Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #376  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Hi saharaq, Sounds like you have done fabulously to get to this point--congratulations!

Your skin can take a while--6 mo or even more, to remodel to new body contours. Working out can add in muscle definition. The loose skin may not fully remodel, but I'd give it time---your body is still replenishing glycogen, water, and other stores that were depleted during P1
I don't know if this is true or not but I mentioned to my coach that I was thrilled with my weight loss but just a tiny bit unhappy that it seemed that I lost disproportionally from my chest. She said that once I added back in more carbs that I will "fill back in" ...
Old 02-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #377  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta10 View Post
I don't know if this is true or not but I mentioned to my coach that I was thrilled with my weight loss but just a tiny bit unhappy that it seemed that I lost disproportionally from my chest. She said that once I added back in more carbs that I will "fill back in" ...
Wouldn't that be nice? Wasn't the case for me! And when I rebooted I think they got even smaller, but I seem to have kept more around my tummy. All my hair is growing back in though. I lost around the hairline so a ponytail looks horrible with flyaways.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #378  
Sahara

S/C/G: 182.2/140.2/147

Height: 5' 6.5"

Quote:
I hope that's true Shasta! I just started upping my carbs at my dinner bringing them up to about 118 net. I was still pretty low carb initially on maintenance but I think I can handle more.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #379  
Sahara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
Wouldn't that be nice? Wasn't the case for me! And when I rebooted I think they got even smaller, but I seem to have kept more around my tummy. All my hair is growing back in though. I lost around the hairline so a ponytail looks horrible with flyaways.
Great that your hair is growing back Chip. I was so worried about my hair falling (it didn't) that I didn't anticipate my chest falling so much! I don't mind the smaller look it's the wrinkly look in certain positions that's upsetting me.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #380  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
Great that your hair is coming back, Chip! I'll bet that soon you won't notice any difference from before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharag View Post
Great that your hair is growing back Chip. I was so worried about my hair falling (it didn't) that I didn't anticipate my chest falling so much! I don't mind the smaller look it's the wrinkly look in certain positions that's upsetting me.
Shasta I'll bet your coach is right.

In addition to carbs, maybe paying attention to healthy fats, too? Could just be coincidence but....I started taking omega3s and eating salmon, avocado, good quality EVOO after I developed dry eyes last year.Then I started getting "sexy figure, not so gaunt anymore" remarks.

sahara If you haven't already, I'd suggest a google search on sagging skin after weight loss. I can't recall the details but my takeaway was that under 70-80 weight loss has a good chance for sags and wrinkles to resolve. There are other variables too but I can't remember.

Last edited by mars735; 02-08-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:08 PM   #381  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hello Everyone,
I hope you have enjoyed your weekend. Thanks for all your posts. Mars, glad to see you are taking care of yourself and figuring out what works for you.
Delgan, I do hope you are enjoying breakfast. I second checking out the P3 breakfast thread.
Saharag, I just started P4 about 10 days ago. I have definitely felt up and down about it. I am learning to accept the three glycogen pounds that came back a week ago. Otherwise I've stayed pretty steady. I'm figuring out what I can and cannot eat. Last night had a sliver of marzipan cake and just felt soooo sick. Sometimes I look at myself and feel fat, even I know I'm not. Next month I will talk with my counselor to process the weight loss and how I feel so far about maintenance.

Well, thanks for letting me ramble. I hope you all enjoy your Sunday evening.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #382  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Great that your hair is coming back, Chip! I'll bet that soon you won't notice any difference from before.

Shasta I'll bet your coach is right.

In addition to carbs, maybe paying attention to healthy fats, too? Could just be coincidence but....I started taking omega3s and eating salmon, avocado, good quality EVOO after I developed dry eyes last year.Then I started getting "sexy figure, not so gaunt anymore" remarks.

sahara If you haven't already, I'd suggest a google search on sagging skin after weight loss. I can't recall the details but my takeaway was that under 70-80 weight loss has a good chance for sags and wrinkles to resolve. There are other variables too but I can't remember.
Mars - Do you mind sharing which EVOO you switched to? I was standing in the gourmet grocery store the other day trying to figure it out. Is it simply based on price?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #383  
Sahara

sahara If you haven't already, I'd suggest a google search on sagging skin after weight loss. I can't recall the details but my takeaway was that under 70-80 weight loss has a good chance for sags and wrinkles to resolve. There are other variables too but I can't remember.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Mars. I will work on getting those healthy fats in - easy way to up the calorie count a bit too. And I'll be hopeful and give my skin some time to shrink back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrcat View Post
Saharag, I just started P4 about 10 days ago. I have definitely felt up and down about it. I am learning to accept the three glycogen pounds that came back a week ago. Otherwise I've stayed pretty steady. I'm figuring out what I can and cannot eat. Last night had a sliver of marzipan cake and just felt soooo sick. Sometimes I look at myself and feel fat, even I know I'm not. Next month I will talk with my counselor to process the weight loss and how I feel so far about maintenance.
Congrats on maintenance murrcat! I did not put on the glycogen weight or maybe it was masked by me continuing to lose as I had not upped my calories much over P3. Ar you using MFP? I have set it to 1650 daily but have not crossed 1500 so far except on fun days. I am scared to gain while at the same time don't want to keep losing! I guess it will take a while for our minds to catch up with our new bodies.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #384  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Good Morning Gorgeous Maintainers!!!!!

Happy Monday!

Slip.....Thinking of you as I heard you were in for some more snow. Sending sunshine vibes your way!

Sahara.....It's a challenge to get our brain out of losing/restricting mode. Much like you, I kept my calories low at the start of maintenance, mostly because I did a lot of reading about how the metabolism needs to be stoked to get back in shape after a very restrictive diet. BUT....the key to KEEPING the metabolism up and going is not to stay too restrictive. What I did was to slowly start upping my calories by about 100 after I would see a loss once in maintenance. My body seemed to go like this: I would up my calories for a week or two, and my body would stabilize with my new calories....and then I would see a loss again (a consistent loss, not normal up and downs), and so I would add in more calories. I also kept changing my ratios, upping my carbs and lowering my proteins. Currently, I have hit a good homeostasis for my height/weight and activity level at about 1700 calories a day (but my level of intense exercise is very limited).

Shasta....Ugh, the girls. I REALLY lost there with my weight loss! I do agree that the replenished glycogen helps us look less gaunt, but I will tell you that I haven't noticed a huge difference in the balcony department. As moms, we are at a distinctive disadvantage here because of what pregnancy and nursing does. I ponied up and got some GREAT bras to help me put things back where they belonged, lol! I don't have really any other problems with sagging skin, so I am working to just accept that imperfection is a part of life!

Hairloss.....Mine is FINALLY growing back in also! I still feel like I am losing more than I was previously, but I have that familiar hair fuzz growth that others discussed.

I'll post more later, my computer is out of charge!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #385  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

My hair is coming back too, I got my hair cut last weekend and my hair dresser commented that I have a lot of short little baby hairs coming in.

Well the meal plan today is IP chocolate pudding all day. Got a bad case of lock jaw in the middle of the night and had to sleep on a heating pad. Everything is still tender today. Working from home to limit my need to talk and move my mouth. Have dealt with TMJ for years but have never had it this bad. I think my new mouth guard makes me prone to clenching rather than preventing me from clenching. Ugh. At least I'll be able to stay OP easily!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #386  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Mars - Do you mind sharing which EVOO you switched to? I was standing in the gourmet grocery store the other day trying to figure it out. Is it simply based on price?
Hi Shasta, OUr library once held a class on making vinaigrette and EVOO was discussed in detail. I live near wine country, which is also EVOO country, so I'm not sure how prices will vary. Good EVOO will be more than the stock stuff, but it is well worth it as it won't be adulterated with filler oils and will taste wayyyy better--like night & day!

You may already know to get extra virgin, cold-pressed. It should be in a tall skinny bottle or can to lessen the urface area of oil in contact with air. (Each time you open it, air will cause some oxidation). Buy in smaller quantities to avoid this oxidation & store away from light and heat--a kitchen cupboard is fine.

As to brand, I buy USA, as local as possible. The librarian who taught my class siad it isn't necessary to spend a fortune to get a good product. I love The Olive Press (from Jacuzzi winery..you can google that, or 'The Olive Press'). Their website is informative about the different kinds of EVOOs.

Imported is fine too but it isn't always possible to know if there are other oils added in. I'll find the handout and post some brands. She gave Whole Foods 365 good marks though that was 2 yrs ago.

Your own taste buds should guide you, too. That's important! Some like lighter EVOOS that aren't as olive-tasting. There are many varieties. You can have a lot of fun exploring. Also citrus-infused EVOO.... yikes I do go on.

Finally, unfiltered, or new harvsest is a special treat that I wait for in the fall. It has more anti0oxidants, some sediment in the bottom, and is just delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post
Good Morning Gorgeous Maintainers!!!!!

Sahara.....It's a challenge to get our brain out of losing/restricting mode. Much like you, I kept my calories low at the start of maintenance, mostly because I did a lot of reading about how the metabolism needs to be stoked to get back in shape after a very restrictive diet. BUT....the key to KEEPING the metabolism up and going is not to stay too restrictive. What I did was to slowly start upping my calories by about 100 after I would see a loss once in maintenance. My body seemed to go like this: I would up my calories for a week or two, and my body would stabilize with my new calories....and then I would see a loss again (a consistent loss, not normal up and downs), and so I would add in more calories. I also kept changing my ratios, upping my carbs and lowering my proteins. Currently, I have hit a good homeostasis for my height/weight and activity level at about 1700 calories a day (but my level of intense exercise is very limited).
This is right on the money for me too, though I only figured it out in hindsight. After I phased off, I had cold intolerance. Sure I lost insulation, but it was more than that because layering up just couldn't quite warm me. It was likely a slower metabolism, which I noticed was corrected when I began to up my calories. Increasing intake in a stepwise way will give some peace of mind about not gaining. Good idea to take notice of hunger sensation as that needs to be recalibrated as well for many of us.

Happy Monday ALL!

Last edited by mars735; 02-09-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:34 PM   #387  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Hi all,

Eve- you are right, more weather and another snow day. We lucked out on the coast with less accumulation but that means sleet and ice. Really ready for this trend to stop. Thanks for thinking of me

Sahara, 9 months out from Phase 1 and my girls are not filling out Even worse for me is the skin in my arm pits- wrinkle city! Makes me reluctant to wear sleeveless clothing, which bums me out. But I can not change it, just part of my journey. But dang, I look good with clothes on-which is better than when I was 90 pounds heavier. I think it is all about our perspective.

Pishposh, so sorry to hear that you are in pain . Hope your jaw is better soon.

Andrea, how did your dr. appt. go?

Mars- great Evoo information! Sounds like a cool class.

Murrcat, amazing how food reacts differently in our bodies after IP. It does get better with time and the body adjusts.

Chip, I have all those pokey little hairs near my part, but am glad that it is coming back in.

Everyone's reflection on what works and what doesn't is very helpful.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #388  
started IP 6/21/14

S/C/G: SCG: 156/125/125

Hi everyone! I've missed you all, and I'm so glad to be back here and see familiar faces. PishPosh found me over in the daily chat and mentioned a few of you were struggling with the holiday pounds as well. I should've posted this in the maintainers to begin with (*facepalm*). Here's my original post:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies, I need some help.

I was doing really well maintaining, but then put on a couple pounds over the holidays. I was maintaining those pounds, which was frustrating because pre-holidays I was losing weight in maintenance (scale got down to 123/124!). I decided to do a little reboot (I'd actually love to get down to 120 and live in the 120-125 range in maintenance), but after 1 week of P1 I'm actually UP instead of down. Started at 127.2, up to 127.6 today. I still use alternative products - pure protein bars and quest chips. Tried the bacon/cheese omelette for breakfast and couldn't stomach it, so I make my own, which I know is more calories/fat. I haven't gone into ketosis.

I know it's just 2 lbs, but it FEELS like 20. My thighs are touching again, arms feel flappy, and love handles/muffin top has returned. Generally I just feel big and bloated. I'm concerned that the grains/carbs/sugar over the holidays have done some kind of permanent damage and the IP protocol will no longer work for me. I'm still not eating fruit.

Also - an update on the hair loss situation: It did finally STOP at the six month mark, yay! I had to cut around 4 inches off to clean it up and make it look thicker, but it's growing back in now. I also went gray in the year I was on IP, so that's thrown me for a loop a little!

As always, your advice and insight is always appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I've only been able to catch up on the last couple of pages (been gone too long!) and mars post really hit home with me. I never had really bad sweet cravings before this diet, and now I crave sugar like CRAZY. And someone else mentioned feeling/looking fat, even though they aren't technically fat, and I'm having the EXACT same issue. It's strange how 2 lbs feels like SO much more, especially around my middle.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #389  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Here's where I buy my EVOO - actually good enough to sip spoonfuls straight. http://saporioilsandvinegars.com/ I also live in wine country . Seems like the two go together.

Definitely not cheap, but most of the good stuff isn't.

Posh, is your jaw splint/mouthguard relatively new?? I had to go for an extra month without having the back built up enough to touch my back teeth since I also was clenching madly on the new appliance when it was first built up. Now I've been 1 week again with it built up and it is night & day. Much better this time around. I think that I just needed the extra time for my mouth to get used to this new way of sleeping.

DARTHKITTEN!!! Yaaay, we missed you! Likely the holiday sugars helped refuel your craving, but you will get it under control. I know it's hard with allergy issues but hang in there.

Linaa
Old 02-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #390  
Sahara

I feel so much better mentally after reading what all of you have to share. I think I was just a little down yesterday.

Slip I too look so much better in clothes, I'm in a 6 for the first time and shopping in stores I never dared to enter before. I'm going to forget about the little imperfections and like evemomma invest in a good bra.

Evemomma thanks for sharing how you increased calories. I'm working on something similar now.

Still feeling guilty about not doing P1 after fun day (because I wanted to keep that gain). I feel like one might feel about not phasing off properly and wondering if I should do the P1 day tomorrow? Is the P1 after fun day just to get your weight in check or does it have some other benefit ? Thanks for any insight!
Closed Thread