Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #196  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

And IP maintenance is supposed to be so easy! Ugh. Today's posts may have just scared the crap out of a few people

Catlady I bought the cookbook. Went to a different clinic because I was set on having it but I have yet to cook anything from it. I found it hard to read. I put it down somewhere and now I can't find it.

Haven't been posting here as I was fighting some up pounds. Managed to lose 7.6 in one week on P1. Now I need to get back to where I started maintenance. Although thinking I will go until Feb 15, the anniversary of my start date. Something about having a normal BMI is motivating me. I was stupid in the month of December but feel so much more ready to maintain in future after my rebellion.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #197  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
And IP maintenance is supposed to be so easy! Ugh. Today's posts may have just scared the crap out of a few people

Lions and tigers and bears oh my! Carbs and protein and fats oh my!
The IP journey reminds me of Wizard of Oz, especially the feeling in P4 of leaving behind the safety of ketosis.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:17 AM   #198  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Now you got me interested in kidney stones, evemomma, lol. Good article on kidney stones from Dec 3014 National Kidney foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/diet
I learned a lot. Didn't know there were 3 main types of kidney stones and they should all be treated differently. Three out of four stones are calcium oxalate - suggested prevention is by combining your calcium rich foods with any higher oxalate foods you consume so that they bind in the stomach and intestines before the kidneys begin processing. Higher oxalate foods are peanuts, rhubarb, spinach, beets, chocolate, coffee, cola, nuts, black tea, wheat bran, and sweet potatoes.
And the suggestion to drink 3 quarts of water (12 cups!!! Holy smokes!)
I had trouble finding anything that states what percentage a 'high protein' diet is. Only one study, done on rats with 45% protein level. I don't think any of us are getting that, are we?? We are all still in the higher end of normal protein, thank goodness.

Liana
Old 01-13-2015, 12:26 AM   #199  
Start IP 08/11 at 213

S/C/G: restart 173/152/150

Height: 5'7" & shrinking 70 years old!

Haha! Just got home from work & am loving all these 'conundrum' posts

Reminds me a bit of being a baby bird, kicked out of the nest. FREEFAAAAAALLLLL - Yikes!! So I think I have fallen 'Splat!' a few times, but each time I get back up to tackle the UP weight, I remind myself - 'Oh right. This is me in charge of my own weight now. Hmmmm.....'

In between the Splats there are moments of soaring, which feel good enough to want to try another round of wing flapping. Eventually we will fly with the eagles
Old 01-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #200  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

I have a history of kidney sones. I had surgery a few years ago to remove a large stone. Every time I had an attack I was on a diet! After the surgery I asked about dietary changes. I was told the only change required is LOTS of water. Keeping the kidneys flushed prevents stones from forming. I really have been horrible in the past about drinking. On a diet I would start and I think, flush out the stones.hopefully I am clear now and will stay that way!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #201  
maintaining since 9/2013

Ouch ChipnDip! Hope you don't get any more!!! If it's any consolation, obesity is also a risk factor for stones.
I frequently work with kidney stone docs. The 3 things they recommend overall are to drink plenty of water, watch salt intake, and avoid large amount of animal protein at one sitting.There can be other things too, depending on the chemical composition of the stone & individual risk factors.
Back to work today after nursing a leg injury for the last few weeks. Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by mars735; 01-13-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #202  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Lots of discussion today about macros, etc. Most interesting.

Have any of you donated blood? If I remember right they give you crackers and orange juice after donating. I'm considering it since there is a blood drive at work on Friday. But those two items would definitely create an insulin spike. Would it be better to eat something like a Quest Bar afterwards?

Chip I agree. The book is hard to read because of the fonts, there are lots of grammar/spelling errors and missing steps from the recipes, and no index. But the wrong nutrition info is the most worrisome. I posted a question about it on CV's Facebook page. I'll let ya'll know if he responds.

Last edited by catlady1981; 01-13-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #203  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
Lots of discussion today about macros, etc. Most interesting.

Have any of you donated blood? If I remember right they give you crackers and orange juice after donating. I'm considering it since there is a blood drive at work on Friday. But those two items would definitely create an insulin spike. Would it be better to eat something like a Quest Bar afterwards?
If you are in full P4....then a few crackers/juice shouldn't effect you much. At least for me, I have found that my blood sugar maintains REALLY steady since I "reset" my pancreas on IP. I used to have terrible sugar cravings and post-carb bottom-outs. But not really anymore. THat being said, I think putting some protein back into your system after giving blood is a great idea since you are losing some to the vampires....!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #204  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

WestWIllow...your image of a baby bird is PERFECT for us, isn't it? I'm laughing especially thinking of how baby birds open their beaks as WIDE as they can when they see their momma. Boy, I've felt that feeling before when I'm stressed! Gimme gimme gimme FOOD!!!!!

Happy to report that my instincts are taking me back to P4 (I think I was lucky to phase off late summer/fall before the holidays). Just pulled my favorite Chipotle Turkey Tenderloin out of the oven and looking forward to a delish fat meal salad before heading off to work. I'm happy to say that I like the way I eat now, and I never feel deprived or like I'm on a "diet". That helps soooooo much!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #205  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Yesterday, I booked a very expensive spa weekend for my BFF/SIL's 50th birthday. It is at a swanky place and I almost died when I heard the cost, but she has been my bf since age 16.(The fact that she married my brother just made the family title official.) She is definitely worth a big splurge.

Today, my car broke down on the way to work! Murphy's Law seems to be having it's way. Can you hear my whine? lol. Just bad timing I guess. On the positive side of things, I was able to limp to the service station without being towed or stranded on the side of 95.

Pray that the repair bill does not bankrupt me :P
Old 01-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #206  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

I feel like I never recovered from my long run in the cold Saturday, was tired all weekend. Had a nice nap on Sunday and could have stayed in bed a day. Busy first part of the week. Having issues with internet at home. Can read 3fc at work but not post. Using my phone now.

That's unfortunate to IP cookbook isn't accurate. Makes me appreciate all the wisdom here. Great reading the ratio conversation. mine are set to higher protein 40%, fat and carb 30% each.

I think seperating the fat and carbs Makes it easier to plan. I'm stull vague on the ratios but this helps me.

Everyone sounds like they are working hard.

Eve - it's great to see you back.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #207  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Crazy day yesterday - I don't think I stopped to take a deep breath all day long. Oh well, I get a three day weekend this weekend and I intend to take full advantage!

murrcat - thanks for the link to the hack! I'm going to give that a try.

evemomma - Glad to see you back. I am lucky - my coach is awesome. I still see her once a month for a quick weigh in and chat. I think it helps that she understands the science behind the diet and stays up to date.

Andrea - So sorry the cookbook isn't more helpful but glad you figured it out before I bought it.

On the "fun days" - the concept just doesn't work for me so I never have done them. Everyone is different and has to find what works for them, but giving myself a set time/day to splurge worries me. I can overdo very easily and can eat A LOT in a very short time (hence why I got so fat!). It works better for me to try to work all the food into my goals on a regular basis - making sure I hit my protein/fat/carb numbers along the way. I have problems eating on a regular basis on the weekends - I tend to snack my way through them so I keep an eye on my weekly calorie totals.

That said, separating the carbs & fats works really well for me to keep my calories under control and making sure I hit my fat/protein/fiber numbers. Over Christmas I did relax and not get too concerned about following my regular eating exactly at the family party and on Christmas day but I stayed within my calorie goal for the week. I hope that made sense - I don't think the "fun day" model is a bad one, it just doesn't work for me and everyone has to figure out the best way for them to maintain.

At any rate, it appears to be working for me - I've actually lost a pound since I started maintenance!

Slipfree - oh no! Good luck with the car repairs!

Jenny - Hope you're feeling better.

Hi to everyone I missed! I love the discussions here, so much good information and ideas. What would I do without you guys?

Last edited by Ruth Ann; 01-14-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #208  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so fat anymore View Post
Good afternoon all,
Are any of you with the national registry for people who have kept a least 30 pounds off for one year. I think they good tips on Maintance from people who have lived it ???
Hi All! I haven't posted here for a few months, but I consider myself on that registry. I lost 80 pounds on ip in 2012. Until this December, I did not gain more than 10 pounds at any point. But I did short stints on P1 every 6 months. These were usually 3 weeks of P1 and the up pounds came off. In between I maintained pretty well.

From Thanksgiving to New Years this year, I took a complete vacation from maintenance. I chose to eat all if the foods I felt I was missing - and in great quantities. On Jan 2 went back on P 1 to get back down to my goal. I had found about 25 pounds- and 20 from my goal weight. I had been 5-6 pounds below goal, which, I think, was a little too low for me. I'm already down 8, so they are coming back off fairly easily. It's true that I'm enjoying all the benefits of P1 right now: the structure, ketosis, the feeling of control and accomplishment each day. But I consider myself a successful maintainer all the same. I'm was able to stop and not let it get out of hand.

I feel like I am in control.

I understand that I might always need these little reboots once or twice a year, but I'm determined never to let it all come back. I just won't do that. On maintenance I pretty much follow P4, except for occasional diversions.

On the wine topic, I've never been much of a drinker anyway. One glass of wine (or a half) in a social setting has always been plenty for me.

So, I've kept that 60 pounds off for almost 2 years. I think that's a success story and I intend to keep it that way. I know there are others who are in the registry, but you have to remain vigilant.

I genuinely love to eat my roasted vegetables and meat/fish protein at lunches and dinners. The change of tastes and the habits acquired on IP are really important.

Have a great day, everyone! I'll see you back here very soon, I'm sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwillow View Post
Reminds me a bit of being a baby bird, kicked out of the nest. FREEFAAAAAALLLLL - Yikes!! So I think I have fallen 'Splat!' a few times, but each time I get back up to tackle the UP weight, I remind myself - 'Oh right. This is me in charge of my own weight now. Hmmmm.....'

In between the Splats there are moments of soaring, which feel good enough to want to try another round of wing flapping. Eventually we will fly with the eagles
Well said, westwillow!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #209  

S/C/G: 164.5/131.4/130

Height: 5'2.5"

Hi Maintainers! I am hanging in there doing well in maintenance. I have had some issues and was wondering if you all could please take a look at my thread that I started? There are so many of you here that are so knowledge about IP and I would love to get any input.

Thanks so much for your help!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ease-help.html

Last edited by SallyE; 01-14-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #210  
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/157 /137

Height: 5'4

Hi guys, can I just say that growing old sucks? Just went to a hand surgeon who gave me cortisone shots in each thumb as it seems I have arthritis there which causes a lot of pain, shooting up and over my wrists to through my forearm (I mean like, scream out loud pain, freaking myself and my co-workers out when I picked up my PC after a meeting). He's a great doc, tho, told me surgery is a last option and that I can get the shots 4 times a year or until they stop alleviating the problems.

RuthAnn & Joysh I hear you re maintenance and free days. I got into the habit of having a free Sat and then a free Sun and then a free weekend (which also included overeating) and then going back on P1 for 4 days to level out. I was doing that all fall before I fell off the wagon over the holidays. So, that's obviously not going to work for me and it most likely messed with my metabolic rate (can we say yo yo dieting?). Even tho 5.5 lbs doesn't sound like a lot, I think it's going to take me 3-4 weeks to take it off. And I need to start planning how my eating's going to go after it comes off.

Lisa - I just looked at your photo album - OMG - and I love your final picture caption about weight loss being a mental challenge, so true. I'm choosing my 'hard.'

Have a great day ladies.

E
Closed Thread