Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #406  

S/C/G: 218/120/120 Reboot 185/123/135

Height: 5'3"

Zuchinni lasagna and cauliflower pizza.....sounds good! Is there a specific recipe you have used? I would love to try both of those if someone can tell me where to get the recipe.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #407  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

Lori- for the cauliflower pizza I use a recipe from damy health- you can google damy & cauliflower pizza and it will pop up.
Ishbel- a huge congrats on maintaining while away and most especially on your betrothal!!! That is wonderful news all round!
I have gained and lost the same 12 pounds 4 months in a row now... I think the term yoyo dieter has my picture next to it in the dictionary at this point
I will spend 2-3 weeks on Phase 1 and then dive into a free for all day that is followed by a phase 1 day and then fall off the wagon again a couple more times and end up right back where I started 3 weeks before. It is disheartening to have weeks worth of effort gobbled up by a few days. And of course I can see the issue lies in thinking that I can reintroduce a free for all day. It is obviously a large part of the problem. I am embarrassed as classes have resumed at the gym and I feel so much larger.
So, I returned to my old clinic. I like the new coach. She is maintaining and is exercise oriented. I do not want to forgo my exercise classes as losing muscle mass to lose weight is not doing me any favors either and I'm getting softer as well as gaining which is a horrible combo. I inquired as to whether there is an avenue to accommodate exercise and still follow program and she suggested the 'alternative' plan. I believe this is the one diabetics follow. It incorporates 1 serving of whole grains, 1 serving of a low glycemic fruit and 1 serving of low fat dairy. These are in addition to the regular phase 1 of 3 packets, 4 C of veg & 8 oz of protein. She said to try it for a week and if I'm dissatisfied with my progress then consider switching. To me, I could see this being a successful maintenance plan. I am content satiety wise. I have to accept the loss of the free day. My hormones are completely out of whack as TOM goes onto it's 4 th month of being MIA and there's obviously a need to balance my system. I am disappointed in myself for having gotten sO far from where I was but it is my own fault for not having adhered to my diet as strictly as was needed and most especially for not forcing myself to step on the scale.
Thank you Maile for the post on grit. Because it does remind me that I'm not a failure until I give up. And that when I beat this cycle I will feel as I do when I make it through an exercise class that I wanted to leave half way through and forced myself to stay until the end. Exhausted, hurting and really darn proud of myself.
As it stands I have a girls weekend that had already been planned for the weekend after this one. I've let them know I will not be drinking and that I would prefer that we focus on physical activity rather than food & drink. The thing is that I am going to have to carry this attitude into maintenance. To stand up for myself and make it okay with me to do so.
I feel almost badly sharing this with all of you as I don't want for you to think less of me. But honesty is the best policy. And if I can help some of the newer maintainers by setting off a few landlines myself and letting you know what to avoid ( or not avoid as in the case of the scale )... Well I hope there will be something positive to be gained.
Today is day 3 on the alternative plan for me.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #408  

S/C/G: 167/129/125

Default Glycogen Stores - Saggy Bottoms?

Hello. I am in Phase 2 and starting to plan to maintain. I have a question for all of you more experienced than I -

I am happy with my weight and size, but i have some parts of my body (bottom, thighs, arms) that seem very 'loose' - no tone, just kinda skin filled with water. Coach says much will go away as my glycogen stores replenish.

I am not sure if i should try to lose another 5 pounds (is it fat?) or work out like crazy (no muscle tone left?) or go on maintenance for the balance of the year and go Phase I in January if I am not fully satisfied.

Any thoughts? (from someone overthinking!)
Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #409  

S/C/G: 171.8/155.8/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
I feel almost badly sharing this with all of you as I don't want for you to think less of me. But honesty is the best policy. And if I can help some of the newer maintainers by setting off a few landlines myself and letting you know what to avoid (or not avoid as in the case of the scale )... Well I hope there will be something positive to be gained.
Thank you Cap for sharing what you are going through. I have struggled this summer as well. Please keep us posted on your alt. plan and how it is working.

One thing I have held stong to is that I spent this summer much thinner than I have the 4 summers and I have to tools to get back to my happy place.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #410  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Cap
Don't be embarrassed. I could have written this myself. I have not gone up and down quite as much, but I also am up, down and have spiraled out of control over August.
I also returned to my coach and have my next 3 weigh ins scheduled. After all these months maintaining I feel the need to get help settling back on track.

I am glad I never stopped going to the gym, even if it challenging during the first few days of phase 1. I am on day 9 now and feel much more secure that I will get back to my goal weight and maintain again.

Try the alternate plan. If it doesn't satisfy you loss wise at least you will be pretty low carb reverting to phase 1.

No one at the gym is looking at you critically. They are all too concerned about their own summer gains. Get back at it. The stress relief is worth the effort, and the feeling of strength will help.

Your friends will understand (and if they don't just don't let the sway your resolve). It is kinda crappy to suddenly become the dd, but this past weekend I was happy not to be hungover any mornings!

My Tom also continues to be non existent or extremely light. I think I have taken a pregnancy test every month...that god always negative! I am not sure why this continues either...perhaps periods of low food and extreme exercise are enough to screw up our hormones?

You willbe back in maintenance in no time. And I expect we will all have struggles with weight regain, proper diet, adequate exercise, etc. for the rest of our lives.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #411  

S/C/G: 180/176/155

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiefoofoo View Post
Hello. I am in Phase 2 and starting to plan to maintain. I have a question for all of you more experienced than I -

I am happy with my weight and size, but i have some parts of my body (bottom, thighs, arms) that seem very 'loose' - no tone, just kinda skin filled with water. Coach says much will go away as my glycogen stores replenish.

I am not sure if i should try to lose another 5 pounds (is it fat?) or work out like crazy (no muscle tone left?) or go on maintenance for the balance of the year and go Phase I in January if I am not fully satisfied.

I add unflavored gelatin to my diet... I haven't noticed it helping, but whatever. I'd defiantly lose your last 5lbs!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #412  

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post
Anyone doing Phase 4 "as written"? Basically a Phase 3 kind of breakfast with fats at lunch and carbs at dinner? I guess what I'm really asking is if anyone started out that way and it got them into trouble (gained while following it) or they couldn't keep it up (like LizRR said--too stressful or other reasons) and then switched to the P2/P3 type days that many of you have mentioned. Right now I like the rhythm of phase 4, but I'm still working out the kinks.

Anyone not do a fun day every week? Sometimes something that is more of a slip feels better than an eating free-for-all, so I'm trying to figure out if the day of extra calories is what is important.

Thanks!
I cannot even imagine doing phase 4 as written. I've been tracking what I eat on fatsecret and my carbs are crazy and I follow Phase 3! I have three sweet potatoes and two spaghetti squashes sitting in my pantry waiting to be used, but I'm so scared if I eat them I'll gain or they'll push me to binge on carbs!

I normally do have a free day a week. It's hard going from free-for-all to Phase 1. I may even try a free-for-all and then a normal phase 3 day... since it would be low carb compared to the previous day! My hardest part is planning out my cheat days.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #413  

Quote:
I will spend 2-3 weeks on Phase 1 and then dive into a free for all day that is followed by a phase 1 day and then fall off the wagon again a couple more times and end up right back where I started 3 weeks before. It is disheartening to have weeks worth of effort gobbled up by a few days. It incorporates 1 serving of whole grains, 1 serving of a low glycemic fruit and 1 serving of low fat dairy. These are in addition to the regular phase 1 of 3 packets, 4 C of veg & 8 oz of protein.
Losing weight was SO easy, maintaining has been an uphill battle. Even eating HEALTHY just isn't enough. Please keep your head up and remember that!

I love the alternative plan! It sounds great and I hope it works for you.

I'm amazed with how many carbs I'm eating without actually eating bread/pasta/rice etc. It's a bit depressing! I can't imagine what my numbers were BEFORE this diet. With that being said, I too am trying to find a balance. I still don't have a carb or fat with lunch or dinner. I think I will slowing add them back, but I'm just not sure when or in what order.

My cycle is on 4 months of being gone too. I JUST went to the dollar store and stocked up on tests. I called my OB/GYN too, they must think I'm insane for WANTING a cycle, but seriously, I get all the cravings, get all B*****, gain weight and have NOTHING to show for it! Oh well.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #414  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Wildcat, mom2cs & novo scent... A huge thank you... As much as I dreaded hitting the submit button I'm really glad I did... Your posts made me feel a whole world better
Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #415  

S/C/G: 165/136/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Lori- for the cauliflower pizza I use a recipe from damy health- you can google damy & cauliflower pizza and it will pop up.
Ishbel- a huge congrats on maintaining while away and most especially on your betrothal!!! That is wonderful news all round!
I have gained and lost the same 12 pounds 4 months in a row now... I think the term yoyo dieter has my picture next to it in the dictionary at this point
I will spend 2-3 weeks on Phase 1 and then dive into a free for all day that is followed by a phase 1 day and then fall off the wagon again a couple more times and end up right back where I started 3 weeks before. It is disheartening to have weeks worth of effort gobbled up by a few days. And of course I can see the issue lies in thinking that I can reintroduce a free for all day. It is obviously a large part of the problem. I am embarrassed as classes have resumed at the gym and I feel so much larger.
So, I returned to my old clinic. I like the new coach. She is maintaining and is exercise oriented. I do not want to forgo my exercise classes as losing muscle mass to lose weight is not doing me any favors either and I'm getting softer as well as gaining which is a horrible combo. I inquired as to whether there is an avenue to accommodate exercise and still follow program and she suggested the 'alternative' plan. I believe this is the one diabetics follow. It incorporates 1 serving of whole grains, 1 serving of a low glycemic fruit and 1 serving of low fat dairy. These are in addition to the regular phase 1 of 3 packets, 4 C of veg & 8 oz of protein. She said to try it for a week and if I'm dissatisfied with my progress then consider switching. To me, I could see this being a successful maintenance plan. I am content satiety wise. I have to accept the loss of the free day. My hormones are completely out of whack as TOM goes onto it's 4 th month of being MIA and there's obviously a need to balance my system. I am disappointed in myself for having gotten sO far from where I was but it is my own fault for not having adhered to my diet as strictly as was needed and most especially for not forcing myself to step on the scale.
Thank you Maile for the post on grit. Because it does remind me that I'm not a failure until I give up. And that when I beat this cycle I will feel as I do when I make it through an exercise class that I wanted to leave half way through and forced myself to stay until the end. Exhausted, hurting and really darn proud of myself.
As it stands I have a girls weekend that had already been planned for the weekend after this one. I've let them know I will not be drinking and that I would prefer that we focus on physical activity rather than food & drink. The thing is that I am going to have to carry this attitude into maintenance. To stand up for myself and make it okay with me to do so.
I feel almost badly sharing this with all of you as I don't want for you to think less of me. But honesty is the best policy. And if I can help some of the newer maintainers by setting off a few landlines myself and letting you know what to avoid ( or not avoid as in the case of the scale )... Well I hope there will be something positive to be gained.
You are not alone! I was feeling amazing in December and maintaining, then I just let old habits slip back and here i am. lesson learned, but once I get back to maintenance I need really learn how to keep it off!
my problem is my stomach. everything looks tight and amazing but that when I get to my lowest. I just don't know how to get that lean!! So frustrating because I feel so amazing but see a massive belly that I know is mostly in my head, but it really is my problem area.
And trust me, at the gym, NO ONE thinks you look softer and heavier, it's in your head and only you can feel your blahness, so don't be insecure you are beautiful!
off to drink the raspberry gelatin (try to get the cellulite off tummy) I drink it warm instead of like jello, is that weird? it is so sweet, soothing and satisfying!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #416  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Thanks Cap!!

I am coming to the conclusion that the real learning about maintaining begins once we overcome the initial panic about regaining and can begin to look rationally about what is working and not working.
The alternative plan sounds like it may be just what you are looking for with your exercise plans.

Pat
Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #417  

Height: 5'4"

Maile: Thanks for sharing your maintenance style.

Cap: Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your current struggle. I bet the Alternative Plan will work great for you. It allows the additional food choices but still gives the strict structure. I think your "do not avoid the scale" is great advice.

NOVAScents: Do not fear the sweet potato! They are not that alluring when you have to separate them from butter. Monday's P1 day was a struggle for me, too, and the fun day wasn't that out of line. My coach suggests NOT doing the p3 breakfast after an indulgent meal the night before OR if you plan to just have a different dinner (not a fun day)--keep breakfast mainly protein, like eggs--then go back to your regularly scheduled program. She said the drop in carbs is more important than shooting for a dramatic drop in calories. By the way, 1 cup of spaghetti squash is 42 calories, 10 carbs and 2 fiber. Compare it to 1 cup tomato which is 32 calories, 7 carbs and 2 fiber. If you wanted it as a side dish, I wouldn't count it as a carb. And, 1 cup of cubed sweet potato is 114 calories, 27 carbs and 4 fiber. Interestingly, that much sweet potato has 6g of sugar, same as those Chocolate Soy Puffs. Have you added back "non-starchy" vegetables that weren't on the Phase 1 list? Maybe that is a good place to start.

leganegan: I am fearing new bad habits developing or old ones coming back. Maintenance is definitely the hard part. At least it comes with better clothes.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #418  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiefoofoo View Post

The saggy everything phase...I know that one.
You will definitely see water move around in Phase 3 and Phase 4 (note my previous "panic" post earlier in this thread). Some places will look better and others worse and it changes day to day during phase 3 and still for me in phase 4 (I'm a month in).

Those "fun" squats at the gym will help lift the butt. (Are your arms young women (budding bicep) on top and old women (flappy tricep on) on bottom as my daughter so graciously described mine?)

I have mixed feelings on the last 5. About 1.8 lbs of my last 5 was lean mass loss. Also lost about 1 lb lean mass for the last 3 "bonus" pounds. That is going to take a l-o-n-g time to build back. But I do like the scale number.

I read on another thread that it can take up to 2 years for the skin to settle down, likely not as long if you are younger and did not lose too much.

If what you are pinching at the belly really feels like it has fat under and not just skin, I think I would go for the last 5 lbs with Phase 2.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #419  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Cap, thanks for sharing. It is not easy changing these habits of a lifetime that can resurface. I think you have a found a good coach who can think outside of the box and let you do a modified Phase 1 that will work for you.
I used to think everyone at the gym was staring at me also..especially if you had a day when you felt fat. I agree that most people are so wrapped up in their agendas, they do not notice or care. I hope you can keep exercising as it is so good for your metabolism and stress.
I liked that article's focus on simply learning from our mistakes. We are all learning what works for us. You showed strength by returning to a coach..I still think your hormones must be off with you MIA.

Infoplease: I read that about the two years and your skin settling down. My face has improved over the last 11 months..a

Novascents: Could your MIA have something to do with weight loss?
In How People Get Fat, Taube recommends that you keep carbs to one half a cup..ie one half cup sweet potatoes..and that will not make your blood sugar drop if coupled with a protein.

Maddiefoofoo: exercise has helped with the loose skin..I am happier being on the low end of my range...you might consider the 5.

Momto2cs..It is no fun being the dd, but you do wake up feeling healthy and not having gained!
Lori: I go to allrecipes.com and search for zuchinni lasagna. or sparkepeople also has recipes. Liza posted a cauliflower crust here..if you google it, there are lots of recipes.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #420  

S/C/G: 218/120/120 Reboot 185/123/135

I will try the cauliflower pizza. Sounds interesting. Thanks! I will definately look for the lasagna recipes also. I made zuchinni noodles the other night in place of pasta and they turned out pretty good. My husband liked them well enough also, so we will definately make them again.
I am laughing about the "saggy" skin because although I would NEVER want to trade it back for the fat, it is pretty yucky looking in spots. I work with children with Autism and have a child who is fascinated by my "wrinkly, squishy, moving skin" on my arms! If he only saw the jiggly skin on my stomach!!! haha
My coach, who is 26 told me it could take about 9 months for the skin to tighten up. I am thinking for a 53 yr old it may take a bit longer!
Closed Thread