Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #16  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Thursday Rainy Thursday

Woke up to a rainy Thursday out there. Not the best day to be traipsing across town, artwork in hand, setting up a show. My poor friend Sharon! While I need only snip a wire here and there to take my 8 spaceman paintings down from that outdoor spot, she has to set up a very complicated 30 paintings plus sculpture. That site is all outdoors. She's a wreck already and this will make it worse. I hope the rain stops by the time we are out there doing all this... about 3hrs from now.

I slowly woke up this morning, my DH's 40th bday morning, thinking that I may change the way I think about my meals and become "vegetable focused". In that when I think about "a meal", the focus will be on the veg and what can I do with it. I will have to search out vegetable recipes and the thought of spending as much time on cooking up a veggie dish as opposed to a meat main course just seems to be a smart way to "diet". Half my plate veggie dish, 1/4 carb 1/4 protein. Ultimate would be to eat small 5-6x a day, 2-3 hrs between small meals, but this isn't always possible for me so backup is 3 meals, veggie maincourse, and two snacks--snacks=fruit and/or handful of unsalted nuts. Try to eliminate the sugars. No seconds. Deviations allowed while at farmers' market on S days. But only one deviation per market day. That's becoming an issue at the Ottawa Market on Sunday.

I think these are my two homegrown foodplans coaches.
Just need to implement them and be consistent.

Need to get the weight bench set up. Need to get exercise in... can probably start the Walk Away the Pounds videos again as my ankle is fully healed... maybe start the yoga again. I'm resisting cause it's so trendy now. I started yoga at age 10 and did it until 18, then stopped. At age 22, going to a gym for the first time and weighing 224, I was tested in all areas for an exercsie program and was found to have "olympic athlete flexibilty". You should have seen the face of the gym trainer. He made me do the stretch three times and each time I went further! Great memory that. Far from there today as I write this but I remember that fondly and know my body is capable of many wonderful things. I'm going to add that to my advantage card "To aid in becoming flexible and athletic"

JennyG I hope you had a fantastic Canada Day and your beachwalk sounds much more relaxing and summery than the gym. Where in PEI are you?
I am thinking of moving to Nova Scotia after school for me is done here... looking for cheaper rent than Ottawa and tourists to buy my goods! Should I be also thinking PEI?? I LOVE the look of that red earth Good going sticking to your WW plan!

BillBlueEyes Why you sound as if you've never had orange chips or grape chips? I fondly remember them in the stores when I was about 10. They were around for that summer only I think. They were HORRID! AT the theatres here they will give you free flavour toppings for your popcorn if you ask and one of them is ketchup. It's a close approximation of the chip ketchup flavour. Probably the same chemical mix. 9/10 Salt + 1/10 fake ketchup flavoured red dyed stuff. Nary a tomato in sight! And thank you for identifying your dog bias. My cat has been romping to the bowl since we limited her food. Her eagerness to race for her food starts immediately! I love to see her move quickly.

Note to self: Week 1 Day 3 in progress of KittyX Diet

/\ /\
(O o)
=: ^ :=
'*v*'
Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #17  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Wow you guys are active early. . . or I''m just behind! (prolly both!) I'm redoing day 3 sitting while eating and eating mindfully (and Enjoying!) b/c I had an altercation with an organic bakery yesterday I was sitting! (in my scooter style wheelchair) but that doesn't count
to answer billie's Q briefly since I'm a bit behind at work
Nessa who i believe still posts here was speaking/writing about it and how it's more of a way to change your mental processes and how good it was. She is on my south beach thread and has done quite well so I figured I'd give brain training a shot If it takes longer than the alloted time That's ok I'm in no hurry! It took me a long time to learn the unsuccessful responses to life it should take a while to learn the successful ones! Hope to be back at lunch time!!
and thanks for the welcome!!!
Kierie
Old 07-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #18  

Hello All,

Hope the computer equipment for our internet provider is finally fixed. Each time they worked on it, none of our internet accounts could read our info-i.e. password- so we had to repost all the member id and passwords over and over again-just stop posting for awhile.

Air still remains somewhat smokey as there are over 40 fires which are only 40 % containted after 10 days. Now they are much more isolated (in our county) with less chance of populated areas burning. It still is a shame to lose all those beautiful trees and wildlife homes.

Both my body and mind are at sort of a set point. After weeks of reducing my total cals- I lost nothing and then got discouraged. Now I am treading water-not gain nor losing-just staying in place- the worst is fighting the old "what the Heck attitude -why go back to trying so hard (i.e. doing all the Beck exercises) the draw to do Beck diligently again in that I eventually do lose.

right now I am meditating, journaling and reading about how to learn let go of my sabatoging thoughts. I may always have such thought but need to learn to stop acting on them-can do this for awhile but after time I have such a strong pull to give in to them again. Hey this does sound so wierd but just hate this on and off healthy eating pattern-want to make a permanet change to a consistant heathly eating pattern. It is the big of fight of that old attitude-stop trying you will not be successful-relax and just eating what, when and as much as you want regardless of the health effects. Or you are so capable to make healthy change permanetely-plus you must make such changes in order to be healthy.

Looking forward to being a full time Becker again

Much success to you all

sue
Old 07-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #19  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Sorry all...did not get to post last night because of the weather. We had thunderstorm after thunderstorm. It is now the afternoon and the thunderstorms are finally gone. We had them all last night and during the morning today.
Question...I am on day 6...meet your diet coach. Could I use you all for a diet coach. I really don't have a person close to me that I can use. I talked to my daughter who lives in MI and she said she will help me..she is losing weight (she said that she is not sure if she is doing it the right way, but she is doing it). She will be a support for me....but you all know what we are doing and why.
Last night we went to an all you can eat place and I did really good...got fried shrimp and only had about 5 small and put the rest on the side. I ate salad first and did not have any dessert..that is so good for me.
Did not exercise yet...kinda tired and sore...my back is so I will not do it today, but will pick up tomorrow.
Thanks for letting me join the group...I need this so bad. I leave on vacation on the 20th and dh comes on the 24th. We will be going to milwaukee, WI , bedford, IN, and coldwater MI. I will be checking in as much as possible. Right now I am trying to just keep myself positive and on the program.
The insulin resistance is a diet that you limit your carbs to 2 servings every 2 hours. You link your carbs with protein and most veggies are okay to eat. They call this linking and balancing. It is great for me and for me dh who is diabetic. It works for us.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #20  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday – Independence Day in the United States

Diet Coaches – It worked for me to pack my white bean and tomato salad in a smaller container - thanks for that tip, spryng. CREDIT moi. Indeed, my portions were creeping larger. I might have to resort to using a measuring cup, but that, of course, would require me to decide the portion size in advance. Don't really want to go there since I've not measured my food for the first 33 months of my journey. Do others here measure their portions?

Sue (CoastalSue) - Welcome back to the land of Internet connected. Hope you get some rain to counter all those wild fires - they're just awful. Kudos for identifying your Sabotaging Thought "why go back to trying so hard." And bigger Kudos for planning your Beck strategies to attack it. Rooting for you to make twoderland, you've got it in you.

onebyone – "olympic athlete flexibilty" - now that's a great memory. You can get there again; your body remembers. Great choice of two diets; becoming veggiecentric could help with caloric intake.

angelmomma210 - Yep, you can use the good guys on this forum as your Diet Coach. And, will you diet coach me? There is a benefit to online diet coaches: the Beck program encourages us to discuss and give ourselves credit for small and tedious actions, which would be likely to drive a close relative bonkers, LOL. Kudos for your stellar performance at the all-you-can-eat restaurant. That's not a comfortable place for me yet - I have to actively work at remembering that I have some other goal in life than getting as much food as I can.

Kierie (KO) - What an encouraging attitude, "It took me a long time to learn the unsuccessful responses to life it should take a while to learn the successful ones!" OK, so you're in this for the long run - Kudos, Kudos Kudos.

Readers – " … To successfully lose weight and keep it off, you need to solve these kinds of practical problems. You’ll also need to solve some psychological problems, such as:

• Feeling discouraged when you don’t lose weight consistently or lose as much weight as you had hoped. …" Beck, pg 21.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #21  
persist

Default Good Morning Good Morning

Happy 4th of July to my American friends here!

For this canuck, it's off to work today. The ceramic room will be in order by the time I leave there this afternoon... or close to it. I can't get into the school over the weekend due to my other two jobs at the farmers' markets.
Monday the kid's summer camp classes start and the first one spends two days in the ceramic room so it has to be up and functioning by then. It will be.

I stepped on the scale. 260 and holding steady. I think my body has now decided on this weight to stay still at, up from 250 at the beginning of the year. I am still not trying very hard to lose any weight. I'm getting to it and this morning lying in bed I wondered if I really wanted to. I mean really want to. I really want it to be easy. That's just the truth. I need more journalling and more focus on this goal. What's even easier is putting it out of my mind. But it never goes away. I guess that's the definition of a problem in your life eh? When no matter what you do, it's still there bothering you. You haven't solved it yet. I know when I do try, as in stick to a foodplan and exercise, those nagging thoughts go away no matter my results. I *know* I am trying. Right now, I *know* I am not trying hard enough. But (credit moi) I continue to try new things and ways to approach this. Eventually one will "catch". I (credit moi) may be discouraged but I believe I will get this and sooner rather than later AND it will be something I can live with for the rest of my life. No quick fixes for me. (And that's a credit to me in itself cause I SOOOO WANT the quick fix.)

I got my SPECIMENS ceramic moose display up yesterday. It took 4hrs but it looks good. They are in the "Minto Vitrines". Vitrine=fancy french word for window I believe. So I had the all moose lined up on a ledge waiting to be put into the windows, all 25 of them and a man from Minto (it's a large construction company here who owns the building the vitrines are in: a hotel/shopping/office complex) stopped and looked at my work and asked me if I knew all the characters I had made. Not all of them I said and he asked me how I made them and I told him what the challenge was for me (to get a distinct personality using the same parts and only using colour and collar to give it to them) and then he asked me how much for one and then he asked me how long to make 40. He said they're having a company retreat in Septemeber and may commission me to make character moose for the participants (!). This would be a decent amount of $ for a struggling artist. And i'd like to do it too. Nice. Hope it happens. think good thoughts for me on this. the good thing is he'll see the moose for the next month casue he must work in the building. Exciting.

Oh rats. 8:30am. Gotta go. Enjoy your day whatever you're up to!
Old 07-05-2008, 06:44 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches – On my long walk at a busy square, I encountered three young women singing rounds of Dona Nobis Pacem a cappella - absolutely beautiful and unexpected. Was drawn to toss dollars into their basket until I noticed that they were collecting for a political candidate that I don't support (not to be named, per the rules of 3FC). Alas, I chose instead to lead a resounding round of applause (waking up some apathetic tourists to join in). Odd unexpected choices. Oh Well.

Got in my gym workout early. CREDIT moi. Thank you Bally's for being open, despite being almost empty. Ate on plan despite being the 4th of July. CREDIT moi. Continued reporting to my Diet Coaches with a straight face despite noticing three usages of the same preposition in one paragraph. CREDIT moi.

onebyone – Kudos for doggedly trying new approaches to get the onebyone. My take is that "not really wanting this" is a Sabotaging Thought to be vanquished by exposure to the light - which you've just done. Perhaps you need to suffer a little more by doing planning the day before and making your commitment the day before. My take on Beck is that we substitute the pain of planning for tomorrow - which really can be done, for the pain of battling food Desires with willpower - which is an iffy challenge. Sending you supportive thoughts for getting a plan for your markets this weekend. As well as best wishes for strong sales.

Selling 40 moose ceramics at once will be quite a score. Keeping fingers crossed.

Readers – " … To successfully lose weight and keep it off, you need to solve these kinds of practical problems. You’ll also need to solve some psychological problems, such as:

• Feeling stressed by other life problems. …" Beck, pg 21.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi Everyone!! SO I had my first official weigh in this morning, down 3.2 pounds!!!!! Wahoooo!! Hope you all are having a great weekend so far, its beautiful here on PEI, I am thinking on beaching it since I have the day off! I also went to a restaurant Thursday nite, and passed on the bread, credit moi! As well stayed below my daily points limit!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Onebyone What are you taking in school?? PEI is beautiful, but the winters aren't so nice and there isn't much to do. NS is amazing, I love Halifax, plus honestly there is probably more work there and lots more to do, and if I were you I would move to NS and come visit PEI when you can, it is definitly a beautiful place to be and to see!! Come visit me anytime!! I am actually moving to New Brunswick in the fall, for school, and then hopefully out to the states (Georgia) to further my education. Anyways keep me posted on your plans!!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #25  
persist

Default Saturday Hello

Hello coaches

Today I was scheduled to do a demo of my plastic crafts at the market. I had DH taking my place in my booth while I was outside doing my thing. I decided I'd try and see if I liked doing that kind of thing. I don't. In particular I wasn't keen on the small demanding children. Give me teens, oldsters and adults. I can handle all of them, but demanding tots really throw me. Don't think I'll be doing that again soon.

Foodwise I overate yesterday. Today I did better. No sugar so far. No treats at the market. I'm making a plan for tomorrow tonight.

I'm so relieved this past week is over. We moved the ceramic room and all its contents this past week, and moved the contents of the kiln room after that. In between I set up my show and took another show down and my DH had his 40th. Big week. I agreed to show up at the school Monday evening to get the rest of the stuff back into the kiln room, and after that is done things go back to normal. Normal and busy.

We had to cancel our vacation this year. I'm mopey about that. We're trying to be adults and responsible and not get any further into debt. It's no fun. I was really looking forward to our trip. Oh Well. No Choice.

BillBlueEyes I never thought that "not really wanting this" could qualify as a sabotaging thought, but really, that thought is not helpful at all, and as such, all it does is undermine me = sabotaging thought. Thank you for this insight. Wonder what else I am thinking that's undoing me? And if I follow you, we trade the pain of planning, (which is an action we can definitely take) vs. not planning and therefore relying on battling food urges(desire) in the moment which we have proven to ourselves over and over that this is a sticky wicket indeed. Interesting. Less that a 50% chance we'll consistently succeed doing things this way isn't it? Thanks for all the food for thought.

JennyG Thanks for the tips about PEI and NS. I am finishing up my third year of an art school here in Ottawa and want to move out of here cause it's way too expensive. I think of going to NS and Halifax because I sell at farmers' markets now and know Halifax has a great thriving market that's year round that I can start at when I get there. So I have a way to start bringing in $ immediately. Also, I can keep on going to school at NASCAD if I decide to do that, to pursue a Masters of Fine Arts, or to just take interesting courses. And then there's just how pretty it is. And the ocean. That's what I am thinking about. What are studying in NB? And what do you hope to study in Georgia?? Exciting!

Have a good evening coaches. Hello to all who read this!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 227/200/175

Height: 5'4"

Just checking in,I will be seeing the doctor on Thur and will be following an ada exchange diet 1500-1600 cal per day.I have fallen off the wagon in the mud somewhere and I am trying to get back up.Work has been real nasty and I am preparing for a reassessment appeal on the house for Monday.Alot of stress.Hi everyone!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #27  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Hey all my dear coaches.

Did not all that great yesterday. Furbaby was going crazy what with all the people around doing fireworks. Did okay in the day but we took furbaby to the outdoor theater last night. Had popcorn and soda. All they had was diet coke...which I cannot have..my heart goes into a-fib and I cannot have soda with caffine. I even have to be careful with chocolate. We also had a pizza..I had three pieces and then dh had his and we gave the rest away. So I did have something good that I did. We also took the dog for a walk at the airbase before we went to the theater. That was fun.
Only 2 weeks before I leave for vacation..need to get my bottom in gear.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:22 AM   #28  

Hi there friends, remember me? I have been reading sporadically and not posting but have no good explanation for it other than I haven't been Becking my best Beck lately. I know that the rule is that we can leave/come back with no explanation...this is a GREAT place and Beck is a great way to overcome my eating issues...it is still not easy for me. I know it isn't easy for any of us.

Things are okay here...I am rereading the book again. I am on day three today and have been very good about reviewing my reasons for losing. My biggest one sort of captures all of it for me: I want enough energy to do what I want to in life: mommying, doggying, teaching, landladying, learning and socializing. I have been "back in the game" for the first two days and then today ate some of dd's grilled cheese sand. and then ate some unplanned ice cream. For the LOVE... I did absolutely fine at the big party yesterday with tons of food around me...part of it may be PMS today.

Anyway, I have decided that, since I am a teacher and on summer break, that I need a little bit of structure, a little something to keep me focused on where I am going, etc... I am making my first 10 min and last 10 min of the day be time for journaling and reflecting. I LOVE the summertime and all the flexibility but also am challenged with falling into that blasted "auto pilot" type stuff...not really planning/deciding what I want to do but drifting and doing whatever strikes me.. Hope that makes sense. I feel much clearer and intentional when I take some time like that...

I really want to use my Beck tools again. I was OFF the wagon about 75% for the last couple of weeks. I finally faced the music and got on the scale. I was expecting the worst. I did gain 8 lbs in the last whatever amount of time...I am celebrating my maintenance of the other 45 lbs that I have lost and kept off. Seriously, that is a large amount. It is so scary, having been up and down so much, to fall a bit and get over the black and white thinking that "here we go back on the weight GAIN part of the cycle..". I have to remember that life is not like that and that I am overcoming habits and behaviors that have been like old friends for many years.

So..now I have TWO new dogs and they are so much fun. They are such good therapy after having lost my sweet Old English Sheepdog Henry in May. First new dog (another OES, Edgar) is my "rebound dog" and the mini schnauzer, Hogan is my backup dog. They are quite a pair and I am getting a lot of good exercise getting them out and moving. Some of you may remember my description of the workout I give the big dog (and myself)-kick the soccer ball across my huge backyard, let the dog chase it, then I run over to kick it across the other way...I have moved up to using 2 soccer balls so he will come back to chase the second-a bit less of a workout for me but still all good. Neighbors have still not turned me in to the nuthouse so all is good.

Good to communicate with my diet coaches again.

BBE: Thanks for doing the banana experiment-I would have tried it myself had you not already figured out that it is a bogus solution to that stringy problem. HILARIOUS! I am not a fan of those stringy things.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:51 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches – Such a tiny thing, but SO stupid. The supermarket was giving out FREE 4 ounce samples of their cola. I drank one. I burped. It tasted like cola. But I don't drink cola. I never drink cola. I wasn't thirsty. I wasn't hungry. I have no need for the HFCS, the caffeine, or the 55 empty calories. Obviously I need to continue working on my response to FREE food. Oh Well.

After dinner I realized that it had been a stellar on plan eating day with a good long walk. CREDIT moi. Also realized that it had been a vegetarian day, but of greater interest to me, I was no longer celebrating the rarity of that; they happen more and more often as healthy eating takes hold. Main dish for lunch was peanut butter, banana and walnut sandwich on toasted whole wheat bread ends; main dish for dinner was Dahl (lentils). Meat becomes less the central point of each meal. Thats real progress. CREDIT moi.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Welcome Hogan. A backup dog, like a backup diet plan is sooooo Beck, LOL. I really like how much you combine into your first Advantage: "I want enough energy to do what I want to in life: mommying, doggying, teaching, landladying, learning and socializing." It's so Heidi to succinctly get it all in one statement. Stick around; I do appreciate your clarity as one of my Diet Coaches. And I toast your "some of dd's grilled cheese sand." with my FREE 4 ounce supermarket brand cola.

Interesting thoughts about the challenges as you shift from super busy structured teaching to more open summer. Kudos for focusing on your need to respond to that. And Kudos for maintaining those 45 pounds, with BIG Kudos for giving yourself credit.

wendy (wendylan) - Ouch for the stresses of work and reassessment. Kudos for getting back on track. Keeping fingers crossed for a favorable result of the appeal.

onebyone – You continue to inspire me wrestling with the thinking about staying on plan. Sending supportive thoughts as you get your head spun straight. Kudos for all the productive work getting the ceramics lab restored. Ouch for the missed vacation; BIG BIG BIG Kudos for making a responsible financial decision. That kind of decision certainly strengthens the responsible muscle, which supports the staying on plan muscle. You're winning.

JennyG - Congrats on the 3.2 pounds lost. Kudos for passing the bread in a restaurant. And Double Kudos for giving yourself credit for it.

angelmomma210 - Kudos for taking the walk with your dog. And Kudos for giving away the excess pizza. Ouch for furbaby's pain hearing the fireworks - I well remember my loved Aussie hiding in a bedroom on the 4th of July.

Readers – " … Cognitive Therapy helps you solve both practical and psychological problems and learn new thinking and behavioral skills – skills you’ll be able to use for the rest of your life. You’ll not only overcome your current problems, but also learn how to use you new skills to overcome future problems. Beck, pg 21.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #30  
persist

Good early morning coaches.

It's another glorious summer day out there. Promises to hold steady throughout the day. I am off to market this morning. I have to leave by 6:30 now instead of 7 as the market is getting so full of vendors that if I leave at 7 I arrive to Linda, market manager saying "Oh you go the last spot. One day there'll be no spots so I gotta go earlier!

I've had some caraway cheese bread for breakfast and will give away my free loaf of muesli bread to my booth partner Tim this morning. A baker at my Sat. market often gives me a loaf of her leftover bread and I am not fond of her breads (they always taste sweet) but can't tell her that! It just dawned on me I can give it to Tim, who has two hungry boys to feed as well as himself. I am sure they'll gobble it up... or he will.

Better go. I am having one meal and one snack at the market today.

Have a good Sunday. Gotta run.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-06-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Closed Thread