South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #91  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

two newfies? Wow. I feel for your house.

on the other hand...they are soooooooooooo cute.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #92  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

oh newfs are couch potatoes... but we are in a townhouse and brian said NO to two more dogs...
Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #93  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Jelly, that sucks. I hope you can find a job. Have you considered going back into college?

Barb, hope you hear from Robert soon for Brian's sake.

YAY I LOST ANOTHER 2 LBS. Gotta change my ticker. That makes 7lbs for phase 1 even with a cheat. Tomorrow I'll have some blueberries.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #94  
beachin'

Jelly - I'll say it again....you can qualify for financial aid....just because you live with your parents doesn't mean that you can't. At 23 in Connecticut you are legally emancipated from your parents which means that you can apply for and qualify for financial aid.

There are also a bazillion different grant and scholarship programs available.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #95  
Healthy mommy

Jelly it's always worth a try. If you are interested in it, I'd definitely fill out the FAFSA and see what you can do.

I know if I don't get in some more education, I'm going to go absolutely stark raving mad.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #96  

Brian and I just got done watching ER. It's hard to believe that I have watched almost every episode and this is the 15th year. It was heartbreaking seeing one of the major characters die. I won't give the name in case anyone taped it. I've never let Brian watch it before but he really seemed to enjoy it.

Now to get him to bed.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #97  
Healthy mommy

Honestly if we made that much a year we'd pretty much have it made. Then again, we really don't know their situation, what with the financial crisis in America. So many people have taken out loans with really high interest and mortage loans and etc... even if they've got careers such as doctors and lawyers... their financial situation could be dire.. It's a reality nowadays, unfortunately.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #98  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

zeff-our whole fence was damaged. no other damage to the house. there was really bad damage in our area though. signs, stop lights, and businesses were damaged. took some pretty good pictures of some of the damage too. i posted them on my myspace if anyone wants to see. pm me for my email address to find me.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #99  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
Honestly if we made that much a year we'd pretty much have it made. Then again, we really don't know their situation, what with the financial crisis in America. So many people have taken out loans with really high interest and mortage loans and etc... even if they've got careers such as doctors and lawyers... their financial situation could be dire.. It's a reality nowadays, unfortunately.
We're all going through the same financial crisis that her family is.

and the doctors and lawyers that are living well beyond their means have things to show for it - huge mansion houses, bentleys, latin pool boys...

Think of it this way - my family makes a FIFTH of what her family makes. A FIFTH. We make almost half of the federal poverty limit. We don't live on government assistance and we have no debt. It IS possible to live on a low income, but one has to be smart about where their money goes. If I wanted to live the life fantastic, we would be into debt up to our eyeballs....thankfully, I told my DH I could wait a few years before he bought me that 20 carat diamond ring.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #100  
beachin'

20k in debt is nothing. Really.
Connecticut didn't happen to switch over to Yen without telling anybody...did they?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #101  
Determined to lose!

MUL... I don't plan on giving up kitty! (btw, how does Kitty sound? after Kitty Wells?) or Annie in honor of gramma and little orphan Annie!?

I will go back to my soap I was using, see if that helps.

Your story of the mice reminded me of my Gideon that passed away.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:32 PM   #102  
Healthy mommy

I think BF makes around a lot less than $20,000 a year, even with the computer tech stuff he does as a side business. Idon't really want to say how much though. It'd probably be an embarrassing sum! We manage, but we often have to buy things secondhand and it's hard to scrape up cash whenever we're in a pinch. We IN ALL HONESTY haven't managed to save a dime in the 3 years we've been together. When I started thinking that this is enough, I have to have a better future for my son, and started talking to my friends about it, BF happened to have been talking to his coworkers about it. We both discovered that both of us wanted to go back to college and get decent degrees for our son's (and his daughter's) future. So, it won't be instantaneous... but we're working towards it.

Everyone seems to be suffering from the economic crisis.

Jelly, what sort of jobs do your parents have to make so much? We'd be very secure if we had that much, although like I said, I don't know your situation and you said your parents are in quite a lot of debt.

I grew up in a middle class home and lived a comfortable life and then went on to an upper class home when my grandparents took custody of me. And I was used to the wealthy life. When I got out on my own, rebelled, quit college and came back to this town, I sacrificed it all. And now I'm living in a class I've never lived in before... the lower class... and I'll never judge anyone else for such a thing ever again, now that I know how hard it is.

But, you can't just sit at the bottom and complain about it. Anyone has the power to change their situation. When that thought finally got through our heads, we made the decision to do what we've gotta do. My grandma will watch my son and in 2008, we're going to start classes. I already know we'll both be eligible for financial aid.

I'm excited about it.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #103  
Healthy mommy

Long Island, NY is crazy expensive and that's why we moved to NC. Now, that doesn't seem to matter because everything is crazy expensive!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:38 PM   #104  
beachin'

Good for you, Mel.

I checked salary.com for some information regarding cost of living in Connecticut. Compared to Lafayette, LA - the cost of living had an 11.6% increase....BUT, employers typically pay 21.2% more. Kind of evens out, eh?

Also, my favorite way to pay back debt is to never incur it in the first place. What I meant by 20k in debt not being anything is compared to a lot of people...it really isn't.

Sure, I really don't understand what it is like to live paycheck to paycheck Because I'm "rich", right?

Last edited by zeffryn; 09-25-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #105  
Healthy mommy

I hear ya, Jelly. I just made $20 by selling two movies we have to this guy who bags groceries at the Piggly Wiggly... no, not bootleg or anything illegal.

I'm so tempted to go out and buy say, a hair highlighting kit or some new mascara or eyeliner (out of liquid black, have been using liquid purple) or whatever, but I know I've got to save it for things we need. We'll definitely need it. Bf's paycheck was terrible this week after they were rained out a lot last week, and this week they were rained out today and most likely tomorrow. He does as much extra work on the side since he's got his computer tech license and he makes up the difference, but it still leaves us constantly having to call the electric company and put the bill off another week and things like that. The only reason why we have internet is because it is an extremely cheap service around here and we paid a few months in advance for a $20 bill!

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 09-25-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Closed Thread