Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #31  

Today:

B: Eggs, veggies, small salad, coffee
S: String Cheese, almonds
L: Chicken roll ups
S: Yogurt
D: slice of kale corn bread, protein drink.
(ok, we have a garden full of kale, so looking for different uses for it, made kale bread-it was good for a treat - rest will go in the freezer)
Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #32  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidianbbw View Post
I've stayed on plan all week and been working out, but Pre-TOM seems to be happening and I literally haven't gained or lost an ounce in 3 days.

Blah

I think I need to diversify my foods a little I think some of my cravings are more to do with eating the same thing over and over again, rather than a real need for a forbidden food.
Hang in there Obsidianbow!! That sounds like water weight.

jean1234 Welcome! Re keeping a diary, I track on MFP (myfitnesspal.com), but mostly use it as a planning tool. On MFP you can make notes at the bottom. I look forward to hearing about your progress.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #33  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui_D View Post
I think it was Carol Sue who posted that during a stress test once, she thought she couldn't keep going and the doctor said she could, that she just didn't want to. That stuck with her, but it stuck with me too. Now when I think I don't have the energy to go exercise or can't continue on the elliptical, etc., I think of that.

Funny I used to avoid any kind of ab work..and alot of other things and I read an article by the guy who started p90x and said the thing you're avoiding is probably the thing you need to do the most. I started doing pilates and absolutely love it.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

So I'm doing the 21 day fix which means I'm hungrier...so by about 11:30 (i eat breakfast at about 8:30) i am ready to eat my foot..its low carb...so at least i'll be on plan.

I think it was on one of the slow carb threads someone posted zucchini chips, so I'm going to make those this weekend and use them as a snack, maybe with some guacamole. I also need to pick up some string cheese. I'm hoping the humidity breaks.

I was thinking about bypassing my cheat day, but I think that will make me a lil crazy, so I'll just not go crazy, no alcohol, rice, potatoes or pasta

Last edited by Obsidianbbw; 07-08-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Jean! I'm glad you're joining us! I'm sorry for the mix-up on the other thread, but I'm glad you found us here! As for dairy, I have changed my slow carb diet list on this thread to include it. I think you should too if it doesn't trigger you and it's one of the few foods that doesn't cause you pain! I am allowing it because I've decided to start eating yogurt since it's so healthy. I was already using shredded cheese in salads and I can use string cheese as a little something before I work out if I need to. Pretty much all that's left for me is milk and butter, and if I need to cook with those, I know I will, so there's really no reason for me to keep dairy on the avoid list! I do know I have to be careful with cheese though. I think I could eat a whole block at one sitting, lol! But knowing that, I will be careful with it. So absolutely, by all means, keep dairy! It works for you!

Obie, thank you for another inspirational quote for doing the exercise we might otherwise not do! "The thing you're avoiding is probably the thing you need to do the most." I like that! I will have to look up the 21 Day Fix and see exactly what makes you want to eat you foot, lol!

Mars, ohhhh noooo, this is between you and Rennie, lol! And I'm thinking the prize may have to be bragging rights, haha!

Carol Sue, ooooo, snap peas with olive oil, salt, and pepper sounds like a wonderful snack!

Chickadeee, you did well with the rhubarb dessert and I'm sure you'll manage the kale cornbread too! (I got my eye on you, lol!)
Old 07-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #35  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Morning all scale is finally moving....I honestly think it just took my body 3 days to deal with all the carbs I binged on. Blah...

Feel like i"m not getting enough veg, so I made cauliflower and broccoli pesto (from the jar) and I am armed with snacks today.

Hope everyone is having a great day.....
Old 07-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 217/194/150

Height: 5'3

Rennie, I forgot to answer your question about the pears. I think the best fiber is going to come from fresh pears because they include the skin, but it takes some patience to get them soft and juicy the way I like them. When I was in the hospital they were giving me canned pears and I continued that for a long time after I got home and was losing well at the time. I got the package with 6 small cups of pears packed in juice, not syrup. It's a very small portion, and I think a bigger portion might spike blood sugar. I am not really much of a fruit eater and have gotten away from buying those cups. I should have kept up that diet they had me on because I've stopped losing since I got away from it.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #37  

Good morning, everyone!

Obie, yay on the scale moving for you again! That's always a good feeling!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #38  

I am down another half lb today!

Week 9: High 199.5, Low 198.5
6/28--199.5
6/29--199
6/30--199
7/1--198.5
7/2--198.5
7/3--198.5
7/4--199.5 Carb Day
Week 10:
7/5--200.5
7/6--200
7/7--198.5
7/8--197
7/9--196.5
7/10--
7/11-

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:
2 eggs fried in coconut oil
2 slices of bacon
Greek yogurt with Mio
Mio water

Lunch:
Large field greens and veggies salad, topped with turkey and walnuts, with ranch dressing
Mio water

Snack:

Dinner:
Leftover steak
Green beans
Field greens and veggie salad, with ranch dressing
Mio water

Today's Exercise:
2-mile walk around track, 20 minutes HIIT elliptical, 3 sets of 12 reps each on 10 leg, waist, and back machines (I'm up to 100 lbs on the seated leg press! Compare that to a big 5 lbs on the overhead shoulder press, lol! That machine hates me! )

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-10-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #39  
maintaining since 9/2013

Morning all! I'm running late so will not be able to be as gabby as I would like! obsidianbow and Jacqiu Glad to hear your scales are moving! Obsidian, those veggies sound yummy with pesto! Do you make your own pesto?

I can feel a difference in my mood and mental function from my 2 pieces/day of fruit. I'm going to see just 1 piece will do the trick now. Carol Sue thanks for you good info, once again! I'll keep the pre-packaged pears in mind as a quick carb rescue.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #40  
Jean

S/C/G: 206/202/180

Well, this isn't working, after two days I had a horrible night, so hungry I couldn't sleep, every bone in my body aching, exhausted but awake. Got up and had a couple tablespoons of sunbutter thinking it was low carb enough not to ruin a good day.

My calories have been around 1200 and my carbs around 80, which in the past seemed to work well for me, but not any longer. Every time I try to reduce my carbs this much I literally get sick and stop sleeping. I've been through carb flu and this is a version of that only way worse. I think my adrenals are shot after having been sick with IC for the last 1.5 years. I'm finally feeling great, but maybe my body isn't in full agreement with that.

And then only down .4, usually in the first few days the water weight comes off at least. Sigh...

I think I need to trust that I can eat larger meals three or four times a day and if they are slow carb based, that I will lose some weight. When I see the food that you all are eating, it doesn't seem like any of you are eating very much. Maybe I can do one day with low carb and then a day with more carbs? I'm so impatient and just want to see the start of some results, you know?

Sorry to vent before even getting to know you all.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #41  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/197.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Jacqui, I wonder why I can't get my head back in the game this time? I'm hoping that with Mars in mind I will. But honestly right now until I get on the computer I really don't think much about weight loss until I have to get dressed and then I'm like WOW, just wow ... what on earth am I doing here I saw some already shelled pumpkin seeds some place and can't remember where. I like them, just not the salt. Look at you go

Carol Sue, I love Aldi brand items, the only thing that I have found from there that I don't like is their early June green peas. Lesueur peas are my favorite. I can eat them all day. My great-grandmother bought them and I love them. I'll have to look for the chips the next time I go and let you know what I think Wow that's interesting about the ingredients for the chips. I like the kale chips that I make (which you suggested to me) I eat them all in one sitting though so I don't know if that's good or not. Have you ever tried making your own pumpkin seeds. I told you a long time ago, I wish we lived near, I'd eat everything your DH won't eat Yeah, I am praying for decent hours. This broken sleep is really messing me up. I only eat the skin on an apple, I don't like the skin on anything else and I know that's where the nutrients are.

Jean to the thread vent away my friend. We're hear to listen also I think with every new start there are obstacles because what worked before (at least for me) rarely works again. I have yet to figure out why I can't eat properly this go around. Be patient my friend, I'm sure you're doing everything right and your whoosh is coming

Mars, I don't know that I'm ready to be in a competition , I can see you all now leaving me in your dust .... you all waving, byeeeeeeee, hope to see you soon However it would be fun, but I need groceries first. I'm still reading so let's see what you all have come up with

Chickadeee, kale in real corn bread?? sounds interesting. Is it bitter?

Obie I wanted to order that. Do you like it? How long have you been doing it? Is it really all about the colored containers? I'd love to hear about your days while doing this and see your menus also. Thanks ... Forgive me if you've already told us. I can eat a little rice or pasta, but potatoes are a major trigger for me. I think you should do the one that doesn't bother you on cheat day. Just my opinion Yay, on the scale moving

I didn't do anything good or right but the scale was down .8.

Last edited by love2b150; 07-09-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #42  

Jean, don't you give venting a second thought! We are here to support you and help you in any way we can! My first thought is maybe you are trying to go way too low on carbs and calories. Slow Carb is not Low Carb. The number of carbs don't matter. The type of carbs matter. If you need to count anything on a Slow Carb Diet, it would be protein. Tim Ferriss says you should be eating 30 grams of protein for breakfast and I believe at least 20 grams each for the other meals. I have no idea how many carbs, protein grams, or calories I eat, but I make sure I eat protein at each meal and I'm certain that I eat more than 1200 calories a day! I'd still be hungry on 1200 calories and I'm not hungry at all. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 54 and this is my 2nd go-around on the slow carb diet, and I'm losing at the same rate, if not faster, than I did the first time, despite people saying it's harder to lose the 2nd time around on a low carb diet (but then, this isn't a "low" carb diet). If you are going to count calories, I'd up them to at least 1500. I'll see if I can find any articles that address the topic of calories and carb numbers on the slow carb diet and post them if I find them.

Rennie, if your mind isn't on weight loss and healthy eating unless you're on the computer, just continue to make a habit of coming here to post each day! I know first-hand that it is so easy to slip into old eating habits when I'm not posting each day on 3FC. Coming here helps keep me on track, and I know it can do the same for you too! I absolutely love that you are posting again! You watch, you'll get back into the weight loss groove soon! Get that kitchen stocked and you'll be off and running!

Mars, I'm so glad the fruit is working for you!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-09-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #43  

Jean, here's an article that says even 1400 calories may be too low on the slow carb diet, which is what I thought, and to shoot for 90-150 grams of protein a day. It also says symptoms of under-eating are lack of energy, headaches, irritability and/or stalled fat (weight) loss: http://www.fourhourbodycouple.com/20...ies-slow-carb/. And this article from the same website talks about stalled fat loss: http://www.fourhourbodycouple.com/20...lled-fat-loss/. Here's another interesting article "16 Most Common Mistakes on the Slow Carb Diet." I don't know if any of these apply to you but you can check it out: http://www.farmtojar.com/recipes/slo...low-carb-diet/. She does mention "carb creep" in #15 and setting a carb limit but not a carb count, and the examples she gives are of limiting quick carbs, which of course is what this diet is about. Anyway, I'll keep looking!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-09-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #44  
maintaining since 9/2013

Jean, Vent away, sometimes that's what we need to do. I feel your pain about finding that your tried and true way does not work as well as before. My go-to was ketogenic, low cal dieting--worked like a charm. But now my brain just can't function on it. But you can find a sustainable WOE, maybe based on the old plan but with some tweaking. You will find great help here in doing that. Btw I think Jacqui's comments are spot on, especially not counting carbs, not going hungry.

Rennie I'm more of a personal best kind of a gal, competition only if & when it's motivating! Please keep posting! I hope you can get some good sleep. Did I read that you might get a different work shift?

Jacqui Thanks for all the info. I can't wait to check out the 'common mistakes' link!

chickadeee my stair stepper came in the mail today. I did 100 steps, just about 60 seconds. I need to build up gradually to avoid hip pain. I guess slow fitness goes with slow carb, lol! I'm so glad you mentioned this in your post--Thanks!

:Carol Sue & Obsidian Bow!

As Carb Day is near, I'm firming my resolve to try moderation--not restriction!

Last edited by mars735; 07-09-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #45  

Yesterday,

B: Eggs, bacon, coffee
S: Avocado. tomato
L: chicken
S: Yogurt
D: Big salad, salami

Mars, yeah on the stepper, I have been using mine a little at a time, I have zero muscle tone, but I have it in the living room, so I can get on it while I watch TV if I want to.

Good to see the busy board. Happy Friday everyone.
Closed Thread