Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #361  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Racrane - Want to prepare you for something (I know none of the baby books said anything to me about this!). Preggo hormones knocked about 3/4 of an octave off the top of my range. Apparently it's the relaxin relaxing vocal chords, or something...I have another pregnant friend who sings, and she found the same thing. So I Googled it, and it does eventually come back! I discovered this when singing in the car, I was singing along with something normally sort of near the top of my range but totally reachable, and I couldn't hit any of it. So be prepared!

Midwife appointment this morning. It's with the one I don't like, but I'm trying to come around to her, because let's face it, if there are 3 midwives that rotate being on call, and I don't like one, that's totally the one that will be on call when Spencer's born.
My voice teachers told me that, too. I already have difficulty going above high D, but I'll live. I'll be singing until the end of my pregnancy because it's so good for you, but I'm planning on modifying as needed. I always recommend singing because, done right, it's healthy, relaxing and fun. And good for the baby, too.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #362  

S/C/G: 290/272/165

Height: 5'7.5

Pretty sure I'm having bh contractions. Not close together or painful. Doc said go to hospital if its more than five in one hour which its not.

A has been pretty lazy today and only moved a couple times. Scares me a tad because he's always super active.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #363  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Keller - My back was doing much better yesterday, but after sitting in a waiting room chair for 2.5 hours and a 1 hour ultrasound (they were running ridiculously behind) it's in pretty bad shape again today. Baby is doing great, though. Definitely still a boy and everything looks absolutely normal. They did a full heart work up on him (as practice for a couple of techs that are taking their boards soon) and it all looks beautiful. Right now I get ultrasounds once a month and it'll go to every two weeks then once a week at the end. I have severe asthma so am considered high risk... thus the regular ultrasounds and monitoring. It's a bit of a pain, but I do love seeing baby so often.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #364  
By God's Grace

Mandalinn - I though I would really care who delivered my babies, but when the time came I honestly couldn't have cared less. There could have been a full choir in the room and I'm pretty sure my thought still would have been "Get out of me!" As long as the midwife is capable that's what's really important in my experience. I rarely saw my dr while I was in labor, the nurses were the ones that really made my experience. But again, I'm pretty sure my primary thoughts were "OUCH!!" and "Get out of me!!" lol!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #365  
By God's Grace

Keller- I feel for you, bh's stink. If you're worried about baby's movement call your dr. They can put you on the monitor just to make sure everything is ok. You're almost far enough along for kick counts, have you given that a try? I hope your mind gets put at ease soon!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #366  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Racrane and Amanda - I was just looking up stuff about singing!!!! (Pregnant minds think alike, I guess!!! LOL!) I never really thought that my vocal range would change, because mine's weird anyway. Though I sang alto all through high school, I was 'contracted' along with my friend (who is also an alto!) to sing the ridiculously high note in Bohemian Rhapsody ("for meeee... foorr meeeeee... foor MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!") because only one or two sopranos could actually hit the note more than once. My friend and I were goofing off and making fun of the sopranos that day because they couldn't hit it, and then our director asked us to sing it for real! LOL! Mind you, this was a decade or more ago (jeez that makes me feel creaky), and the most vocal exercise I get is in church or in the car!!!

I did one of those online "test your vocal range" doodles last night (sing along with the notes and write the note that you can't sing or that feels uncomfortable), and I can still sing the lowest alto and the highest soprano without stretching.

Amanda - One of the sites I read said that the changing in your vocal range has to do with the way the baby rests on you while you're pregnant (at least part of the way)... 'high' babies won't affect much (according to her!), but 'low' babies can affect your breath control/diaphragm. Also, your vocal range may change because your abdominal muscles are adjusting and getting ready for that little noggin to come out of you!

Gale - I will definitely be in your "birth choir"! LOL!

Just looked at my 'baby' signature... LOL @ throwing a grapefruit at DH's head. I feel like this all the time, but he makes me laugh too so I keep him ;-) I still believe I'm farther along than 10 weeks though!!!! I feel like I'm 15 weeks along Hopefully I can convince the doctor to give me an U/S so that I KNOW how far along I am. Next appointment is in a week! *fingers crossed*
Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #367  

Gale- I asked my doctor and said that as long as it's once an hour right now- thats fine, especially if hes been super active because he could just be really tired today. I drank some dr pepper and he started kickin for probably a half hour but now hes back to being lazy and only kicking once or twice an hour. Maybe i'll get some sleep tonight for once!!!!!

Pain seems to be getting worse and worse. I can barely make it out of class some days. Usually it goes away for a few hours once I start moving in the morning but for the past week, it's been a constant pain.

Doctors appt was pushed back a few days to the 20th because I had another appointment scheduled for the same time. Oops. I'm becoming forgetful.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #368  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

My coworker has the flu. Lovely. And she won't go home...she's got a serious case of "martyr syndrome" and HAS to be the one suffering the most. She's up there sneezing and coughing non-stop, blowing germs everywhere. I had a flu shot, but it was back at the beginning of October. It better still be good, and had better cover whatever strain of the flu she has. I can't afford to use any sick days at all.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #369  

Mindi, I understand! I live in college dorms right now where EVERYONE seems to be sick right now, coughing and sneezing everywhere. I'm paranoid.

Keller: I'm forgetful, too. Especially my math class. Basic adding and subtracting, whoops.

I'm also really wavering on raising the child with my boyfriend. I'm just having immense difficulty imagining giving the baby up. I don't know. Still lots to think about.

I have a question (I have a lot of questions, sorry). I'm approaching the 12 week mark next week and plan to tell people soon. I've already told family, very close friends, professors, etc. But how to tell the general student population at the college I go to? Especially the people I hang out with on a daily basis who have plenty of opinions. I have no idea how to handle this, because no one I know has gone through this, either. Thanks, everyone.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #370  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Racrane- Well that's a bit up to you i think. I only told close friends/family/co-workers. I still haven't told most of my family and never told most of my co-workers (though most of them have figured it out by now) ((That or they think I'm just getting fat))
If they are people close to you, you can just bring it up one day. "Hey, guess what, I'm pregnant!"
I think half the reason I've not told every single person who knows me is because I am giving the baby up for adoption so I don't feel the need to "Spread the good news." Because it always just leads into the awkward moment when I have to say I'm not keeping her. Though truthfully I've never really had any real negative feedback from friends (only family).
If I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the baby or not, I don't think I would have told anyone until I did know for sure. I'm not sure how you're feeling about the adoption but you can bring that up too if you feel comfortable with these people. "I'm pregnant, but not sure if we're going to give the baby up or not." (I said this alot) But be prepared to give your reasons because they will ask why.
You said they have plenty of opinions but don't take anything they say to heart. This is your baby and your life and only you and BF knows what's good for the three of you. Any smart/caring person will know this and won't try to talk into one side or the other.

I too had (and still have) feelings of not being able to give my baby up. I'm in tears about it at least once a day. But I do know that these are normal feelings (hormones and such) and I just tell myself that even though my wanting this baby may change, it won't change the issues DF and I have and it won't change the fact that no one will be around to care for this baby while we're working. I know what Df and I can and cannot do.

You have a long time to keep thinking about it and working things out with you and your BF, take your time so you can make good, clear choices.

As for me..
Sickness is running wild where I work, germs everywhere and I didn't get the flu shot because I was 12 the last (and only time) I had the flu. I have had the stuffy/runny nose and cough for the past 2 weeks and it's only just today that it's starting to go away. I didn't even wake up once to cough my lungs up last night. I still have a sore throat in the morning, but it tends to go away halfway into the night, though sometimes it comes back at the end of the day. None of the baby safe meds really worked at all, which is weird for me because I can take a medicne and be knocked out by it and it works. This was the first time taking meds that didn't even touch the cough or sniffles.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #371  

Sucky for all the sick people around you ladies. Hope they all get better or stay home/out of your way. I just got over sickness from DF- after sleeping for almost 4 days straight off and on.

Racrane- All in all, it's your choice, but if you're not sure about whether to give him/her up, then maybe hold off a bit longer and have a long discussion with your DF before telling those who aren't close to you. Everybody will have their own opinions. Are you ready to deal with that?
Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #372  

Thank you very much, Sakai.

And keller: I don't mind other people's opinions, though they might hurt. My parent's hurt the worst though. They are staunchly against adoption and are manipulative. I've always known that, it's just they're thinking more about their feelings than mine right now. They say things like, "Why are you doing this to us?", "What have we done to deserve this?" and "How can we be excited if you're just going to give it up? It's not fair to us." It's so frustrating. They said they'll help me, but it'll be a lot different once the baby is born.

I'm also pretty ticked that my mom told my brother. I wanted to be the one to tell my family, and here she is "It's too difficult for me to keep it private" and spills the news. It's all about her right now.

I don't want to hurt them, but I can't see myself NOT hurting them in some way. But they just don't get that it's Kyle's and my decision, not theirs. My whole family is against the adoption. That is so difficult for me.

I've had aunts and uncles I NEVER talk to call me, act like we've always been close and tell me why I should keep the baby. I'm sorry I'm so upset about this.

On a positive note, I went to the doctor and heard the baby's heartbeat. It made me very happy.

Take care, everyone.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #373  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

You have every right to be upset, Racrane. People sometimes over-step their boundaries. Try not to let it get to you!!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #374  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Had abdominal pains and stabbing pains in my chest and uterus so DH took me to the urgent care center. I didn't really want to go because I thought I was going to be okay but he pretty much said "better safe than sorry"... I put up with it for a few days was my train of thought, but I'm glad that I did go. There was not anything wrong as far as blood work or anything, they did say to keep my BP in check (it wasn't as low as it was at my first ob visit, but it wasn't as high as before the pregnancy) and if the symptoms got worse to go back.

They did try to find the fetal heartbeat but the doctor and the nurse both told me I may not hear it because I'm just at the cusp of being able to hear it. One kind of weird thing that I noticed is that my pain tolerance is GONE. That might be why the abdominal pain has been affecting me so badly, I think. When they poked my arm to get blood for lab work, I yelled. I have had bloodwork done and never EVER has it hurt so badly. The IV hurt worse, and REMOVING all of the IV/tubing/tape was like torture. I told one of the nurses that I noticed my pain tolerance was going down but I still won't do an epidural... if getting poked in the arm hurt that bad, no way in HECK am I getting poked in the back!!!! (Though a friend of mine tried to turn me toward doing the epidural. My mind is mostly made up but I'm willing to hear more from both sides)

I told the urgent care dr that I have been going back and forth with my ob about getting an ultrasound so that I actually know how far along I am and he pretty much sided with her (I figured he would) but he also sort of gave an explanation: they want me to be far enough along that they would be able to see something more than snow on an ultrasound. Though I think it's more malarky than not, I at least accepted that he gave a reason as to why my dr was right about not wanting to do one.

My next regular dr appt is on valentines day, so hopefully my BP will go back down. I definitely don't want to be on BP medication while pregnant or nursing. I definitely don't want to be on BP medication EVER! >.< I just wish I could relax for the rest of my pregnancy and not have to worry about money or taking care of my cat or my car or anything.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #375  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Is it possible you were worried, and that's why your BP was elevated? I know that when I had to go to the ER for bleeding, my BP was ridiculously high. Like 30+ points higher than normal, and so high they wanted to work me up for pre-eclampsia.

You don't see "snow" on an early ultrasound. At my 7 week ultrasound to check whether our pregnancy took, there was a measurable little bean in there. At the 12 week, you could see his face. There's a clear gestational sac with a baby in it, and you can see/verify the heartbeat.

I am really, really surprised that at an estimated 10 weeks, they didn't do an ultrasound, especially since you're not sure how far along you are. If you were off by a few weeks, you could still be in the window for an ectopic. Are you feeling better now? If you're not feeling better, I'd really recommend going into an ER. Honestly, better safe than sorry.
Closed Thread