Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Good for you for choosing the healthy path, Dagmar. I'm right there with you. Single this weekend and much of the next 2 months in fact. I always waffle between healthy choices and going rogue when dh is gone. Luckily I usually choose the healthy...
There's a part of me that wants to have a bottle of wine and a package of cookies for Saturday night's dinner. I'm resisting with everything I've got because I want to go out for a sunrise paddle on Sunday morning. That part is going to win!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #152  
Workin' It

Dagmar - a sunrise paddle on Sunday will be so much better than wine and cookies on Saturday!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #153  

First thing Saturday morning I'm changing my cell phone provider. I've taken enough cr*p from my current one. My credit card was cancelled due to fraud. If the phone co. won't continue my service and penalize me by taking away $200 worth of minutes because I was unable to renew my monthly prepaid then I'm done with them.

Dagmar
Old 09-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #154  
Workin' It

Dagmar - that is rage making. Move on to someone else.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #155  

Got my new cell provider and was able to sit down with the phone for about 2-3 hours and figure out a bunch of stuff. Hubby and the dog are away so it's pretty quiet here. The cat is easy - send her outside and she's good for about 3-4 hours on a sunny reasonably warm day.

This morning I get to sit around in my PJ's and listen to music, do a mani/pedi, drink coffee, etc. Kinda nice! Later I'm going to go to Toronto's annual street book fair (which is no longer held on the street) and I'm going to try to use my new parking app!

I did get myself out to a movie last night. Saw "Eighth Grade". It was fascinating (I don't have much contact with kids) and painful (some stuff doesn't change through the years).

Dagmar
Old 09-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #156  
Workin' It

Dagmar - how was the book fair? Saw on FB you had some trouble with the parking app.

I had a pretty busy day yesterday, today has been pretty mellow thus far.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #157  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Dagmar - how was the book fair? Saw on FB you had some trouble with the parking app.

I had a pretty busy day yesterday, today has been pretty mellow thus far.
Didn't make it to the book fair. I didn't want to risk the parking ticket - $20 - so I came back to the lot and came home. I take my car to a parking lot and then take the subway downtown to save on downtown parking and wear and tear on my nervous system. I swore to start using the library more so not buying any books today was a good thing - I guess?

I'm going to go and try the parking app again and take tech support - DH - with me. Maybe he can figure it out.

It would help if I could figure out whether I'm online or not. The wifi symbol on the phone showed that it was enabled but I'm still not clear on what wifi and how it works. My next phone usage project!

And i wish the pay-as-you-go plans would show the amount of data I've used up. I have 2G per month and that should be enough to cover what I do. We'll see. Work in progress.

Dagmar
Old 09-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #158  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Is it an iPhone, Dagmar? That's the only one I'm familiar with... But at least on the iPhone, "Settings" is the key to just about everything.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #159  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Is it an iPhone, Dagmar? That's the only one I'm familiar with... But at least on the iPhone, "Settings" is the key to just about everything.
Samsung Galaxy. I have explored the "Settings" menu quite extensively. I think my problem lies with having 3 differing sources of the internet and not being able to see if it's on or off. There is a wifi icon and it's set on "on" but that doesn't tell me much. I have to sit down and figure it out. DH will be a big help with the basic stuff. He will also (I hope) print out another copy of the user manual with changes I will request. I do best with printed materials if I am to retain anything I read. He printed out the user manual in black and white and all the icons are grey blobs. I need to be able to see the icon clearly, in colour, to relate it to what I'm reading.

Work in progress. I'm starting to view it as a challenge, rather than a chore. That will help too.

Dagmar
Old 09-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #160  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Went on vacation up north for a week. Didn't exercise, except for a couple of good walks. Ate whatever I wanted--I didn't consciously "deny" myself anything.

Got back last night--weighed this morning.

My weight has not changed from when I left!

Dagmar, does this help? It's from Samsung Galaxy support:

Connect to Wi-Fi:
  1. From the homescreen, tap and hold the notification bar at the top and slide your finger down.
  2. Tap Wi-Fi to switch it on.
  3. Available networks will be displayed. Tap on the network you want to connect to.
  4. Enter the wireless password and tap Connect.
You have to choose a network to get on the internet. Sometimes you can set the phone to connect automatically to a particular network, such as your home Wi-Fi.

Last edited by JayEll; 09-24-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #161  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Went on vacation up north for a week. Didn't exercise, except for a couple of good walks. Ate whatever I wanted--I didn't consciously "deny" myself anything.

Got back last night--weighed this morning.

My weight has not changed from when I left!

Dagmar, does this help? It's from Samsung Galaxy support:

Connect to Wi-Fi:
  1. From the homescreen, tap and hold the notification bar at the top and slide your finger down.
  2. Tap Wi-Fi to switch it on.
  3. Available networks will be displayed. Tap on the network you want to connect to.
  4. Enter the wireless password and tap Connect.
You have to choose a network to get on the internet. Sometimes you can set the phone to connect automatically to a particular network, such as your home Wi-Fi.
Thanks!

Dagmar
Old 09-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #162  
Workin' It

Dagmar - what JayEl said on the WiFi. You can also set it to automatically connect to known networks, or open networks without password. If you need constant connection for your app you may want to enable that, but keep your eyes open just in case. When you look at the WiFi icon on your phone screen it lights up blue on my Galaxy if it is connected to a network, is grey if it is on but not connected. Has a line through the WiFi icon if WiFi is disabled.

Jay - sounds like a great vacation!

I had a pretty good weekend. Hope to have a good week.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #163  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Dagmar - what JayEl said on the WiFi. You can also set it to automatically connect to known networks, or open networks without password. If you need constant connection for your app you may want to enable that, but keep your eyes open just in case. When you look at the WiFi icon on your phone screen it lights up blue on my Galaxy if it is connected to a network, is grey if it is on but not connected. Has a line through the WiFi icon if WiFi is disabled.

Jay - sounds like a great vacation!

I had a pretty good weekend. Hope to have a good week.
The icon was blue - on - at the parking lot where I set up the parking account. I have the account online and it has deducted the appropriate amount from my credit card so I was online somehow. The wifi in my house is automatically connected to my phone - just used it to access email as a test. What I'm having problems figuring out is how to go online when I'm away from home and there is no free wifi (like in the parking lot). I have to figure out that and how the app works. I'm starting by doing a basic chart of how our landline and desktop internet work and then trying to do one for the phone. I will then consult DH and see what I'm doing wrong.

I also plan to Google "how smartphone apps work". I have no idea. Same way I have no idea how electricity basically works. It's just "there". And I'm going to do a chat with my service provider about the online stuff. The phone manufacturer also has an "internet" app and I set up a free account with them. Just very confusing right now.

Fortunately I'm ignorant and can educate myself, unlike some (a particular president and our own provincial premier come to mind) who are stupid and willfully want to stay that way.

Dagmar
Old 09-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #164  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Dagmar, it's possible to make your phone into a "Wi-Fi hotspot." But I hear that that eats Data... You might want to check that online.

When I am somewhere that has no free Wi-Fi, I just go through Cellular Data using my browser (in my case, Safari). I usually only want to check email that way--I don't use the "Mail" app. Oh, and I have Cellular Data turned on for certain apps, like the mapping function, Safari, my contacts, and so on. (I turn it off for apps I don't use.) And, most of the time if there's no free Wi-Fi I'm happy to go without it.

I'm not a big user of the internet on my phone. I can get on the internet fine as long as I have LTE available through my phone carrier. But, that uses Data too, obviously. I have 3GB and that is way more than what I use. But, I don't watch videos or play online games.

There is so much under the Settings that I can't possibly learn about every feature. And for most of them, I'm not going to use them anyway. So if I need to do something, I just find out how to use the settings for it then (usually via the internet on my tablet), instead of trying to study the manual ahead of time.

On other fronts, my weight is up 0.4 pounds today, which I think it water weight. I have no worries.

Last edited by JayEll; 09-25-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #165  
Workin' It

Dagmar - you can make your phone into a wifi hot spot if you have a plan that lets you share data with other devices, but you wouldn't do that to connect the phone itself to wifi. If you have a data plan that lets you share via a phone hotspot, you would have data to just connect through your cellular data like Jay said. If you have data available, you can set your phone to switch to cellular data if there is no wifi available to connect to. That would be how you connect to internet without wifi, through your cellular data connection. On mine, I see an icon illuminated in the upper right next to the clock that says something like 4G, 5G, LTE, something that designates the data speed. It is right next to the wifi icon. When wifi is connected, the wifi icon lights up and the data icon goes grey. When it is on data, the wifi icon goes grey and the data icon lights up. If you aren't connected to a wifi network, data automatically picks up if you have it available. You can also set a limit where it will turn off cellular data at a set point. If you don't have any cellular data available, you won't have internet connectivity at all without wifi being available. You can set your apps to default to not download or use large amounts of data while on cellular data, only on wifi.