Bill Of Materials - thanks for waking my brain up.

I just realized the irony of it - you live in the tropics - WHY would anyone need a fireplace down there? Ok so then having fireplace grates that look like the gates to the Graceland mansion would be a treat reserved only for us North American chicks.

That pool room is hideous. Can you imagine all the dust in the folds of the fabric in there?

Off to the showers for me, should have been dressed already. Have a good one chicks.

Wake up Mel - *nudge, *nudge