Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #346  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

Mars, funny because I was just reminding myself that I would not die from a little hunger. (Phase 1 Day today). Maintenance is such a process. It does surprise me that 5 up pounds in maintenance can feel like the burden of the 90 lost mentally. The focus of maintenance can be consuming and so food peace would be wonderful.

Ecdslim, isn't amazing how something as simple as a pear can be absolutely delicious? Being on IP for an extended time really refreshes the palate. Good for you, sticking so close to plan for Super Bowl.

Liana, welcome home. Your trip sounds fabulous!

Back to school today. The roads were terrible, but we need to educate the youth,lol! It was nice to see them
Old 02-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #347  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Hello Maintainers!!!!!

I'm getting stood-up (grrrr), so I thought I would check in here with my idle time!

Slip....I wondered how soon you would be getting back to school. Wishing you clear roads the rest of the week!

Mars.....Good wisdom from you! Thanks ever so much for your input!

Today is one of my crazy long days. The good news is I don't really have time to overeat - and I don't keep any no-no treats at work. The hard part is I'm often so tired when I get home from work that I just want to eat something fast. I have pork tenderloin ready and waiting to heat up over a bed of spinach greens....but I don't have any other fresh cut veggies. Maybe that will be as good as it gets today.

Adding to more of the "food peace" conversation....I tell myself that I can no more fix my life with a serving of food than ruin my life with it. It was a LONG and extended series of poor choices that led to me being overweight:
not weighing myself regularly, simply pusing aside pants that started to be too snug in my closet and opting for stretchier ones, choosing fast food as a constant convenient choice, not paying attention to my own hunger cues, eating my feelings....etc.

I remind myself that, though I need to be vigilant to this slippery slope, that one small slip does not land me back where I started!
Old 02-04-2015, 02:56 AM   #348  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Albacore (solid white) on the beach, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116 (640x480).jpg (40.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-04-2015, 06:28 AM   #349  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Liana - you look beautiful. It sound s liked your holiday was lovely and quiet without tons of tourists around. Lol at " divorce and lovers" beach. I'm totally impressed with you only being up 1 lb which likey is due to flying.

Ruth Ann - congrats being PT free and I think it's great that they will consult with a personal trainer around a good plan for you. I didn't realize all the back surgeries you've had, that's scary.

Eve 5,000 steps before 10 am! Wow. Other than my working out/running I don't think I take too many steps.

Delgan - congratulations on moving on to P2! It's hard to not worry about eating more but your introducing good healthy food and the IP plan works.

Slip - glad you out of the house. The kids had a snow day Monday and thankfully I didn't have to work till noon so roads were a lot better. We're spouses to be getting more snow today.

My chest has been tight still so tired, went back to dr. Monday and on antibiotics and 50mg of prednisone (which I will have to be careful to watch for increased appetite). Feeling some relief already and no running outside for me until Saturday. I didn't do a P1 on Monday this week, was still at the low end and just not feeling motivated. That being said I need to do it this week as one day a week is part of my successful maintainence plan so either today or tomorrow.

Happy Wednesday
Old 02-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #350  

Good morning,

Second Phase 1 day for me today. Scale is starting to respond. These are 3 stubborn pounds! Needed a good reminder to clean up my routine. Have been checking out the Maintainers- what are you eating for ideas- so thanks

Have a great day!
Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #351  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
Hi everyone,

Mars, funny because I was just reminding myself that I would not die from a little hunger. (Phase 1 Day today). Maintenance is such a process. It does surprise me that 5 up pounds in maintenance can feel like the burden of the 90 lost mentally. The focus of maintenance can be consuming and so food peace would be wonderful.
This is SO TRUE for me! I still respond to hunger as an urgent thing to fix, though. Maintenance is totally worth the effort but wouldn't it be nice if it took a little less intense focus? Maile once posted statistics about probability of maintaining year by year. The longer you maintain, the more likely it is that you will continue to do so. Maybe it really does get a little easier over time, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
Second Phase 1 day for me today. Scale is starting to respond. These are 3 stubborn pounds! Needed a good reminder to clean up my routine. Have been checking out the Maintainers- what are you eating for ideas- so thanks

Have a great day!
Congrats on 2 days of P1. I like the way P1 days serve to recalibrate our brains & taste buds. And also to rekindle a sense of confidence in our ability to eat well. I'm glad you are getting a response from the scale, too The maintainers meals thread have so many great menus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post
Hello Maintainers!!!!!

Adding to more of the "food peace" conversation....I tell myself that I can no more fix my life with a serving of food than ruin my life with it. It was a LONG and extended series of poor choices that led to me being overweight:
not weighing myself regularly, simply pusing aside pants that started to be too snug in my closet and opting for stretchier ones, choosing fast food as a constant convenient choice, not paying attention to my own hunger cues, eating my feelings....etc.

I remind myself that, though I need to be vigilant to this slippery slope, that one small slip does not land me back where I started!
Yes to this! And thank-you for introducing the concept of food peace to this discussion evemomma It's really a big piece of the puzzle in figuring out maintenance! I hope you enjoyed the brownies! And that the rest of your week is smooth sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny38 View Post
My chest has been tight still so tired, went back to dr. Monday and on antibiotics and 50mg of prednisone (which I will have to be careful to watch for increased appetite). Feeling some relief already and no running outside for me until Saturday. I didn't do a P1 on Monday this week, was still at the low end and just not feeling motivated. That being said I need to do it this week as one day a week is part of my successful maintainence plan so either today or tomorrow.

Happy Wednesday
Hang in there, Jenny38! Sounds like your body could do with a rest to finish recuperating. Back in the dawn of time when I was a runner, I found that running while recovering from a cold, even a little bit during the tail end of a cold, would bring it back with a vengeance. And that was in mild Calif temps. You will snap back when it's time, and your motivation will too.

Liana, your trip sounds so great, and your picture is just lovely! Missed your posts!

Today is my nutritionist appt. Not a day too soon. Since my experience with low mood associated with P1 a few weeks ago, I have been replenishing my carb reservoir. Although I'm doing it with healthy carbs and sparing myself the scale, I already notice a small layer of soft abdominal fat. It's fine for now, I tell myself, and while clothes are a bit snug, they still fit.

Imagine my chagrin yesterday when a co-worker--one of the nicest men on the planet--made this comment while walking behind me: "looks like you've added a few lbs". Me: "EXCUSE me?" Him, putting a few feet between us: "It looks good. I meant it as a compliment."

He explained that he recently got his weight down to optimal but it did not feel or look well, and was not sustainable for him. That's what he thought applied to me. I explained to him that I felt more comfortable in my body at a lower weight. And thanked him for taking his life into his hands to give me the feedback!

I am of an age in which it just shouldn't matter that much what others think. Yet it does, especially when I hear over and over that I look good with 10 extra pounds than where I feel comfortable in my body.Do vanity and peer pressure issues ever recede? Maybe not....

Hi catlady, shasta, ecdcslim, Delgen, et al!

Last edited by mars735; 02-04-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #352  
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/157 /137

Height: 5'4

Mars735: I am of an age in which it just shouldn't matter that much what others think. Yet it does, especially when I hear over and over that I look good with 10 extra pounds than where I feel comfortable in my body.Do vanity and peer pressure issues ever recede? Maybe not....

I don't get the vanity. It's easy to fall back into the fear of what other's think and to dismiss your discomfort with it by calling yourself vane. It's a basic human need to feel comfortable in our own skins - sometimes that comfort matches our easily maintained weight, sometimes it doesn't. I know you know that - but sometimes one can get thrown for a loop by others comments, well meaning or not. You own this, you're on top of it and you're dealing with it. We're rooting for you!!!

E
Old 02-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #353  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Happy Hump Day Maintainers!

eve: Sorry you got stood up. Did you take a nap during that hour? Your schedule is so hectic. Hope things calm down for you. I love what you said about "one slip up will not put me back where I started". It's so true but why does my brain immediately think that. Brain training needed!

liana: You look amazing. And that deserted beach? My idea of heaven. No one else around, the sound of the waves. Ahh beauty.

Jenny: So sorry you are still sick. Hope you can kick this thing so you can get back to training for your marathon.

slip: Pesky pounds. I am about 2 lbs up from where I entered Maintenance. It shouldn't bother me but it does. Since I've only been in Maint a month, I'm not going to bounce back to P1 right now. Maybe this is where my weight is supposed to be. Clothes fit just fine.

mars: Thanks for the kind words about my approach to Maint. I sometimes feel like I have it down, and then an episode like last Friday happens and I realize I still have a lot to learn. What you said about Maille saying the longer someone maintains the better they will be at it. I guess it's just like any habit, the longer you do it the more routine it becomes to where you don't even think about it, it's just something that you do. My P1 day on Saturday gave me back the control that I felt that I had lost and I am doing much better this week foodwise. Good for you for not punching that guy when he made a weight comment.

Since my knee surgery in 2013 I've had several little episodes where I "feel" my knee but it always goes away after a few days. Not this time. Dang it. I'm in the fifth day since I did something, and I've been babying it, not doing my regular exercise routine. Today, it actually hurts with the stinging and tight feeling that I am oh so familiar with. It's a week before I can get into the orthopedist, so I guess I will be cancelling my hike that I was so looking forward to on the 14th. There would have been lots of climbing and I wouldn't have been able to keep up for the 8 miles if I was in pain.

Shout out to RuthAnn, Delgen, Shasta, murrcat and anybody else I may have missed. Have a great day!

Last edited by catlady1981; 02-04-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #354  

Hi everyone,

Mars, everyone is a critic. My dad(pretty critical of my weight during my life) told me that I was too thin now. Said that I looked better after my brief vacation weight gain. I dismissed it. All of the blunt, backward compliments during the weight loss part of IP have made me immune. My life and body are about what I feel and like- no one else's opinion matters anymore.

Andrea, sorry about the hike . I am glad that you are going to the Dr.'s though. I am up 5 pounds from my IP graduation weight, so it was time to reign it in. Although I really do not over eat, sugar was calling my name to frequently. I did not always answer, but I wanted to.

Eve, I like your food peace self talk. Focusing on being less critical and more positive will surely help us all on this journey.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:04 PM   #355  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hello Everyone,

Work has been quite busy. This is a good thing since I am a self employed person!

I'm not fully caught up on everyone's posts, but will read more this weekend. I appreciate everyone's support as I learn to navigate maintenance!!!

Catlady, sorry to hear about your leg, but kudos for you for taking care of yourself and not ignoring it. Hopefully you will be back hiking soon.

Liana, looks like a fabulous trip!!!

Mars, people can just be really weird about weight. Of course I mean myself included. It sounds like it was all his stuff bubbling up in his offhand comment, and you just got caught in the middle. Then all of a sudden you end up having to process your stuff!!!! Maybe there is a way to do that on your timeline instead of other people's timeline.

Slip it sounds like you are handling the up pounds.

Eve--I hope the brownie was yummy!

I'm navigating finding food peace. I still have water weight from last weekend, and have to face the possibility that this may be the glycogen replenishing that I heard about. I did less than 40g net carbs on monday, and have increased it a little since then. This weekend I will figure out how to add some treats in and still stick to net carb, etc goals. So we'll see. Plus, now that I'm on maintenance people want me to attend food/ drink social functions that I was avoiding before.....I'm not going to be able to eat and drink in the same way so that will have to shift.

Anyone I missed--hello to you also.

Have a good rest of the week......
Old 02-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #356  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Hello Maintainers;

Its been great reading everyones posts. Things are going pretty good. Although my daughter baked yesterday and I shouldn't have even taken a bite. So, back to my strict eating today. My exercise has been pretty good although my running has been feeling tough. I'm thinking because its right before tmi, I'm not sure if its hormones or what but the week before I always struggle more. We are having nasty weather today, very blizzardy so winter isn't done!

So, my fellow maintainers! Keep up the great posts. It helps me every day!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #357  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Is it Friday yet? This week feels like it should be over.

Chip and pishposh - I hope that your both doing well. I miss hearing from you.

Mars- good for you for speaking up to your co worker! Sounds like he was doing a great job of projecting his issues on to you.

Hawaii- I have some days where 5km feels like 15. great work sticking to your plan.

Andrea - sorry to hear about your knee. I hope you feel better soon.

Slip - good for you for sticking to P1 to get those 3 lbs off. You are a great maintenance mentor because you don't let the lbs get away from you and calmly work at getting up lbs down.

One more day till the weekend
Old 02-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #358  

Thanks Jenny! Although, right now I do not feel that calm . Not quite sure why, but I am retaining tons of water. Pms maybe? I have some really pretty kankles right now. I am def. in ketosis, because I had that weird taste in my mouth all day yesterday, but those stubborn 3 pounds that have been with me since the holidays remain. I will vanquish them!!!!!

Murrcat, you will find the balance that your body and life need. I do find myself turning down invitations (involving wine) when I am not happy with the scale. But... on maintenance you do not have to avoid all the time . Everything in moderation.

Eve, I wish I could eat just one brownie. I can do it at a restaurant but struggle at home.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #359  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Jenny, thanks for thinking of me. I'm still around, lurking mostly. After a bad WI on Tuesday, I have been on track totally 100% this week, so I'm proud of that. Slip, you're right, these holiday pounds are really really stubborn. The 160s have been such a mental block for me, I'm not sure why. Dreaming of the day I get down and hopefully out of this 10 pound range. Liana, your pics and vacation are inspiring. "Bathing suit season, bathing suit season" has been my mantra this week. Have a week booked at the ocean in July—it seems really far away, but it's giving me something to look forward to and work toward.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #360  
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/157 /137

Height: 5'4

Morning all, so glad it's Friday. Have my clinic appt tomorrow am and of course, scale showed a 2.5 lb gain since yesterday - and I did Insanity last night!! I also had sushi and sashimi with soy sauce so hoping it's just water but doing a P1 day just in case. Funny about sushi - is it mixing a fat with a carb if you eat a roll with rice and avocado? I avoid the rolls with fried stuff but realized last night that I'm eating rolls with avocado - could it really be that simple (LOL, who am I kidding - its NEVER that simple ;+).

Have a great day guys.

E
Closed Thread