Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #136  

Good Evening Follow Low/Slow Carb-ers or what ever you want to be called.

Today:

B: Eggs, sausage, 1 slice 12 grain toast, ice tea
L: Turkey Chili Dog, with out bun
S: small serving of yogurt
D: Meat loaf, fried cabbage, coffee

Mars: Well, my fried cabbage I was not happy with, but DH said it was good except it could have used some onion thrown in. I fried it in Olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper. It fell apart so it wasn't what I was expecting. Tasty, but I felt a flop.

Rennie: I would have preferred my homemade cabbage rolls to the fried cabbage, but I will try anything at least once. Or sweet sour red cabbage, except that has brown sugar in it - I love that.

Jac: Like I mentioned before, there was a reason you were the leader of the pack for us, you just keep right on keeping on us track. Thank you.

Bewildered: So good to see a new face (or should I say poster) We all benefit from each others posts even if we don't know it at the time. Me, I am trying to figure out how many inches of fat it takes to make a pound. I see more success for me in measurements than the scale moving. I have decided I have very light weight fat that must take up a lot of space on my body in the form of inches. All I do know is I feel better than I felt 2 1/2 months ago.

I had a very strange weekend, my head is not with it - I think. And can I say I am worried about my DH's health - and with me worry makes stress and stress makes me binge (and in the back of my mind I tell myself don't go there and I have been good about it) But I know I am worried and I don't want to go through this again, with him. I can feel it eating away at me inside. So, send good thoughts my way, that this is just a passing thing and it won't lead to a replay for us. (sorry, but I feel if I put this in words it may help and I will be more aware of a better way to handle it)

So, is everyone looking forward to Monday, Ugh! work!
Old 07-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #137  
maintaining since 9/2013

chickadeee I am So sorry to hear about your stress, and sending all good thoughts that he is okay. Rest assured about that. We are all to support you, even though you can't see us in person. But at least you don't need to worry whether your hair is combed before you 'talk' to us, lol. Please post here in any way that's helpful. Staying on plan is extra challenging for sure--so natural to turn to food for some comfort. The thing I have found re bingeing is that it doesn't really help me much. Please take good care of yourself through this time. Maybe that's what we are here for, just to remind each other to take good care of ourselves.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Chickadeee, I am so sorry that things are going on with your DH's health that have you stressed, and I will certainly put you both in my prayers. I don't know what foods you binge on when you are worried, but overall it seems like you eat very healthily so I assume healthy foods are in your refrigerator and pantry right now. You want to try to keep it that way. When you go to the grocery, don't suddenly decide to buy cupcakes, etc. If you feel like you are slipping, please reach out to us! We are here to support you and we will do all we can! Binging will not make you feel better, just the opposite. It will make you feel so much worse, both physically and emotionally, and you need to keep yourself as strong as possible!

Bewildered, I love that you are chatty like we are, lol! And you have it right about my exercise (and my daily menu for that matter). I don't post what I am planning to do. I post what I have already done. Thank you, I am trying! And Carb Day keeps me from feeling guilty, and that is THE key to my being able to do this (or any) diet! Please don't push yourself too hard on exercise while your foot is still injured. A slow walk probably won't hurt things, but do be careful! You don't want to make things worse and then have an even longer time before you can start exercising normally!

Rennie, I'm hoping you've already hit your highest weight for the week and you get a nice whoosh down!

Mars, sometimes Carb Days are like that! You don't need to feel annoyed though. That weight will come back off! Drink your water!

Carol Sue, I am shaped just the opposite of you. I'm short-waisted and long-legged, and I've always had junk in the trunk, thunder thighs, and when I was younger, a little bitty waist. Jeans never fit me right because if they fit my booty, the top of them would gape open around my waist. When I put a belt on, it held the loops close to me but bunched up the top of the jeans so that the belt ended up above the gathering, which still gaped open! Today my waist is just below 37 inches. I would have liked to have sucked it in as much as possible, lol, but I read you are supposed to slowly breathe out when measuring to determine if you are close to that "below 35 inches" mark, and that healthy mark is my goal! It used to be that my waist was the last place I gained and the first place I lost. Not anymore! Now I have a middle age spread and I gain extra weight there, and it's being stubborn about coming off! Of course, no matter what I do, I will always have junk in the trunk and thunder thighs, lol! That's just where I carry the most weight. Oh, and in my arms. I HATE that! I have a tough time with blouses because the sleeves never fit! When I finally lose in the arms, I'm going to have bat wings!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #139  

Woohoo! Lost that Carb Day water weight! Now, if the scale will only keep going down!

Week 9: High 199.5, Low 198.5
6/28--199.5
6/29--199
6/30--199
7/1--198.5
7/2--198.5
7/3--198.5
7/4--199.5 Carb Day
Week 10: High 200.5, Low 196.5
7/5--200.5
7/6--200
7/7--198.5
7/8--197
7/9--196.5
7/10--197
7/11--197 Carb Day
Week 11: High 198.5, Low 195
7/12--198.5
7/13--198
7/14--198
7/15--196.5
7/16--196
7/17--195
7/18--195 Carb Day
Week 12:
7/19--195.5
7/20--195
7/21--
7/22--
7/23--
7/24--
7/25--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:
Greek yogurt with Mio
2 fried eggs
3 slices of bacon
Mio water

Lunch:
Field greens and veggies salad, topped with fried chicken (skin peeled off) and walnuts, with ranch dressing
Mio water

Snack:

Dinner:
Greek yogurt with Mio
Manwich hamburger over steamed broccoli and cauliflower
Mio water

Today's Exercise:
2-mile walk, 20 minutes HIIT elliptical, 3 sets of 12 reps each on 9 arm and chest machines

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-20-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #140  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Chickadeee, I am praying that your DH is OK and that you are able to stay on track with your eating in spite of the stress you must be feeling.

Jacqui My sister-in-law and I were always competitive about weight, but she was built like you. She always said if she could get the jeans over her hips, they fit. She always needed a belt. They moved out of state and I rarely see her now, but I know she still watches. Weight in the thighs and butt may be unpleasant, but it is not unhealthy like belly and upper body fat is. She did a version of slow carb and lost 97 lbs before "slow carb" was invented. She dieted very strict though the week but they went out to eat every Saturday and she had a full meal of whatever she wanted. It was her cheat day.

Whatever you are doing, keep it up. You are doing great and are definately the leader of the pack!
Old 07-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #141  
`

Carol Sue. Hope you are doing well!

Mars, I moved AND am on vacation. I recently sold my home and am currently vacationing/traveling/visiting family before I find a new house. I’m in Oregon and Washington until September unless I find a house I like up here.
I was looking at your stats and am in awe of your progress. I can only imagine how proud you must be to have lost and maintained so close to goal for so long. I bow.

Chickadeee, I’m so sorry to hear about your stress and I know how detrimental it is to our health to feel it. As someone that has problems with anxiety, I feel for you. I know it is hard to do, but when something happens that causes me to start stressing, I just have to keep telling myself that it is out of my control and worrying isn’t going to make it better. I know how tough that is to do, but it sometimes helps me. You need to stay healthy for DH!
I hear you on the measurements. Let me know if you figure out the inches of fat to pound equation. I can’t remember if I packed my tape and I used to measure monthly. I should probably pick up another one because it was older than I am (given to me by my mother). I know that the measuring has saved me many times when the scale was stubborn and I have an awful feeling that my departure from daily exercising to nadda these last months have really made a difference on the sad side of that equation.

Jacqui, Yay for only gaining ½ lb from Carb Day and already losing it! You rock! Woohoo on the 2.4 miles!
I think I was all confused (bewildered hah) about the “Today’s” meals and exercise which is why I was posting planned meals. Copying is a form of flattery, eh. As usual, I do everything backwards. From here on out, I will just post what I accomplished instead. I really want to post daily because that will keep me accountable. Yep, I am way too chatty. You would be amazed at how much I actually delete before I post. I’m such a private person so putting things out there in cyber space is a big leap for me. I’m trying to just let it all hang out, but that might not be so pretty.

I had a long rant about Carb Day and why I rebel against it personally then flipping the coin to say all the benefits, but I’m going to just say that I might try a carb day treat once a week to start. I love this way of eating and how it makes me feel, but I always get bored or the scale becomes stubborn and I go off the rails. If I can make myself get back on track within 24 hours or sooner, this might keep me going long term without that feeling of boredom. I might actually see Onederland in 2016! Wouldn’t that be lovely after 20+ years!!!? Can Carb Day include alcoholic beverages???

Well, in full disclosure, I had coffee ysd. I was going to just have it once a week because I don’t need it. There is just something about Sundays and/or living in a hotel that makes me want to have a cup. I think it is just an old habit with the husbands. So, I don’t do black and they had the mini-moos which have always amazed me because I didn’t like the idea that half and half was not refrigerated. But, after doing research, I am okay with it. Not particularly with the processed junk they add to it that I have no idea what it is, but knowing that it only needs to be refrigerated once it is opened if not used makes me feel better. All that fancy scientific yadda yadda that I have already forgotten. But, there’s more. I had 10 of those in my coffee ysd. They are 10 calories per and supposedly no carbs, but I’m sure 10 of them probably has something in total. So, this morning, I just had 5. Small steps...I wish I could drink it black. I’m already hyper, but thought it would kick off the Midol I took. And I'm getting sleepy at 6pm and in bed way too early which means I'm up way too early. I'm not sleeping well and I am so sleep deprived. I know this is catching up with me. Sorry to take this out on all of you...

Guess what y’all?!?! I had my first official exercise this morning since um late May, I think. I walked 2.8 miles. Slow and steady; about a 20 minute mile average. I did the Willamette River walk over to the park with all the trails (hard and soft) and did some of Pre’s Trail (named for local track star Steve Prefontaine). I love it because it is that soft material and I don’t get run over by the bikers on the hard trails. Anyway, according to Wiki, the soft trail is supposed to be 3.4 miles in total but I went all the way around AND there was a sign on the hard trail that said 26 miles to the left and 13.2 to the right so there must be more to it and I can’t wait to explore it all!!! And it was beautiful when it wasn’t near the Willamette, too. It had other little rivers with ducks and wild life that backed up to some beautiful houses. Man do I wish I could afford to live here! The weather is outstanding. In the 50’s in the mornings still with no humidity that I can feel. LOVE IT! Oh, I did go out without my cap and sunglasses so I got more than enough Vitamin D that I am surely lacking, but I’m fair so that is not an option in the future. My eye doctor said that the sun is horrible for my vision. I only needed reading glasses until recently so, yeah. Getting old sux.

Okay, enough rambling. I’m so excited to have exercised, but will not write a novel about it in the future. If I only have the mild discomfort that I do now with my foot, I am planning to go again tomorrow or ride the bike if it is too bad. Weds, I have appointments so I might not get to exercise again until Thursday. I also want to get back to strength training...said it now so you know what that means.

I hope you all have a fantastic day!

7/4 -- 241
7/18 - 238.6
7/19 - 238
7/20 - 236.2
Exercise - 2.8 miles walking

B: 2 boiled eggs; 3 mini sausage links
Coffee with 2 packets Stevia and 5 mini-moos (half and half)
I haven't been putting all the water I drink, but I try to get in a minimum of 4 bottles (16.9 ounces) a day so I think I am good there. When I add lemon, I usually drink twice that and may pick up some at the grocer next time I go.

Last edited by Bewildered; 07-20-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I feel so good! I got back to exercising today. I started out with 10 min on the treadmill, 15 on the recumbent bike, 10 on the elliptical and then back to the treadmill for a 5 min cool down. I was surprised I could go that long since I haven't been exercising much lately. I got to watching TV and the time flew by. I was switching channels between my soaps and The Doctor's. It just so happened that they had a segment on obesity vs fitness and they said an overweight person who exercises is healthier than a thin person who does not exercise. There is a limit though, because they were not talking about someone who is morbidly obese. I have read that there are so many health benefits to exercise, for thin people as well as overweight, that go far beyond weight loss. I feel so good after I exercise, but I always have to force myself to get down there and do it.

Bewildered, Wear those sunglasses! I have damage to my left eye and it is probably because I never wore sunglasses. I hate to have anything on my face like that, but now I wear them because the light is so bright for me it's blinding. All that walking you did is so good for you! I quit walking outside because now with all my health problems I'm concerned that I will go part way and have something happen. So I exercise at home where DH is here if something happens. One time years back we were walking in the park and my legs just got so bad I had to stop. DH was going to continue on and bring the car back, but after I rested a bit I was able to walk again. I didn't want to be sitting in the park alone. It's a wooded area and was deserted.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #143  
`

Great job Carol Sue on the exercise! I know with all of your health issues that it is easy to just do nothing. I completely understand you not wanting to walk outside. I have those feelings, too, that one day I will be miles away and not be able to get back. Mine is mostly arthritis and injuries right now...that I know of. I'm so used to not being able to walk outside in the summer that I'm really just enjoying it while I can. Plus there are so many people about walking/running/biking and I take my phone so hopefully if I pass out or become disabled, I can get help pretty quickly. Let's hope it doesn't come to that though. I was always overweight and really active and then obese and fairly active exercising almost daily so I have always believed that skinny fat thing. All of my husbands were thin, smoked, drank, etc and never exercised. I have to feel like I am healthier than them (well, I outlived one already) with their low body fat; let's hope so anyway.

Last edited by Bewildered; 07-20-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #144  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Just a quick check in...Its been a lot of highs and lots...lots of little cheating again, Im focused and on day 2 to try and get my 6 days of being on plan in. NSV I went to the movies yesterday and had a hot dog with no bun and water. I'm out every night this week so its going to be very interesting..

I'll be back later to do personals..so many posts to read...love the activity.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:04 PM   #145  

First I want to apologize for posting my personal challenge I am dealing with, I usually don't mention that kind of stuff. And thank you for all your good wishes and support (love this thread).

Bewildered you hit it on the head, worrying doesn't change the out come. I think in my case it is worry of the outcome, and I have to keep positive thoughts, that this is just a wake up call for him (not me).

Stress eating to me, is mindless chowing down and for no reason other than that feel good feeling at the moment. I will keep this in check, I found going in my sewing room keeps my mind busy.

I am sticking to my thoughts that a Carb Day is not for me, I allow myself something special once in a while, because I know that is reality for me. I am not going to say I am never eating another brownie in my life time, but I can control it (and not eat the whole pan full).

Reading the posts, everyone has there mountains to concur, and I am so glad we are growing in numbers. This is the place to be for support.

Today:

B: Eggs, coffee
S: cucumber, almonds
L: Ham roll up
S: yogurt, tomato, mozzarella cheese stick
D: Meatloaf, cauliflower, salad

I did find out that I have to limit my dairy, too much milk, cheese, cottage cheese and yogurt does not make me feel good. So, have to watch that.

And how does everyone get their coconut oil in their diet?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #146  

Carol Sue, great job on the exercise! What is that saying: It takes 21 days to form a habit? Exercise is an awfully good habit to have! And yes, jeans-shopping was always a challenge. Mom jeans, when they were in style, were great for me! Big and roomy with pleats though the hips and fitted and high-waisted at the top. Nothing has ever fit me as well! And thank you for the compliment!

Chickadeee, please don't apologize! You did exactly what we would want you to do! I would like to think that ANY of us could come on here and post what is going on in our lives, including the most personal things that have us concerned, and the others in our group would support us! I'm glad that you are cognizant that binge-eating is a possibility under the circumstances and you are countering it with logic! That's the best thing you can do!

As for coconut oil, I fry with it and warm it up and drizzle it over steamed veggies. Once I get the good" kind, I'll try to see what else I can do with it.

By the way, here is how much space a lb of fat takes up!

Bewildered, thank you! You can post your PLANNED meals and exercise if you like, especially if that helps keep you on track! Posting before or after, either one is fine as long as we eat well and get our exercise in! As for Carb Day, it doesn't work for everyone! It triggers some people, it raises blood sugar too much for diabetics, and others just don't want to veer from their healthy daily menus. But for me, just knowing that I have it and that I can eat whatever I want, whether that is healthy food, 1 or 2 treats (which is what I did on my last Carb Day), or entire meals of quick-carbs, works! There is no pressure to take a Carb Day, but if you want it, it's there! I don't drink coffee, but isn't it supposed to be healthy in moderation? I thought I read that. Yay on the exercise! I'm glad it worked out for you and what a wonderful setting you have there! Good job! (Don't overdo! You are aware from reading past posts that I'm a mother hen, right? Lol!)

Obie, yay on the NSV! Hey, that's a big one! Movies are so triggering! You did great!

Rennie and Mars, a and for each of you!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-20-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #147  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

how are you guys making your carb conscious meatloaf? I use onions (dehydrated) and it is so good! I put it in the slow cooker for 6 hours on high and it comes out brown, moist, and so flavorful. I bind it with an egg and sometimes use salsa or hot sauce....whatever I have! I'm all ears for new ideas!

I'm starting on a carb conscious plan I have used successfully in the path (not as strict as what you guys seem to be) but I love finding ways to take carbs out of the diet since I have a hard time losing weight on them. We also eat a killer mac and cheese substitute..smashed cauliflower, chipotle, and cheddar...pinch of dry mustard and salt as well. SO GOOD. The chipotle makes it.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #148  

Mary, welcome. I use beans in place of bread crumbs in my meatloaf and add lots of veggies.

And Yes, I love the cauliflower mac and cheese, yum. (I just had leftover cauliflower and eggs for breadfast.

Off to work for me.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:52 AM   #149  

Hi Mary! I'm not much of a cook but I'm good at looking up recipes, lol! The others here are great at making customized dishes, so they can tell you what works well and what doesn't work so well! I have to say, your recipes sound delicious! And as you can see, Chickadeee always has wonderful ideas for recipes!
Old 07-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #150  

Yay! Another half lb down! I sure am happy to see the lower side of the 190's! I'm hoping to leave the 200's behind forever, so the farther away I can get, the better!

Week 9: High 199.5, Low 198.5
6/28--199.5
6/29--199
6/30--199
7/1--198.5
7/2--198.5
7/3--198.5
7/4--199.5 Carb Day
Week 10: High 200.5, Low 196.5
7/5--200.5
7/6--200
7/7--198.5
7/8--197
7/9--196.5
7/10--197
7/11--197 Carb Day
Week 11: High 198.5, Low 195
7/12--198.5
7/13--198
7/14--198
7/15--196.5
7/16--196
7/17--195
7/18--195 Carb Day
Week 12:
7/19--195.5
7/20--195
7/21--194.5
7/22--
7/23--
7/24--
7/25--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:
Greek yogurt with Mio
2 fried eggs
3 slices of bacon
Mio water

Lunch:
Field greens and veggie salad, with walnuts, and tuna with mayo mixed in
Mio water

Snack:

Dinner:
Skinless BBQ chicken breast
Baked beans
Greek yogurt with Mio
Mio water

Today's Exercise:
3-mile walk around the track, 30 minutes (straight through) on elliptical, 3 sets of 12 reps each on 10 leg, waist, and back machines

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-22-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Closed Thread