General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #391  

Pink, so sorry to hear about your mom. I'm sending jingles to you and your family.

I know just what you mean about emotional eating. It would be great to never do it, but sometimes, it is what we need in that moment to care for ourselves. Maybe one day we won't need to do it, but I think you are doing a great job to just observe and ponder it without judging yourself. Best way to learn.

Hang in there.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #392  

Thank you Beginme, I appreciate it. I feel frustrated sometimes because this is an ongoing issue and I feel like any time I make significant progress in my emotional eating something with my mom happens that sends me into a tailspin. I know it can be seen as an opportunity to learn and grow and apply what I am working on but it feels too soon and too hard. I have definitely been eating more emotionally the past few days. Im trying not to beat myself up about it and continue to observe and be aware.

Yesterday I think I kind of unconsciously underrate so at work around 2 pm I felt terrible. LIghtheaded, shaky, pounding headache and when I got home around 5 I made up for under eating by overeating.

It feels so hard to take care of myself properly with food. Hmm I guess that makes sense when I look at my childhood past. I spent a lot of it being deprived of food when I was hungry and deprived of certain kinds of food. My parents were always following some weird diet or way of eating that they also inflicted on their children. And that is before my eating disordered mother refused to grocery shop but also refused to allow me to eat the food that was in the house after they were divorced. I guess food really is nurturing for me, maybe the way I try to get the nurturing I never had.

I feel like I either overfeed myself or underfeed myself. It is SO hard to find and maintain a balance.

My husband is always getting mad at me because he says I don't take care of myself. Not enough sleep, not enough food, putting my needs last etc... I have really been working on those but I think I still have a ways to go.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #393  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

I honestly struggle with the balance too. Not sure how other mothers manage it all. I'm trying to get enough sleep, keep hydrated, eat well while also caring for my kid's needs.Intuitive eating helps, feels more natural as I let go.
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #394  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhippie View Post
Thank you Beginme, I appreciate it. I feel frustrated sometimes because this is an ongoing issue and I feel like any time I make significant progress in my emotional eating something with my mom happens that sends me into a tailspin. I know it can be seen as an opportunity to learn and grow and apply what I am working on but it feels too soon and too hard. I have definitely been eating more emotionally the past few days. Im trying not to beat myself up about it and continue to observe and be aware.

Yesterday I think I kind of unconsciously underrate so at work around 2 pm I felt terrible. LIghtheaded, shaky, pounding headache and when I got home around 5 I made up for under eating by overeating.

It feels so hard to take care of myself properly with food. Hmm I guess that makes sense when I look at my childhood past. I spent a lot of it being deprived of food when I was hungry and deprived of certain kinds of food. My parents were always following some weird diet or way of eating that they also inflicted on their children. And that is before my eating disordered mother refused to grocery shop but also refused to allow me to eat the food that was in the house after they were divorced. I guess food really is nurturing for me, maybe the way I try to get the nurturing I never had.

I feel like I either overfeed myself or underfeed myself. It is SO hard to find and maintain a balance.

My husband is always getting mad at me because he says I don't take care of myself. Not enough sleep, not enough food, putting my needs last etc... I have really been working on those but I think I still have a ways to go.
From time to time I try to get away from IE when it starts to feel like a diet. The stress of self care can get to me and I need to remove food from the equation. Sometime you shouldn't have to justify why you're eating. It's ok to eat even if you aren't hungry, even if you just ate, even if you already had dessert, even if you're feeling emotional.

Sometimes being kind to yourself means not pestering yourself to do the right thing.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #395  

What a month it has been. Hope everyone is well. I'm well if not a little anxious. The weather is turning which always stirs up dieting thoughts, the thought of sleeveless shirts and shorts always makes me uneasy. I've been doing an Ayurvedic herbal cleanse and it's going well, it has become a part of me now and luckily I've maintained my stance on not dieting or weighing myself.

I had a moment of diet mentality the other day. I was at PT and a new patient next to me made me feel anxious. This place has a lot of athletes so it's nothing new but this girl was wearin short shorts and her legs were like magazine legs. Long, lean, strong, not one vericose vein, not even a hint of cellulite. They looked airbrushed. It was unsettling and I don't know why. I've been thinking a lot about my thighs lately, partly because this cleanse I'm doing has me doing a daily lymphatic massage. My thighs have always been the largest part of my body and I have log come to accept that they will always be what they are - large. But it has gotten in my head that through this cleanse and through PT that I can change my legs and even though that gives me hope it also makes me anxious. I know they will never be magazine legs but I know that there is hope to make them better and not just for vanity reasons but because I can sense there is a real circulation problem here that I need to address. It makes me love my thighs more which also makes me realize that I've been ignoring them big time. Ignoring them in the sense that I hate them and I don't even bother putting on lotion. But with the lymphatic massage I'm touching a part of me I haven't touched in years. Isn't that weird?

Sorry for the confusing post.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:16 PM   #396  

Quote:
not one vericose vein,
Ha! My legs are loaded. Battle scars from ten beautiful children.............well worth it. I just wear long skirts and ignore them.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #397  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Ha! My legs are loaded. Battle scars from ten beautiful children.............well worth it. I just wear long skirts and ignore them.

10 kids wow! You've earned every scar. That's a beautiful thing.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #398  

Thanks. Our 23rd grandchild is due in Oct.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #399  

I'm still doing my aryuvedic cleanse. It has gotten very intense but I'm still at it has impacted my IE, though not sure if it's a bad thing or a good thing. On the one hand this program has made my hunger/fullness signals very acute. I don't have to question my state of fullness, it's not something I have to think through because it is obvious if I'm hungry or full or whatever.

The only thing that is creeping up is that I'm having a lot of good IE days. I'm eating in a way that I would consider "clean eating" if I were to describe it in diet terms. Lots of veggies, small portions, really healthy stuff. What's worrisome about it is that it makes me feel a little proud of my eating and that leads to rebellion. When I look back at my day and judge my eating as being "good" the next day things go not so good. Monday in particular I checked a lot of diet-positive boxes - gym, healthy breakfast, green juice, no meat, early dinner, low carb, no late night snacking, lots of energy - and I unwittingly patted myself on the back. Well the next day I ate only carbs morning till night. I know there's nothing wrong with eating carbs but all day long for every meal and snack? That's not normal behavior for me, that's more like rebellion.

So the bigger question here is how do I maintain my level of self care without triggering food rebel? Can't I do anything that makes me feel good without that rebel popping up?

Quote:
Thanks. Our 23rd grandchild is due in Oct.
Holidays must be a blast!
Old 03-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #400  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Does anyone know how we can contact a 3FC admin to ask for our own board instead of just one big, long thread? I've recently started the intuitive eating process, as I just cannot stand the thought of "another diet" - and I would love to see an entire area dedicated just to this philosophy.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #401  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunula View Post
Does anyone know how we can contact a 3FC admin to ask for our own board instead of just one big, long thread? I've recently started the intuitive eating process, as I just cannot stand the thought of "another diet" - and I would love to see an entire area dedicated just to this philosophy.
This is something we have tried to do and we've been denied. But you're welcome to try too by contacting Suzanne3FC
Old 03-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #402  

Palestrina, the big one here is Thanksgiving. We usually get quite a few then. The thing is once you do IE it ruins dieting. Ha
Old 03-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #403  

Quote:
Palestrina, the big one here is Thanksgiving. We usually get quite a few then. The thing is once you do IE it ruins dieting. Ha
Ain't that the truth! And I think that's a good thing.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:17 AM   #404  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post

So the bigger question here is how do I maintain my level of self care without triggering food rebel? Can't I do anything that makes me feel good without that rebel popping up?

I have this exact same issue and I do not know how to conquer it. In between my last post and now I have had a LOT of rebellion eating. Sigh... BIG sigh...
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:32 AM   #405  

S/C/G: 232/226/137

Height: 5'3"

Hi, I am newly returning here, and I *think* this is where I would fit. I want to increase my self-care - getting enough rest, movement, foods that are nourishing, but I know that if I say I will never have ____, I will obsess about it and then overdo it. I am not sure, though, because I feel like I need to make some level of plan. I live in the country, so my thinking is that I would stock my fridge/pantry with wholesome things, have a plan, but not be too strict with it. I am not sure if that is too structured to be considered intuitive eating though. My house has a very broad variety of foods, and I'm able to take ingredients and make just about anything I'd want to eat. I just want to get to a place where I use those skills to nourish myself instead of making sweets from scratch all the time. Thanks for reading.
catinhat is offline   Reply With Quote