General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #346  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Southern Maven, I understand that because I have the desire to weigh less than I do now that I am not really following IE. But I have no desire to diet, in the way people think of it. I have started eating much healthier food, not because I think they will help me lose weight, but because I have grown to like them. There is no food that I don't eat if I want it. I just don't crave a lot of foods that I used to love. My taste buds have changed. The fact that I'm not losing weight I contribute to eating when not hungry and eating more than I need for satisfaction. I have several medical problems that would improve if I lost weight. Therefore, I pay attention to what I weigh. I want my health to improve.

I know that my body would feel so much better if I got back to exercising, but I just can't get it going.

Carolr, there are people everywhere who will tell you how they lost weight and you should try their plan. They do mean well, but each person has to do what is best for them. If resisting things causes cravings, then you don't want to resist. It won't be helpful to you. Think of that item you want to eat. Eat it when you are hungry, enjoy it, and stop when you are satisfied. You just might feel satisfied after one or two bites of cake. You know the first bite is always the best! LOL

Sandy, I am one who dreads the thought of exercising. And sometimes when I'm doing it I just want to stop. But if I persevere, my body feels so good and my mind feels so exhiharated when I finish.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #347  

Thanks, Carol Sue.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #348  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Maybe we should start a thread for non-diet people?

I'm not following IE either because I want/need to lose weight, and I AM focusing on that, but I'm not dieting.

I'm doing my own thing...not restricting, but not going wild with food either, and I'm working at eating more vegetables, taking smaller portions of some foods, stuff like that.

I want food to fade naturally into the background and not be something I spend a whole lot of time or energy thinking about.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #349  

Great to see you again, Becky.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #350  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
Maybe we should start a thread for non-diet people?

I'm not following IE either because I want/need to lose weight, and I AM focusing on that, but I'm not dieting.

I'm doing my own thing...not restricting, but not going wild with food either, and I'm working at eating more vegetables, taking smaller portions of some foods, stuff like that.

I want food to fade naturally into the background and not be something I spend a whole lot of time or energy thinking about.
I think there are a lot of us hybrids here not only on this thread but on 3FC overall. I suspect all of us have slightly different mindsets about our approach...but we share a common cringe at the word/thought of a "diet" mindset.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #351  

3 fat chicks needs a like button.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #352  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Have you guys heard of Kelsey Miller? She writes a column on IE for Refinery29 called The Anti-Diet Project. She just released a book on her journey and I finished it last night. I have been learning a lot about IE over the years, but not committing to it. The book made me see how it can be a path to sanity in other aspects of life as well, and also that it takes real work. The last several chapters were the most helpful in that respect. Anyhoo, just wanted to mention it.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #353  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Have you guys heard of Kelsey Miller? She writes a column on IE for Refinery29 called The Anti-Diet Project. She just released a book on her journey and I finished it last night. I have been learning a lot about IE over the years, but not committing to it. The book made me see how it can be a path to sanity in other aspects of life as well, and also that it takes real work. The last several chapters were the most helpful in that respect. Anyhoo, just wanted to mention it.
JayZeeJay, we did discuss Kelsey Miller some time back, so those of us who have been around awhile are familiar with her.

And when I read your post, it reminded me of something I wanted to share with all of you. Kelsey is giving away 10 copies of her book at GoodReads, so here's an opportunity for those who are interested in it to possibly win a copy. If you're not already a member of GoodReads, you can join for free and enter. There are LOTS of giveaways here and I've won several books already, as have many of my sweepstakes friends.

Here's a link to Kelsey's book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24397005-big-girl

Not sure how this is going to show up for you since I'm a member and I've already entered...if it doesn't go directly to her book, just do a search on

Big Girl: How I Gave Up Dieting and Got a Life

Thanks so much for sharing that with us, JZJ.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #354  

Relistening to my IE cd.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #355  

Height: 5' 2"

Another "Hybrid" here. I realize that following a diet seems to cause me to think about food way, way too much. I've tried Beck method of Behavior Modification and it helped me kick a couple bad habits.

However, last night as I read a very good book I managed to polish off the rest of the Oreo's. Don't believe that is Instinctive eating, more like a binge.

Would love to exercise but Asthma has hit a bit hard with this cold weather. Back to TV room where it is warm and perhaps try some Physical Therapy exercise to strengthen my bad leg.

Sandy
love2garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #356  

Love, that is why you are not to eat while you do other things but I know how hard that is.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #357  

Carolr, I never got into the habit of eating while reading or watching TV for some reason. When I was still working I wore a lab coat at work with big pockets. I always had snacks in my pocket and ate all day. It wasn't hunger...I think that was stress related. I thought I would lose weight when I retired since I don't graze all day anymore, but I am probably eating larger meals now that I'm not having the in-between snacks. I think I'm better off now because I eat healthier foods at my meals now and the things I was snacking on weren't always healthy.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #358  

My problem is I lost 40lb but in the last 2 yr. I gained back 15.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #359  

Carolr, have you examined why this happened? Occasionally I will realize that I am not longer waiting for hunger or stopping when satisfied. It's easy to slip out of that.

Don't make it about the 15 lbs. Make it about doing what you know is healthy for your body. Maybe that wasn't a healthy weight for your body, and this is. Only you know the answer to that. If you follow the priciples I believe your body will find the right weight for you.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #360  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Interesting article about the role of hunger https://aeon.co/essays/hunger-is-psychological-and-dieting-only-makes-it-worse
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote