South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #61  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
JessieW, I'm an idiot, after you mentioned Halloween and your husband not wanting the baby to be born that day, I should have figured it was somewhere around there. Homer Simpson D'oh!

That's not too long from now... a little over a month away... excited yet, or scared? Is this your first? I think I've read somewhere that this is your second child but most people here have kids so I've still yet to get everyone's individual stories straight.

Congratulations..

Soon!!!
I'm pretty sure this is Jessie's first baby....unless she is hiding them from us.

AutumnRose and I both have kids.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #62  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Shaklee makes vitamins and green & natural products, right? I think I've recieved samples in the mail before.

I'm contemplating trying Green Works, the next cleaning stuff. They've got dishwashing liquid now, too.

Oh, Moms: Tummy time trouble again. Everytime I put that child on his stomach he just rolls right back over to his back, no matter how many times I put him back on his stomach. I'm starting to think he'll never sit up by himself or crawl and that come christmas time, he'll be an almost 1 year who can't do anything and everyone will think I'm a terrible caregiver. Urgh. I can just hear my sister's smug comments now, although that's the least of my worries. I just want to make sure he's fine... I'm worrying.

EDIT: Sorry again JessieW. Congrats on your first. I knew Zeff has a DS, and Lady Nessa, and some others.. Didn't know about Autumn. I'll eventually learn.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 09-25-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #63  
beachin'

He'll be fine, Mel. Just let him play on the floor. Rolling around on the floor is helping him develop those muscles as well.

How about putting him on a blanket, getting down on your tummy too and playing with toys? Make his stuffed animals make noises and run around in front of him. If he's distracted, he'll be less likely to remember that he hates being on his tummy. Also, sit him up (just use his arms to stabilize him) and play with him that way. He'll get used to it in no time. The good thing about babies is that they develop really quickly. They can go from showing no signs at all to doing just what you wanted them to in a matter of hours.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #64  
Healthy mommy

Alright, that sounds like a plan. I'm worried about how I quit giving him breast milk early on because my milk started drying up. I know breastmilk raises their IQ so they say, and I read something where Dr Sears said that the more breastmilk they get, the higher their IQ. I'm worried he won't be as smart as he could potentially have been since he only had breast milk for a couple of months.

My mother breastfed all three of us and we all showed signs of higher IQ's, were tested for such and then all were placed in AG, aka academically gifted classes, in school. I don't mean for that to sound braggy in any way, it's just that I want my son to go on to do the same.

I'm a neurotic mother it seems.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #65  
beachin'

While there are studies done...I wouldn't place that as the cause of your son not sitting yet. I breastfed my son for only a few months before my milk dried up...he's just fine. I was an entirely formula fed baby and I'm a member of Mensa (not that that really means anything - please don't take it as me bragging). My DH was also an entirely formula fed baby and is a chemist and a mathematician....even though he acts like a zoo animal sometimes, he is pretty smart. Formula fed babies are not all going to be stupid and not all breastfed babies are going to be geniuses.

Also...he is 7 months old. I think it is just a tad too early to discount his intelligence, hon.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #66  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

oh please both my boys were breastfed longer than ALL YOUR CHILDREN COMBINED.

both of them REMEMBER nursing. Mike was past 4 and daniel past 3 when i weaned them....

Mike is autistic spectrum
daniel did not even try to walk till about 13 months....

breast milk is great for the babies but it's not magic.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #67  
Healthy mommy

I think perhaps I should put down the Parenting and American Baby magazines for awhile... they constantly make me feel inferior (and paranoid, it seems) for having to cut his breastfeeding so short. What with all the studies cited about greater IQs applying to breastfed babies and whatnot.

Also, I didn't mean to imply anyone became stupid if they were formula fed.. I realized how it sounded. Foot in mouth! Nor did I mean that I was AG and superior because I was superiorly breastfed.. heheheh. Nothing like that!

I'm just very neurotic about how things are progressing.

Although he is very social, he looks around very inquisitively, understands that the kittens are not toys, but living things that can interact with him judging by the way he grabs at them and babbles at them excitedly and smiles at them, whereas with toys he just grabs them.

But the doctor's nurse was asking a series of questions they ask at each visit to check for milestones. She asked if he responds in any way when I say "no no" to him, for example if he pulls my hair, which he does. I don't really say 'no no' to him. So I wasn't sure how to answer the question. So she said, well does he seem to understand you.. I wasn't sure. Yesterday he pulled my hair so I said, "no no. That hurts Mommy. No no." and he just grabbed on tigher and looked at me with puzzlement.

I don't expect him to understand yet but according to the nurse, he should??

Okay, I know, I'm on this nonstop worryfest and it's probably a pain in the . I'll stop. For today anyway. Bwhaha.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #68  
beachin'

Mel - he wasn't born with an inherent understanding of no-no. It will take him awhile to learn what no-no means. You also have to show him...if he is pulling your hair, say no and then take his hand away. If he does it again, repeat. If he is touching something else he should...tell him no. If you don't teach him the meaning of no....he won't understand it....just like everything else in the world.

Also, take parenting magazines advice with a grain of salt. Breastfeeding is the new black nowadays...when I was a kid, our parents were told to formula feed...I'm not discounting that is has purpose...but just because your child wasn't breastfed for a long time doesn't mean that he is going to not be smart. Well baby visits are the same way - just because a doctor sees your son for 10 minutes every few months doesn't mean that she knows him specifically...she is going off of what the average child is doing...unfortunately, not all children are average. Remember that the average is made up of kids that do it REALLY early and some that do it REALLY late.

Just let him develop and stop worrying about it.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #69  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

dogs husbands and babies all have to be trained.

<running away>
Old 09-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

Mel don't worry I am the queen of foot in the mouth! As far as the parenting magazines go, yes they are helpful but sometimes a bit overboard. Most of us turned out ok and our parents didn't have them when we were growing up! From what I can gather you are doing fine, don't stress so much, enjoy this time before you know it you'll be facing an empty nest and wondering where the years went!

ETA: one of the funniest things my oldest ever did is if you went through all the animal sounds (what does a duck say etc.) followed by what does mommy say, he would say no-no!

Last edited by Pacergal29; 09-25-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #71  
Healthy mommy

Quote:
Mel - he wasn't born with an inherent understanding of no-no. It will take him awhile to learn what no-no means. You also have to show him...if he is pulling your hair, say no and then take his hand away. If he does it again, repeat. If he is touching something else he should...tell him no. If you don't teach him the meaning of no....he won't understand it....just like everything else in the world.

Also, take parenting magazines advice with a grain of salt. Breastfeeding is the new black nowadays...when I was a kid, our parents were told to formula feed...I'm not discounting that is has purpose...but just because your child wasn't breastfed for a long time doesn't mean that he is going to not be smart. Well baby visits are the same way - just because a doctor sees your son for 10 minutes every few months doesn't mean that she knows him specifically...she is going off of what the average child is doing...unfortunately, not all children are average. Remember that the average is made up of kids that do it REALLY early and some that do it REALLY late.

Just let him develop and stop worrying about it.

Thank you Zeff. It does give me some peace of mind to know that I am just overly worrying. If everyone was shocked and horrified at his development, that'd be another thing but I see I'm just stressing it when I should just let him do his thing. Thank god for this message board having other moms.. if not for other moms with experience, I'd go insane. The doctor is never very helpful.

Quote:
dogs husbands and babies all have to be trained.

<running away>
Heheheh! Especially husbands/significant others.

Quote:

Mel don't worry I am the queen of foot in the mouth! As far as the parenting magazines go, yes they are helpful but sometimes a bit overboard. Most of us turned out ok and our parents didn't have them when we were growing up! From what I can gather you are doing fine, don't stress so much, enjoy this time before you know it you'll be facing an empty nest and wondering where the years went!

ETA: one of the funniest things my oldest ever did is if you went through all the animal sounds (what does a duck say etc.) followed by what does mommy say, he would say no-no!
Thanks Pacergal! Like I said, it really does help soothe my neurotic mind when you guys set me straight. A friend of mine who works at a daycare really had me going insane with her comments about he should be doing this and that and this and that at this specific time. Feels better to know that it's normal for everyone to develop at their own pace.

That is so friggin' adorable about your son. hehehe! I look forward to stuff like that.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #72  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

It certainly is a chat these days. I have nothing to add except to say that I had a lovely afternoon sitting by the Lake drinking tea and watching two dogs have playtime!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #73  
Healthy mommy

It sounds so nice to relax by a lake like that. It sounds soothing, and peaceful and certainly fun for the pups.

It would be beautiful to live by a lake! I'd sit out there with some water bottles, the cats, and just me. BF is too loud and disruptive. I'd just sit there, watch the water and let any stress melt away.

I'm envious!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #74  
Healthy mommy

Hers are probably double d's.

Urgh, it sucks, all groceries are definitely going up. It's practically $2 for a 3 liter of diet pepsi nowadays, although I haven't had it in over a week. (I do miss it though.) It is unbelievable! We'll get the tiniest bit of stuff, even value stuff and sales, and it will still be like $80 at the register. Our monthly food budget depletes almost automatically in about a week. It's so ridiculous.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #75  
beachin'

Ah, Ruth. How I could use a relaxing day by the lake. Your property sounds beautiful.

Last edited by zeffryn; 09-25-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Closed Thread