S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Thanks man. Gotta get back after it!
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #407  
4/15/13

S/C/G: 232.4/TTT/160

Height: 5'9"

I was on a different forum yesterday and it had a post to a youtube video about why skinny people don't get fat and although it was interesting it was also fairly depressing at the same time, basically it said our lives are predetermined before we are even born, if we are going to be fat there is nothing we can do about it and our bodies will do everything they can to make sure we are at "it's" recommended weight. It also goes on to say if you are fat as a child you are guaranteed to be fat as an adult and that weight loss is only temporary until the body puts you back into calorie hording mode and rebuilds all your fat stores.

here's the link if you are interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeeFrcvt3KA

what worries me is it almost seems that we would need to stay on this diet for the rest of our lives to maintain the losses and weight we achieve

growing up I was bullied in school and called butterball and the such, when high school came around I got tired of being bullied and basically went on a very restricted diet, played a lot of DDR and ended up doing drugs like ecstasy to keep myself active, at my graduation I was a size 29pants. a couple years later I ballooned to 199lbs, it took me having to buy clothes that I didn't imagine wearing to get myself back down to a proper size but then when I met my wife I again put the pounds back on and got higher than my 232 weigh in. Doing my own research it seems the only way to live a normal life would be to have lipo after the weight loss to remove as many of the fat cells as possible and hope the body doesn't replace them, unfortunately that's only the surface fat and the internal fat cells could still grow in size and number

Last edited by accgy; 05-16-2013 at 02:12 PM.
accgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #408  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by accgy View Post

what worries me is it almost seems that we would need to stay on this diet for the rest of our lives to maintain the losses and weight we achieve

growing up I was bullied in school and called butterball and the such, when high school came around I got tired of being bullied and basically went on a very restricted diet, played a lot of DDR and ended up doing drugs like ecstasy to keep myself active, at my graduation I was a size 29pants. a couple years later I ballooned to 199lbs, it took me having to buy clothes that I didn't imagine wearing to get myself back down to a proper size but then when I met my wife I again put the pounds back on and got higher than my 232 weigh in. Doing my own research it seems the only way to live a normal life would be to have lipo after the weight loss to remove as many of the fat cells as possible and hope the body doesn't replace them, unfortunately that's only the surface fat and the internal fat cells could still grow in size and number
I think I'm learning enough by being on this diet to be able to maintain. My biggest problem with losing weight before was that I never monitored it after I lost and pretty soon it just crept back on.

Naked scale weight this morning for me was 176. Last time I weighed that was when I graduated Infantry Basic/AIT in 1984. I weighed more than I do now in 4th grade and was at 200 by 6th grade. I plan to be on P1 for 4 more weeks and hopefully reach goal by then but I can see staying with this program for the rest of my life. If that's what I have to do then I will dam*ed well do it. Maintenance this time is about paying attention to what I'm doing not just putting Domino's back on speed dial and saying "I did it once, I can do it again." Ain't going to be no "again" this time.
M35A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #409  
4/15/13

ah what I meant by the rest of my life was eating the packets for every meal, having the huge calorie deficit, always feeling hungry

2 weeks ago was my daughters birthday and they ordered pizza and a really nice cake, it really sucked that I couldn't enjoy any of the food with them since it was a celebration and all, hopefully in maintenance or P4 that things like this are allowed
Old 05-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #410  
IP Start 01/25/13

Quote:
ah what I meant by the rest of my life was eating the packets for every meal, having the huge calorie deficit, always feeling hungry

2 weeks ago was my daughters birthday and they ordered pizza and a really nice cake, it really sucked that I couldn't enjoy any of the food with them since it was a celebration and all, hopefully in maintenance or P4 that things like this are allowed
P4 is normal food again but you still have to be cognizant of what you're eating - fat but not carb heavy one meal, carb but not fat heavy at another - so you need to pay attention (that's a simplistic explanation of Maintenance but you get the idea). The days of whipping in to the drive-thru at Mickey D's are over for me. If I have some unnatural craving for a Big Mac (which I never ate before IP) I might have one but only on the "Free Day" and not with a Lg fry and not any other day. I will have pizza again just not every weekend now.

One of our society's biggest problems is thinking "celebration" means over eating. That's something I need to dial back and probably be the hardest thing to do. With luck I can arrange my "Free Day" around such events and, if not, stay vigilant in what I eat while everyone else is "celebrating."

Last edited by M35A2; 05-16-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #411  

S/C/G: 295/ticker/230

Height: 6'3"

Quote:
I was on a different forum yesterday and it had a post to a youtube video about why skinny people don't get fat and although it was interesting it was also fairly depressing at the same time, basically it said our lives are predetermined before we are even born, if we are going to be fat there is nothing we can do about it and our bodies will do everything they can to make sure we are at "it's" recommended weight. It also goes on to say if you are fat as a child you are guaranteed to be fat as an adult and that weight loss is only temporary until the body puts you back into calorie hording mode and rebuilds all your fat stores.

here's the link if you are interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeeFrcvt3KA
I think it is WHEAT. If you look in my Dad's high school year book (Class of 1934) no fat faces.

If you look my high school year book (class of 71 and I couldn't put on weight), (a few fat people out of a high school of 4k).

If you look in my daughters high school year book...lot's of fat kids

Why are there so many fat people now?

I think it is THE WHEAT and what the (bad word) scientist have done to it.

Published on Nov 21, 2012

The wheat of today is not the wheat of our mothers or grandmothers. Modern wheat is the product of genetic manipulations that have transformed its properties. Modern wheat is now a 2-foot tall, high-yield semi-dwarf strain, different in both appearance and multiple biochemical features from traditional wheat. Introduction of this new strain of wheat was associated with the appearance of a long list of health problems, along with weight gain and diabetes.

According to Dr. Davis, saying goodbye to all things wheat provides outsized and unexpected health benefits, from weight loss, to relief from acid reflux and bowel urgency, to reversal of diabetes, migraine headaches, and learning disabilities in children.

Dr. William Davis is author of the #1 New york Times bestselling book, Wheat Belly: Lose the wheat, lose the weight and find your path back to health (Rodale, 2011), now debuting internationally in over ten foreign languages. Wheat belly has helped spark a nationwide reconsideration of the conventional advice to "eat more healthy whole grains."

Formerly an interventional cardiologist, he now confines his practice to prevention and reversal of coronary disease in his practice in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Dr. Davis is a graduate of the St. Louis University School of Medicine, followed by training in internal medicine and cardiology at the Ohio State University Hospitals, and training in interventional cardiology at the Case--Western Reserve Hospitals in Cleveland, Ohio. He is also founder of the online heart disease prevention educational program, Track your Plaque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBURnqYVzw
GoBears60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #412  
IP Start 01/25/13

Wk 16 and still down another 3lbs (naked scale was 175). I thought I was in a rut after solid 2s the last 3 weeks. Now into the home stretch with 10lbs to go by Jun 15 which is the day I start P2 whether I'm at goal or not. It is official - I now weigh less than I did in 4th grade (or any time since). Goal is 3rd grade weight.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #413  

S/C/G: 248/224/165

Hi All!

Finally started the IP protocol. Today was day 1 and other than being hungrier than usual, I can't complain. I feel like I'm going to get tired of salads and water so if anyone has any recent suggestions that'd be great. I will spend some time over the weekend reviewing the archived stickies. My coach thinks I'll lose 5-7 lbs a week but I don't see those results on the forum. I'm wondering if I'm going to be left disappointed.
Beau24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #414  

S/C/G: 221/181/175

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau24 View Post
Hi All!

Finally started the IP protocol. Today was day 1 and other than being hungrier than usual, I can't complain. I feel like I'm going to get tired of salads and water so if anyone has any recent suggestions that'd be great. I will spend some time over the weekend reviewing the archived stickies. My coach thinks I'll lose 5-7 lbs a week but I don't see those results on the forum. I'm wondering if I'm going to be left disappointed.
I am in my 5th week and lost 10lbs the first week, about 6 on the second and am now 24lbs down in the middle of week 5. I've got 22lbs to go and have to say the first four days were the hardest.

You won't be disappointed, but you have to stay with it.

It helped me to be off of caffeine before IP.

Also, roasted okra saved my life.
Stir fry is a nice change of pace and sautéed bell peppers, sautéed mushrooms and klaussen garlic pickles get me through.

I cheat a little by eating a little more than 2 cups of veggies too. Don't think it hurt me much.

Last edited by IPguy442; 05-18-2013 at 08:50 AM.
IPguy442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #415  
4/15/13

I found days 3/4 were the hardest but the last week I've actually been getting mad at the diet for some reason, I'm disappointed I'm not losing 5-7lbs per week like advertised
W1: 7.2
W2: 5
W3: 4.4
W4: 2.2
I made the decision that if I'm only going to lose 1-2lbs per week I'm not going to spend $400+ per month and moved to alternatives, I have the motivation and dedication to continue with the diet on my own, it has helped that other people have taken notice
Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #416  

S/C/G: 337/296/209

Height: 5:10

Quote:
Hi All!

I thought the exact same thing about the water and salad situation at first. My key was allowing myself the time to get into ketosis and the hunger feeling went away. The act of being hungry ... FOR ME... actually disapted after day 4 and cranky feeling, headaches and general pissed off at the world attitude went away. I drink 64oz ++ of water religiously on this protocol. As for salad ( iceberg lettuce) Walden Farms has been my savior. Some of their dressings taste ok and some taste good. I add spices and seasonings to mine to make them more enjoyable. Salt.Pepper,Ginger,Old Bay ect.

I know many poop on the idea of getting on the scale and checking your ketostix but I am here to tell you that it has helped/motivated my in a BIG BIG way.

In the first week, I was determined to find tricks and tips to get around both of these and make them taste better but I soon realized that they are there for a reason and cant be avoided so they became part of the routine like everything else. In week one I decided that I was going to avoid Stevia and Splenda as I would probably over use it and I chose black coffee and water. After 4 weeks... I love both! I went from 2-3 vodka tonics a night and 4-6 diet cokes a day to water and black coffee. Pretty good trade off health wise!

All that being said... I'm in the same boat as you as a beginner. I am in week 5 and I can tell you that I have lost more than 7 pounds per week. If you average my first week with water loss, it is closer to 7 a week. (34 pounds in 30 days to be exact) Feel free to ask me any questions and I am happy to answer from whats fresh on my mind from the last 4 weeks. I'm not sayingyou are going to loose 7 a week but I can tell you that I am doing it so far and its possible for at least the first 4+ weeks. There are some tricks that I have figured out over the past weeks that have made the difference for sure. The tricks involve what I am eating on the allowed list and when I am eating it. Good luck and feel free to ask anything!
lucypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #417  
IP Start 01/25/13

Quote:
Hi All!

Welcome! A lot of the weight loss numbers depend on how much you have to lose also. Someone with a substantial amount will likely lose more at the beginning than someone that just has 20 or 30 lbs to lose. The BIG thing is to stick with it and it'll come off. Wandering off the protocol reservation will slow or stop the loss so NO CHEATING! Having said that, I do use Quest Bars as a replacement for one of my packets. It feels like cheating while still being OP.

I'm a slow loser as you can tell by my signiture line but it's still coming off. I will probably wind up on the program for 5 months before reaching maintenance but it will be worth it.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #418  

S/C/G: 248/224/165

@LucyPenny -- would you mind sharing with me/us what timing changes you've made vs. what you're eating to improve your weight loss? I'd PM you but I don't think I can just yet.
Beau24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #419  

S/C/G: 337/296/209

Height: 5:10

Quote:
@LucyPenny -- would you mind sharing with me/us what timing changes you've made vs. what you're eating to improve your weight loss? I'd PM you but I don't think I can just yet.
Beau24, I'm happy to talk to you about what I am doing personally with my protocol.

I am super happy to discuss with you in detail via Pm or email what exactly I am doing specifically.

Here are a few highlights of what I'm doing personally (again not going into great detail) And I AM NOT A DOCTOR so do with this info as you see fit. Its just my way of making it work for me.

1. Before I started on Day one, I pressed my nutritionist and Doctor on exactly how many carbs/protein/sugar I needed to take in to make this work. I pushed beyond the "just have 3 packs a day and the 8oz of lean protein and 4 cups veggy..." mumbo jumbo outlined on phase one. In a nutshell, I picked and chooses from the unrestricted choices of IP meals and found 3 that met my criteria. I have not and will not eat the restricted food. I bought one box of bars for emergencies while on the road and have had 2 in 4 weeks. (I only eat 1/2 of one and I feel fine)

2. I realized from the beginning that as long as I drank water (plain NO additives) and black coffee (plain No additives) I could control my hunger sensations throughout the day. Again without going into great detail here... I have figured out a way to give my body the energy it needs throughout the day and feel hydrated and good all day long.

3. As for the Veggies and unlimited salad options. I thought long and hard about it in the beginning and decided that I would take my own route and not follow the veggies at lunch and dinner and unlimited lettuce option at those meals. I am not new to dieting and know intimately that once you shrink your stomach size down by not constantly distending it with food, it becomes easier to feel full. In a nutshell. I'm eating 3 cups of veggies a day with my protein at night and its always stir fried in. I'm eating the same meat and same veggies every day. I'm easy like that!

4. I try to go into each weigh in in the same nutritional and body condition so I can get a true reading of where I am. I know what it is like to wear jeans and a shirt one day and weigh in wonder how much clothing weight is tied into your weight. Especially when you only drop 2 and you wanted 5. I wear the same shorts and a tank top in for the weigh in so I know what my body is doing and not all the crap I have on. It probably sounds crazy to most, but it gives me a good feeling that I know where I am at exactly that day. It also makes a big difference if your intestines are not full of the food you ate the last couple of days, so I make sure I'm not constipated as its easy to show no weight loss if you are having that issue.

On the two days prior to weigh in, Its a personal choice for me to NOT eat my veggies. I do three Ip meals and my protein. There is no secret to it. Its simply an easy was for me to cut down even more for 2 days a week and maximize my loss. I only do it the 2 days leading up to weigh in because its nothing more than a schedule I can keep to. That and Its probably psychologically makes me feel like I'm not filling up with stuff. Who knows?? I can tell you that I lost 34 pounds in 28 days ( I thought it was 32 until i just checked my IP read out) and it look like I will loose 6-7 this week by Wednesday. My blood pressure is down, my blood sugar is down and my physician told me last Wedensday.... don't change anything and do exactly what you are doing... so I'm not changing a thing!

There are other 'details' I wont share here just because they work for my and other may take offense or think I am trying to give bad advise.

PS. I'm taking the supplements as directed. (Vitamins-potassium-calcium)
lucypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #420  
4/15/13

That sounds pretty good lucypenny, I was always told eating the restricted was required, what is your height and weight for comparison? My coach told me until I'm under 200 that's when I can start having he restricted every second day, do to ever feel weak or tired with your modified plan?