Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:08 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good morning ladies.

Boy I have been tired all week. By 9:30 I am asleep on the couch. I was having a tough time doing upper body wts last night. I could hardly make it through 2 sets of each exercise. I don't have much upper body strength anyway, but it was tough going. We may skip tonight. DD is going to a ballgame and wants to eat before she goes and DH's shoulder is bothering him so he has only been riding the bike. I need to get out and get my Valentine's and pickup something my DD mentioned while she is not around. The other 2 will likely get money. My SIL would rather have that anyway and with my DD losing wt, she will not want anything to wear.

We missed the snow again. Only got about 1/2" That is fine with me. There is a warming front coming so that is good.

Got to get busy. Have a great day.

Melf, maybe your newly discovered engery is from eating the right things. It's amazing how the bad stuff can bring us down. Now take that energy and do some type of exercise and I bet you have even more tomorrow! I bet you are feeling good about yourself to.

Rosalie, enjoy your GK, it is nice that they can come stay with you. I sure can't wait to have some. I will want to babysit all the time. Congrats on your loss.

Country, I am so excited that you and your friend are wakling again. Maybe this will be the motivation you have been looking for. I could read the excitement in your post. Best wishes to your FIL, I remember when he was so ill. One day cancer free is a blessing. I pray for his continued remission.

Bob, We only got less than 1/2" I hear Lexington was getting it more than we were. Once again, we missed most of it. I think it is due to the valley we sit in and it all goes over us. Not complaining though. It is supposed to warm up next week. Spring is not far off!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #62  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

MORNING MY GANG OF BUDDYS!!!

I've not been to sleep AGAIN!!! I got a lot of rest yesterday in between nursing Kate. The DOC called in something for her cough as she's been up the last three nights hacking away. She had a #2 accident last night on her
way to bed and by the time I got to her....well...let's put it this way...SHOOEEE!!! I helped her get cleaned up and we doctored her eye, she took all her medicine and she proceeded to settle in. At 2 a.m. she too was still awake from all the rest she got too. Now I went to bed, but I was wide awake and finally at 6:30 a.m. got up to fix coffee, discovered I was out and ran down to starbucks to pick up a bag.
JACKIE...glad y'all were spared. The almanac says FRIDAY is the day for the BIG ONE...we'll see how right it is.
I'm going to lay down and if nothing else, rest. I think I'm going to make a pot of beef stew later in the day....that's sounding really good to me. We've not been eating much and I should take advantage and jump on the scale to see if there is any benefit to being sick...I'm loosing my voice which is part of this dang illness. Kate lost hers yesterday and she's just squeaking at this point.
I know this is not comparision to what y'all are having, but it was 44 degrees this morning with a windshield of 38 degrees...now that's cold for down this way. Especially with the wind blowing like it has been. It's supposed to get to the lower 70's today so we'll see. It's already 55 degrees, but i've got the heat on just to the point of knocking the chill off the house.
I'll be back a little later....everyone hang loose!!

BOB
Old 02-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #63  
sef

Hi everyone

Is the board right for everyone else? It says I posted today at 11 something. Heck it's only 9:25 cst. Oh well.

I was so busy yesterday. Went to the nursing home in the morning. Came home and made SF chocolate and buterscotch pudding parfaits w/ a dollop of SF cool whip, made nice trays of SF cookies and regular cookies for the Bible study group. Was up and down the stairs a dozen times. Plus on my feet most of the day. By supper time I was pooped. Too tired to eat until after 7.

Today I hurt so much, hurts to click the mouse!!! Can't blame the weather, it's beautiful. Just the nature of the beast. Doing some wash.....more stair work. Supposed to be good exercise right. I don't have to invest in stairmaster.

Just checking in so you know I am alive and well.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #64  

I just got in from the doctor's. My A1c was really good again, so I was happy. My thyroid was really bad...this was a test done back in December when I was whining about it. So, I was right and the doctor agreed with me. They did another test today to see where it is, and will call me when the results are in. If this is the right dose I am on now, then all is cool, but I bet he increases it some. My weight did not look good to me, but then, with thyroid issues, I did not expect it to. PLUS, I have always gone in the morning before, and this was a mid afternoon appointment...and I wore jeans instead of short capris. At least the doctor was understanding of that...I hate when they get all preachy at you and you ARE trying!

I need to go figure out what I am fixing for dinner.... Later!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #65  

Solly, hope you find your energy back. Listen to your body & give it the extra rest it needs. Hope you're feeling better soon. Yes I definitely am feeling better about my self.

BOB, sorry to hear you & Kate are still under the weather. We having a heat wave here. It got up to 74 around 12:30 pm! lol But I think we're in for another change in the weather.

SEF, I was hurting so bad in my hip last night that I decided my cortisone shot wasn't working anymore but I really think it's because of the weather change coming. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #66  

Monet, great on the BS level. Keep up the good work! Hope he will get those Thyroid hormone levels adjusted soon as well so that you'll start feeling better.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #67  

Hi Everyone

This is the first chance that I have had to-day to get on here. I got up on time to get the kids off to school and then headed for the mall and did my walk before the stores opened. Then later in the morning I had a dental appointment, then lunch and a few chores then it was time to pick up the kids again. We have a rec centre here so after dinner I took my gs there and we had a game of table tennis. After that we played air hockey. That was rather fun and it was quite a workout chasing that puck around the table.. They will be spending one more night here after tonight and Mom and Dad will be picking them up from school on Friday.

Sef - If your posts are showing the wrong time maybe you need to go to User CP and click on options then you can choose the time zone you want. Hope you are feeling better this evening. I know those stairs can really drain the energy.

Monet - Thats great that your BS levels are good. Hope you can get the thyroid meds sorted out too.

BOB - Sorry to hear that Kate is still not well. Hope she is better soon and you are able to get a good nights sleep.

Solly - Take care and don't overdo it with the exercise/weights. Sometimes the body needs time to recuperate.

Countrymom -
It's always good to have a walking partner. The lentil and spinach soup sounds good.

Melf - Hope you are feeling better.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:29 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 146/145/130

Height: 5'9"

Default how should i get started

Hey,
I've been trying for a while to find a diet that would suit me and I think this SB is it... I have THE WORST sweet tooth, so I'm thinking the first little while will be difficult. Are there any suggestions as to how I can curb the cravings I get when walking into the kitchen? I live with 5 others (I'm in university) so sugar will be around. I can never seem to just walk past without a taste... any suggestions??
Thanks very much!
Old 02-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good morning ladies,

It is getting closer to Friday,

Did not go to the gym last night, DH was tired and I decided I needed to rest a night. Ran some errands. Had an appt with my RA doc this morning. All is well, come back in 6 months. One good thing was my wt was at 171. Getting closer to the 160's. It is taking forever. My fingers are starting to curve in. It is really bothering me. (b/c I am so vain). He said it wasn't due to RA. So what is cauing it, old age? Anyone else have that problem?

Bob, I hope you feel better soon and Kate too. You are going to have to get in a routine with your sleeping or you will always be messed up. Hope today is better for you.

Sef, those stairs can be a killer. I hardly go upstairs any mre. Our bedroom in on the first level and my DD is upstairs. She has to clean it and I hardly bother going up there. At leat you got some exercise that way.

Monet, hope they get your thyroid straightened out. When will they listen to you?I hate when a dr preaches to you about your wt. Especially when theya re skinny.

Melf, hope your hip is feeling better today.

Rosalie, sounds like you are having a great time with your GC. I don't know if I have the coordination to play ping pong any more. Good for you.

Bean28, Welcome to our group. First of all SB will rid you of your sweet cravings but you have to do your part. At first it will be hard and you may have some withdrawl headaches, but they only last about 3 days. Get some fruits and veggies in and when you are tempted to take a bite of the sweets, get a pc of fruit. It will be hard but you can do it. Explain to your roommates what you are doing and ask them to help you. Posting on t his board is also a big help. Lots of good advice and friendship here. Most of all do this and do it without cheating. I went almost 1 year w/o cheating and no temptations, but as soon as I did the first cheat, it became easier and easier to cheat. Then you are just regaining and losing the same pounds. Hope you join us and good luck. Remember, you can do this.

I can hardly keep my eyes open so I better get up and move around. Going to get some real coffee this time maybe it will wake me up. Have a great day.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #70  

Solly - I've been having trouble too with my fingers. I have what is called trigger finger. It started on my left hand a couple of years ago. The middle finger often contracts (most often during the night) and locks into place then I have to ease it open again. The main problem with it now is that I don't have too much strength in it and have touble bending it and using it for opening jars etc. I believe the only treatment for this is surgery which I chose not to have. But four or five weeks ago the middle finger of the left hand started acting the same way. I have an appointment with my doctor next week to see what can be done. Living with one was not too bad but I don't fancy having both hands messed up. Another condition that causes contraction of the fingers is called DUPUYTREN'S CONTRACTURE. Here's a couple of websites that you might like to check out which explains both these conditions.

Dupruytren's Contracturehttp://eatonhand.com/hw/hw009.htm

Trigger Fingerhttp://eatonhand.com/hw/hw022.htm

Bean28 - Welcome.. Will talk to you later.

Gotta run as the washing machine has stopped and have to go throw things in the dryer. Will try to be back later.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #71  
sef

Hi everyone,
Still hanging in. Nit hurting as much today but still very painful. Just my ornreyness coming out.

Good news, went to eye doctor after my nursing home bit; With no glasses and my right eye covered I( could read the almost whole darn chart! The last two lines were a little fuzzy, he tolod me to stop as he didn't want me to strain. Doctor reduced medication for three weeks (threw away one) and doesn't want to see me for six months. Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read something for a while and then it seems like the eye gets tired and I lose it. Doctor says that's normal, the eye is still in the healing process. Si I'm a happy camper.

Only home for a short while and then off to cut a haicut.

MONET: Glad you had a good doctor visit too.

MELF: You're right, could be the weather change. Once the barometer starts falling I often get worse. Then there are times the weather seems to have no influence. Sorry you are hurting so much. Hope it eases up.

ROSALIE: Thanks for the date tip. Will see what I can do. I admire you, always busy, busy, busy. Nice to have the girls with you Ibet.

Bean: WelcomeIt is hard at first, but then most things are. Eat all you are supposed to, don't think that less is better....it's not! Drink lots of water. If you're truly into this, you will be surprised that it's not as hard as you think. Our mental outlook plays a large part in our ability to stay on track.

solly: I have a friend who had something similar. But it wasn't the whole hand, just the middle finger. She eventually had to have surgery to release it. I think it was called "trigger Finger". Martha was really pleased with the results. In fact she plays drums for our entertaiment group.

I have no choice,bedroom and sitting room are upstairs. Even though there are days it is a real pain to climb I figure it's exercise. I don't think my legs are listening though!!!!

Have to head out to the hairdressers, see y'all later. Will need a rest when I get back. No cooking tonight, leftovers. Hooray![/COLOR]
Old 02-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #72  

Having a pretty good day. I know I ate a little off plan for lunch but I've been cutting back the last couple of days preparing to be able to eat out with a friend today at Chilli's. It was sooooo good. Hip's still hurting but not as bad. Have been trying to re-formate my old computer for my GS who will be 13 Saturday. Of course I am having ALL kinds of problems getting it done!!! GRRRR But I haven't given up yet.

My youngest DD turned 32 today. She came to lunch with me too. It's hard to believe that she's that old already. Making me feel old. lol

SEF, great on the improved eye sight! Horrah!

Rosalie & Solly, I have DUPUYTREN'S CONTRACTURE in my right hand. doc said it was hereditary but I didn't know anyone who had it. It's given me a few problems the last year but not bad. Hoping it stays that way.

Bean, You can do it!

Monet, BOB, Country, Missy...anyone else I missed??
Old 02-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #73  

Hello, everyone! Sorry I have been MIA today. With Tom home, my schedule is just all messed up! We woke up late, had our espresso and got up and ran out to Wal Mart. Our Wally World gets HORRIBLY crowded around lunch time and stays that way until 12 midnight, so you have to get there before 10 or it is an unpleasant experience. After that, we ran over to Costco to get a few items then came home. We grabbed a bite of lunch, then went down and worked in the garage. I think we are about ready to move the freezer! Hooray!

Tom is out jogging, and has been bugging me about going for a walk. Yesterday, I walked most of the way barefooted as my Vibrams were rubbing my foot wrong and I could not stand the pain. Walking barefoot after not doing it for months, on pavement, for a mile can cause abrasions on the bottom of your foot I find. So I think I will give the poor puppies another day to heal before I head out walking again. The good news is that while at Wally World and Costco, I noticed that the Vibrams were no longer rubbing my foot wrong. Guess I finally got them stretched out and broken in sufficiently.

SEF: I am so glad to hear your eyes are doing so well! I know that has to be a huge relief for you! I can't tell you how much of a joy it is to have you back on board.

ROSALIE: I bet your place is going to feel really empty when the grandkids go home! So who won the table tennis game?

SOLLY: I have arthritis problems from my lupus, and often have a good bit of pain in the joints of my hands, but my fingers are not bent or anything. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that my hands are very strong from doing pottery? I have lots of muscle in my hands and fingers...I am sure most of it came from wedging clay, but I kept the strength up even when I was not working with clay because I decorated cakes. Perhaps developing hand strength might help?

BEAN: We are glad you are here! Just jump right in and ask any questions you like. If we don't know the answer, we can help you find it. On the sugar, you have to fight like a tiger to get over it sometimes, but it is so worth it! Once you get through the first few days, the cravings go away and it is much easier. One of the best bits of advice I got was to make one change at a time. Instead of cutting out sugar AND worrying about the portions, cut out the sugar and eat legally, and once you get past the cravings, then start to work on the portions. So, if a whole box of triscuits is what you need to keep of sugar, ok. You can work on eating only seven at a time once sugar is no longer an issue! That helped me when I was first starting on SB. Make sure you have good alternatives to the sugar stuff around, so you are not tempted. AND, stay out of the kitchen, except at meal times! A bored mind is the devil's workshop...so keep busy and you won't have time to obsess over sugar, or the lack thereof. Go out for a walk, or go jog in place, read, or sew or knit or draw...just anything to keep from wandering in to the kitchen and being overwhelmed. I hope you will join us and find all the support you need to succeed here!

Off to figure out something for dinner! My family has this notion that there should be dinner EVERY night! I just fixed them one last night!
Old 02-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #74  

MELF: We were posting at the same time! I hope your hip gets better soon! I had problems with mine a few years ago with my lupus, and boy it was terrible!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #75  

Well, the kiddies are in bed so now I can have some computer time. Mom and Dad will be picking them up after school tomorrow. It was fun having them here but I am looking forward to some 'me' time again. Most of this week I have done o.k. with my eating but to-day I didn't feel like cooking so put the meat I had out back into the freezer and bought a ready made pizza instead. Then later on we all had milkshake. Maybe I shouldn't get on the scale tomorrow - I might not like what I see.. I'll have to cook up another batch of lentils soon. I like to eat them for lunch with either pita bread or rye crackers. They are very filling and then I don't need to snack before dinner.

Monet - I won the table tennis but both my gd and gs beat me at air hockey to-day. .

Melf - The kids can really make you feel old. When I was talking to my dd yesterday she reminded me that she was 40 already. My youngest is 33.

Sef - Glad to hear that your eyes are getting better.

Time to go and relax in bed with my crossword puzzle.

Closed Thread