Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #76  
maintaining since 9/2013

Rennie Is this an easier shift now, or a harder one? Hope it's easier! Re pear, well, I'd be eating that thing right now! They ripen quickly so you shouldn't have to wait long. I ran out of them, but I think i have enough carbs in my system from yesterday.

Re cheat day, I think you should stick to what works. The thing is to find what keeps us going long term. For me, I have to leave sweets out of my cheat days or I will be on my way back to craving them. I don't crave sweets anymore since I quit eating them and since I found this thread and slow carb WOE where i don't have to be hungry. (another run on sentence lol. My favorite HS English teacher , Ms Hilbert, warned me of that tendency, several decades ago )

Last edited by mars735; 07-12-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Rennie, I'm not familiar with that type of scale, but it is not important that you record a weight each and every day. However, it is important for you to eat on time because not doing so could cause you to binge and it's not worth that risk, especially when you are doing SO WELL! So just put DNW (did not weigh) for the days your scale won't cooperate. And I do remember how a cheat day did not work for you. I think you might have reserved one for special occasions like birthdays, and even then you might have just had a cheat meal, but you definitely did not take a cheat day each week. You knew what your body did and didn't need, and no, it does not need French fries! I take Colon Health probiotic, which I just pick up at Kroger. However, tomorrow I'm going to the GNC store to buy more vitamins so I may check out what they have.

Mars, thank you! I did get to the gym and exercise! I like your idea of telling yourself you can turn around and come back if you don't feel like exercising. Facing logic like that, along with Carol Sue's "you need 15 minutes of exercise every single day" and Obie's "you need most what you don't feel like doing" and also my signature quote, "A year from now what will I wish I had done today," I didn't have much of an argument for not going, lol! And all that wonderful advice is right, because I feel much better now!
Old 07-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Yesterday, I made a roaster full of stuffed cabbage rolls. 64 of them. They turned out so good and that's all we ate for dinner. No sides with it at all. They were so good and I lost count of how many I ate. I could eat them again for breakfast. When I get to the inner part of the head of cabbage the leaves are very small and I like to make little cabbage rolls, about 2 bites big. Your can just pick them up with your fingers like an appetizer and pop them in your mouth. That's what my step daughter was doing. LOL They are low carb, just a small bit of brown rice in them, but I sure ate a lot of them.

Rennie,
I never heard of your type of scale. Will it only weigh you once a day? You're doing very well. I'd like to think that this thread is helping you.

Jacqui, I started taking Probiotics a couple weeks ago but I don't notice any difference. I am taking Tru Biotics. I first bought a 45 day supply, then I was in Walmart and saw a 30 day bottle that had a $2 coupon attached so I bought that, too. Once I am finished with these I will not buy any more if I don't notice a difference. Maybe my gut bacteria is good and I don't really need it. What difference did you notice?

Mars, I never WANT to exercise but I want to want to, if that makes sense. It seems that once I get started I go quite a bit longer than I originally intended. I am usually watching TV and then I look down and am surprised at how many minutes I did without even realizing it. It's just getting in that first step. I keep some exercise clothes in the exercise room so I can just go in there and change if I get the urge to do it.

I think the reason pears are so good for weight loss is the fiber. To me, the texture just feels like fiber. I bought some of the little cups yesterday and also a can of pears, in juice, no sugar added. That grossed DH out. He likes the thick syrup on canned fruit, and would probably add more sugar to it. LOL There's nothing wrong with liking the firmer ones. Everyone's tastes are different. I like to bite into it and have the juice run down my chin. LOL

Chickadeee, I think I like the treadmill so much because it is just walking, which is something we do naturally every day and it doesn't seem like exercise to me. I always had a hard time balancing myself on my stepper so that's why the one with the handles worked for me. After my knee got bad, I just couldn't push down hard enough on that right leg without pain, so I got rid of it. When I got the elliptical I was afraid I would have the same problem but I keep it on the lowest setting and shift my body weight back and forth from one side to the other until I get going.

I think fat does have weight, but just not as much as muscle does. Also, I think that the shrinking waist line is your body adjusting to weight that you lost before and I think the inches will come from where you needed it the most. Once your body adjusts, you should start losing again. I don't know if any of this is true, but I feel better telling myself that. LOL You menu is always healthy and it doesn't seem as if you're eating very much.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #79  
maintaining since 9/2013

Jacqui I think there is an extra plus to getting to the gym when motivtion is esp. low. Maybe Obie's words, that it's most needed. But wtg, and I hope the the scale rewards that extra effort today!

Rennie I think you are in the process of catching up & surpassing me! Keep up the great work. I hope you did ok with the long gap of not eating. I get nervous about long gaps between meals, probably more nervous than i need to, lol. You had a good coach there with your sons--yay for them ! I'm not sure what to tell you for your scale. Maybe you could post a new thead with that question? I've read mentions of it on 3FC and someone might have just the solution you are seeking.

Carol Sue, How did Rusty do with your grandson's visit? The cabbage roll ups sound so good! I started adding a little shredded cabbage to my green salad and it is so good, and makes it more filling too. Have you ever tried quinoa? It's supposed to be healthier than rice--more protein, fiber, calcium, other things that I can't recall. It's a seed rather than grain but reminds me of couscous, has a slight nutty taste. Might have a lower glycemic index. I read on a Slow Carb site that it's 'transitional' so technically permitted according to that site. That said, you would probably need to sneak into DH's food !

I think the stepper could aggravate knees and am watching out for that, hip also. I do not even bother to get into gym clothes, lol. Someday my workouts will be demanding enough to break a sweat but not yet. But my usual attire is jeans that have some stretch.

re probiotics, I eat Bubbie's sauerkraut, which is prepared a certain way that keeps the good bacteria so it's considered probiotic. I hate pills so this is the best I can do. I plan to ferment my own cabbage--I've heard it's really easy. I put it on my omelet & sometimes eat a little out of the jar. It's pretty mild because there is no vinegar.

chickadeee I love reading your menus! It actually sounds like you incorporate exercise in your daily activities. Do you feel you need more, eg a certain part of your body that needs it? There is always a way to augement, such as strapping some 2 lb weight to arms or legs. (can be velcroed to limbs). I guess more is better, but it needs to feel like something you enjoy, or at least enjoy how you feel after you get going with it. I can't thank you enough for the mini stepper idea.

I think Jacqui you are right about the exercise helping me. Today I weighed just a few ounces up from pre-Carb Day, at 167.5. And it was a Carb Day that I was too scared to tally, calorie-wise.

Last edited by mars735; 07-13-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #80  
maintaining since 9/2013

I ran out of pears and decided to skip a trip to the store. Sunday evening shopping can get me into trouble. It's the opposite of the Friday 'I deserve a reward'. More like 'I deserve a boost to face Monday' Searching my cupboards for carb food reminded me once again how much easier it is not to be tempted by anyone else's food at home. All I came up with is the quinoa, so it will be an interesting experiment to see if I stay energized and happy, as with the pears. I sprinkled a little bit in my lunch salad and dinner chili, and have a little more as an evening snack if needed.

My plan for the doctor appt is to ask the medical assistant not to tell me my weight, that I know it is up and am working on it, and that I weigh regularly. That should do it--she's a nice person and I suspect she thinks it's helpful to comment. I've been in that office in the past on the way up in weight, so I think i'm self-conscious that she or the doc will think I am regaining and in denial. My own mind games here! At least I'm no longer procrastinating 'until I get the weight off'!

Last edited by mars735; 07-13-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #81  

Down a half lb of Carb Day water weight! That makes me happy because I added extra weights at the gym yesterday and I only drank 3 of my bottles of water yesterday instead of the usual 4-5, so I was concerned my body just might decide to hold onto the extra water! I have errands to run so I will be back later to catch up on personals!

Week 9: High 199.5, Low 198.5
6/28--199.5
6/29--199
6/30--199
7/1--198.5
7/2--198.5
7/3--198.5
7/4--199.5 Carb Day
Week 10: High 200.5, Low 196.5
7/5--200.5
7/6--200
7/7--198.5
7/8--197
7/9--196.5
7/10--197
7/11--197 Carb Day
Week 11:
7/12--198.5
7/13--198
7/14--
7/15--
7/16--
7/17--
7/18--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:
2 eggs fried in coconut oil
3 slices of bacon
Greek yogurt with Mio
Mio water

Lunch:
Large field greens and veggies salad, topped with grilled chicken, black beans, walnuts, with ranch dressing
Mio water

Snack:

Dinner:
Crockpot meatballs in Manwich sauce
Steamed broccoli and cauliflower
Mio water

Today's Exercise:
2-mile walk, 20 minutes HIIT elliptical, 3 sets of 12 reps each on 10 arm and chest machines

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-13-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #82  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Mars, the schedule is about the same work wise. I'm just scheduled for a few hours more on the front end. Thanks for asking ... I'm praying for better days to come I actually weighed myself when I got up last night for work. (couldn't resist) and when I came home from work, my weight was the same. However, all I had in my system was 52ozs of water so I'm happy. Mars, do you eat the sauerkraut daily? Does it help? I don't like sauerkraut because of the vinegar, yet I love vinegar ... weird I know. But I'm gonna look for this one and see if I like it. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Rennie I think you are in the process of catching up & surpassing me! Keep up the great work. I hope you did ok with the long gap of not eating.
I think this is just all of the junk that I have put in my body, just that beginning loss thing, you know . Now from my experience if I can keep this going for 3 weeks without any major slip-ups. It will slow down and that may be real weight loss.

Jacqui, I have weighed daily for over 5 years now I use to weigh multiple times a day, just obsessed. But the scale I have links right up to MFP. Happy to say, It didn't record my weight on there until I came home from work so that's good to know

I love cabbage Carol Sue The scale will weigh as many times as you step on it. I just wasn't sure whether or not it would record a new weight for the same day, or edit the previous weigh in and it did neither thank goodness

I'm glad you all are here

Last edited by love2b150; 07-13-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #83  
~Rennie

It's Monday

Week 01:
7/10 ~ 175.5
7/11 ~ 174.2 (-1.3)
7/12 ~ 173.2 (-1.0)
7/13 ~ 172.2 (-1.0) only .3 lower than where I started 7/1 and 1.5 higher than on 7/3
7/14 ~
7/15 ~
7/16 ~

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:
32oz fresh lemon water
20ozs warm honey water

Snack
one slice of Cracker Barrel white cheddar cheese (my boss gave it to me *hungry)

Lunch:
2 boiled eggs w/ salad dressing
1 cup cantaloupe
4 pk of Lance lemon cookies (I wanted something sweet I think TOM is coming back)
32oz water

Snack:
Lentil Crackers w/pb
sunflower seed kernals

Dinner:
turkey & provolone wrapped in iceberg lettuce w/mustard
20oz water

not a great eating day for sure ...

Last edited by love2b150; 07-13-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #84  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

I'm going to come back and do personals but Jacqui happy you made it to the gym

Friday was cheat day. I had sushi which makes me bloated. I think I'm going to put that on the banned list for a while since I'd like to eat it because I want to and not because its a habit, which is what its become.

Saturday went to lunch with a girlfriend at one of my favorite restaurants. They have a great menu that is very low carb friendly..I got fried zucchini chips, and some other stuff and just left the bread and carb-y side on the plate. The fried zucchini did not go down well. It seems longer I eat healthy low carb the less my stomach tolerates bad stuff no matter how good it tastes. Sunday I had a mild fall off the wagon, another habit I need to deal with. It isn't big but its a I feel I should eat thing because its sunday afternoon not because I want to if that makes sense. I try and eat intuitively..and this is not intuitive eating.....

The scale was up a lb, but TOM arrived on the same day I weighed in so I'm gonna chalk that up to TOM.

Still doing the 21 day fix...I thought after a week I would be tired of it, but was actually looking forward to it. I also managed not to be completely exhausted after and I have more energy. I'm actually starting to plan what I'll do after so I can keep up the momentum.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I was getting VERY hungry after my workouts and having issues managing food the rest of the day.This morning I made paleo muffins, I only brought 2 to work. I was thinking 3 but honestly I only need 2 and it worked...No more wanting to eat my foot by 11am. No more carbs (or very little) the rest of the day.

Last edited by Obsidianbbw; 07-13-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #85  
~Rennie

Obie, sounds like you are putting things in perspective on this journey, way to go, learning/knowing what to do and doing it I need your voice in my head
Old 07-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #86  

Yesterday,

B: Burger, cheese, bacon, onion rings, salad, coffee
S: Bean brownie
L: skip
S: PB celery
D: Sloppy joe meat, salad

Ok, two questions, how do you guys feel about carb free pork rinds? And has anyone tried the Oikos Triple Zero Greek Yogurt - I am trying to figure out if it is ok, I see it has stevia leaf extract, I usually buy plain greek yogurt and add something to it.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #87  
~Rennie

Chickadeee, I love barbecue pork rinds . I buy them at Dollar Tree. I haven't had Greek yogurt in awhile. I buy the CARBmaster yogurt from Kroger due to being diabetic. ... Just looked at the nutrition facts on the Oikos Triple Zero Greek Peach Yogurt, I may try it

Last edited by love2b150; 07-13-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #88  

Carol Sue, those cabbage rolls sound delicious! As for the probiotics, I don't think I noticed much of a difference at all until I ran out, and then I felt so heavy through the middle, and sluggish, and irritable. It could just be that I'm menopausal, lol, but it coincided with the probiotics running out. I've been eating lots of Greek yogurt, so that really should do the trick. I was just taking probiotics as an extra gut-healthy step. However, I didn't end up getting any today, even though I picked up my vitamins from the GNC store. However, I did pick up black cohosh to help with hot flashes!

Mars, yay on the exercise helping to move the scale, and I have no doubt it did help! Keep it up! :

Chickadeee, I used to buy bbq pork rinds also. (Couldn't quite stomach the non-bbq type.) If you crave a crunchy snack, those work! I haven't really been snacking this time around, so I kind of forgot about them. I eat Oikos Greek yogurt, but I don't think I've seen the Triple-Zero type. I'll have to look for that.

Obie, TOM will definitely affect your scale like that but hopefully you'll have a post-TOM whoosh! Good job on keeping up with your exercise plan and on figuring out how to manage your exercise hunger! That's a HUGE plus!

Rennie, congrats on being another lb down! Great job! You are on fire! I'm glad your scale worked out fine! Wow, 5 years of daily weigh-ins! That's really fantastic! Of course, you don't want to do it multiple times a day, but once a day is a really good habit to help you stay on top of things!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-13-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #89  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Jacqui, I have given up on yogurt. I like it but it seems that I reach for other things instead. Lately I have thrown out a few that went out-of-date, so I'm going to quit buying it. If I want it, I will just buy one. I used to put the regular yogurt in the freezer and I liked it better frozen than not.

I might try the BBQ pork rinds. DH makes me mad because every time I buy them he eats some then says he doesn't like them. If he doesn't like them, he should just leave them for me and eat his own snacks!

Rennie, you are doing an amazing job! This is the old Rennie....once you get going you can't be stopped.

Aldi's put the Pumpkin Seed Tortillas on clearance so I guess they're not going to carry them anymore. They had 5 bags left and I bought them all! LOL They will keep for a long time unopened. I love them. I will just have to space them out and not go hog wild.

Where did you get lentil crackers? I would like them, too.

Chickadeee, I get a kick out of you having a burger for breakfast. DH is funny about eating certain foods at the "wrong" meal. He hates to see people eat eggs for dinner, but I can eat anything anytime, as long as it's not right before bed. Yesterday he was grossed out because I ate cabbage rolls for breakfast. It was what I was hungry for!!

Obie, I'm surprised to hear that your workouts leave you hungry. Exercise usually dulls my appetite. You must have really been burning all your stored glucose. I took a look at 21 day fix. It's a pretty tough program. I'm glad to hear it's working well for you.

Mars, when is your doctor's appointment? Mine is this afternoon. I am more worried about my blood pressure than my weight, although a weight loss would bring the blood pressure down. When I go to the doctor I take an extra BP pill so it's not too high. They always want to change my meds and I would rather get it down with exercise and weight loss rather than more pills. But I have to do something to make that happen.....
Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #90  
~Rennie

Jacqui, I was gonna get some black cohash on my cousins recommendation but the side effects made me not buy it. Have you taken it before? I didn't know Greek yogurt helps with the digestive system. I just thought it was good for you . I did pick up some today after reading Chickadeee's post. I got the vanilla flavor, because of the extra potassium and protein. Since I need a banana tree in this house with all of the kids and I can't seem to get enough protein in LOL Jacqui, I couldn't stomach the plain kind either, yuk! The HOT spicy flavors reall good but they make my lips burn ... on the weigh in's, it also helps you to say (when you're feelings are in the slumps) that you (I) don't care, or I'll do better tomorrow and tomorrow never comes But right now my head is in the game :nod:

Carol Sue, I have eaten yogurt with a month old expiration date and they have still been good. A lot of products have a sell by date to get it off the shelves, but the product is still good. It's your call but I'd check it before tossing it out. I've haven't had any problems with it. Carol Sue that's a thought, to freeze the yogurt, thanks I'm sad, Aldi only had 4 bags when I bought mine so they are probably gone now. And it's too far to drive just for chips. I had dropped my son off at the movies, Aldi is right down the road. I got the Lentil crackers from either Walmart or Harris Teeter. I bought some rice thins made by Nabisco, they are awful. I don't know what to put on them to make them likable. LOL, my husband doesn't care what you eat for breakfast or dinner, but he won't switch them. If the boys fix breakfast for dinner I'll eat but he won't he'll find something else, silly, smh. Exercise always made me hungry also, but I'd get a smoothie at the gym to help or my son would make a nice thick protein smoothie when we got home. Carol Sue I hope your appointment went well.

Chickadeee, I like the flavor of the vanilla Triple Zero. It's not as bitter. I wanted the strawberry but I don't like pieces of left over fruit in my yogurt and I didn't know if there's was like that. I may get it anyway and just strain it

Mars, I have to find a retailer for the Bubbie's sauerkrat. Walmart and Food Lion didn't have it.

Obie
Closed Thread