Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:29 PM   #136  
Time2fly

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Why are the IGNORANT always so verbal?

No wonder no one wants to tell other people they are taking alli. People, negative, ignorant, rhymes-with-witchy people are just being so horrible. If she's not interested in taking it, she doesn't have to. But why bash you or make you feel bad for a using something that is working for you? On the Alli site, people are all talking about the beatings they have taken on the Weight Watchers board. They don't even feel welcome there, and many are saying they are experiencing the same thing in meetings.
I guess the best defense and the best revenge is results. People aren't just taking alli because it "enhances" your willpower through fear. It's also a great program because it will help you lose weight faster by trapping the fat while it FORCES you to eat a low fat diet. So while that "sweetheart" is spending all her energy spewing her ugliness on other people's blogs, you will be losing 50% faster than her. (insert evil laugh here)
Julie
Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #137  

Default alli & headache

Hello,

I just began taking alli on Monday 6/25. Since then I have had a headache after I eat and take alli . I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing a headache and if so what they have done about it.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #138  
Happy New Rears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umagurl View Post
So I have a weight loss blog and some girl today commented this:

It blocks fat absorption, right? But only if you are eating fatty stuff? So if you are eating the diet they recommend, what does the Alli do and why do you need it? Is it just like “oh, I have to eat this way so that I don’t crap my pants?”

Seems like a big unhealthy marketing scam to me, and a way to either prevent yourself from eating bad foods, or to be able to “cheat” and still eat it without absorbing the calories.

So really it bummed me out, cause thats exactly why i like it, cause if I eat something, I will have a TE. She just made it sound so bad.

But whatever works right???
Think of it this way. If you and that blog girl are both on a diet eating 20 grams of fat a day, at the end of the week you have both had 140grams of fat. But you on Alli, have not absorbed anywhere near as much as blog girl. Even though you both ate low fat all week, the person on Alli would have a lower overall intake and that produces better results.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:19 PM   #139  
Sheila

S/C/G: 198/198/153

Height: 5'9"

Hi Umagirl - I too agree with you about the alli board. I had never been to this site before & just typed in alli and weight watchers with this site coming up! Hopefully others will do the same.

Off the subject - where did you get your phoenix symbol? I like that - makes me think of Harry Potter!

About Me: St. Louis, Missouri age 51 surgical menopause & I stopped hormones a couple of months ago. Started alli 6/26, so it's only been a few days. I had a headache the first two days and a slight one today - but it's gone now. And it's NOT due to lack of caffeine or water.

I am very determined this time to lose the weight I've gained the past 7 years due to my taking care of my elderly father. He's not overweight - just a tall, 6'4/220man. Anyway, he has parkinson's disease & was in an accident in April where it left him unable to walk or move on his own. IT WAS SO HARD to lift him into a wheel chair, get him into bed, help him to the bathroom - that I started thinking what will my kids do when I'm old and I need help moving around. I don't want to be so overweight that they end up putting me in a nursing home because they can't lift or care for me. And I honestly think that my husband would attempt to help for awhile but not long term. I think women tend to be more of a caregiver. Hopefully, I will lose my weight, be healthier, look good (lol), and be that young feeling person that I know is begging to come out. Bright side - the doctor did put my dad in a convalescent home, he's home & is now able to walk with a walker. My Mom can assist with his daily needs unless he falls. BUT I am still very determined & will lose my weight to make me feel better all around. ~~ethel
Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 194/190/145

Height: 5'3

Umagirl... when I was posting on an alli thread on a different category I got the SAME reaction. In fact, what you read back to us sounded exactly like one girl that was really negative and almost belligerent about it... Blow her off... it is working for so many people!

I consider myself a "professional" dieter. I could be a dietician I have so much info and stats in my head, but I have never been able to successfully lose weight. Alli is just another tool in my arsenal... if she can do it the old fashioned way with will power... good for her. But some of us need a little help and there is nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I think the alli folks are brilliant. While their message boards are awful... the rest of their website is actually helpfull. They are HONESTLY trying to help people lose weight and instill good eating habits. KUDOS to them and KUDOS to you for taking some action!

Beecar... unfortunatly the headache does seem to be a side effect for the first few days while your body adjusts. Many of us here had headaches, but they have since disappeared. According to the alli people, it is because you have changed your eating habits. (I don't really buy that... I think it is our body getting used to the drug.) But I started taking my multi vitamin and it helped!

Good Luck!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:31 PM   #141  
Sheila

OK, so I completely replied back to the wrong person. I was responding to PHOENIX32203. Sorry, UMAGIRL! And I signed ethel instead of sheila because I thought I signed up under Ethel (as in Lucy & Ethel)!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:25 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 178/175/130

Height: 5'2"

Have you cut down on caffeine since you started? That could cause headaches as well (withdrawal).
Old 06-29-2007, 12:27 AM   #143  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I'm on day three myself. I'll let you know if I lost any weight on day seven.

I'm VERY shocked at my lack of appetite or need for sweets. I follow a calorie diet, and always make sure they're added in before my daily calories are used up. However, the last two days, I've had to force myself to eat the other half of my calories. This is bizarre in itself, with my love of eating.

I feel great, though! I exercised on my recumbrant bike for 35 minutes and swam around the lake in my backyard for 50 minutes tonight. I didn't want to get out of the lake, as I was having so much fun, but it was getting dark out and I was by myself.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:43 AM   #144  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I must say to some of you- you need to keep your chins UP and stop worrying about what others think! Don't drive yourself crazy over this- so long as it helps, and is healthy, who cares?

I couldn't give a rat's monkey arse if anyone sees me buy it and disapproves. At least I am trying to do something to improve my health. To be honest with you, when I am shopping, I am pretty oblivious to what other people are doing anyway because I have too much on my mind on what I have to buy and what I'm going to prepare for dinner so I don't get the orange hershey squirts in my undies.

Let em balk, I say. So long as this has no negative side effects or does nothing to harm our health, buy away!

Then again, I am still a 12 year old girl in a 43 year old woman's body. I ordered online weighted hoola hoops for my daughters and I last night, can't wait to get them. I'm also getting a jumprope for us to play outside, like we did last year. I have to get a few more bouncy balls, as my Yorkie bit our last ball last night, and it obviously deflated. My son, the dog (no word of lie, he thinks he's human!), and I played volleyball in the lake last night, it was a blast! Unfortunately, I didn't get the ball fast enough when we came out of the water for the night, and the doggie killed the ball.

Just have fun with the weight loss, no matter how you do it!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:12 AM   #145  

Some of you ladies mention that you have to go more frequently. I'm starting a new job on Monday and afraid I'll have to be in the bathroom all the time. I don't want to be known as the new girl who's pooping all the time.

How frequent is freqent? Is it a gotta go NOW kind of frequent? I've read some reviews of users who've had no control over the oil leaking from their behind but it doesn't seem as though any of you ladies are experiencing any of those effects. I'm sure it's because some people aren't following the low-fat plan that is required.

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by YummyMummy77; 06-29-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:18 AM   #146  
Shedding My Cocoon

S/C/G: 230.2/226.4/130

Height: 5'6"

I haven't tried alli yet, YummyMummy, but I want to! I just wanted to wish you welcome and luck with the new job.

In regards to alli, these are my thoughts and questions:

So alli blocks about a quarter of the fat (and therefore a quarter of the calories FROM fat) consumed from being absorbed; doesn't that mean you will need to eat more calories to compensate, so your body won't go into "starvation mode?" Is that why the calorie counts on alli's diet plans seem so high? If so, is there any point to taking alli if you're already cutting your calories by a "sensible" amount - not so low as to starve your body, and to allow gradual calorie reduction as your weight comes off? I'm seeing some sensational results from those kindly posting their experiences in this thread, but I'm wondering if it's any more effective than cutting a few hundred calories from your diet by your own means, and if the results are any different?

I think I must be missing something, here, and I've gone over all of the information on the site a couple of times.

If what I'm thinking is true, some folks who are continuing with very low-cal diets while taking alli may either experience a ton of weightloss (you're cutting even more calories than before!) or none at all, because your body is getting too few calories and is desperately conserving.

I'd also be very interested in hearing if the weight continues to come off at a turbo rate for those who are losing 3+ pounds per week. Why? Because I'm wondering if the first few days - or even weeks - aren't shedding some extra water and "whatnot" due to alli almost being a mild diuretic/laxative.

It sounds like it's working surprisingly well when coupled with sensible eating and exercise, and I very much want to try alli, but I just need to be convinced! Thoughts?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:06 AM   #147  
Im Tryin Real Hard!!!

S/C/G: 170/168/130

Height: 5ft 5inches

Default Buying Alli Tomorrow

I'm going to start this tomorrow. I am going to combine it with the WW that I am currently doing. I am trying to lost at least 10lbs before my husband comes home from his 6 month TDY (which is in about 1 1/2 months) Ill let you all know how it goes... Im going to read some more of all of your experinces.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #148  
Time2fly

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'5"

Default It is really working!

Yummymummy: I am down 10 pounds in a week and I haven't been hungry at all. I really don't think the calorie limits are all that low--I've been doing 1600-1800 a day. I feel really satisfied and have so far had great results--can't beat that with a stick. On top of it all, no side effects. I guess I have to say another reason it really has worked for me so far is that, right or wrong, it completely removes (for me) that chance I will slip because it there is no way that binge will go unnoticed. I even passed up pepperoni pizza last nite, and I am DA QUEEN of pepperoni pizza. Hope this helps.

Cygnss: (Ethel--HA!) I found it at google.com images by typing in phoenix. There are pages and pages of anything you are looking for there. Good luck!

ttk117: I saw the posts on the other thread. I just wonder what the point is of those kinds of comments, other than to embarrass people and put them down. This is something that is working, it's a choice we've made. It's ok to voice your opinion I guess, but I don't understand the vicious nature of the posts. I agree with you, though, the alli people are great, and the rest of the site is awesome. I just wish they'd fix those boards. AAAARGH!

Steelslady--Nice to meet you! I too am a 12 year-old girl in an older body! Love that sidewalk chalk.

Have a great day!
Julie
Old 06-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #149  
katallan

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

"Works for me since I didn't come with will power pre-installed." I loved this one ballon lady! I will definitely have to remember that one!

It seems all of us are having to deal with the "nay-sayers". And the questions of "why take it if you are doing the low fat diet".

Well the reason I am taking this is because I cannot do this by myself. I need some help! As I said before, it keeps me honest. I am conscious of what I put in my mouth instead of eating handfuls of potato chips and then going "I can't believe I ate the whole bag!". Plus it is re-enforcing all of those healthy habits I need to have to maintain a healthy lifestyle once I shed some of this weight! If I do it enough, it should become habit

Anyway, it is working for me, and I had more weight loss with it than without it. And I think that is all that matters.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #150  
Sheila

Hi YummyMummy77 - I have been taking alli for 4 days. I have had no treatment effects. I stay within my calories and fat limits & there have been no problems. Just remember according to the alli site that your treatment effects come out 24-48 hours after you eat over your designated fat/cal allowance. I eat anything I want, just smaller portions or not together. Last night I had spaghetti & meatsauce and a salad with all the trimmings (FF cheddar cheese & FF Italian dressing). I measured & made sure I was within my limits. I follow weight watchers guidelines. I do drink a lot of water - which is normal for me - and run to the bathroom for that reason. But if you're younger you can probably hold it longer than me A lot of people have no treatment effects unless they go over & I'm not planning on that!
I have been told by alli that if you know you are going to a special occasion such as a wedding watch your diet very carefully 2 days BEFORE you go. Hope that helps. ~~sheila
Closed Thread