Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #151  

Default Wow!

You guys are GREAT for my mind!

Such great thoughts for the scale. I actually just read how we're supposed to weigh ourselves everyday and record it once a week. I suppose that's to get us used to seeing the scale go up and down. I also thought of another thing - I'm expecting my time of the month later this week so that could have something to do with it.

All of you gave me such great suggestions. onebyone, I like the OH WELL idea. So empowering.

With your help I've decided on the reward of a pedicure! It's been way too long and that sounds like a great idea.

Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #152  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

It was a crazy week last week, and I took a 3 day weekend to recharge my batteries.

I did read up on what everyone was doing, but Im back logged again.

Bill~ I have to say, your comment about poison for the body and soul turned into one of those light bulb moments for me. Because its just too true! Thank you for that.

Yes I had been making soup the last time I posted, I had done well, then things got busy, and I seemed to gotten the sugar into my system. Getting it out is always a chore. Im working on it now (again)

I hope everyone is doing well!! Im going to try to get here more often. Posting here helps me so much!!

Have a great afternoon everyone.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 227/200/175

Height: 5'4"

This is my third day on plan and I even got a 30 min walk in at work,I will weigh in on Sat.So far so good.There was a party at work today,covered dish and birthday.They invited us over in the afternoon.I had already eaten so I just took some fruit that I still needed to get in on my plan.I got a few questions,"What is that all you are going to eat? Don't you want dip with your fruit?Did you try the potato salad? It's great and it has bacon in it." I just replied that I had already eaten my lunch and I was full.

freer-Pedicure sounds like a great reward! All of us see our weight fluctuate especially before TOM,I usually see 2-4 pounds with that and even more if I don't watch the salt.

shrinkin-Sounds like you are doing perfect.You did not let a small slip of 200 calories send you into a tailspin and give up.Sounds like you resisted temptations this weekend quite a bit.

RobinW-Great job taking care of yourself with the 3 day weekend.I need to post more also you are right it helpd alot.

maryblu-Your garden sounds wonderful!Mine is not that big because the yard is small but I tried the square foot gardening this year.I have quite a bit in my small space.I tried to grow sugarsnap peas and only one plant came up,is that the kind of peas you have? Not everything I tried worked out and grew for me.

kuhljeanie-Sounds like you are very busy.7 mile run/walk is great,training for a marathygon admirable!

onebyone-Sounds like you are busy too with all your projects going on but still you are sticking with it.Summer seems to have so many jobs attached to it.

BillBlueEyes-Sounds like you got some great music on your walk.You remain a great inspiration!

hbuchwald-Sounds like a wonderful camping trip,I love my camping too but eating sometimes gets off track and we tend to have extra treats we don't usually have at home.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #154  

Hello, everyone. Just been overworked (and underpaid) today so I'm not going to post much today. I've done all the first week exercises and I'm seeing success. Today was weigh in day and I'm very happy to report the scale is down 4 pounds.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default kandy kane

Hold everything, Beckies. Now that I have you all excited about the sweet corn variety, I need to correct the name; it is Kandy Kane. And you will notice the cobs are quite small. The sweetness is REALLY BIG.

Wanted to post these two pics cuz the Oenothera is spectacular, and pictures of raspberries really aren't so interesting. I am about two weeks away from peak color, so stay tuned for more. Also needed show you how innocent a dawg can look. "Raspberries? Who? Me?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg karen the innocent.jpg (30.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg garden.july.18.08.jpg (56.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #156  

Hi,
This is off topic but have any of you seen the lion clip that was on the view? It made me cry as it was so loving and I am a BIG animal love( I actually got off jury duty because the case involved animals and I had to admit that I thought the death penalty would not be too much if the person were guilty of hurting an animal. Of course there is no death penalty for such a crime but I did reveal my bias on the subject and heard-- This juror is dismissed.)) I digress but it is worth going to youtube.com and searching Lion if you love animals.

Still writing reasons for weight loss and trying to decide on the 2 diets. One day I like this one and the next day I like that one and on and on. Decision time is soon.

Sheridan
Old 07-22-2008, 04:44 AM   #157  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome freer

freer

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in honor of your first post on 3fatchicks.com,

Neat that you found out about The Beck Diet Solution from a newspaper success story, and that you found our discussion group here by searching.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #158  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches – Did my gym session with the slightly heavier weights that worked well on Saturday, But I dropped them when lifting them over my head!!! Started again and dropped them again. hummmm... maybe it's too much weight. But, on third try, I got it, as well as fourth try for the second set. CREDIT moi for keeping at it when the Sabotaging Thought was too hard, use less.

MaryBlu - LOL at "Raspberries? Who? Me?" Thanks for the correction to Kandy Kane. I did think that Candy Corn was that awful stuff that I used to eat by the bagful around Halloween.

wendy (wendylan) - What a great idea to bring your own fruit. It's just amazing that people would comment about what you're eating. Kudos for sticking to your plan. And thank you for the kind words.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - So busy, busy, busy, but keeping your head above water. Great choice of "cukes" over "chips," Kudos for that. Looking forward to the cake pictures.

onebyone – Alas, my romantic image of a starving painter is destroyed forever, LOL. Kudos for clearing a counter. Yep, I know about feeling shame around clutter. When you're ready to add reading about clutter to your stack, the very new book by Julie Morgenstern, When Organizing Isn't Enough: SHED Your Stuff, Change Your Life helped me because organizing isn't my first problem. I first have Shed enough to be organizable. She reached me on choosing what I wanted. On Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/When-Organizin...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Robin (RobinW) - Yeah for 3 day weekends when the batteries need it. You have an insight here that's important for me, "I seemed to gotten the sugar into my system. Getting it out is always a chore." I need to be reminded that it's easier to dip into sugar than to withdraw. Also, we need you to set an example about climbing back on to the wagon; there's a lot of that going on around here right now.

shrinkin - Kudos for your superb performance at the lake this weekend (200 calories is on plan by my way of counting.) Really neat to have a small dessert when others are eating large. And Big Kudos for keeping to your exercise plan while entertaining. Wish I had heard of your technique for "training" kids to stop rolling their eyes, although, I admit, at this age it's more endearing than annoying.

Susan (QuilterInVA) - Ouch for "overworked." Kudos for keeping up with your exercises. Congrats on the four pounds down. Glad that you dropped by even though busy.

Sheridan - Kudos for working on your Advantages Response Card. Would you be willing to share some of your most important ones?

freer - I think the answer about weight fluctuations by onebyone covers it well. Mine bounces around plus and minus five pounds. In fact, a string of five identical readings is so strange that I recently posted that I thought maybe the batteries on my scale must be old. As for a reward for the first five pound loss, I recommend a new, black, Porsche 911, (unless money is an object, LOL.)

Readers – "… I, too, had lots of sabotaging thoughts, such as:

• If others don’t see me eating, it doesn’t really count. …" Beck, pg 23.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #159  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default Going to be a great Tuesday!

Good morning coaches!

I was on target for calories and water yesterday and it was a planned day off for scheduled exercise. Got in some unplanned exercise yesterday with some very short walks. One of them was down to get the mail. DH normally does this but he agreed I could do it for exercise. CREDIT for that....and one credit also to DH because as he says he "likes to go get the mail".

Although my calories were on target yesterday, I am feeling a bit down because after dinner I was still hungry and decided to have some baked chicken. I got about 4 oz out of the fridge, ate till I was full and then took the remainder off my plate (the remaining 2 oz) and put it back back in frig. Not sure why I feel bad about that episode...guess it is because chicken was not in my planned food or maybe because I have been reading Beck about tolerating hunger. Alos, I sometimes fear little deviations are the slippery slope off of the whole effort...or is that my perfectionism creeping in to defeat me? Not sure if I need to think about this more or just move on.

Tonight is an exercise night which will take fortitude with all of the other things that are screaming to be done...like 5 loads of laundry from the weekend. I will have to shut out the voice that says "you have too much to do to go exercise". I know that it is sabotage.

I am up early to reread Beck chapters on craving and hunger yet again. I have not done the exercise yet and I don't want to skip these over too lightly as I know this is a major weakness for me.

BBE-Im sending you another CREDIT for sticking with the weight challenge!

Sheridan-Good luck with the diet selection. Wonder which ones you are seriously considering?

Maryblu-Like BBE, I initially thought you were speaking of the Halloween candy...until I read the full post to discover it was really true corn.

QuilterInVA-Great to hear from you. Congrats on the 4 pounds but even more kudos for being on target with your plan.!

wendylan-Big CREDIT for your performance at that covered dish luncheon. I will be working on that scenario in the future. I always dread those "pot lucks". I feel obligated to try things people bring and then feel bad if I do or if I don't. And then, there are almost always some "food pushers" present. I will be working on that scenario as I progress. Thanks for being such a great example and reporting the fruit idea. Also thanks for your encouraging words!

RobinW-Welcome back to posting! Glad your batteries are recharged and you are going to be back with us.

freer-A peduicure is a wonderful choice for a reward! I like to pick rewards that either make me feel better or help me improve myself or my appearance. Pedicure sure qualifies for that.

Have a great Tuesday! I hope to report tomorrow that I made it to the pool for water exercise.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #160  

Good morning all!

BBE, thank you (and everyone) for the kind welcome.

As you know, the scale went up 1 1/2 pounds. Usually, this would cause me to just quit and sabotage my diet. You all gave me such great counsel and it really helped me. I particularly enjoyed the link that onebyone gave me.

Anyway, this morning I LOST 2 pounds! A rather dramatic way to lose a 1/2 pound don't ya think? Go figure. I guess I can see why Beck suggests weighing each day. So you can see how much it fluctuates day to day and practice getting used to dealing with that.

Now, I need to prepare for tomorrow's weigh in. I'm assuming, based on these sorts of fluctuations that I need to prepare for another OH WELL moment.

Finally, BBE, I'd really like the quotes you put on your posts. Great way to have a 'thought for the day.'

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #161  

Good morning, y'all!

Freer, weight will fluctuate from day to day - you could have had a lot of sodium and that caused it to go up. I've kept about 200 pounds off for 30 year's and a participant on the National Weight Loss Registry. Nearly everyone who has maintained a weight loss weighs every single day. When you do, you can see where a gain seems to be settling in and take steps to correct it before it gets out of hand. I count my gain or loss by what I weigh on every Sunday. In that way, daily fluctuations are noted but I don't freak out.

Shrinkin - How soon after dinner were you hungry again? Did you eat enough at dinner or was desire taking over and it wasn't really hunger? But CREDIT for having baked chicken and stopping when you had enough not when your plate was clean.

OnebyOne - I know about clutter - my sewing room is clutter city (rest of my house is neat and clutter free and clean). I've just got to get it organized. It is almost overwhelming though. I've decided to put it on my schedule for 1 hour on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (the day's I don't work). I'm going to set the timer for 1 hour and I can't stop until it goes off. It'll probably take 3 or four weeks but I'll get it done. I'm make Art Quilts and a few bed quilts and wallhangings, so I am sure I have nearly 1,000 yards of fabric. It needs to be organized by color. I have a couple of hundreds of spools of thread and all kinds of buttons, beads, and trims. I have a deadline on a quilt now and I got the design in my head and I know the fabrics are there but I can't find all that I want. Not to worry, 3 of my friends and I are going to Lancaster, PA to buy more fabric and then go on to the Hershey Quilt show this weekend. It is such a sense of accomplishment to get rid of the clutter.

I'm on Day 9 and I've already got that done in that I exercise regularly at Curves. I did find with Day 8 but am still getting my list of priorties together.
I stuck with my plan and exercised yesterday.

Have a great day.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #162  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

freer~ WTG on the 2lbs

shrinkin~ nice going on the unplanned excersice!!

Bill~ I hope you moved your head out of the way quick!! I love moving up in the weights!!! Even if I can't do full reps right away....means your makin' more internal fat burners!! How cool is that?!?!!

wendylan~ Great going on passing up all that other stuff, and not submitting to peer pressure!!

Things are a little bit more sane this week at the shop. I think my biggest problem is the pressure I put on myself. I know when things have to get done, and how they have to look....then I worry that the suppliers I am depending on ship late, or they didnt get my last email, etc. etc. I was told to quit trying to do "everything" Its very hard when that is the way it has always been.

Eating was 100% yesterday Got all my water in, and stayed wayyyyyyy away from sugar. Even chanted "sugar is poison" when I found myself thinking of marshmallows! It worked, I made it!

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by RobinW; 07-22-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #163  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Tuesday and practicing old behaviour

Hello coaches.

I have a confession. I saw the Dr. on Friday, got the good news about bp being much improved, and I just sort of went "phew. made it." and since then I've not been binge eating but I have chosen every bad food I can think of. Mostly sugary things and fatty things and the quantities are from a proper portion to a huge on. AND I usually weigh myself daily and I haven't stepped on the scale since Friday. (The Dr. didn't weigh me in his office.) So 5 days of doing "whatever I want". And why? It's old behaviour. And you know why? cause tomorrow I go and get my fitness assessment. 90 minutes worth. A big part of me wants me to be in the worst shape I can get into so I can get the worst assessment. What's that about anyway? If I do well and I've been so "bad" then I really must be pretty strong or something? it's something twisted like that emotionally with me. The other part of me sees the assessment as the start of a new way of life. I can't commit to a fitness plan and a payment plan to support it and binge my way or eat my way poorly through it and esxpect to see heatthful results now can I? No. Why bother even going then? So it's that old "bingeing right before the diet" behaviour. Man. Where is my Beck book?! I have got to find it. BUT 5 days is not 5 weeks or 5 months. Assessment or no assessment I am starting to feel like crap so I'll be back on plan very soon. I don't like feeling like this. I deserve better.

RobinW When you work for yourself your work I never done I can really relate. And the irony of it all is the more successful you are, the more work there is to get done! Congrats on staying on plan and nice to see you back!

QuilterInVA You make art quilts? Nice! That really can be addictive and you can absolutely fill up a room with fabrics and embellisments of all kinds. Maybe you could post an image of one of your quilts here for us to see sometime? Congrats on your success following Beck and getting regular exercise. Awesome.

freer So glad you saw a welcome change in your weight so soon! often that's the way it is with me. I am so frustrated and if I hang in there, i am actually on the verge of a change in weight, and if I give in, i sabotage my momentum by a week. Well, a week if I eat off plan and stop... unfortunately sometimes I do not stop in a day, or with one treat. I will remember your frustration and your success the next time I feel like that too. Kudos and good luck to you tomorrow at weigh in.

shrinkin Don't make the little slips into a big deal. Put it behind you. Move on. Move forward. Become aware that you have these tendencies and watch out for it. If you are always craving food, perhaps you are eating too little? Sometimes I am so quick to label myself as "bad" in some way and really it's not a case of good or bad, just normal and something needs to be adjusted. If I don't panic over it, I don't add to the situation. Perfectionism will always tell us we are wrong or less than (perfect). It really sabotages me for sure. Big kudos to you for all the things you did right yesterday! yay And thanks for the encouragement. I still have time to turn this week around

BillBlueEyesSticktoitiveness is something that you definitely have, well demonstrated by winning the battle with the weights. Kudos. Thanks for the tip on the book. I can use all the help I can get. I'm really glad you didn't recommend this book http://www.amazon.com/Does-This-Clut...ref=pd_sim_b_3 I really don't want to read it!

Sheridan Hi! I can't figure out how I want to eat either... but I will. Hope your day today was good.

marybluSo that's what a raspberryluvin' dawg looks like. I would have never have thought Mr. Innocent would scarf down all those berries!

wendylan Good going on turning down food. that's good practice for dealing with social situations in the future. Big kudos for that and for sticking to your plan!

kuhljeanieThanks for the poem! Nice! And like you the failure to plan is really undermining me. I think I need to make a mechanincal Canadarm for my wagon, to scoop me up and place me in the driver's seat kicking and screaming and then go "Oh wait! I like wagon rides!" DUH. All the best chum!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 AM   #164  

Hi there everyone,
Hanging in there over here. I am getting lots of unplanned exercise in with these doggone dogs! We play LOTS of soccer in the yard and I also take them on long walks each day that I can. Oftentimes, we will all go to a local school park so dd can do the monkeybars and the dogs can run and I can go between the two activities. It is GREAT.

I was doing GREAT yesterday and today foodwise. Then, I went to Trader Joe's while hungry. I got a pack of these mini ice cream sandwiches.. I ate a bunch of them and then, I STOPPED myself and became aware that they were not that good and that eating them was not preventing them from being wasted...throwing them away would be better than eating them..so I threw the rest away. Kudos to me. I am ON my plan.

I love hearing about quilterinVA being on the weight loss registry. WOW. Thank you for that reminder of the importance of weighing each day. When I eat too much, I want to avoid the scale but must face the music and know what the reality is.

Made a doc appt to have a swollen lymphnode checked out (my dentist found it in my neck) and am going to ask about the sensewear option-she is affiliated with a hospital and I will see if they have any around that I could use. Thanks kuhljeanie for telling us all about it. I saw your thread about it and saw the reports, etc.. SO motivating!!! I don't have an HSA but do have a flexible spending account which would at least let me deduct that purchase from my taxes if it is covered.

Maryblu: Karen is a piece of work-great caption for her... she is a beaut!!!! And the gardens..I bow down to you, queen of gardening. DD and I did some vegetable starts and then sort of bailed on creating a raised bed when my dog got so sick and all... BUT we still have a few of them struggling to stay in the game in some containers in front of our house and the other day we found ONE lone sweet pea!!! We ate it and it was delicious...

Went to the vegetable stand today... I actually had a giftcard to it from my students. I got a few plants and LOTS of beautiful veggies. We probably cannot consume as much as I bought but we are going to give it our best shot!!!

Off to read ARCs and plan my food for tomorrow.

Goodnight friends.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:36 AM   #165  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches – While on my walk I made an excuse to go through Whole Foods and gobble all the samples. That triggers my slippery slope fears, which are admittedly exaggerated, but it remains my goal to stick to my plan for FREE samples: yes for rare or expensive foods, no for common foods. That the olive was HUMONGOUS didn't make it rare, only made it look like a fig, LOL. Oh Well. Otherwise, on track. Small things: broiled tuna for dinner was soooo good; I stopped at half of my 5 ounce serving and put the rest into the fridge for my lunches. CREDIT moi.

CD#2 from 13 CD’s for $1:
Quote:
"Kathy, I'm lost," I said, though I knew she was sleeping
I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
Heidi (hbuchwald) - Congrats on "ONE lone sweet pea!!!" Farming is an unpredictable profession, LOL. Love hearing how your dogs are exercising you. You sound like you're doing well.

onebyone – Welcome to assessment day. Ouch for your struggles getting here. My take is that you're right on, this is your turn around point. Sending good vibes for the 90 minutes and supporting thoughts for a full fledged onebyone attitude coming out of it. LOL at the image of a "Canadarm for my wagon." Now that's a painting ready to happen.

Robin (RobinW) - LOL at "sugar is poison." Kudos for 100%. Grrrr to people who say "quit trying to do everything" when they mean, but of course you'll have it all done by Monday.

shrinkin - Kudos for calories on target. As for the "slippery slope off of the whole effort", you are talking to the king of exaggerated fear of that slippery slope. Yep, you ate some chicken. Yep, it was unplanned. Yep, it was a better choice than a Twinkie. Yep, ya just move on.

Susan (QuilterInVA) - Double whammy Kudos for "200 pounds off for 30 years." Just fantastic. Do you have any tips for long term maintenance? How'd you do it?

Sending supportive thoughts for your de-cluttering plan for your sewing room. Yep, do know that feeling "know the fabrics are there but I can't find all that I want." Timed work sessions sounds wise; one can do almost anything if it's going to end in an hour. I'm currently doing two hours a week in one session, with supplementary time for tidying up the session and prepping for the next one. But I have at least a dozen areas to attack - Entry Points in the jargon of my SHED book.

freer - Yep, a little up, a little down. A little up, a little down. Kudos for staying on the path - that's your job. It's the path's job to be a bit wiggly, LOL.

Readers – "… I, too, had lots of sabotaging thoughts, such as:

• If I give in to temptation, it’s my fault for being weak. …" Beck, pg 23.
Closed Thread