Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #451  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Evening ladies! Three days straight in the early garden (smaller of two). I tilled Sat. and Sun., planted leeks, lettuce, spinach, and kale yesterday, planted red potatoes, another lettuce variety, carrots, parsnips, and peas tonight after dinner. Tomorrow night will be the last planting for a week.

Break - scrambled egg and ham
Snack - almonds
Lunch - ham and cheese slider
Dinner - homemade pizza
Snack - cran water

Last edited by PrairieQueen; 04-18-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #452  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Woohoo, glad to have my computer back! So I've been "good" now for 2 days without the protein bars and my appetite seems to have calmed down some, thank goodness! I went without Diet Dr. Pepper yesterday, but I forgot that when I stop it I go into a migraine headache for 4 days; therefore, just drinking it on Carb Days isn't going to work. I either have to give it up completely or find a way to have it each day. I woke up today with the beginning of a migraine. It took me a minute to realize why my eyeballs were hurting so badly. Once I realized a migraine was coming on, I knew why. So I immediately got up and made a pot of caffeinated tea. To my surprise, that didn't help at all. Even hours later, my headache continued to get worse. I'm not mentally prepared right now to go through days of a migraine, so I gave in and drank a bottle of Dr. Pepper and the headache went away. That tells me it's not just caffeine I'm addicted to, and that's a scary thought. I'm going to have to try to give up Diet Dr. Pepper again, but I have to be ready. I'm not ready right now for the migraine. So in the meantime I will have to find the discipline to drink no more than one bottle or can a day because I definitely think Diet Dr. Pepper contributes to my sweet tooth. Anyway, I am EATING well right now, so I'm going to focus on that for now!

PrairieQueen, thank you! Yay on your DH's smaller size! And glad you are back in your beloved garden!

ZCA, I hope your little one had a happy birthday!

Carol Sue,

Trish, good luck with the moving process!

Tabby, I'm glad you're back on track! It can be difficult sometimes and we slip here and there, but it we just have to keep our eyes forward and continue trying to do our best!

Rennie, where are you? Miss you!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #453  

Chickiechooo! I just saw your post. Please feel free to join us!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #454  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

PQ I am so envious of your garden. I can't plant anything. The critters eat it up as soon as it comes up. We only do tomatoes in the summer. I would love to do peppers, swiss chard, leeks.

Jacqui, I never get headaches. I used to get them occasionally when I had sinus issues, but not for years now. Maybe it's because of the meds I'm on. I don't think I will ever completely give up my Diet Coke. I like the carbonation. It seems to help with the congestion in my throat. I drink a lot less than I used to. It does not make me crave sweets. I think my sweet tooth fell out. LOL I have been doing a version of intermittent fasting. I eat between 10 and 5 or thereabouts. I stopped my bedtime snack and it hasn't affected my morning blood sugar, so I think I'm ok with that. I'm down a couple pounds, but not as much as I thought I would be. I also have not had any starchy carbs for the past week. I still eat my veggies, though. Love my veggies. Oh, and I am sleeping so much better lately. I think it helps me to go to bed on an empty stomach. And I'm not starving when I get up in the morning.

I have to make cookies today for DGS, and stay out of the cookie dough! He called and told me the cookies I gave him last time are almost gone. I think his parents put him up to it. LOL
Old 04-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #455  

Carol Sue, I'm so glad the intermittent fasting is working for you and great job staying away from the starches! And a big yay on the 2 lbs down! I would love to give intermittent fasting a go, but my DH and I eat at all different hours. Because of his job and all the years of our kids in sports, we've never eaten at "normal" hours. Now that the kids are grown and my DH is retired, you'd think it'd be better, but no. Late last night I had to battle my sweet tooth, but I did it, by refusing to let myself go into the kitchen! I also stuck to that one bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper yesterday and its effects seemed to have carried over to today because I haven't had a problem with a headache today. Maybe I can get by with one every other day instead of every day. We'll see!

PrairieQueen, I envy your garden skills too! Unfortunately, I have a brown thumb.

Once I get through this week, I'll start weighing myself and type out my menus again. But for now, I'll just summarize: I had my usual eggs, bacon, and yogurt for breakfast, then bologna, green olives and cheese sticks for lunch, and I had a boiled egg for a snack. I'm not sure what we're having for dinner. Now that it's nice out, DH has started grilling out again, but he's been gone most the day and we didn't discuss what we're having like we normally do, so we didn't set anything out to thaw. It may be a "snack it" night. If so, I think I will have a small salad, and a plate of sliced pepperoni with melted mozzarella cheese on top. tastes incredibly like pizza!

Edited to add: DH went to a local pizza place and got a sub for himself and some plain chicken wings for me, so that was dinner tonight.

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 04-19-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #456  

I spoke to Rennie through text today and she is doing well but staying busy. She said she is hoping to start fresh on eating well in May. She said her Mom will be visiting at the beginning of May but after that, she hopes to be good to go! She told me to tell everyone hello for her!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #457  

Congrats on the loss Carol Sue! Keep up the good work.
Jacqui good going on staying out of the kitchen! Hang in there... You'll be back on track in no time.

Planted gold and red beets, radishes, another type of Italian kale, iceberg lettuce, and bokchoy. Tomorrow, I'll stop at the feed store for onion sets and copper sulfate (to treat a fungus that spread through everyone's garden last year). My farmer friend will be down o till up the big garden tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

Break - sausage mcmuffin
Lunch - Amy's bean/cheese burrito
Dinner - grilled wings, sweet potato fries, lite beer
Snack - cran water
Old 04-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #458  

S/C/G: 234/179/160

Thanks Jacqui. the birthday went well and they had a great time.

HI ALL
fun reading along....just got so busy in life that I had to cut computer time and do all the junk that was having to get done. So much 'stuff' in life keeps one hopping, and not for the good sometimes LOL.

on plan 100%. today is 2 ribeyes. nothing changing on the menu front, just feeling so great eating my plan and I realize with more and more time on it, I feel so good I can't ever leave it. I just don't remember feeling this in tune with my body ever. I guess I was in a carb nightmare and carb coma

have a storm coming, went from 85 to like 60s...boo...but we need the rain this time. the pollen has turned everything yellow...a good rain wash down is SO wanted at this time.

everyone have a great day
Old 04-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #459  

ZCA72, I'm happy to hear you are feeling so good and loving your way of eating! I think we all have a way that works well for our bodies. We just have to find it! I know my way works well for me when I stick to it, but it definitely isn't for everyone. Speaking of sticking to it, I'm still on plan! Now that protein bars are back out of my life, I'm finding it to be pretty smooth sailing again. And I got by without Diet Dr. Pepper yesterday, but I don't think I'll get through today. I didn't wake up with a headache so I was hopeful, but I'm starting to feel the pressure building up in my head now. I'm happy that every other day will work instead of every day though!

PrairieQueen, your garden sounds wonderful! I love hearing about it! Oh and then when you describe the wonderful meals you make with all your goodies, it sounds so wonderful! I just read an article today that Roundup has been found in breakfast foods that researchers didn't expect to find it in, like organic bagels and eggs! Yikes! I can only imagine how much must be in store bought veggies. That's when I really envy you with your fresh homegrown veggies!

Carol Sue, you are SO lucky not to get headaches! I get sinus headaches whenever the weather changes. And I used to get TOM migraines. (If I can only make it to August, I should be officially over with TOM! ) Now I get migraines whenever I try to stop Diet Dr. Pepper. It's always 4 days worth, like clockwork. You'd think that would be enough to make me give up Diet Dr. Pepper forever, but I really do have an addiction to it and I've not been able to make it past 6 months. Thank goodness I never took up smoking or heavy drinking or drugs or serious gambling because I'm not very good at fighting this addiction! I'm glad your Diet Coke doesn't make you crave sweets. In fact, I'm so jealous that you no longer have a sweet tooth! I have SUCH a sweet tooth! I have to calm down on Carb Day though. I am not helping my RA by how "all out" I've been going on Carb Days lately. I always hurt pretty good the next day, and recently my pain and stiffness have been lingering. I don't want to have to go back on meds, so I need to try to be more moderate on Carb Days, which was my plan from the start!

Today I had eggs, bacon, yogurt, and blackberries for breakfast. Yum! I haven't had blackberries in a long time. They are so good! When I reached goal, I added citrus and berries to my diet and although I have to get back down to goal, I haven't cut out those fruits. I don't think they're hurting me. They don't trigger my appetite or sweet tooth, which is what I was worried about, and the fiber helps fill me up. I don't have fruit very often, just occasionally with breakfast so I'm going to leave them in, unless I see any negative effects on my cravings, because they're very healthy, full of natural vitamins, and yummy!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 04-20-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #460  

Hot dogs for lunch today. We are going to the local sports grill for dinner so it will be my favorite salad with craisins for dinner. A headache did not come on today when I thought it might so, so far I have not had any Diet Dr. Pepper today!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 04-20-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #461  

Jacqui yeah on no diet Dr. P! That's was my worst addiction....Coke Zero. I blame it for a lot of my other bad habits/general blahs. I still get a taste for it and usually get a fix on Saturday or Sunday morning. That keeps me sated for a week.
ZCA glad your plan is keeping you pumped! I found never do no carb...even when I do it unintentionally my brain goes haywire. I do too much math at work and if I don't have my (good) carbs things get real foggy in my head.

Break - egg salad/bacon wrap
Lunch - ham/cheese slider
Dinner - beef fajita, black beans
Snack - cran water
Old 04-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #462  

S/C/G: 234/179/160

Jacqui I swear it must be our addictive type personalities in that we GIVE up so much of our old foods, our minds instantly 'find new' addictions. the 'emergency' things we keep for 'just in case' then become the dependency. Thing is we can't fool ourselves too long. We KNOW what we are doing to ourselves LOL and it is a pain to break that addiction situation but you sure can do it!! As long as we SEE and address what we do for our own good and improvement, then we will succeed and move forward. I sure have done it! I relied on Atkins bars way back in the day. I ate a zillion of those 'just in case' situations LOL

PQ, I am opposite. carbs are what keep me in a brain fog. no carbs for me puts me in the most clear minded way I have ever been in my life.
I know many say the carbs are needed to keep them clear, but if you accept the fact that we do not need 1 carb eaten our entire life to survive, then it comes to show in reality that they are not needed for our bodies and that the natural way to eat is carb-less really....BUT I DO say everyone is so different in that one must do what they must to be in their best form. I just tend to absolutely follow and understand my ZC ways. It puts me in a pickle talking about eating carbs with others LOL I always want to say XX and YY about carbs but I know when others have a great plan that is working so well for them, well, it is best we all do our own plans
Whatever we do to improve our health and more for our individual selves is the best gift we can ever give ourselves. rock it out PQ the way that fits you great!!

HI ALL
off to moms house. she wants to shop Kmart to wander around and get out. I need some pool supplies. then off to lunch at Wendy's burgers.
bleck. I will get the 1/2 grilled chicken salad. wish me luck in that I haven't had anything green in SO long that it will either kill me or be ok LOL
(I don't eat fast food burgers without a bun, the meat is just so sub-par to me, even as a ZC person I would rather have a tiny salad to get buy)
Mom is 88 and so worried we can't go anywhere she wants cause of how I limit my menu but it is cool, I will pick at a tiny salad just for her, no one else in this world tho would I do it! LOL

after that small salad, I got my eyes on a giant ribeye when I get home!

have a great day all
Old 04-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #463  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCA72 View Post
but if you accept the fact that we do not need 1 carb eaten our entire life to survive, then it comes to show in reality that they are not needed for our bodies and that the natural way to eat is carb-less really...
Although I agree with you about starchy carbs, I disagree when it comes to veggies, which are carbs. Sure, you don't need them to survive, but look at my brother-in-law who has survived for 68 years eating nothing but cakes and cookies. He is surviving. He claims that meat and vegetables cause him so many stomach problems, but he can fill up on sweets and salty snacks and feel great. Vegans have proved for years that you don't need meat to survive. I believe that our bodies need the phytonutrients in vegetables for health as adamently as you feel they don't. All in all, I think our bodies are wonderful mysterious machines that seem to accept whatever diet we bring upon them and find a way to keep us going regardless. Thank God! And you're right, in the end we all have to do what is best for each of us.

I also cannot eat a fast food burger. It doesn't taste like meat! The only burgers I will eat when out is an angus burger. And only bunless. I can't believe I am finally starting to not like bread. It took years!!!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-21-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #464  

So Jacqui, how do you know TOM is going away in August? Does he have a trip scheduled? Sometimes he hides for a while, then pops back in when you least expect him. Maybe you mean you are having him surgically removed? Maybe I'm just being too darn nosy!! LOL

I have heard that if you're going to have fruit, blackberries are the least problematic. Lower in sugar and higher in fiber. I vote for keeping them, if my vote counts!

My lack of a sweet tooth does not include chocolate candy. I can eat it til I'm nauseated, then do it again the next day. I can easily pass up chocolate cake or chocolate ice cream, but not chocolate candy. Luckily DH doesn't like it and it's not around. I wish I had the money I spent in the snack machines when I worked. I bought so many candy bars and ate them all day. And I knew every desk in the building where someone kept a stash. Funny that I didn't lose weight after I retired. I guess something else replaced the chocolate candy.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #465  

Carol Sue, I sure wish I could survive on your BIL's diet! My taste buds would be overjoyed! My body sure would make me pay though, lol! Like you, I am losing my taste for breads. Somehow the flour in cake hasn't fallen into that category yet though, haha! Oh yum, I love chocolate candy! But also cake and cookies, lol! Well, from everything I've read, if you can get through a year without TOM, you are officially in menopause and no more TOM. My last TOM was July of last year. Are you telling me that's not right? PLEASE let that be right, lol!

ZCA72, yes, we are all different. Our bodies are different. Our gut flora is different. Our medical conditions are different. Our mind-body connections are different. We each have to find our own path to our healthiest self. I know that if I tried to go all meat, I'd be constipated to high heaven, and I'd probably have gout in less than a month! And I have to agree with Carol Sue on the phytonutients and antioxidants in fruits and vegetables. I need them. Plus, the liver has to work harder to convert protein and fat to glucose, and no doubt I'd be susceptible to liver damage with my battle with RA already. I know I need to cool it on the sweets, but I have to have carbs to function properly. Oh but I can't agree with you more on addiction! I was eating those protein bars like candy bars, and with the preservatives in them, I wonder if they aren't worse than just having some chocolate! I absolutely MUST stay away from them! Good luck with the Wendy's salad!

PrairieQueen, so Coke Zero caused problems for you too? I really don't think it's my imagination that Diet Dr. Pepper contributes to my wanting sweets. I've noticed it for a few years now, whenever I stop it and end up going back to it. Of course, it could be my all-or-nothing mentality too. I don't know. I just know it's not good for me, and I need to continue to try to get away from it if I can, even though I love it so much!

So last night, DH and I didn't end up at our local sports grill. We went to Scioto Downs Racino instead because it was half off old folks night at the buffet, lol! Every Wednesday is half-price for those 50 and older. Today just happens to be my 55th birthday, so we decided to have my birthday dinner last night at the buffet for half price. It wasn't my Carb Day so I stuck to meats and non-starchy veggies, but it was nice to have such a selection! And $10 in free play had already been downloaded to my card for my birthday so we played the slots and I won $94! Woohoo! It was fun! Today I had a late breakfast of eggs, bacon, and yogurt. I haven't had lunch yet because I'm still full from breakfast. I may just have some more yogurt or maybe salad. We're planning to have burgers for dinner (mine bunless, of course). My sinuses are acting up a bit today. I think it's supposed to rain. Then again, it could be allergies. I've heard this year is supposed to be REALLY bad for allergies. I never had allergies when I was younger, but I think I've developed them. On the other hand, I haven't had any Diet Dr. Pepper yet, so even though I have some watery eyes and a stuffy nose, the pressure I'm feeling in my head could also be withdrawals symptoms. We'll see!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 04-21-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Closed Thread