Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

My little wine experiment is OVER. Have had one 5 oz glass of red wine the last two evenings with dinner. The next day, up a pound. So how does 1 glass of wine = 1 lb? I know it's not fat, but what the heck is it? When I weighed 200 lbs. I could drink 2 glasses of wine at night and show no difference on the scale in the morning. Sigh.

Flappy tummy skin: Ugh. I have that too. Dr. Wilkinson says it will shrink down after a year, but a lot of that has do with age, genetics, etc. But I'm in size 8 so it doesn't really show that much but I don't tuck in my shirts. The thing that bothers me the most is my bat wings and my thighs. When I bend down, all the extra skin on my arm makes me look like an Ent (tree people from The Hobbit) The same on my inner thighs. I didn't have a problem wearing a skirt type bathing suit when I was fat, but the idea of all that saggy skin showing in a one piece (a skirt type won't cover it) makes me cringe. I was hoping that exercise and time would solve some of it before summer. I haven't done any research on the surgery but I imagine it's big bucks and of course, not covered by insurance.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #242  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdcslim View Post
ChipnDio & Jenny38 Thanks for your thoughts, I keep thinking about it when I look in the mirror in the morning getting dressed for work.

Anybody done any research re cost??

E
I'm in Canada but when I looked it up it was $6000. With a mini(below the belly button) there is no overnight stay and you are back to work in 5-7 days.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 187.4/137/140

I am brand new to posting on these boards, but not to IP. I have been lurking throughout my entire journey, which began in August 2014. I reached goal on New Year's Eve and am getting ready to make the leap into Maintenance. I have been reading old threads and see many references to ratios. I have not, however, been able to figure out what these ratios should be and in reference to which groups of foods. I understand the concept of keeping carbs and fats separated, but I don't understand how these ratios figure in. The information provided by IP on maintenance is too loosely goosed for my comfort. Everyone here seems so helpful, that I thought this would be the best place to get this question answered. Your thoughts would be very mush appreciated.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #244  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

The ratios are suggested as 3:1. For the fat meal it would be 3 times the fat grams than the net carbs. For your carb mea, 3 times the net carb grams compared to the fat. Many use my fitness pal site to see these calculations. One of the IP videos suggested the 3:1 but you are right, they flip flop on the advice. My coach told me nothing about the ratios, only told me how many calories,carbs and grams of protein to have but when I sat down to meal plan it wasn't possible to find a menu to fit her macros. I general, the separation is the most important part.

Last edited by ChipnDip; 01-21-2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Typos!
Old 01-21-2015, 09:52 PM   #245  

Thanks for the insight ChipnDip. That was exactly what I was looking for. I have been using My Fitness Pal to help me plan my phase 3 breakfasts, so I am getting comfortable using it. Now, at least I have some parameters to work with when I start maintenance. Thanks again!

Last edited by hellafat; 01-21-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #246  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

MFP helps immensely with the figuring out of ratios... I have my view choices set for calories, carbs, fibre (if they are next to each other it makes it easier to figure out NET carbs), protein, sugar.
If you are wondering about a planned meal, you can feed all the info in before you cook it and see how it fits into your macros (3:1) and tweak it if need be. My coach never talked much about the macros themselves, just to make sure I got enough protein. The calories and carbs are very person specific as some people need more calories (they have a lot more exercise in their lives) for maintenance, and some people are very carb sensitive and still need to keep the total net carbs down. the big focus that I noted was the separation or dissociation of carbs and fats.
Welcome hellafat!

Liana
Old 01-22-2015, 06:53 AM   #247  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Andrea- that's crazy about the wine but clearly your body had a reaction. It wouldn't be a fat Lb. It will come off quickly, maybe drink lots of waster??

chip& liana, I still benefit each time I read about the ratios, thanks.

I have a cold the kids have colds and DH is heading out of town for the weekend (but I'm happy he's getting away he's been working hard). Hoping theses colds won't last, it has sucked the energy right out of me.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #248  
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/157 /137

Height: 5'4

Hi all - thanks again for the ratios, appreciate the reminder!

Jenny 38 I, too, have a cold, yuk! 2nd insanity class tonight, hopefully I can sweat it out without killing myself in the process! Plan to eat my bar afterwards as it's more calories and more carbs than the gel and I have at least 90 mins before I can eat dinner.

Have a great day ladies!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #249  

Happy Thursday Maintainers!

hellafatWelcome. I chuckled when I saw your screen name! I can't imagine trying to get ratios and macros right without MFP. It works great for what we are doing in Maintanence.

Liana Aren't you Mexico bound soon? Totally jealous. It's pouring rain here today and COLD . Not Canada cold, but Texas cold.

Jenny So sorry you and the kiddos are sick. Bummer. I am drinking water like crazy. Still have the 2 up lbs. But I did notice my sodium levels were up for a few days as well. This is all an experiment on my body so I have some data now and I'll see what happens the next time I have wine. Because wine. Giving it up completely just isn't an option.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #250  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Hello Maintainers;

Things are going well. I still deal with my weekends as challenges but then do well usually during the week. I'm trying to get back at a better exercise schedule. I've just been doing 2 days a week the last while so hoping to get back to 5. Sorry you are sick Jenny! No fun when everyone is not well. And I agree Catlady, life without wine isn't an option. We just have to be moderate! I continue to read all the posts everyone writes and enjoy all of your input.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #251  

When I started this journey, I was hellafat. Not so true anymore. The name reminds me of where I can be again without vigilance. I have to admit, maintenance scares me. I know how easy it will be to fall back into old habits. My "cheats" we're few and far between while on phase 1, phase 3 has held more temptation, but reading all these upbeat posts has helped me stay strong. I hope I can continue that into maintenance.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:54 AM   #252  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Working tomorrow morning, last check in with our postie since all of us are waiting on the USPS Priority Post envelope with paycheques in it....Everybody needs their money and it all comes to me to parcel out! Stressing, since if it doesn't come tomorrow, my sub will have to pick up my mail next week, go to the post office and sign for the envelope, then deliver to the drivers. Before she can do that I have to give the post office a signed authorization. PRAYING it will be here tomorrow!!!
Tomorrow evening staying near the airport (car is parked for free for the vacation when we stay 1 night), then flying out VERY early 6am Sat. - so we have to check in at the airport for 4:30 am at the latest.
All is packed except our toothbrushes, lol. Picked up pesos & took USD out of my US account today. Essential English/Spanish translation app and books are downloaded on our tablet.
Good to go!
needed something more tropical than a carrot, lol.

Hope all the sickiepoos getting feeling peppy again. See you all in a couple weeks.
Liana
Old 01-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #253  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Hi Everyone!

Sheesh, this is my first chance to post since things have been CRAZY for me!

Liana....Have a great time on your trip! I'm soooooooo jealous!

Jenny....Hope you and your kiddos are feeling better.

Hawaii....Sounds like you're doing great! I'm having a really hard time getting my exercise in also, right now just trying to keep my steps up with my fitbit. Missing my Zumba sooooo badly!

Catlady.....My weight did all kinds of crazy things (and, frankly, still does) in P4. I find I almost have to watch it trend for an entire month to get a better picture of if I'm REALLY up or down. I have never tried RuthAnn's app she suggested.

Hellafat.....Welcome to maintenance....you'll do great!

I have hardly had a chance to take a breath since getting back in town after my dad's death. Last week, my son came down with strep throat. My hubby and I had to scramble around with our work schedules. This week, my daughter came down with scarlet fever (eek! but it's actually scarlet fever is just a bad strep infection with a rash). So, we were back to scrambling again this week.

Today I have to work on billing for my business. Luckily, I buckled down last weekend and am almost done with getting everything in order for the accountant to do my 2013 taxes. Phew!

I've been having a hard time eating as nutritiously as I have been. In fact, I have had several nights this week where I have pretty much skipped dinner. So, I am actually down weight by a few pounds....and not trying to do that. Luckily, next week I won't be working such crazy hours, so I can get back on track with eating a good dinner after work.

On a good note, I haven't sucked down everything in sight even when I'm stressed.....so I take that as SUCCESS!!!!!!

This weekend, I need to have all my veggies precut and ready for simple salads and have a tenderloin ready to go in the oven on Monday so I can be eating WELL again!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #254  

S/C/G: 164.5/131.4/130

Height: 5'2.5"

evemomma - so glad to hear you are doing well. You are truly an inspiration to me the way you handle your food, ratios, etc. Your posts have helped me more than you know! I hope your kids feel better quickly!

Liana - Have fun - I am soooo jealous!

hellafat - welcome to maintenance - I am not here all the time but I do pop in to catch up

Hawaii69 - I agree, weekends are tough for me too. Definitely the hardest part of the week!

catlady1981 - loved hearing about your wine experiment, I need to do a wine experiment myself. I am with you - wine is something I am not willing to give up!

ecdcslim - congrats on being so close to your goal!

Jenny38 - I hope you and the kids are feeling better - you are an inspiration for me getting my exercise!

Great to see everyone else around as well! I am slowly but surely starting to add exercise in to my day. I am walking/running on the treadmill when it is rainy and hubby and I are walking outside when the weather cooperates. Feels great and gets me motivated to keep doing it more. I do have a question for those that run/walk....when MFP gives you extra calories from exercise do you tend to eat them? All of them? 1/2 of them? Or not at all?

I am currently in my range but at the higher end since I started exercise. I am just keeping it up and hoping I am retaining some water because I have also had about 3 high sodium days in a row!

Last edited by SallyE; 01-23-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #255  

Liana Enjoy Mexico! A friend just got back from Cabo and said the weather was fantastic. Have a wonderful time.

The only two Spanish phrases you need to know:

Donde esta el bano? - Where is the bathroom
POR FAVOR TRAER ME A MARGARITA - Please bring me a margarita.

Sally E: I have been more consistent with exercise the past 2 weeks. I'm starting out slow so I don't hurt myself. I keep a log and try to do a little more each week.

My goals are:

Leslie Sansone Walk at Home 3 miles 2x a week
Stationary Bicycle 30 minutes 2x a week
Strength training 2x a week
Hiking 2 miles or more on a weekend day
Sunday- Domestic goddess calories burned

Maybe that accounts for the 2 up lbs instead of the wine! As far as "eating back" the exercise calories, not really. I eat what I eat that day. I think it all evens out anyway.

Last edited by catlady1981; 01-23-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Closed Thread