General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 08:21 AM   #91  
Long Lost Chickie

Ya know, 'puters are great when they work but when they don't ... not so much!! My lap top just refuses to let me log on to the 'net lately. Humph. Must be male!

Faye, I'd love one of those gliders! Just as long as I don't have to listen to that Tony guy. Yikes. Let us know how you like it.

Quilter, glad things are getting back to normal. Last week, lightning hit the building where I used to go get my hair cut. It was a couple of small businesses with apartments on the top floor. Drove past it a couple days ago. Place is totally gutted by fire. Really scary when you think about it.

Cafe, you sound entirely too organized there girlie! I can't keep all these diet plans straight. Sounds like you're gaining lots of knowledge. And knowledge is POWER!

Tiger, never thought of even trying on those wrap style tops. Hm..... But I cleared out 3 big black plastic trash bags of old clothes of the "maybe I'll wear this again some day" variety and my closet is still crammed. Better not even think about buying more.

Have to go now. Off to the Home Depot or Lowe's. I need a thin border to go around some of the windows here. Yes, Rich decided to wait until AFTER I painted to replace some windows. It ain't pretty.

Later!
Old 08-22-2003, 08:28 AM   #92  

Good morning group! How is everyone this morning! I am fit as a fiddle!

I did 15 minutes on my glider, wanted to quit after about 2 because my hip ached but kept at it and it finally went away. I am still going to continue the pool everyday until it closes, but I want to work up some stamina for the machine before I have to use it exclusively.

Woohoo! I lost 8 lbs this week! I am back to where I was at the beginning of the year commitment wise. I really want to be in an 18 for my son's nuptials. I haven't worn an 18 since I graduated from high school 30 years ago!

Oh about clothes, I am not sure whether or not I told you about the "fight" I got into with Lane Bryant over deferred billing. I ordered $300 worth of smaller size clothing, asked for deferred billing and they "authorized" my credit card. I pitched a fit and told them if I had wanted to pay for the stuff up front I would have! I sent them the definition of deferred from the dictionary , told them to keep their clothes and that I belonged to 3 websites for overweight women I was was going to encourage people not to buy from any of the Brylane companies and really went on and on. Two nights ago the phone rang and Jack answered and said it was Lane Bryant. I was in no mood to get into it with them and was minorly peeved at Jack, but took the call. Believe it or not, this supervisor fell all over herself apologizing saying when they keyed in the merchandise they did not key in deferred billing and she wanted to know if I would still like the clothes because she would verify everything over the phone. I said that would be nice, and she said she was sending everything express and waiving all shipping charges! My stuff should be here by Monday at the latest! Jack smirked and said, "Aren't you glad you took the call?" I laughed and apologized and said yes I was.

Have a great Friday ladies and a great weekend if I don't get back here!

Faye
Old 08-22-2003, 09:10 AM   #93  

I can't believe it's Friday already. This week has wiz'd by for me. I'm still not organized and ready for my new "plan". I'll be reading this morning and shopping this afternoon. I want to be all geared up for Monday.

Faye, does the glider work your arms or just the legs? I'd really like to get a piece of equipment, but have no idea what I should be looking for. I keep telling DH we should get a bowflex. He just laughs at me.

Quilter, I forget...did you buy the SoB book or did u just gather info online? I have online info right now...printed and ready for me to review. I probably could have bought the book for as much ink as I used printing.

Jello, since I don't work outside the home anymore, 3 bags of clothes is probably all I have and half of them probably deserve the black trash bag.
Has anyone seen "what not to wear"? They use normal sized, real body women for the makeovers. Make'em try on all their "wrong clothes" in front of a 3way mirror. Throw away the clothes. Then, tell them what to shop for with 5000 bucks!

I'm off to read my SoB printed materials, decide if I should by the book and make a grocery list.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:04 AM   #94  

Good morning my ladies! Happy Friday, too.

Jello - way to go on the closet cleanout! I have more weeding to do, too. I do it in phases, each time I just get rid of stuff I feel totally confident saying goodbye to... pretty soon I want more space. I swear I must have been a packrat before because I'm not buying much now.

Tig - OK I need to go on that show - where do I sign up?? Wanna hear something naughty? Just GET the book already, BUT right away put the paper jacket on top of the bookshelf so it stays perfect. If you don't like it, bring it back. If you like it, keep it. For the decision-impaired (me) this can be a good way to get on with life. Stores do give returns - for a reason. Now, I'm not suggesting you read paperback novels and return them, LOL.

Faye - Good for you for standing up for yourself with the retailers! It's not always easy to get good customer service, but it's always nice when it finally happens. ---describe--- the glider - please? I feel like I've seen this before but for the life of me I cannot recall what it does. (duh)

Quilter - you are totally right- I didn't read too much! Actually I didn't get a chance to look over the diet PLAN, instead I concentrated on skimming through the sections that provided a brief the history of diet plans and slowed down for details of the philosophy of the South Beach D. Have you done the Atkins too?

There WAS a section in SoB specifically about Atkins which I read carefully because what I really wanted to know was how the plans are different. From 10,000 feet. The info there and comparing what I plucked out of Atkins to get his side of the story is what I tried to summarize...

Now I do NOT know details on how the actual phases of the diet plans differ, no time to read and analyze. (didn't get to crack a book last night). I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

What I do know:

*Both programs have a 2 week induction.

*Both programs stress the importance of limiting carbs & esp. the wrong kind to lose weight.

*South Beach seems to be a little less restrictive of actually counting grams, and stresses the importance of the glycemic index of the carbs. Atkins has a carb counter guide (with everything under the sun in it incl. the items you mentioned) that separates "total carbs" from "REAL carbs" which probably accomplishes the same thing with different terminology, because spending your carbs on high-glycemic ones would make your life difficult?

*Biggest differences seem to be the elimination of Saturated fats in the SoB D, and different "presentation style."

*South Beach also seems to be a lot like the Zone with a lot less counting. I had to throw that one in.

So you can see why I thought they were pretty similar, with South Beach adopting a more cautious approach to 'bad' fats.

Oh man, I wrote my own book. Where's my publisher?? Ladies, you are always free to skim down to the next post when I ramble like that.

Who's ready for the weekend??

Last edited by Cafe976; 08-22-2003 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:47 AM   #95  

Cafe: I will enclose a pic of the Tony Little one at the bottom. I think it is also called an eliptical machine but don't quote me on that one!

Tig: It works mostly your legs. I do something that works my biceps though. I stand still on the footpads and pull the bars towards me. Lot of resistance with my size so my biceps get a workout. What about the equipment that Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley sell on tv? It looks pretty good for an overall workout. Don't know what the $$ are on it though.

Just peeking in so better go!

Faye
Old 08-22-2003, 01:56 PM   #96  

ooo! It looks neato. Think I'd fall off?
Old 08-22-2003, 04:16 PM   #97  
Long Lost Chickie

Maybe. If "I" fell off, I've got enough padding to break my fall.

... Darn it.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:07 PM   #98  

Real quick...wanted to tell you I CANT FIND THE SoB BOOK IN THE STORE! It's on backorder! To think, I saw one lonely copy at Wally World a couple weeks ago. *banging head on desk*
Maybe it can still be ordered online...
Old 08-22-2003, 09:41 PM   #99  

Hello Ladies!

Well Hubby and I got away for our mini-vacation last Friday after we got the whole no power thing straightened out here!! I was pretty much in tears when I had to throw all my food in the fridge out-especially after I had just shopped 2 days prior! But we had a lovely time anyways-but it was over far too quickly-we sure missed the kids though for those few days!!

Jello: I hope that you are still doing well with your recovery-remember it doesn't end at 6 weeks though-don't be too hard on yourself!

gma2one: I have a Tony Little gazelle, I don't use it often now because I run outside, but I do like it. It has very little impact on joints which is good. I also did the exercise just pulling my weight with the handles. Also, if you stand sideways on it(one foot on each ) you can do inner thigh exercises. Have fun with it!

I am going to get the South Beach Diet book tomorrow. I looked for it here in my city and they are all out, and have many on waiting lists-so I have to drive a half hour to another city to get it! Silly me-I should have got it a month ago when I was looking at it! I am more interested in the actual phases(but don't know if i will follow that) and the recipes that I keep hearing about. I think I said before that I am not treating my WOE as a diet-this is how I plan to eat always-it is very healthy for me and I am enjoying it-it is not something that I think about"having to do" its become 2nd nature! Well best of luck to all you other SB'ers or those debating on it!

Hope you all have a great weekend
Old 08-23-2003, 10:36 AM   #100  
I'm back again

Hello all,

Just popping in to read and add a bit to the thread..

Tiger: Our dog is a rat terrier--8 wks old and feisty! She is housetraining me! Been busy with her, start of school, work, my sis's surgery, etc. Haven't even been able to lurk till this am.

Cafe: I'm looking into the SoB diet also. Is it closer to the Carbohydrate Addict's diet? Putting WW on the back burner for a bit (altho I think you always take a little with you). I wasn't gaining or losing and the motivation wasn't there....
Bought some wt. loss CDs and haven't seen any results yet but I'm not gaining either and it is a different approach---what I need.

SEMO- hope you have a nice trip.

DNW--in my high school biology class we dissected cats---you could smell the formaldehyde in the halls for weeks. In college, we did fetal pigs. It does teach you alot about anatomy, I guess.You just have to look at it as learning experience and the animals probably died from naturals causes. At least that is what I always thought....

Jello: sounds like you are recovering nicely...enjoy!

Faye: I hate those kind of pranks in the pool! You never know...candybar or poo? I wish I had your motivation to exercise!

Huntress: Howdy, down there!

To all else: Have a great weekend!

Bright
Old 08-25-2003, 07:11 AM   #101  

Monday! Where do the weekends go?

I'm starting SoB today at 199.5 pounds. I haven't gotten the book yet, but think I have enough info from online to fill in the blanks until I can get my hands on the book.

This weekend is my towns big festival. The Blueberry Festival. Craft booths and food booths galore! I hope I can figure out something acceptable to eat there.

Meanwhile, hoping my frog de-legger comes home today. There's a chance of rain the next couple of days and it's getting ugly out there.

Gotta get the kids up for school. I'll be back.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:33 AM   #102  

Tig: You KNOW I am jealous of you being at the festival, but not the traffic getting in and out! We also started carrying our own chairs (those foldable kind that have a canvas bag sleeve for them to go in) because sitting is a precious commodity there! Are you going to the parade too? watch out for the funnel cake, fried candy bars and twinkies!

Well, dh and I are taking dgs to see Monsters Inc on Ice at the incredibly disgusting price of $152 for the three of us. Have you ever heard of anything so awful! Sheesh! You even have to pay full price for dgs and he is three for heaven's sake. Oh well, the price of being a grandparent! (he gets dinner out too!)

Pool was closed yesterday so I did 3-15 minute routines on my glider. I only have one week left before the pool closes so I want to be able to get in it everyday, but for some reason it wasn't open at all yesterday. I am getting ready to go check in just a minute.

Our power went out this morning so genius that I am thought, "Well, you can't see to read, can't watch tv or post so why not exercise." BIG DUMB MOVE! It is very hot, very sticky here and I was drenched in sweat but I got 15 minutes in so I only have 2 more to go. If my feet didn't start hurting so badly from standing still, I could do more because I am not tired and the hips aching have subsided now too.

Well, girlies, better check the pool availability.

Have a nice day!

Faye
Old 08-25-2003, 10:15 AM   #103  

Faye, I used to live on Michigan Street two blocks from the park! Talk about traffic. We couldn't go anywhere all weekend, strange people would try to park in our yard and set up parade blankets out my front door. The easiest thing these days is parking at the high school...they have a trolly driving back and forth all day. My mom bought a pull cart last week to haul all her goods in! Last year she bought some really big items that were hard to carry. Funny thing, my favorite booth is usually the Dutch Village one that is actually from Nappanee...20 min from my house. doh!
I doubt we will go to the parade...if anything, we'll hit the craft booths while everyone is AT the parade.

I'm off to the store. Need "D" batteries for the waterproof flash light. DH's wedding ring came off in the pond yesterday. I don't think he'll find it, but I'll play along. And, he gets brownie points for looking.

Old 08-25-2003, 10:41 AM   #104  
Long Lost Chickie

Good morning! Oh gee, is it Monday? Well, ho hum, I wouldn't know.

Sorry girls. Only have a couple more weeks to enjoy this staying home from work stuff. I'm living it up.

I'm very proud of myself. Lots of activity this weekend. Still not 100% but I was feeling brave enough to weed out the front garden and plant some bulbs for next spring. I'd forgotten how much I love digging in the dirt and getting my hands all dirty to make things grow. At least, I hope they grow! The weather had cooled down just a little bit and I got out there before the sun came around to where I was planting.

We also got 2 more windows installed this weekend. I spent most of the time cleaning up after Mr. Fix-It. Must have gone up and down the stairs 30 times carting out old wood, windows and other assorted junk. And through it all, I felt pretty darn good!

But enough about me....

Faye, why was the pool closed again? Or don't we want to know? Hope it's open today.

Tiger, I love festivals like that! I usually hit at least one apple festival around here once the fall comes. And it's not too far off.

Fall. Hm, and then winter..... Oooh, I'm going to depress myself if I keep thinking like that. Last night, I actually started thinking about Easter!!! But in a good way. Decided Easter is about 8 months away. I could lose, oh 35 or 40 pounds in 8 months, right?

Nice to be thinking about weight loss seriously again. Time to make a new start. First TOPS meeting is Wednesday evening ... if I don't chicken out. Back to Curves next week I think. They've installed new machines, I hear. Good. Just what I need. A little embarrassment to keep me humble.....
Old 08-25-2003, 10:58 AM   #105  

Welcome back, Sassy, I'm glad you had a good lil vacation. I do hate throwin' food away - know what you mean there. You've got the right mindset - we have to change our pattern or we'll turn right back around and go back to where we were.

Bright, it's nice to see you! I'm not familiar with Carbo Addicts? Finally getting to do some reading this weekend, though. I really like the sound of the SoB diet because there isn't any counting to it. It is definitely a program geared around getting the "white" out of your diet AND getting the saturated fats out at the same time. It's a very healthy, balanced, sustainable WOE/WOL.

When I flipped through the recipes initially I questioned the margerine-type items used, but the Dr. addresses trans fats and mentions that there are certain butter substitutes on the market that are not worse for you than butter (whew!).

Basically the Phase 2 (after the first 2 weeks of only veggies with protein/good fats) consists of gradually adding back other kinds of low-glycemic carbs to your diet slowly. So maybe your first week of Phase 2 you add one additional carb item to your diet daily (say a fruit). From there on out personal awareness and integrity is the key. You slowly add and watch and see what/how much you can do and still keep losing weight. If you go on vacation and totally blow it - you go back on Phase 1 for a week to break the carbohydrate-craving cycle and restart your weightloss.

So while the good Dr. says the diet isn't really necessarily low carb but RIGHT carb, LOL, it could be very similar to your "addicts" because a very big point is limiting insulin response. [all the same foods and reasoning as the Zone diet, without the emphasis on the 40/30/30 ratio to every meal and snack].

Tiger - I am LOL at your dilemma and then the book not being there. <sorry> That is so something I would do. LMK what part of the book you want me to scan.

Faye, I think you deserve a big pat on the back today because of your dedication and consistency with exercise!! Way to go, girl! I'm so proud of you for making it a part of your routine with no ifs ands or buts.

OK, I gotta run off and do a little work, but I'll be back.

Edited to add: Darn it Jello, I don't want to hear about how you don't know what day it is. And now you want to talk winter? Just kidding, you live it up while you can. My DH feels the same way about thinking about winter, but I HAVE to think about it - I need to make a strategy for it, wrap my mind about it and think about the good things I'm going to do during it. Think about the months, even, so that I can remember what to tell myself while it's happening?

...I get through November quite easily with this tactic. December is usually a breeze because everything is lit up at night etc. January is harder but because it is the first REALLY wintery-awful month and it's still filled with new year optimism and sunny if bitterly cold days in these parts... It's Feburary when I lose it. I count the days, knowing it's the shortest month and all downhill from there. Even March is not as bad as February because after all, after March it's over and it's just messy, sloppy, grudgingly early cold spring. So I'm going on vacation in Feburary.

OK really back to work now.

Last edited by Cafe976; 08-25-2003 at 11:13 AM.
Closed Thread