Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: If you could magically change ONE body part, which would it be?
Feet 0 0%
Lower leg (calves/knees) 1 3.33%
Thighs 6 20.00%
Rear end 1 3.33%
Hips 0 0%
Stomach 16 53.33%
Breasts 4 13.33%
Back area (love handles) 0 0%
Arms 1 3.33%
Neck 0 0%
Face (nose/eyes/ears/mouth) 1 3.33%
Other (care to explain?) 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 10:23 AM   #31  
Little Engine That Could

Sorry I missed yesterday, y'all. I had to take my car in to get checked out because of some problems. It ended up having some major leaks in some seals, problems with the cylinders that make the clutch work, etc. etc. In all, it will be about $1700. Yikes. It's in the shop today, and I am stuck at home s/o a car. It's a ton of money, but a lot less than a new car would cost.

I have been doing OK with the food. A little slip up on Sunday night when we went to a small group get-together. Some of the women who are on Weight Watchers feel compelled to bring no-nos even though they are not supposed to eat them. There was chicken pot pie (from Costco), strawberry rhubarb pie (also from costco), chocolate cake, devilled eggs, fried chicken, baked beans, marinated tomatoes and cucumbers, some fresh watermelon and cantelope, and my contribution, stewed beef with its juices served in a big platter of caramelized vidalia onions.

My knee has been acting up and it reminds me of the pain I had years ago when I finally had to have arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn cartilege. So I have not been walking and am hoping that it is just "nothing" and will go away if I give it some rest.

Debbie--Hope you are feeling better.

Talitha--Another way to think about the gym thing is to realize that strong muscles promote good health. So many women go to the gym to become a "babe." They go in their spiffy little leotard and want to get thinner that they already are. My friend calls them "skinny bit*hes." I'm certainly not one of them--far from it. But I do know that if I at least keep my muscles strong, I will help my bones, remain more flexible, be able to do more, etc. So, maybe you could accomplish the same thing at home by doing a little bit of resistance training. Just for your better health. You might find some good resources on-line. I certainly back your decision to stay away from the gym if it will cause you to "stumble" spiritually and mentally.

I'm now all enrolled in a French class starting the end of Aug. at U.C.F. So I'm reviewing my last years book so I can be up to par when the class begins.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:53 AM   #32  
Wannabe skinny babe

Default Nearly there!

Bleu Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms

Ingredients
1 pound medium fresh mushrooms (About 29 mushrooms)
1/4 cup sliced green onions
2 Tbsp butter
1 pkg Crumbled Bleu Cheese 4oz
1 pkg Cream Cheese

Preparation
REMOVE stems from mushrooms, chop stems. Cook and stir stems and onions in butter in a small skillet on medium heat until tender.

ADD bleu cheese and cream cheese and mix well. Spoon evenly into mushrooms caps, place on rack of broiler pan.

Broil 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, Serve hot.

Prep time 30 minutes
Total time 33 minutes
Serves: Makes about 2 dozen

Hi everyone (can't say Hi Ladies anymore, now that Daramus is back! )

My appt. isn't until 3:30 CST today, so I still have 6 hours to wait. What was I thinking to make the appt. in the afternoon??? Thank you to everyone for the kind thoughts and prayers. I am nervous, anxious, but trying to remain calm.

We’re supposed to go to a baseball game tonight, if it doesn’t rain. It should be fun, and I’m going to eat beforehand so I don’t overdo it with bleacher snacks. I figure I’ll probably have something, but damage control is a good thing, right?

Bloviator – welcome! I like the WATP tapes, too. They’re a lot of fun!

Adrienne – Two little heartbeats! Wow! That’s what my DH is hoping for, he wants twins in the worst way. I told him HE wasn’t the one that had to carry them. I’ll be so thrilled to have a good, strong little heartbeat.

Crystle – Happy Birthday to your DD, and that’s great news about your DM. The waiting 15 helps me too, along with drinking some water in case I’m thirsty instead of hungry/munchy.

Laurie – Good luck staying OP! Baby steps.

Tonya – that salad bar sounds good. Now I’m craving spinach. Oh, and those sweet potato chips sound heavenly. Gee, I need to stop reading when people post food items!!!

Pancho – how lucky that you have a Trader Joes near you! I really wish we had one here in MN!

Fruit – welcome back! I’m just over 8 weeks along, so still very early. Thanks for the offer of help if I have questions. It’s very much appreciated! The float theme sounds neat. Do you have a picture?

Talitha – Thank you for sharing your story. You have come a long way.

Daramus – welcome back! Congrats on the marriage and the little one on the way!

Jack-K – Whoohoo for the good eating yesterday! I know how hard it is to get back on track. One day at a time!

Debbie – I hope your DM gets sprung today. Being in the hospital is no fun. I’m sorry you’re still feeling sick, especially with the weather you have down there. Ugh! I can only imagine how high your grass is after several weeks. DH has to mow ours at least twice a week or it’s a jungle! Can you rent a high-powered mower for a day to get it trimmed down? Oh, and the fruit – that sounds VERY strange. I’ve never heard of it!

Gator – The beef and onions sound wonderful. Is that a recipe from here?

ttfn,

Jenn
Old 06-24-2003, 11:02 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

ladyporsche

When we go out and I want a drink I have either a diet 7-up or diet ginger-ale with Segrums 7 or a vodka Madras
Ingredients

1 1/4 oz vodka
3/4 oz cranberry juice
3/4 oz orange juice
slice of lime
the fact that you have so little to lose makes it a lot slower for you to lose it. 2 pounds is great!

wanttheoldme
I think you did great! Of all the junk you could have eaten a couple of breaded chicken nuggets is not terrible.

bloviater
Welcome to SB! I think your goal is pretty fair. I lost 32 ponds since last July but only started excising 3 months ago so the Walk away the pounds is really going to help you a lot.

amhlawyer
That's what keeps me from falling off the SB wagon that awful sick feeling when I eat bad foods.

Talitha
It sounds like you have a great handle on yourself. From what you said going to the gym would not be in your best interests.

Daramus
Welcome back!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:36 AM   #34  
Goddess

Thumbs down Good Tuesday Morning!

Morning all!

I need to ask if anyone is getting email solicitations about weight loss products? I'm getting them all the time (they are getting through my spam blocker). I'm wondering if they are coming from an email list generated off this board? I'm very unhappy dealing with this spam, especially as they have no opt-out policy. Deb--do you know anything about this?

Yesterday was good eating wise. So far so good this morning. I have some bread baking and will have a tuna fish sandwich on fresh bread for lunch. I've been eating a lot of fresh fruit--cannot wait for the local peaches to come in!

Cherylco--that vodke madras sounds yummy! I drink a vodka and diet tonic (if available), but most bars don't carry diet tonic water so I stick with red wine when out.

JenninMN--I'll be thinking about you this afternoon! I hope everything goes well for you and you will have good news to report!

Gator--of all the no-nos from your gathering, the one that would be hardest for me to resist would be the fresh watermelon. I have to confess that I can't let the summer go by without a taste of watermelon every now and then.

Wanttheoldme--Sounds like you are listening carefully to your Dr. I hope he releases you this week and you can start trying again!

Missy--Good to see you back! I'm sorry you are having such a rough time with the pregnancies--hopefully this new Dr. will help you get to the bottom of things. I can only imagine hoe frustrating and heartbreaking this has been for you. I know you will have fun with the LSU float--although they are the wrong tigers!

Deb--Yeah the no appetite part was the only thing I liked too! Today is the first day my nose hasn't been running--so it's been two full weeks. I know you didn't want to hear that, but there you are. Those miracle fruit sound wierd. I wonder what the GI is on them? I actually love to eat lemons (I don't do it because they are do bad for your teeth). When I was little and had a cold my mom would dip lemon slices in sugar and give it to me to cut the phlem in my throat. Whenever I have a cold I want my lemon slices (and yeah--I did have a couple when my cold was at its worst).

Jackie--Good for you getting that walk in--don't worry the effort WILL show!

Darmius--Nice to see you back! You've been busy while you were away! It's good that you and the new Mrs. are getting ready to adopt a healthy lifestyle for your new little one! Do you know whether it is a boy or a girl?

Monet--What a nasty boss!!!!! Tell her she better treat you nice, or the eye-talian lady will have to pay her a visit--if you know what I mean. I'm all for more days off! I'm baking bread now and it looks like I have enough flour for about two loaves, which will get me through till I leave. So when I return, I'll definately need a trip for flour. I could stop by on the way home, if I can let Belle stay at your house while we shop. She has a carrier, but there is no way she can stay in the car for any length of time. When I travel with her I only make quick gas/bathroom stops so she is not int he car for more than 5 minutes without the air on.

Talitha--I'm sorry you've had such a rough time with the weight. Boys can be positively evil to teenage girls, though I think the girls are worse with each other. But, as you know with your hubby, many men love their wives for who they are--and it is who they are that makes them beautiful at any weight. It sounds like you have a gem. Now if you can just love yourself for who you are!

Pancho--It's a great feeling when you get those compliments on your weight loss!

Heart--I think you need to skip weekends! Weekends seem to be the worst time for you--what is different about Saturday and Sunday for you?

Country--Glad to hear that your DM is home!

Time to get to work.

Have a great OP day everyone!

Susan
Old 06-24-2003, 12:16 PM   #35  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

Just forced myself to eat something. Only had some raspberries this morning, and though I'm not hungry, I made myself eat a potpie.

After I dropped LAUREN off at theatre camp I ran in and out of stores returning items that needed to be returned with a side trip to the PO. I have a ton of rebates that have to go out today.

I know what I forgot to mention, not that I'm proud ofit! When I was coming out from seeing my DM at the hospital, pulling out of the spot, there was one of those heavy duty poles at waist level that I just didn't see, was in my blind spot and boom, you got it, hit it. Not only did I dent/scratch my car up in the rear real nice, but my rear tail light is now busted! Gosh, you think they'd at least put a rubber bumper around something like that!!! Now I have to find a replacement for the light. I think when I wash the car the dent won't looks AS bad as it does now, that my car is filthy (it's white).

HELP! Speaking of driving...my kids are wanting to get their restricted! I'm not so worried about LAUREN driving, but MICHAEL is another story!!!! His brains are busy elsewhere and I'm afraid to even teach him. They have an appt next week to take their tests On the good side, MICHAEL won't get his regular DL until right before he leaves for college and he won't be driving there, so I really won't have to worry about that all that much.

FRUIT, you are too funny! I'm waiting for the lunch time report!!!!

OLDME, they definitely don't offer anything at our OUTBACK other than the usual looking sweet potato, which is fine with me anyhow, as I only eat a little if I eat it at all. When I realized that approx 3oz is a serving counted as a starchy carb I decided it just wasn't worth it. Did you see OPRAH yesterday? She had a guy on who made a sweet potato brulee that she was dying over. I'm going to see if I can find the recipe on her website and see if it can be modified. Try unusual veggies if you can find them in your area. I love trying new fruits and veggies whenever I can - it's the meats and mystery items I won't go near!!

GATOR, I feel for you with the car, besides what I posted above, I just had to have new tie rods AND my brake seal was leaking and I had no brakes about a week ago-that was $199 just then, month before, new brakes! It's always something. I have to get a major tune-up before I take the kids to go on this college hoping joy ride!

JENN, those sound "to die for!!!" Where did that recipe come from? Please make sure you post it on the recipe board when you get a chance so we can keep it forever! Yes, what WERE you thinking about making a afternoon appt? Live and learn!! We'll be waiting to hear from ya!

FILLISE, hmmmm, I do get them but not sure where they come from, but I always seem to get one here and there, so really, I'm not sure. Maybe we should both save a few over the next few days and see if we both are getting the same stuff? I never open them, but we can jot down the subject matter, or the main part of the e-mail name. LMK. The GI of the fruit, no ideas but honestly, if I had to scrape off what was on a pit, it would be probably 1/8 of a teaspoon, if that! It's tiny!!!! Have you ever thought about candying a lemon with agave??????

Well, I'm outta here. Going to go lounge on the couch with my snot rag at hand Have a few movies so I think I'll stick one of them on and watch it.

REMEMBER, CHAT TONIGHT AT 9:15PM EST!!!

Will check in later!

Toodles

Deb
Old 06-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Have a minute before I go to lunch and thought I would check in.

I have the best salad dressing that I found in Cooking Light. I adapted it to be legal: Something different.

3 T lite mayo
3 T splenda
2 T low fat milk
1 T white wine vinegar
1 T poppy seeds.

Blend with whisk.

Pour over lettuce. The salad called for greens, purple onions, almonds, and strawberries. Of course you can adapt how you want. I love the strawberries in it though.

Deb, first of all, you shouldn't be cutting grass if you are sick. Second, isn't Michael old enough to cut grass? That's why we have these kids. Make them work. Are you taking anything? Try some nyquil so you can get some rest. Hope your Dm gets home soon. This has lingered quite a long time. That was bizzare about that obit. Funny how fate works. Where can you get this miracle fruit? Sounds strange. Let the kids get their permits. After the initial worrying and stress of teaching them, it will be worth it. Maybe look into driver's ed for them. Ouch! those poles are always where they shouldn't be. I alsmot hit one the other day too. I even had made a mental note (I do mean mental) when I went in. Forgot all about it when I backed out. Stopped just in the nick of time.

Fruit, Yeah for breakfast. Hope lunch was just a good.

Tonya, what a touching story. God works in mysterious ways.

Gator, that beef and onins sounds delish. I just love carmelized onions. Give that knee some rest. Do you have any anti-inflamatories to take? Man that's a lot of car repairs. They seem to add up quickly.

Jenn, good luck today. Thanks for the recipe. I am sending it to DD as she loves stuffed mushrooms. Get some peanuts in the shell at the ballgame. At least you will have to work to get them and not to bad for you.

Cherylco, I love Madras'. Except after too many all that juice gets to me. Now I'm on a kick of diet lemonade and vodka. Yummy. Gonna do without this week though.

Susan, yes I am getting thos weight loss pop-ups too. Very frustrating. Your bread smells devine. I tried making my own bread and it was just to dense. Maybe I should try some of Monet's flour if I can find it.

Oh Deb, I wanted a snack today (legal) so I waited 15 minutes, then 15 more. Started getting shakey so I had some soy nuts. Later wanted something else. Made myself wait 30 minutes. Still wanted it so I ate a piece of cheese. I got in 100 oz of water yesterday and 34 so far today.

Later,

Jackie
Old 06-24-2003, 02:20 PM   #37  
Little Engine That Could

Beef and Onions:
3 LARGE vidalia or other sweet onion, peeled and sliced thin
1 beef rump roast (mine was almost 3 lbs.)
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into chunks
If desired, 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 3/4" slices
about 1 qt. non-fat beef broth (I used Swansons)

Brown the beef in a little olive oil in a pressure cooker (lid off). When brown all over, add the yellow onion and carrot and beef broth to almost cover the meat. Put the lid on the pressure cooker, add the weight and cook on high until the weight begins to jiggle. Turn down the heat a little so that the weight has a rhythmic, medium jiggle (not frantic) and cook for 50 minutes. Take off heat and leave lid on until all the pressure has left the pot.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté the onions over medium low heat, turning often, for about 35 minutes, until the onions have slowly turned a light golden brown and are very tender. Do not brown quickly. Salt to taste.

Salt the beef "stew" to taste and let the meat "rest" a bit. Then slice the beef or shred it, and add it, any of the carrot and yellow onion and as much of the liquid as you want to the sautéed onions. You can add additional water if you want, for more "gravy." Adjust the seasonings. Enjoy!

This is very good. My husband loved it and it is great left over. I just made up the recipe because I love onions.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:40 PM   #38  

Does anyone use Splenda? I just discovered it for my strawberries, which I hardly use any, but I read something on the internet, I know you cannot always believe what you read. Just wondering. The internet said it causes:

Quote:
Extension of the pregnancy period
Aborted pregnancy
Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights
I do not intend to use alot, ( I am talking about a 1/2 a packet here) but it does help with my fruit I need to eat. Just wondering!
Old 06-24-2003, 02:57 PM   #39  

One More thing, Who makes Sugar Free Peanut butter? Also, what is a good kind of legal chocolate to use. I have been checking out those cheesecake recipes on the board. They look good. Where do I look on the chocolate to know if its legal or not?
Old 06-24-2003, 04:44 PM   #40  

Question Am I the only one with no day time life?

Anyway, I am about to leave work in exactly 50 minutes and I am bored. I guess I shall submit by food log for the day.

AM: 2 eggs, 1 slice SF toast and 2% milk
Lunch: Salad, lettuce all kinds, purple cabbage, broccoli, cheese, chicken, egg, bit of bacon and sunflower seeds and blue cheese
dressing.
Snack: 1 cup of sliced strawberries with 1/2 packet of splenda
Dinner: Planned either tuna fish salad and 3 tristcuits or skinless chicken and beans, depending on how I feel after youth service tonight. I will try to get my exercise when I get home. Also depends on what time I get out!
and water, water, water

I have had about 60 oz so far...

Okay gals, I out!
Old 06-24-2003, 04:51 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Heading home for the day.

Water so far is 68 oz.
Dinner is burgers, beans, slaw, peaches & cottage cheese.

Will walk as soon as I get home.

Good luck to everyone on WIW. I'm not looking forward to it.

Tonya, I use splenda. Not a lot, just here and there. Can't comment on the internet findings, but I would thinkit would take a heck of a lot over long periods of time. I beleive all natural pb is sugar free. SMuckers makes one that you can get at regular stores and health food stores carry just plain pb. Never bought the legal chocolate. If I wanted choc, I bought the Russell Stovers sf candy.

Hope to be at chat if computer is working. DD called and said it won't come on.

Jackie
Old 06-24-2003, 05:26 PM   #42  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

SUSAN,

I get those too, but they don't bother me as much as someone
sending me over and over again an offer to make my penis and balls bigger!

BOB
Old 06-24-2003, 05:47 PM   #43  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

HEY ALL,

Sorry I haven't been on here much, a friend of mine went home from work on Thursday and found her husband dead in the bathroom floor....56 yrs old! SUCH A WASTE!!! I've been busy with the situation and my mind has hardly been on work let alone the board. It's been such a sad occurence...they were so close. Except for his going to Vietnam, they have not been apart for 35 yrs! Right now she's got her family with her, but they will have to go home at some point, and I'm really going to worry about her being by herself. Not that I think she would do something to herself, but her state of mind is beyond anything close to normal.
SO...please forgive me for being absent...
BOB
Old 06-24-2003, 05:52 PM   #44  
Goddess

Thumbs down Tuesday Afternoon

After a morning of bookkeeping, I went shopping this afternoon for my youngest niece's birthday present. Found her a cute tropical shirt and skort outfit. Also a beanie baby with her birth date (there has never been one on her birthdate until now--a fact which she has taken personally!)

Now I'm back home. I have a dinner meeting tonight. It's at a Catfish restaurant, so it shouldn't be too bad.

BOB and Deb--I'm on an anti-spam crusade. I will not rest until I rid my mailbox of ALL spam!!!! I try to click on links every now and then to help support the site, but I draw the line at (1) ads that block what I'm trying to read, and (2) spam in my personal mailbox. The Earthlink spamblocker does pretty well for most stuff. Only once in a blue moom does some of the porn stuff kick in, but these weight loss ads are in my mailbox almost every day. They are forwarding to a specific list,not just generatine possible userids at earthlink or aol. So they have to be getting their list from somewhere. I would pay a small subscription fee in order not to have my information sold. If it is simply being hijacked from the website, then we need better security.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:53 PM   #45  
Goddess

oops--hit send before I meant too!

All the above is just to say that I love this site--so much that I would pay to keep it going. I know that may not be an option for everyone, but maybe there is a way to opt-out of solicitations!

Susan
Closed Thread