Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #196  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Thanks Jacqui , this is me ---> most afternoons/evenings, right before bed, I get "hungry," but either I force myself to ignore it, or I drink water (knowing it's going to make me have to get up in the night to go to the bathroom). My go to snack was popcorn but the sodium, then it was grapes but the sugar (can't win)

oh and I have the pu'erh tea that the article was talking about. It was $36 at teavana. I didn't see a difference while drinking it.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #197  
`

Jacqui, So glad your RA didn’t flare up from overdoing the exercise! I forgot to commend you on your workout ysd. Belated wowza! I lucked up on the hunky, extra nice men while getting my vehicle serviced. Some were waiting on their vehicles, too and it was just my lucky day. But, the service department guys weren’t too shabby either.

Mars, I feel you on the hunger. I felt that way, too and probably ate too much cabbage for dinner. Oh and loud noises affect me too. I have dog like hearing so my ears are really sensitive.

Mary, so sorry to hear about your allergic reaction and then having to wait to medicate. Oh my! Congrats on the scale movement! Yours might be like mine with that memory thing. I sometimes have to step on it while holding on to something to get it to re-set itself then weigh again to get it to unstick from the previous days weight. You may have been losing a lb a day instead of the 4 all at once or it could have just big a big water whoosh. Either way, Yay! We all have our rituals before weighing. I even blow my nose first.

Chickadee, wow, that is a lot of kale! I wish I could grow cauliflower. I would save a fortune especially in these places that sell it by the pound. I wish I had ideas, but the only time I ever ate kale was in a bagged salad and it was awful. I guess I should try it again in the fresh version? All this talk about kale chips makes me want to try it again once I get an oven.

Carol Sue, I hope your flesh catches up with your spirit, soon! You are worth it lady!!! The PB on a knife idea sounds pretty good. I’m assuming you mean a butter knife, right? Because I have to lick every bit off and don’t want to cut my tongue off. That would keep portion control in tact because it would probably keep falling off if I get the huge glob that I normally do. This is probably going to shock you, but I have never eaten hummus before. I’m not a big bean eater (it IS beans, right?) because I spent too much of my childhood helping my grandmother in the fields and all the aftermath as she was always canning and cooking. Mainly, I just haven’t been around anyone that eats it. I didn’t even try guac until I had it at a Chipotle in another state a few years ago. Man, what I was missing!!! Love that stuff now. I’ll look up the Tylenol Arthritis. I think I am just immune to everything OTC now and new ingredients will sometimes give me that placebo effect.

Woohoo Rennie! You go girl! 160’s baby!!!

I had my first uptick which wasn't fun to see but is all part of the journey. It could have been the enormous water intake, too many seasonings on too much cabbage or hormones since my body is in flux right now. I also gave much thought to Carb Day and went to bed thinking I would wait until the scale quit showing me love. Now I guess that means tomorrow maybe? I will try to be gentle...

Last edited by Bewildered; 07-23-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #198  
`

Have a great evening everyone!

Week 1
7/18 - 238.6
7/19 - 238
7/20 - 236.2
7/21 - 235.2
7/22 - 234.8
7/23 - 235.2

Today’s Exercise - Exercise bike: 5.3 Miles; upper body weights routine (10 pounders)

Ysd’s Menu
B: Egg Cheese Sausage Scramble with 1 T butter
L: Hamburger patty, romaine, tomato, onion, mayo, dill pickle relish, mustard
D: Cabbage steamed in EVOO, onion and cut up chicken breast

p.s. I think I will keep my stats at the lower number for now unless I have to put my scale in a time out.

Last edited by Bewildered; 07-23-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #199  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Who here eats tofu? Is it Chickadeee? I have never tried it so today I got some at Walmart. It is baked teriyaki tofu. I tried it cold and also warm. It's ok, has a mild taste and taste better than I expected, but now it seems to have left a taste in my mouth. I don't know if I would buy it again because I like eat meat for my protein. Sometimes they warn against soy products.

Mars
, I guess maybe the starvation mode thing works differently for different people, like other things. We can agree to disagree.

Jacqui, it is not cravings with me. I don't crave things. I think I am a compulsive eater and just eat things because they appear in front of me. What I need is to be put somewhere and only have the food available that someone brings me.

Rennie, I can honestly say I never feel hunger. I don't go long enough without food to let myself get hungry. Grazing has always been a problem for me and I always seem to go back to that. I have to be very concious of popping things into my mouth. It seems to just happen automatically. Every time I bend my elbow my mouth opens. LOL I know, I am just not taking this seriously right now.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #200  
`

I haven't tried tofu either...I'm so sheltered. LOL
Old 07-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #201  
~Rennie

Thanks Bewildered Enjoy carb day

Carol Sue, I too just eat when I want something most times. But here lately I have tried to be mindful of that. But just like you ---> Grazing has always been a problem for me and I always seem to go back to that. but I use the kids as my excuse because they always have or want something I too have to be very conscious of popping things into my mouth and yes It does seem to just happen automatically most times.

I have never tried tofu either Bewildered and don't think I will, nope not for me Carol Sue what made you try it? I know your hubby didn't taste it!
Old 07-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #202  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Rennie, thank you for that info on the pu-ehr tea. Goodness, I didn't realize it was so expensive. I know if I'm going to dish out $36 for tea, I want to see some benefits!

Bewildered, thanks, but I do think I will have to stay away from the negative reps, or at least give it a long hard thought before trying it again, lol! Yes, the upticks are no fun, but they are out of our control. Sodium, hormones, sore muscle repair, we're battling all of it, and although we might not win the individual battles, we are going to win the war!

Carol Sue, in my college days when I was a vegetarian, I used to eat tofu hotdogs. If I added mustard and relish, it worked. Other than that, I was not a tofu fan. Ah, compulsive eating, hm, that's a tough one, requiring mindfulness and willpower. More than once when I've started a diet, I have forgotten that I was on one and popped something into my mouth before silently cussing at myself, lol! And once you do get the mindful part down, it still takes that dogged determination. Yep, that's a "gotta want it" thing. I know one of the main reasons you want to lose weight is to get off glimepiride. Obviously, that's not a big enough reason, because if it were, you'd be absolutely committed to making it happen. So, what are your other reasons? What is THE most important reason, and how important is it to you? How real is it to you? I'm asking because unless you have an emotional disorder that leads you to eat compulsively, it's a decision you're making, and in making that decision, you're simultaneously making the decision to ignore the reasons you want to lose weight. So how important are those reasons to you? I know you don't want to gain weight, but maybe deep down you're satisfied where you are. If you are satisfied, shouldn't you stop beating yourself up about it and just make the decision to maintain instead of lose? Goodness knows, maintaining is just as hard! On the other hand, if you aren't satisfied, somehow you have to get your mojo back! You have to change that voice in you that tells you it's okay to eat whatever, whenever. You have to commit to eating well, to making your body healthy. :

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-23-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #203  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

Carol Sue...you just reached ONEderland- CONGRATS! Maybe that is why you are having such a tough time mentally? That is a big milestone.

I love the soy burgers...not garden burger, the other big brand of tofu. Morningstar? They are quick to heat up and taste kind of like McDonald's. Regular Tofu is something I haven't had since high school. I had to try it then. That was almost 20 years ago. Maybe I should try again. I'm sure it's better now. I am a little leery of soy, too. I refused to eat it when I was prejudgers.

chickadee- I also forgot to tell you if you are having problems eating all the kale now, you can freeze it. I just bought some from the freezer section. I was kind of surprised to see it there!

Bewildered- I lost a lot of weight between my 2 pregnancies and I was such a nerd about it- I had a log and if I gained weight I would add up my weight lost divided by my weeks to remind myself I was still losing a good bit. I had to weigh daily for the diet and it helped me realize sometimes your scale is just evil LOL - we have time of the month, too. I would always start weighing more. The good news with that was, if I kept with my good eating, once TOM was over, I was down a good bit of weight from before it started. I know some people probably think weighing daily is excessive, but I think it helps to see sometimes it just happens and doesn't mean we are a failure.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #204  
~Rennie

Jacqui I just read that you need to drink it one hour after you eat and I think I was drinking it before my meal. I got the tip from Woman's World. I love that magazine but every tip I have tried from there has often not worked. Either I don't do it correctly or I don't like the foods that they are having. Oh my Jacqui, that Mother-hen surely came out of you

Mary I do like the Morning Star burgers they are delicious I guess I never read the ingredients. My cousin would bring them over when she'd come and would always have me try what she made.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #205  
`

Rennie, Thanks, I'm going to channel Jacqui and try to be mindful of my carbs along with knowing that I will have to confess on Saturday. I’m with you. Someone would have to sneak the tofu in for me to try it, but I am curious what it tastes like. Carol Sue?

Jacqui, you are so right! We will win this war!!! Yeah, those negative reps are brutal (and that is just by looking at how to do them because I wouldn’t be so bold as you). I’ll be mother hen and just say be careful if you ever do try them again. I have had my share of muscle injuries and my last one took over a year to heal (I hope it is healed ) and I thought I was going to have to have surgery.

Mary, I am a numbers person and tech nerd, too, so you know I’m keeping spreadsheets on everything. I used to weigh daily and pay more attention to the averages to make me feel better and to compare it to my cycle. Now, I’m like 3 months on, 1 month off so I think I’m in peri. I’m a year past the average age of menopause so I assume it is coming. Either way, my hormones are and have always been insane. I’ll probably keep weighing daily for now when I’m not on the road. If it gets to be too depressing, I may go to weekly. I just don’t want to miss that whoosh. LOL
Old 07-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #206  

Default Green Skinned, Just Kidding

I wonder if a person ate too much Kale they would turn green!

Mars: Kale chips it is, I am going to try them. I see they sell them in the store for 6.99 for like a 6oz package, and they are all broken. That will be my project to make those.

Rennie: You seem to be doing good. Ever since going on low carb, I don't get hungry often, like the belly growling hungry, thanks to no empty carbs. I can remember having coffee and toast for breakfast and by 9am, I was really hungry and I would be at work and looking for anything and of course someone always brought in cookies and donuts and that is where I would go, only to be hungry again in 30 minutes. Now, I can honestly say, they had a Brat cookout at work Wednesday with all the trimmings, and desserts galore and I didn't participate, I chose not to, I am holding out. I now know I can pick and choose when I want to eat.

Dairy Fairy- Soy, I use to avoid it, now I have some once in while. But I have always heard the soy you get isn't always the stuff that is good for you, so you have to watch for the stuff that man has interfered with.

Bewildered: Boy, here I am going to comment and should just be saying this to myself, it will all fall together, I think sometimes our bodies think they are being fooled and compensate for our lifestyle changes, the body thinks we are tricking it - you have to say, body this is the new us so work with me.

Carol Sue: You know what you need to do, and maybe you just need to regroup and try a new approach, we can get burned out on things, so just take inventory and fine what you want to do and what you will be happy with. Breathe in and breathe out.

Jac: you should create a blog or give lectures or something, you are a book of information. (were you a coach in a previous life) I find myself thinking when I am bummed, what would Jac suggest. You go girl.

Chickadeee: Oh, wait that is me!!!! I can hardly wait til measurement day this weekend. I feel I am locked in, although I feel great and my clothes are loose. My DH told me the other day he sees a difference, get this, he says - your legs aren't as big! LOL I just can't exercise, I am sorry and I am hoping that just getting empty carbs out of my life will be enough. I am a big girl and I know that sitting on my butt at a desk all day is not good for me, so I hope that the yard work and housework make up for it. (but I know I need to do more) It just is not so easy to drop pounds as it was in my 40's, so I have learned to accept inches. I think I have really heavy organs and bones. But I keep at it. And as far as my DH and his health, I know it is his to worry about, but I want to make it better and take every chance of it going for a turn for the worse away and I can't.
But thank you guys, this thread is great, and I love reading everyone's stories, I just have quiet days when I just want to read. The good thing tomorrow is Friday.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #207  
Bring sexy back

I had started doing the DASH plan with my hubby but he was weighing daily and I was not. We did the same things but at the end of a few months, he had lost 40 lbs and I had lost ZERO. I couldn't believe it! So I have to weigh every day because my luck the weekly weigh in will be before I start my period and I will get really discouraged and want to quit. I am running on sheer willpower right now. At some point I need the whoosh LOL I don't want to miss it either.

I just had my son take a before pic of me for to compare when I show off my hot bod on here some day.

I have never read the women's magazines but they always have some "i lost this much weight by eating cantaloupe" or something crazy. You gotta question how bad the person was eating before. Like my husband has done great but he ate horribly before. He has amazing collagen in his skin naturally so he doesn't even have that skin flap. If I saw his story in a magazine I would be amazed, but knowing him and his body I have to say he has a lot on his side before starting...good genes, strong muscle base from baseball, and great skin. That's the part they don't mention when they tell you they lost weight just by eating a grapefruit in the morning!
Old 07-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #208  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Chickadeee, I just went to Aldi's and bought a pkg of baby kale! LOL Guess what I will be having for lunch tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #209  
Bring sexy back

chickadee...have you thought about a fitbit? I got a flex on eBay (complete) for $50...thought "why not!" I can tell you that a day of housework and clothes folding is a full 10000 steps. You can definitely be active without actively exercising. I probably get 1000 steps a day just from peeing out all this WATER!!!

I volunteered at a post surgery rehab for almost a year and it really changed my mind on exercise and activity. Those things you are doing in your garden and while cleaning really really add up! You could tell the couch potatoes vs. the piddlers...piddlers being people who do little projects around the house, walk dogs, tend a garden, etc. The people who did small activities got better so much faster! They were so much stronger! NONE of these people were marathoners, but the activity of a good life was enough. It made me realize I wanted to stay active and it didnt' mean I had to do traditional exercise per se. I am sure you are active in your way and you can use a fit bit to prove it
Old 07-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #210  
`

Chickadeee, it sounds like you have a great plan and I bet those new measurements are going to rock! ITA with Mary, that it is amazing how much we do around the house and yard. I loved my Fitbit and was always so surprised at how many steps I took in a day just running around the house. In those days, I didn't do near as much official exercise because I was always exercising. Owning a house and land is a bunch of work!!!

Oh, I forgot to say, Mary, don't get me started on men and dieting. They always make me jealous how easy it is for them to lose weight or not gain it to begin with. So aggravating!

Last edited by Bewildered; 07-23-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Closed Thread