Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #271  

S/C/G: 136/119.5/120

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0199 View Post
thanks for the info about costs. i have another question for you all. My local center that does IP is only open til 5pm and closed on weekends. I run a daycare and can't get away til 530pm, and i'm not about to take 6 kids with me, so I don't know when I would get the chance to go to weekly weigh-ins and such. Do you all recommend using a mentor/coach or is this something I could do on my own?
I am doing Idealtogo as well, and my remote coach is fabulous, I really wish there was a clinic here with someone I could see in person to talk to and who could physically see the weight loss, but I have friends and family supporting me so it's not too bad, and luckily, I go to conferences for work, and they seem to have booths at a lot to get new offices working with them, so I always bug the people at the booths. I would also like a local office to be able to not have to buy a whole box and get stuck with stuff I don't like.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #272  

I have my first weigh in today. I am kind of nervous. My Mom and I got together and she always loses much faster than me and I get so down about it. She started out 5 lbs. lighter than me too. I also had a bad day mid week and had a migraine coming on in the evening. I did the salt in the water as I was told to. I took Tylenol. I just still felt really weak, jittery, and had the terrible headache after about 45 minutes. I finally caved and had an Adkins protein bar. I felt guilty but it immedietly made me feel better. I feel like going from all the calories I was eating down to what I am now my body just couldnt' handle it. I know I was told any cheat like that would hold me back three days. Now I am really nervous about it. I am such a chocoholic and a stress eater. I have done really well and my husband has been cheering me on with kind words and telling me I can do it. I just hate feeling like such a failure from one little slip up. Now I am debating whether to even tell my clinic that I did that from all of the information I am getting about being kicked out. Honestly having that one bar helped me to get through the next three days. I just couldn't have done it otherwise. I feel like one little slip like that and then going right back to it is better than quitting all together b/c you can't do it otherwise. I don't know. My mom will tell our clinic to get over it if they tell me I cant' cheat anymore. She will also tell them that if I have this issue that they should work with me. She is just much better with words than me. I just let it get me down. Anyway, I am going to look up about it all and realize my clinic is NOT these other clinics and pray that they aren't going to fuss at me. I am not giving up. I am going to do this. I have to.... for my health, myself, my children, and my husband. It just had to be done. Thanks for all the great posts. Any words of wisdom for the weeks to come are appreciated. Have a great day!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #273  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacerp View Post
Yesterday my coach told me they HAVE to have my food diaries (yesterday was the first time I didn't bring one in- too many other things going on right now). She said they just found out that if Corporate came in and audited their files they could be shut down IMMEDIATELY if there were missing food diaries. Sounds to me like Corporate is a bunch of bad asses

Can you ask for a different coach? Is there one who did the plan and started at a similar weight as you? It sounds to me like your coach is very insensitive... and rude! Don't let her comments get you down, you are doing great!
I think I am going to pull out the B.S. card!!! I have been doing this for five months, actually met with a Regional Director in person during a weigh in, and HAVE NEVER turned in or had one person look at my food diaries! It may be for "corporate" but it might not be for Ideal Protein.

Carla
Old 04-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #274  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
Not sure where all this corporate business is suddenly coming from... except for IP product sales, our clinic doesn't keep ANY of our records on site--not even our weight! They will do the measurements, but they write them on a log sheet and hand them back. I started keeping a diary, but never did anything with it... so I switched to keeping a spreadsheet for myself. Same with the weight and measurements: I do it myself. And I get all the info I need from the experts on this forum.

Maybe they are cracking down, but some of the things I am hearing here lately don't even make sense. Yet to be honest, they sell this program as available only through health care providers, and if some are really just outlets for selling the IP product line, it's possible that corporate is trying to shift focus to the health aspects of the protocol. If no client records are kept, it's hard to prove that any such services are being provided. Could also be a requirement if there is a push to get some of the expense covered by insurance companies.

Just my thoughts...
I know every place will be different but, like you, I keep my own records and no one sees my diary or has ever asked. My coach does keep his own tracking of my measurements and where I am with the program/notes.

On the health side, I HAVE NEVER seen a doctor. I know there is one affiliated to the clinic but not that I have ever met. I have met with my own physician 3x since starting the program but she has no affiliation to the program. She is having my labwork done just to confirm the diet isn't a health concern for me. I sometimes wish I could see a doctor who knows the program too. My coach is great but, if this is a doctor managed program, some questions would be nice to address with the doctor.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #275  
on IP since 03/29

S/C/G: 221/207.7/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Default Working out on IP

Does anyone know WHY working out can slow weight loss? My coach just said that working out wasn't recommended because you're already consuming so few calories and it takes more energy?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #276  

S/C/G: 248/155/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyourbestinidaho View Post
I have to second this one---I feel I would die with out my scale. Okay --- I admit it I'm addicted--I just can't walk past it without stopping to see if the number has changed from last time.
Im the same way . I weight three times a day or more.LOL . It helps me stay motivated. I know its probably bad but I need to be able to track my weight every day . I would have to get another one .
Old 04-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #277  
on IP since 03/29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplains wifey View Post
Im the same way . I weight three times a day or more.LOL . It helps me stay motivated. I know its probably bad but I need to be able to track my weight every day . I would have to get another one .
Any how can my weight fluctuate so drastically in a day??? On my WI day I was 209. A couple hours later (no cheating in between) I stepped on the same scale and it said 210.8! Isn't that crazy. It always does that throughout the day and I can't figure it out
Old 04-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #278  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I know every place will be different but, like you, I keep my own records and no one sees my diary or has ever asked. My coach does keep his own tracking of my measurements and where I am with the program/notes.

On the health side, I HAVE NEVER seen a doctor. I know there is one affiliated to the clinic but not that I have ever met. I have met with my own physician 3x since starting the program but she has no affiliation to the program. She is having my labwork done just to confirm the diet isn't a health concern for me. I sometimes wish I could see a doctor who knows the program too. My coach is great but, if this is a doctor managed program, some questions would be nice to address with the doctor.

I take my food diary to my coach every week. She glances at it and helps me decide what different options I could do if I am getting tired of the same thing. I don't feel like she is critical or anything, I just think that it is their protocol. People who write down what they eat lose more weight and keep it off longer, so I do it

I can't wait to go see my Doctor. He is going to be so proud. He is always encouraging me to find a way to lose some weight! Well, I found a way
Old 04-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #279  

S/C/G: 240/215/160

Height: 5-9"

I am weighing every morning on my scale and I track it. It is motivation for me to see it change all the time.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #280  
:)

S/C/G: 222/195/135

Height: 5'4"

WI# 4 - DOWN 4.5 WOOO HOOO!

My coach said this about the letter:

He's had several people come in who had items such as: double cheese burgers, chips w/salsa, DQ Blizzard etc.

He was very sweet with us (my daughter and me). So that being said, I'm good. I've signed on for one more week (of course I'll keep going, but it's one week at a time)!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #281  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromtheshoe View Post
Does anyone know WHY working out can slow weight loss? My coach just said that working out wasn't recommended because you're already consuming so few calories and it takes more energy?
HEART RATE TRAINING ZONES
The whole point of using different heart rate zones when training is that each training zone has a different effect on your fitness. It is worthwhile taking the time to understand the benefits of training in each zone.

The value of each training zone should not be underestimated and although it may feel strange the first time you do an ergo at 65% (because it doesn't hurt and you're not sweating like a pig), resist the temptation to pull harder and just keep at it, it's on your program for a reason.

The Energy Efficient or Recovery Zone - 60% to 70%

Much of the benefits from heart rate training involve the body's energy systems and one of these systems is responsible for the long term supply of energy to your working muscles.

Fat is an abundant source of energy for the endurance athlete. Training within this heart rate zone - best accomplished by doing long, slow ergos, (or runs or water-work) - develops the body's ability to feed the working muscles more efficiently.

The other major advantage to training in this zone is weight loss, because you are almost exclusively burning FAT. You will also be allowing your muscles to re-energize with glycogen, which has been expended during those faster paced work-outs.

Underestimate this training zone at your peril.

The Aerobic Zone - 70% to 80%

When you train in this Heart Rate zone, you are training your cardiovascular system. Within this range, the body's ability to transport oxygen to, and carbon dioxide away from, the working muscles can be developed and improved.

As you become fitter and stronger from training in this zone you will get the benefits of some fat burning and improved aerobic capacity. 75% training often feels good.

This zone is also ideal for developing local muscle strength.

The Anaerobic Zone - 80% to 90%

This is the zone in which an enormous amount of benefit can be gained.

Somewhere between 80 and 90%, your individual anaerobic threshold is hiding. Between these heart rates, you use very little fat, instead you start to use glycogen - which is stored in your muscles - as the main source of energy.

Unfortunately, one of the by-products of burning this glycogen, is Lactic Acid.

There is a point at which the working muscles are producing lactic acid at a faster rate than the body can remove it. The heart rate this happens at, depends on you as an individual but when you do hit this point - known as Anabolic Threshold it will be accompanied by a rapid rise in heart rate and a slowing of your pace - sound familiar?

Through the correct training it is possible to delay the Anabolic Threshold either:
# by increasing the heart rate at which you reach it or
# by increasing your body's ability to deal with the lactic acid for a longer period of time.

The fitter you are the nearer you will be racing to your Anabolic Threshold. But beware, pulling a 1:45 split does not mean you are rowing at your Anabolic Threshold if the training you have been under-going is incorrect.

Assuming you are fit you will be racing at just below, or right on, your AT (depending on the length of the race). Sometimes elite athletes can hold a pace above their AT but for most mere mortals "going off too hard" will only result in you "blowing up" half way through a race - something most of us have experienced at some stage, and it's not pleasant.

The Red Line Zone 90% to 100%

In this zone you will only be able to train for short periods of time. It effectively trains your fast twitch muscle fibers and helps to develop speed.

It is worth being aware that to develop this speed you must first have developed your ability to deal with lactic acid.

This zone is reserved for racing sprints and only the very fit are able to train effectively within the red line zone.

Remember, training very near your maximum HR can be dangerous.

Calculation of Maximum Heart Rate

The easiest and best known method to calculate your maximum heart rate (MHR) is to use the formula

* MHR = 220 - Age
between 60% and 70% of your MHR... is where you are tapping into the fat reserves more
Old 04-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #282  

S/C/G: 177/174.4/145

Height: 5'9"

Does anyone do workouts that don't raise their heart rate too high - like pilates or Wii fit? I want to do SOMETHING to help tone up a bit, not to burn fat!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #283  
Started IP Aug 4/09

S/C/G: 235/146/130 Healthy BMI=140

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromtheshoe View Post
Any how can my weight fluctuate so drastically in a day??? On my WI day I was 209. A couple hours later (no cheating in between) I stepped on the same scale and it said 210.8! Isn't that crazy. It always does that throughout the day and I can't figure it out
The change in the weight is related to the food and water intake! Your body can not process it instantly... The best way not to be discouraged by this would be to weigh once a day (or less if you can!) at the same time of day. (For me, it is first thing in the morning, after a stop at the bathroom!)
Old 04-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #284  
on IP since 03/29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieG View Post
The change in the weight is related to the food and water intake! Your body can not process it instantly... The best way not to be discouraged by this would be to weigh once a day (or less if you can!) at the same time of day. (For me, it is first thing in the morning, after a stop at the bathroom!)
I know I shouldn't be so crazy about being on the scale all the time - it's just SO tempting when I work in an IP clinic!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #285  
fluffymama

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
Has anyone eaten at a Japanese steakhouse? I'm thinking steak & Veggies on the hibatchi grill might be okay? Any opinions???
I don't see why I wouldn't be?
Closed Thread