Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:00 AM   #196  

evening all,

Have ended this week with alot of nice changes-but I am tired-really working at pushing myself in a lot of little ways to get more exercise-more walking, standing and much less sitting time in general-Every time I think oh that is too hard I say it is hard because of all of the extra weight-right now it seems to undermind any sabataging thoughts and current really staying on plan. I think the horrible scores I got on those tests dealing with strength, speed and endurance have really let me know make changes now or I'll move like a a frail 85 yr old at 66. I always managed to do so much physical stuff-hiking, biking, sailing, camping until about 55 yrs inspite of the extra weight then got mono from a student and really lost a lot of strength and gained more weight-boy do I want to change things!! This is the good side of truly facing reality!! can do the work to make the changes and have stopped condeming myself for getting so fat.-In the past I would feel so horrible about myself and then deal with it by overeating more. Such a common pattern for me. Right now I am only focusing on the changes versus criticizing all my decades of overeating mistakes-that is a hugh thing for me.

Big challenge will be this weekend-company coming-meals to make, wines about the house, great blues concert to go to-listening to the blues just seems to require alcohol as part of the event-Going for one glass of wine there and 2 bottles of water from home.

BBE- Last night had dinner with a Bostonian- she joked about the west coast loving crab and the east coast only liking Lobster-personally love them both.

Robin W-glad you enjoyed your meal-sometimes when food is super good I start slowly tasting it to figure what they put in it.

shrinkin-What a great posting about the bacon-powerful resisting muscles you are developing there!! Hope sleep come quickly soon-It is one of my common battles also-

freer-great attitude about the scale surge ( I was up 2 lb from the meal of soup and salad from the resturante-DH was up 3lbs- the power of salt)
Maybe you could start the leaving food on your plate in small steps-like something you do not really like, a banana with peel still one, then build up to a favored item. I really had that attitude that one "mistake" was an entire days of unhealthy eating-much credit to move beyond-I never had a skinny friend who would binge after overeating for the rest of the day,but I sure tried it.

Heidi-much success on doing all those step on to be on program-I fully understand those days of not quite in control but knowing out of control isn't what I want either. I felt like I was treading water-going nowhere but no sinking back to old ways either-keep hanging in you are going to be successful!!

KulhJeannie-You are one busy and focused lady-may you have more rest this weekend. YOur cake looked great-the icing seemed to lace about the cake-beautiful. That Helen is amazing-tina Tuner is no sack of potatoes either-seen that woman sing/dance her heart on stage and in increditable heels also-the guys do the same but in flat shoes and about 25 yrs younger.

onebyone-may there sun this weekend for you.

success to all
Sue

Last edited by coastalsue; 07-26-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #197  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches – Did my gym. After twice failing to hoist the 50# dumbbells I dropped back to the 45#s. Oh Well. Feel disappointed, but I fear that I was about to hurt myself. 50#s dropped on my chest could be worse than an embarrassment. Dinner included fresh green beans from DW's garden. Thank you sunshine and mother earth. Do love the bounty of summer.

Yep, Jean (kuhljeanie) and Sue (CoastalSue), CD#4 was You Make Me Feel (Like A Natural Woman) by Aretha Franklin.

CD#5 of the 13 CD’s for $1: So DW walks thru the room when this is playing and, without so much as pausing, says "Why are you playing <xxx>?" with that smirk reserved for people married forever because she knows that I know that she knows that I expected her to not remember this group and she did.
Quote:
I can make you mine, taste your lips of wine
Anytime night or day
Only trouble is, gee whiz
I'm dreamin' my life away
Sue (CoastalSue) - Ouch that you're tired. Kudos for pushing yourself with exercise. You continue to inspire me by confronting the changes of aging. Good luck with your visitors this weekend.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - An exploration down a mysterious path. What fun. Sounds like you are in your Heidi struggles with summer place and working hard to structure yourself out of it. Kudos for showing us all how to confront that which is sending us off path.

wendy (wendylan) - Good luck with the buffet - those are hard for me also. Kudos for such clarity on your eating and for getting right back on track.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Just WOW at 'burned 2800 calories yesterday.." That's moving about. Thinking of the zillions we can make on The Fondant Diet, LOL. Cake looks terrific. Methinks you are a harsh judge of your work.

onebyone – Arrrgh... busy with uncertainty. Good luck at your markets this weekend. Sending thoughts to customers to raise high their umbrellas and shop in the rain.

Robin (RobinW) - Savoring the thought of those "garlic green beans." Good choices.

shrinkin - Wonderful story of zapping the bacon with NO CHOICE. Kudos to James Taylor for that, LOL. Trying to shake the ear worm R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

freer - As for leaving food on the plate: It took me several tries to complete that step. At home, it helps if I get up and remove the food to, say, a container to go in the fridge. It's still hard for me to push back from the table with the food still there. As for the restaurants: I do better when I plan plan plan before I go. I don't have to plan my specific order, just plans like: no bread and dips, sane entree, no desert except for a bite from DW's. If I arrive cold, I have this feeling that it's all different and I don't know what to do. Good luck.

Readers – "...For example, I’ve found that to lose excess weight and keep it off, it’s important to do the following:

• Create time and energy for dieting. …" Beck, pg 24.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-26-2008 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Morning grammer.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #198  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default Saturday update

Morning coaches!

Not much to report after my posts yesterday. Slept GREAT last night.,,,finally! Cals OK and exercise OP. I will be going to the Lake House alone today. DH got back after midnight last night and leaves again at 4 am tomorrow. So, he will miss the "fun". This is a cleaning trip and need to take sheets and towels out for company next weekend. But will enjoy the lake and will get my water walking in there (assuming good weather). May not post tomorrow depending on internet quirks.

BBE-Kudos for showing good judgement over those weights and for showing us how to take a disappointment. OH WELL. I need some mental work on that area. Green beans sound heavenly. I know CD #5 and the group...but won't spoil the fun for the others. Let's just say..."all I have to do is....". Heard that song way too many times from a guy I knew in college. Think I will keep Aretha in my head for today!

Coastalsue-Big thanks for your posts and big CREDITS to you. Facing reality is hard work. The tired must be a "good kind of tired". Keep going with your focus on the changes! I feel with you about that being critical part. One of my ARC reasons for losing is to be less critical of myself...just now realizing that being less critical is actually HOW you lose. You and onebyone have inspired me to add "getting a fitness eval done" to my plan...not sure when, but it has to happen.

Think I responded to everyone else in my multiple posts over the day yesterday, sorry if I missed anyone.

Wishing all a great weekend!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #199  

Good morning All,

Well dinner last night at the restaurant proved to be easier than I thought due to the restaurant's help!

First off, I was still not THAT hungry after overeating at lunch. That helped. I'd read their menu online and had a few ideas of what I was going to get.

When we got there, I couldn't believe it when I decided to order soup and salad! Is this ME??? Anyway, the soup came and after eating about half of it, I decided I really didn't like it too much and instead of eating it all, I stopped! (thank you, Restaurant!)

Then, the dinner took more than 45 minutes to come! We'd planned on eating there before going to an 8 o'clock show. The service was just horrible. The 4 of us actually ended up giving up, and cancelling our order! I don't think I"ve ever done that, but this was ridiculous. So, ultimately, for dinner I just had maybe a cup of soup! (thank you, crappy Restaurant!)

So, ultimately, with the assistance of the restaurant, my first foray into the world of restaurant eating on Beck was a breeze!

The scale is up for the second day in a row but I am choosing not to stress as I've had a LOT of salt in my diet and I only went off plan for my planned- off-plan lunch yesterday. I have confidence it will start going down again soon.

BBE thanks for the tip on attempting to push food off of my plate. That sounds like a good way to ease into it.

Have a great day!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 227/200/175

Height: 5'4"

Just checking in,I am so busy this weekend with work and getting ready for vac.Official weigh in day,down 4 pounds this week.Good day,got a 20 min walk in at work.I will post more on Monday.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #201  

Coastalsue: Great job on not beating yourself up and with your resolve to stay on plan. It is such a struggle to overcome habits that we have spent a lot of our lives doing. You are in a great frame of mind!!!

BillBlueEyes: I am impressed with teh 45 lbs... What am I saying? I am impressed that you are so consistent with getting to the gym!!!

shrinkin: So glad you could sleep last night! Yes, it is inspiring to think of getting a fitness eval-scary but inspiring.

freer: The restaurant gods were in your favor last night-that was a great way to ease into it. Bummer that the service was not so good-hope the rest of the night was better.

Not much to say here-sort of a lazy day for dd and I. We both stayed in our jammies until 2 pm!!! I puttered and cleaned for a spell, then we read a lot of books together and then I took a nap. WOW! After that, we got dressed and went out into the big bad world of "community festival". It was mediocre but dd was happy as a clam to receive "free things" (BBE can relate... ). We got a lunchbox for kindergarten and poked around some shops together. It is fun to hang with her-always has been but I am enjoying how much more she can communicate as she gets older. It becomes more mutually beneficial I think-not as much of me doing stuff that I REALLY don't want to do (exception today is community festival). Oh well-who knows when or IF I would have gotten out of jammies if she weren't there.... now I am cleaning stuff out and cooking a bit of healthy stuff to keep in the fridge for the week. Not doing perfectly on my plan but trying to praise myself for the good stuff and cut slack on the TEMPORARY bad stuff.

You guys are really the best. All these songs sound familiar, some I could sing the whole thing but have no clue who sang them.. fun puzzle BBE-thanks!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #202  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Seriously loving the Beckie CD challenge

OMG, BillBE, this is seriously memory lane. Fortunately, SO is a real whiz at this. While he was wooing me, he was always quoting the oldies. Now he just does dumb stuff that makes me laugh. :-) Everyday, night and day...lol.

CD # 5 is The Everly Bros. I did love that song!

CoastalSue, what a break through! It truly sounds as if you have had that moment. The one that breaks through and signals it is time for change. I have always felt for you that you were so hard on yourself..And just imagine, now you have the Beck tools, and all of us to keep supporting you. I just love hearing the change in your thinking! (And am seriously envious of your access to good blues.) Your post spoke to me on a personal level as well..my next bd is 55...granted, almost a year away, but quite a round # and I certainly want to keep feeling as great as I do now...it is just so cool to move and go up hills and drag hoses, and saddle a horse and not feel that it is all a burden..and that is certainly how it used to be.

I echo the sentiments of BillBE and the bounties of summer. Today was the first day I sensed the change in summer...different smell, different sound, different feel, certainly different light. Have some ripe Cherry Tomatoes, not far off from cukes and the "real" tomatoes. The ground actually gets harder this time of summer...seriously! It does. As much as I love summer, and this change signals the last third of it, I do love it..always have...remember noticing this as a kid...just that awareness of the change.

Keep up the good work, all; enjoy your summer.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:49 AM   #203  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches – Mediocre performance at a 3-6pm birthday party where a full meal was served on appetizer plates. I didn't plan adequately, expecting, maybe, light appetizers. So, with much encouragement from the hostess, I made multiple passes by the serving table over the course of a terrific party. Restricted myself to good enough choices - shrimp, broccoli and other veggies dipped in guacamole, cut fruit especially water melon. Except for those little meat balls. Oh Well. But, did take a really small piece of carrot cake. CREDIT moi. At the farmers' market I bought field tomatoes, grape tomatoes, 1 huge heirloom tomato, Romaine Lettuce, cukes, and zucchini.

Yep, shrinkin and MaryBlu, CD#5 was All I Have to Do Is Dream by The Everly Brothers.

CD#6 of the 13 CD’s for $1 (OK, so no one will get this):
Quote:
I listen to my words but
They fall far below
I let my music take me where
My heart wants to go
I swam upon the devil's lake
But never, never never never
I'll never make the same mistake
No, never, never, never
MaryBlu - Neat observations about summer. I did read on the Internet that Minisotans have 47 words for dirt, LOL. Drooling over your garden - ship some cherry tomatoes east; DW's cherry tomatoes fizzled this year.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - I just love hearing the tales of DD and hearing how aware you are of their transient nature. Kudos for being aware of your eating and giving yourself credit rather than beating yourself up when it is "TEMPORARY" that the glass is half full.

wendy (wendylan) - Congrats on 4 pounds down. Kudos for your walk at work. Have a nice vacation.

shrinkin - Yea for "Slept GREAT." Have a nice water walk in the lake.

freer - Ouch for an awful restaurant experience. Kudos for seeing it as helpful for sticking to your eating plan.

Readers – "...For example, I’ve found that to lose excess weight and keep it off, it’s important to do the following:

• Plan what and when you’re going to eat. …" Beck, pg 24.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #204  
persist

S/C/G: 150goal/5.4/32lb 1st step

Height: 5' 6"

Default Sunday morning

Good Morning coaches.

It's Sunday and I've just eaqtena poor breakfast. I'm in a rush an opted for take out breakfast as I rushed to the bank to get $ for the art in the park today, postponed from yesterday due to rain. It's sunny now and will stay, probably, mostly sunny for the day wiht some rain in the afternoon... probably. But the show's a go oday no matter what. I went to my Saturday market yesterday so I still get two days of selling, but my friend was counting on the Sat art show as he doesn't have a sat market like me and was looking for that extra cash bump-up. It just reminds me that the short short weeks of summer have to be pushed full steam. It's all over so fast!
And everyone is complainging about all the rain but to me, it's been sunny and hot! A good summer! I haven't even noticed the rain But I like downpours and thunderstorms so I'm good

I hear DH in the car, Time to re-pack the car. We are trying to get an impossible amount of things into the car as usual. He's really good at that! Loves playing Tetris don't-ha-know! The Yin to my Yang in the packing realm!

Oh really gotta go... Have agood sunday. will check in tonight.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #205  

S/C/G: 235/195/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Day 6 - new to board

Hello everyone!

I have been spending the past few days reading the posts for July, trying to get a grip on how you guys do things before I post. However, today is Day 6- Find a Diet Coach, and it said I could use the Internet, which I think will work best for me. It said to discuss the following, so here goes:

Change in weight this week: don't know yet, I weigh in on Tuesday.

Successes this week: Wrote my advantages card, and have been reading it religiously. Picked my two diet plans: Weight Watchers and Sparkpeople. Sat every time while eating: no problem, I actually go out of my way to sit while eating. Giving myself credit: I set up a great reminder system - I have a sticky note with credit statements on it that I keep in my food log journal. I stick it where I have to move it in order to write my food down. Works great for me!

Challenges this week: eating slowly and mindfully. Only on the second day of trying this, and have only done it with two meals. ( I guess I should give myself credit for doing that, though!) We went out to dinner last night, and while I ordered healthy (yay me) I was so busy talking to my husband and corralling my kids that before I knew it I looked down and my food was gone. It was my favorite (boiled shrimp) and I didn't even really enjoy it.

Sabotaging thoughts I've had: Silly to give myself praise. It seems weird, almost fake when I do it. I've had a few genuine moments, and repeating them the following day helps - as in : "Remember skipping that snack yesterday? You didn't starve to death, and made it to dinner just fine! Do it again today." Any other thoughts would be helpful, as the list of credits on my sticky note are starting to get old.

A little about me: I am a 38 year old female, married with two kids: 5 year old boy and an 8 month old daughter. I teach 5th grade Science and am on summer vacation.

Thanks for listening!
Lisa Marie
Old 07-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #206  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Hey all.....its me angelmomma210...I am here in IN and boy has it been a week. Was with brother this last week from sunday until thursday and all that he and my neice did was eat and plan video games. I never have eaten so much...not as much as I could have. They had alot of sugar and that is one thing that I did not have alot of. We are now in IN and I am more in control. It is very hot here...for me and dh anyway. The humidity is high and I have been really glad for the a/c in the car. Will be going out for dinner with dh's family tonight and tomorrow night. Not sure where we are going but planing on doing alot better than last week. Will try to check in tomorrow. Thanks for listening. Did get some fruit and veggies to snack on in the hotel room.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #207  

Hello all,

the blue's concert was so great-so much energy in the music-some super slide guitar work, and some plain old fun dancing- a surprise bonus of the extra physical push I have been doing was that able to dance some-it has been a decade- Dh and I felt so young and free amidst that passionate music.

Was able to remain on program during our dinner- made a very good low fat meat, multi veggies meal- no butter, no bread, no dessert- yet the guests were very gracious and positive-In the past I felt I "had" to include all those high carb things to be a good hostess-then I would be so tempted and would overindulge in them. Big step for me to go from "let them eat cake" to "let them eat veggies".

Welcome Science Queen-Many good people here and great support for folowing the Beck Diet. Yeah. that giving ourself credit as been an awkward tasks for many of us-I am an expert at critiqueing myself on how to do it better versus just appreciating my successes. Sometimes I now just pat myself on the back with my thought of Hey, another great an healthy change. Really believe each change/ Beck exercise/healthy action is foundation for new healthy habits.
I think being mindful on one's food with young children in resturante is not possible (unless the kids are sleeping).

BBE-sound like very good choices made at the gathering-love the line of "much encouragment by the hostess"-that is a tough combination-good foods and someone pleading with us to have more (which we really want to do any way plus we get a sense of appreciation from the hostess for "accommodate" her. I think you handles it with alot of moderation-

Maryblu-It is kind of amazing we know each other only by posting and yet you said something my close friends say to me -you are too hard on your self. It is nice to start being much more accepting and appreciative of myself. Truly rasied with that midwest idea of remaning unassuming. Keep up your good work to remain active for the next 30 yrs!
your writings of the joys of seasons and thier rich subtle changes are wonderful. We get some sense of that by watching the ocean-its color, waves, fog and the angle of the setting sun with the time of year.

onebyone-good luck on the sales!! It is so much work to load and unload all the stuff for market-may you burn off any extra calories from the "poor breakfast" dieting takes alot of work and prep in a busy day.

Heidi-great to hear you relaxing and sharing such rich time with DD. Very soon you will be rested enought to take on get back on that "Beck Wagon"-much credit in that you still keeping up with the "wagon" posting, be aware, cooking healthy meals ect.

Wendylan Inspiring 4 lb loss-plus the 20 minute walk-much credit

Shrikin-hurray for good night sleep-Spend my childhood in Northern Mn and loved going to cabins by the "lake" think that is here my love of swmiming was set. For the longest time I wouldn't even go into a swimming pool-small and stunk of chlorine-finally got used them. Thanks for the support and much credit back to you for your continued success on being on program.

Freer-What a great attitude toward the horrible resturante food and service-love the humor about it-much credit!! Right attitude about the scale dancing about-it just happens but eventually it always goes down when staying on program .

Hi anglemomma 210-good luck in IN -sound like you are with alot of family and you are seeing the difference on how they eat and how you would like to eat. Much credit for the fruit and veggie snacks!

success to all
sue

Last edited by coastalsue; 07-27-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #208  
persist

S/C/G: 150goal/5.4/32lb 1st step

Height: 5' 6"

Default Sunday night nightcap

Hello Coaches

Wow. What a day. We left at 8am. Set up by 10 am. Sold until 7 pm. Chatted until 7:45pm. And then stopped for a snack and a beverage on the way home and now it's 8:38pm. Long day. I am tired. My food gets so screwed up during these selling/show weekends. I really work right up until I can't work any more. Go to bed. Try to sleep not think. Have not even had the thought of packing food for the coming day and then just "deal with it". As BBE once put it, when faced with the stress we regress.... or of he didn't say that he should have! (whoa. I am tired). Anyway...

So had take out breakfast from McD at 7am. Had lunch/dinner (ham and cheese sandwich, two black plums, limeade drink) at 4:30pm. Two coffees in between with cream. DH showed up with TacoBell tacos at 5:30. (10! Special deal of special price for 5 x 2). Had two even though I was full. Did not want to disappoint DH for his thoughtfulness. Shared the rest of the tacos with my neighbours and friends. Then packed up super fast under serious thunderstorm downpour threat. Luckily it passed on by but we really moving fast to get it all torn down and packed away before the storm hit. Phew! Tough after a long hot day. And I am totally red. The UV rays sure found me today. Wow. Even my eyes feel burned if that can be. Tim, my neighbour and best friend, said it was the wind. Oh yea. The wind. It whipped around our booth most of the day. Several paintings had their hanging wires on the backs of the paintings snapped due to so much twisting in the wind. Spent many minutes chasing paintings and hoping they don't conk onlookers on the noggin, or take out an eye! yikes!

Oh. wow. It's not 9 and it's getting dark. *sigh* the season is shifting... I saw my first golden rod yesterday. A long time ago someone told me that when the golden rod is out everywhere fall is around the corner. So, one does not Fall make. It's all right. Lots of summer left.

Better go. Tomorrow is a morning spent at the school loading the kiln, and my 2nd meeting with Nadine to go over my *gulp* honest foodlog. Geez. It couldn't be worse. She'll be making some recommendations to me and she is also going to go over the workout program she's created for me, all the moves and we'll figure out the settings. All uphill from here. It's really good my food is what it was. This really is me at my worst and most difficult. It'll be good to deal wiht this from a fresh perspective.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:04 AM   #209  

Hi coaches,
I love reading what you all are up to. I really enjoyed reading about Sue and her dh dancing-what FUN. And all of the fresh veggies Bill is finding at the farmers market...and the REALLY fresh ones that Mary is growing. The art showing and selling is a different world for me onebyone-I love having that window to see in-good luck tomorrow by the way-what a vulnerable feeling to show a foodlog to a fitness professional-I hope that the plan is realistic and as motivating to you as your first meeting was! sciencequeen: neat idea with the postit notes-sounds very "teacherish" (coming from a fellow teacher!). Welcome! Angelmomma: hang in there on your trip-kudos to you for giving yourself kudos for the good stuff!

Tomorrow I have a dr. visit and, while I am there, I am going to inquire about the sensewear option-if they have them there to lease to patients.

Continuing to struggle with focusing on weight loss....yes, Bill, you captured the whole thing-I am trying to create some sort of summer structure. Some friends teach summer school to do that-I think that next summer, I will take tennis lessons or something like that-not wanting to do summerschool yet. I am still wanting to be convinced that I can "do summer" in healthy and balanced ways that complement and not compete with my goals. I will write in my journal tonight about a possible sabotaging thought regarding summer being difficult... am I eating more with an excuse in mind? I must find my ZONE again!!!! Other possible reasons that I may be emotionally overeating are: time of month and upcoming family reunion-love them but they are anxiety producing at the same time-can anyone else relate? Also-the danskin triathlon is coming up and my training has been minimal. I am doing only the bike leg and am not terribly worried about not being able to finish and my goal is to finish not to win any awards. I am getting sort of freaked though. I am driving the course tomorrow so I can get the REALITY of what I need to do. Lots of exciting things but also can be stressful.

Off to bed. I don't need a sensewear armband to tell me that I am going to bed too late!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:07 AM   #210  

Correction: I love the family reunions and NOT the time of the month... sorry BBE for the girlie talk....
Closed Thread