General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #196  

I'm still struggling with nighttime (mostly in front of the TV) eating. Not binging, really, but just picking at a bit of this and that. I do fine during the day, and if for any reason I am doing things other than watching TV, I don't have that problem.

Since I really enjoy my nighttime TV watching (it's the only time I watch) I've decided that if I must have something to eat I will eat it at the kitchen table. I can hear the TV from there but I cannot see it. I know that many of the IE books tell you to sit and eat without distractions, but I must admit that this is the one time of the day that I am guilty of this. It's just a long-running habit that I feel I need to break.

Since I am not restricting my food intake at all, just adjusting WHERE I eat, I am hopeful that this will help.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
As much as I love eating low carb, I haven't been able to stick with it all the time. Thank God with IE I don't have to. I can eat low carb when I'm hungry for it, but I don't have to if I don't. Besides, I've been reading a lot of new research that is coming out and isn't it interesting that the medical field including nutritionists never can make up their minds if certain foods are good or bad for you. One of the most recent ones I've read is that... they used to think that whole milk is bad for us, now they aren't so sure that is right. I remember hearing we needed 3 servings of dairy a day, now they are not so sure. Sure makes the IE idea of "Make peace with food" and "There are good/bad foods" sound more accurate doesn't it.
I just re-read this I wanted to make a correction to a typo. IE says "There are NO good/bad foods". I'm sorry I didn't say that correctly. I felt it should be corrected in case someone new to IE read this.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #198  

Maven, I really can't just sit and eat and watch something. I always end up overeating. I have to confine my eating to "meals"- that doesn't mean 3 meals a day, in fact I usually eat about 5-6, but it means sitting down with the intention to feed myself and to focus on that.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #199  

Last night I tried postponing apple pie that everyone was eating. Had it this morning and it didn't taste good...........even warmed it. That's from that new book, "Eat It Later".
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #200  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Same Problem sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
I'm still struggling with nighttime (mostly in front of the TV) eating. Not binging, really, but just picking at a bit of this and that. I do fine during the day, and if for any reason I am doing things other than watching TV, I don't have that problem.

Since I really enjoy my nighttime TV watching (it's the only time I watch) I've decided that if I must have something to eat I will eat it at the kitchen table. I can hear the TV from there but I cannot see it. I know that many of the IE books tell you to sit and eat without distractions, but I must admit that this is the one time of the day that I am guilty of this. It's just a long-running habit that I feel I need to break.

Since I am not restricting my food intake at all, just adjusting WHERE I eat, I am hopeful that this will help.
My problem is not so much as having to have something to eat while watching tv, I have books to cure that. My problem lies in that we have a very small house and the kitchen and living room are next to each other and arranged that there is no escaping the tv. My intention is to eat with my head down and try to focus more on my hunger/fullness. Have a blessed day all.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #201  

I'm finally starting to think Mindfully/Intuitively again. Today I thought of something I wanted to eat. I knew I couldn't be hungry because I had eaten and my stomach was full. I found myself saying out loud to my "Now you know you just want the taste of the food because you are feeling stuffed". I actually talked myself out of eating it.

I can't promise I'll do that next time, but I am thankful that I was able to do it this time. Step by step and one day or one meal or snack at a time.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #202  
I am more than weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
I'm finally starting to think Mindfully/Intuitively again. Today I thought of something I wanted to eat. I knew I couldn't be hungry because I had eaten and my stomach was full. I found myself saying out loud to my "Now you know you just want the taste of the food because you are feeling stuffed". I actually talked myself out of eating it.

I can't promise I'll do that next time, but I am thankful that I was able to do it this time. Step by step and one day or one meal or snack at a time.
Baby steps! Baby steps! Good for you, celebrate the victory!!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:26 AM   #203  

TamTam I agree. Baby steps. I am experiencing those baby steps back into total IE. I have been praying for the Lord to help me because obviously I haven't been successful at this on my own.

When I woke up today I seemed be aware that all this dieting has just kept me in total bondage to a rollercoaster that has actually kept me feeling like a total failure when it comes to food. I've just been stuck and there are so many different ideas on how to lose weight. Like I've said on here before, I am so tired of the contradictions of eat this not that and then someone else says no don't eat that, eat this. It is like being on a rollercoaster of total confusion.

I've been thinking a lot about what Rob Stevens' said in his book The Overfed Head of how is friend ate. She was able to eat what she wanted only when hungry and only as much as she needed to satisfy her hunger. The key was that she didn't have a "diet mentality" so she never felt like she had to eat the whole carton of ice cream because she "knew" she could have more later if she wanted it. She might eat one bite or a few bites, but she never overate whatever she ate. And he said she did not eat "diet" foods either. Next baby 2 steps I'm taking is... I've decided today that I am not going to use any more diet foods and I am not going to forbid myself any foods that I like.

I realize that a lot of times I just want the taste of a certain food and if I wasn't dieting there are times when I can eat a few bites it doesn't taste as good as it did at first, but I go ahead and eat it just because it is counted in my "Diet Plan". I remember someone saying that when we eat something we are really hungry for that if we would pay attention that we would find that we don't really want the whole serving or package etc because after a few bites it doesn't taste as good as the first few bites did. I read of a woman who eats low carb because that is what works for her physically. However, I've heard her say many a time that when she and her husband who has no weight/food problem go out to eat, she may have him order a dessert she wants just so she can have a few bites of it. She says after a couple of bites that she finds she is satisfied with it because she just wanted a taste of it.

I've done that in the past when I was not dieting. I think, for me, when I'm dieting, the thought sets in that hey I may not be able to have this again so I eat more than I want. I think it is being "afraid" I can't have it again. It's that "diet thinking" keeping me in this trap/merry-go-round.

I think another reason I fall into the "diet mentality" is that since I'm so over weight that I think "I should to be on a diet" so I can say "Oh I'm doing _____diet. It's like when your overweight that you are "obligated" to be on one. However, I've been on a diet of some sort for a good 50 yrs and I still weigh a few lbs more than what I did 50 yrs ago. I've lost and gained and lost and gained and gotten no where. This is crazy to keep doing what got me in this shape to start with. Never was overweight until I started dieting.

The diet bread I had was molding this morning so I had to put it down the garbage disposal and made myself a slice of cheese toast and toast with PB on regular bread and had a cup of coffee and it actually tasted good. I've got a crock pot of stew going for dinner today and it has what some would call good/bad carbs that I like in it and I am looking forward to having it.

I should have learned this before just from experience of when I was thin. When DH and I go out to Golden Coral, I eat a little bit of ALL the foods that I like as well as a piece of my favorite dessert and I never overeat. If I get something looks good and I get it and then I taste it and it doesn't taste as good as I thought it would. I don't eat it. I also love how they now have the small plates with small pieces of cakes on them instead of me having to cut it. I always try to get the smallest cut... just right amount. What has always amazedme is that when I weigh the next day that I actually have a weight loss NOT a gain. So my question is how in the world did I get so brainwashed into believing that I couldn't eat any food that I like.

Sorry this is so long. It does help when I write it and can see it in print. If you've read this far. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #204  
I am more than weight.

Default Afternoon ladies!!

Trish I ALWAYs read all your posts as well as all the others'postings. You all inspire me. I can relate to all you said in the last post. I am trying to keep the idea that if I don't get to have a particular food ever again, it is ok because that should not be the most important thing in my life. If should not be up there with if I never see my husband, son, dil, friends again - THAT should be what matters, not some food. Today I am "off" from the shops. I did errands, went shopping, ordered me some shirts for the winter, TOOK A NAP finished reading Natually Slim. The first part was GREAT, she lost me at the second part with all the psychology. But I will keep it as a referral for the first part of the book. I think with my baby steps I will take one aspect of IE and work on that for a couple of weeks or however long it takes and just concentrate on that and then work on combining step one with step two and so on. When I went to the grocery store I knew what groceries I needed. The wheat bread is going stale and I am not really a fan of wheat bread, I really like white bread but I eat it because hubby eats it. Well I got me a loaf of white bread. I had it for breakfast toasted with butter and jelly. It was soooo good. I had it for lunch with chicken and mayo on it. Yum. I plan on eating white bread. Why do we compromise? So anyway have a blessed afternoon!
Old 10-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #205  

pattygirl, I totally hear you on the diet food. I have never been able to tolerate any of it, especially so-called "diet" salad dressings. I jettisoned the idea of diet foods a long, long time ago - long before I ever heard of IE. Perhaps that was my instinctive way of just knowing that trying to eat them was counter-productive for me.

Or maybe it was just because they were GROSS! LOL

TamTam, you sound just like me when it comes to white bread. I am so doggone tired of hearing about how white bread is next to poison in some circles. I love white bread, although I have been eating Nature's Own Honey Wheat Bread for several years now. It's not really wheat bread - it's actually closer to white bread than to wheat bread - but I love the taste and it satisfies my need to have some bread each morning. I can go without bread for the rest of the day, but I love cheese toast on this bread and it is very satisfying.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #206  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Hi, everybody...Just stopped by to catch up on the posts, and there's some really good reading here over the past month or so.

I'm another one who has tossed aside all IE principles--too easy to make it into another diet--and I just go about life, trying to let food just be food, like it was when I was naturally thin and never spent too much time thinking about it.

Until I read what somebody posted earlier, I hadn't realized that I've used diets to calm anxiety too, and reading weight loss boards is just one form of that (since I got rid of all my diet books years ago). Right now on Facebook I'm in one IE group, a Spark People group, a NutriBullet recipes group, and three or four low carb groups. I tell myself that I like reading the success stories, but really, why torture myself? The IE group is really good though.

Whenever I'm "supposed to be" on a diet, I find that I can't stay away from mini Reese's Cups, and I'd always have a bag in my desk drawer, and I'd mindlessly eat them, most times out of rebellion to the thought that I "shouldn't be" eating them.

Since I've decided that I'll eat them any time I want them, I've discovered that I really don't like them as much as I thought I did. I don't know if they're made differently now or what, but when I actually pay attention to how they taste instead of eating one after another mechanically, they seem a little too sweet. I went grocery shopping this morning and didn't even buy a bag. That's really different for me--and it's not because I don't think I should eat them. I really don't want any right now.

I also like many kinds of bread and bread products like English muffins. Now that I've decided not to restrict myself from any of those, I keep a large package of English muffins in the freezer and, since it's just hubby and me at home, I buy a loaf of white bread and a loaf of some delicious-looking whole grain bread, then I take half a loaf of each and put them, two slices each, into zip lock bags and store them in the freezer too. This way, the loaf doesn't go stale, and I don't feel like we have to hurry up and eat the whole thing before it goes to waste. We just take out a ziplock or two of bread, let it thaw, then we have bread whenever we want it, and I'm discovering that we don't eat it every day.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #207  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hi, I saw your thread name & it sounded interesting so here I am

PLease tell me about this concept. Is it stopping to eat prior to feeling full or what?

When I had to buy 1 pair of size 14-16 jeans & my top/my girls got fat & went up 2 cup sizes from emotional eating & over-eating about 5 yrs ago; from me wearing size 8 my entire adult life; I flipped myself back into reality & I quit eating Stupidly--{My husband's cancer had returned & he was on Chemo & he wouldn't eat his: ice cream, pizza, etc. alone after his doctor told Dh to regain the 20# he had lost. Well I gained 20# eating w him

My health & metabolism r different now & I looked @ the many diet plans, but I don't want ppl to dictate what I can eat so I eat under 1,800 calories daily of what I want & I don't eat more than 2 serving sizes unless it's veggies or fruit, it's become my food lifestyle. It took me 6 months of eating that way to wear size 10 jeans, sometimes a size 8 fits but not very often. And I've been this size for the last 4 yrs & I think my body feels happy, but @ my doctors yrly apt she always tells me: my body is soft, my calves r big, I need more muscle strength Okay for her to say because she's petite, 5' tall & wears a size 2 & is in her 40's dressing like a model.

Okay, now U know my history. I'll never wear a size 6-8 again & I'm okay w that but my doctor makes me feel bad about my body, she's not being helpful.

Dh is hungry so I gotta go now, I hope everybody Enjoys their Sweetest Day w their Special person
miniDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #208  
I am more than weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
Hi, everybody...Just stopped by to catch up on the posts, and there's some really good reading here over the past month or so.

I'm another one who has tossed aside all IE principles--too easy to make it into another diet--and I just go about life, trying to let food just be food, like it was when I was naturally thin and never spent too much time thinking about it.

Until I read what somebody posted earlier, I hadn't realized that I've used diets to calm anxiety too, and reading weight loss boards is just one form of that (since I got rid of all my diet books years ago). Right now on Facebook I'm in one IE group, a Spark People group, a NutriBullet recipes group, and three or four low carb groups. I tell myself that I like reading the success stories, but really, why torture myself? The IE group is really good though.

Whenever I'm "supposed to be" on a diet, I find that I can't stay away from mini Reese's Cups, and I'd always have a bag in my desk drawer, and I'd mindlessly eat them, most times out of rebellion to the thought that I "shouldn't be" eating them.

Since I've decided that I'll eat them any time I want them, I've discovered that I really don't like them as much as I thought I did. I don't know if they're made differently now or what, but when I actually pay attention to how they taste instead of eating one after another mechanically, they seem a little too sweet. I went grocery shopping this morning and didn't even buy a bag. That's really different for me--and it's not because I don't think I should eat them. I really don't want any right now.

I also like many kinds of bread and bread products like English muffins. Now that I've decided not to restrict myself from any of those, I keep a large package of English muffins in the freezer and, since it's just hubby and me at home, I buy a loaf of white bread and a loaf of some delicious-looking whole grain bread, then I take half a loaf of each and put them, two slices each, into zip lock bags and store them in the freezer too. This way, the loaf doesn't go stale, and I don't feel like we have to hurry up and eat the whole thing before it goes to waste. We just take out a ziplock or two of bread, let it thaw, then we have bread whenever we want it, and I'm discovering that we don't eat it every day.
Good idea about freezing the bread. Will have to do that!
Old 10-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #209  
I am more than weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniDoodles View Post
Hi, I saw your thread name & it sounded interesting so here I am

My health & metabolism r different now & I looked @ the many diet plans,
Okay, now U know my history. I'll never wear a size 6-8 again & I'm okay w that but my doctor makes me feel bad about my body, she's not being helpful.
You may want to have a heart to heart with your doctor and tell him/her how they make you feel and if they continue you will find another doctor. Remember they work for YOU!

There are several good books on Intuitive Eating, one being Intuitive Eating, the Eden Diet is a Christian Approach, the Overfed Head is very short and simple. You eat when you are physically hungry, eat what you want and stop when satisfied and approaching full. Have a blessed day and welcome to the group!
Old 10-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #210  

Minidoodles Welcome to the group. Tam Tam gave you good advice.

I don't think I'm eating a lot since doing IE. Making some changes that I've read that you should do on a diet example... I didn't want anything in my coffee this morning. It wasn't really a conscious decision this morning, I just didn't want it. Strange how IE makes you free to do good things without even trying. Hopefully a lot of this is coming together for me. However, I liked what Becky said about not making IE principles just another diet. So I don't want to push anything that might become a "diet" concept because I think that would be a big downfall for me in the long run.

Just taking it one day at a time.