Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #256  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I have a window to eat after exercise. If I miss it I almost can't force myself to eat, but if I don't I am very hungry the next day, so I try to.

The weight gain is mainly water retention. Keep up with the water on cheat days.

I am finally back after what seems like unending vacation. My pants are tight-I would say 10 pounds...I have decided to do 4 weeks of phase 1. School is starting and I want my fall clothes to fit. Plus dh is rarin to get
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #257  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Taco Bell - Taquotos. Get this I used to think they were the light snack and I could get 2 which meant 4 until I went online and compared them to the Grilled Stuffed Burrito. Oh sneaky foods. Sneaky foods.

I saw 125 on the scale yesterday. Well, 125.8. First time in over a month. Back close to my normal. Will see if it lasts. I usually don't monitor my weight closely. I mean I get on scale with clothes just to get an idea but this time I wanted to know.

sneuse.
You might need to give it another day or so before it comes down. Usually (but not always) the weight and bloating come down about 4 days after I eat. This can be one weekend meal or 1.5 days of freer eating. The effects can be the same. But, I find that if the treat meals are more spread out even if you are not eating much, the weight can hang around longer.

For example, one weekend I indulged in the evening. Pizza, hot dogs, cup cakes. Not much on the scale Sunday morning. But, for dinner I had lentil soup and for some reason just once slice of white bread. Well, I was bloated and remained bloated all week. But, during the week, on two occasions I had ice cream. I do believe had I dialed it back on Monday instead of indulging in the ice cream a couple times the weight and bloating would not have stuck around. Now, this gets confusing to me since at times I can have food that leaves my body the next day and sometimes it sticks around and I have not figured that out yet.

For some reason I think our body sees the freer foods as mistakes or something and it works hard to get rid of it. But, if you repeat maybe it stops and thinks, oh this is how she eats now. Okay.

Someone else will chime in on this as this maintenance is so different for everyone but I can't help but wonder if your body would have handled both of those meals in one day better than it being spread out over 2 days. This is something I struggle with as it does not make sense to me. Eating freer for me for a whole day is not comfortable. Spreading it out over a weekend is so much more enjoyable but then it hangs around longer.

forgot to send this morning
Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #258  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

I wrote a huge message yesterday and lost it writing this on my phone so will apologize for any errors in advance...
Maile- I am so happy to hear that you would be willing to do a challenge again! Glad that you enjoyed the article... I have been using your thought of the day as my mantra the past couple days. It is a pitfall for me that my mind doesn't pick up what my body is throwing down... That I'm full and I can stop... . I have to make a concentrated effort to eat slowly and. CHew food like it's cud... When are students in for you?
Sneuse- your body will be extremely sensitive to high calorie intakes after following a vlcd such as IP. That's why following Phase 4 for at least as long as you were on the program is so vital. The body needs a chance to stabilize at your new weight and the caloric difference between Phase 1 and Phase 4 is plenty for it to try and deal with. In the beginning of Phase 4 I would have to do a minimum of 2 phase 1 days after a free day to return to my normal weight. After five months it started to only need one Phase 1 day thankfully. Give it time. But know that your body will always seek a way to put on extra pounds... It's survival instinct unfortunately... So vigilance is absolutely necessary. Gains can and should be dealt with immediately... Don't feel badly about the gain- the program is constructed so that we learn how to deal with gains and Phase 1 can and does take care of it pretty darn quick thankfully
LizR- welcome!!!! The start date of the challenge is fairly flexible at this point and as you and Ishbel have both expressed interest we can wait until you're done Phase 3 and Ishbel's back from Scotland.... Please post often as the more of us there are the stronger we get...
Mom2cs- sounds like we had the same summer. Had to laugh when I read your comment about fitting into fall clothes... This was totally my reasoning as well. I lived in skirts all summer and they are much more forgiving than skinny jeans...
Going to the cabin for the last time this summer so may not be around til Monday- have a great weekend all! I'm excited to start Phase 2 next week!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #259  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Cap: Have a great time in the cabin. I am back at work, testing students to see if they qualify for my program. I can feel the increase in stress.
I use my mantra also..especially when you are eating something you like.
Maybe we could do a challenge in Sept thru Oct when people are back.

Lizr: Welcome!!!! It is exciting to reach goal weight.

Momto2cs: Fitting fall clothes is a good motivator. I have to get used to dressing up again after relaxing all summer in casual clothes.

Purple Sky: That is great you are down to 125! Congratualations!

Sneuse: Good luck on those 3 pounds. Have you figured out a range of weight you want to stay in?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #260  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
I am back at work, testing students to see if they qualify for my program. I can feel the increase in stress.
I use my mantra also..especially when you are eating something you like.
Maybe we could do a challenge in Sept thru Oct when people are back.?
I am doing the same thing! Well testing to see if they qualify for any program. Actually it is good to get back onto a regular schedule. I think things go easier food wise with routine, summer is laid back. But you are right stress will kick in too. I'm trying to think of a way to avoid the gazillion meetings some people think we need.

I missed the part about the challenge, what would it be like?

Hope everyone is doing great.

Pat
Old 08-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #261  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Hi everyone.I just posted this on the daily chat thread, but thought I would get some input from the EXPERTS!

I am planning to go to phase 2 starting on Monday. Sounds good, right? But I am really scared to go into maintenance. I know I cannot stay on phase 1 forever. I am just where I want and need to be.

But, like most of us, I have never been successful at any maintenance plan I have been on...namely Weight Watchers.
So I am just reluctant...or terrified...to try this too.

I love the structure and no cheating mindset I get with phase 1. Phase 2 sounds easy...just adding a real protein source at lunch instead of a packet (right?).

Anyone else have these irrational issues? If so, any words of advice?
Is phase 4 as scary as I think it is?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #262  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Phase 4 is a fun phase because you get to try things you could not eat for a while. But, it can also be a challenging phase because you are sort of on your own. It's sort of like Phase 1 but in reverse. Phase 1 was challenging to me because it was so restrictive but it was also easy because it was so restrictive and everything was sort of taken care for you. Phase 4 is not as clearly laid out so the lack of structure can be challenging but it's also fun because you get to re-experience different tastes. I like eating different foods.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #263  

S/C/G: 218/120/120 Reboot 185/123/135

Height: 5'3"

Delgen, I have been on maintenance since the beginning of August and like you said, I have never been successful at keeping the weight off once I lose it. This program has been amazing and I have really learned to look at food differently, but also liked the structure that P1 gave me. Phase 4 is scary and I have struggled some trying to let myself eat MORE. I have been sticking most often to P3 foods and because of that have continued to lose weight(about 8 more lbs). After meeting with my coach and getting some encouragement, I have been adding in more the last couple of days. I really don't want to lose more weight, but am so afraid of gaining that I guess I have been too cautious.
So...I think those thoughts are not "irrational", they are normal. We have to re-train our brains to eat differently and I try to look at it like an alcoholic does....one day at a time!! Congratulations on reaching your goal and good luck. It really is fun to know you CAN eat some of those foods that were originally off limits!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #264  
Started IP 2/23/2012

S/C/G: 192.2/142.4/140

Height: 5'5"

Maintenance is hard I have only been at this about a week, so I have a lot of learning to do. I hope it becomes easy and not so much to think about soon. Thank you for posting your ups and downs and what works for you. It is going to help me greatly.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #265  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Delgen: I had the same irrational fears..and was absolutely petrifed of regaining the weight. Phase 2 is the first step aways from the packets..It is just like eating your low carb dinner.
I am in 11 months of maintenance..and still eat 2 cups of lettuce and 2 cups of veges for lunch. I am eating Phase 3 mostly.

Lori: I was like you and went through a phase of continuing to lose. I was also very cautious and still am about adding carbs.

Mooselover: I am enjoying maintenance. It does get easier.

PurpleSky: I like the variety of foods also. I really hated to give up the packets, but now find I am happy without them.

Patns: Good luck with the testing..I hate all of those meetings also. My director is trying to make me do two schools in one day. I think I have him talked out of this idea. You are right..structure might be easier on staying healthy.

My motto for the day is here I go again. I am at the limit of my 3 pound range and need to work pounds off. This is going to be my life. Exercise and low carb here I come.

Last edited by Maile; 08-26-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #266  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Good morning ladies. My three pound window morphed into a five pound and when it hit eight, I decided to reboot with alternatives. After a particularly harrowing food day I decided to restart before my Nashua stuff gets here. So I am using the dregs of the IP packets that I didn't like. You know , the ones mushed into the back of the cupboard. So far so good. 24 hours in. Good news is that hubby is rebooting with me. That made all the difference the first time. Hope u don't mind if I keep coming back here for support.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #267  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Reverting back o phase 1 is a good plan. Get those extra pounds in check before they "stick"!
When it's only short term you can pinch your nose and drink down any of those weird packets!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #268  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I am thinking you can judge how maintenance will go for you by how your body reacts to phase 3. I started to regain rapidly after the first day and had to pack it in with a 10 pound gain by day 4. I never could handle grains and dairy and soon saw that I never will be able to, they cause rapid gains for me.
I think the folks who do well on phase 3 have more flexibility in maintenance and can experiment with adding things back slowly.
For me 95% of my days have to be phase 2 and I have to be very careful with the other 5%. I didn't follow this religiously this summer and have been battling 4 pounds since June. I have to seriously get that off so my winter clothes fit comfortably.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #269  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
I have a window to eat after exercise. If I miss it I almost can't force myself to eat, but if I don't I am very hungry the next day, so I try to.

The weight gain is mainly water retention. Keep up with the water on cheat days.

I am finally back after what seems like unending vacation. My pants are tight-I would say 10 pounds...I have decided to do 4 weeks of phase 1. School is starting and I want my fall clothes to fit. Plus dh is rarin to get

I get back to work on Tuesday of next week too and don't have too many clothes that fit for the first time in over a year...I went past my "cushion". I am starting phase 1 for 5 weeks this Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
Mom2cs- sounds like we had the same summer. Had to laugh when I read your comment about fitting into fall clothes... This was totally my reasoning as well. I lived in skirts all summer and they are much more forgiving than skinny jeans...
Going to the cabin for the last time this summer so may not be around til Monday- have a great weekend all! I'm excited to start Phase 2 next week!
OMG....I have lived in skirts all summer and I had a huge awakening when I tried on my clothes for work....phase 1...100% for the first five weeks of school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgen View Post
Hi everyone.I just posted this on the daily chat thread, but thought I would get some input from the EXPERTS!

I am planning to go to phase 2 starting on Monday. Sounds good, right? But I am really scared to go into maintenance. I know I cannot stay on phase 1 forever. I am just where I want and need to be.

But, like most of us, I have never been successful at any maintenance plan I have been on...namely Weight Watchers.
So I am just reluctant...or terrified...to try this too.

I love the structure and no cheating mindset I get with phase 1. Phase 2 sounds easy...just adding a real protein source at lunch instead of a packet (right?).

I have been in maintenance for 15 months...here are two things that have helped me...1....This website and staying connected to the plan and 2. stepping on the scale every week NO MATTER WHAT!...with that said...I was very successful in maintenance for 8 months...then I had 3-4 months where I played around with 5-6 pounds...then this summer.....I litterally had one bad day after another after another and whooooop....10 more pounds. So after 15 months in maintenance up 15-18 pounds, but still down over 60. Phase 1 is so helpful to have knowing it is there for times when we lose focus like I did this summer.

Finally, not sure if I really lost focus, because my plan all along with to do phase one starting Labor Day....and I stepped on that scale all summer and kept talking about the "Plan".

Keep maintenance a priority and you will be fine.

Honestly, it is hard...there are so few people from 2010 when I lost the weight...there are only 2 that I know of on this site other than myself.

Stay focused and you will be fine
Old 08-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #270  

S/C/G: 167/129/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgen View Post

I am planning to go to phase 2 starting on Monday. Sounds good, right? But I am really scared to go into maintenance. I know I cannot stay on phase 1 forever. I am just where I want and need to be..

Hi Cindy. I am going through 2 weeks of a 'cellulite reduction protocol' and then moving to Phase 2. I totally get what you are saying- being able to keep the weight off is the scary part. This weekend DH and I (he has lost 75 pounds so far) cleaned out all of our 'fat' clothes, seperating into donation/consignment piles. Just the clothing investment alone seems it might scare us into 'eating straight.' I work out of my home- so I am going to try to wear jeans most days (instead of sweats) to keep the motivation only.

I am not the expert you were looking for - but I am looking forward to the answers to your questions too!
Closed Thread