General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #421  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I haven't been here in quite some time, but thought I would drop in and share a little about my doctor's appt. yesterday. After reading the articles on the sites that Carol Sue above on IF, I made copies of both so I could take them to my doctor.

I had talked to him about Intermittent Fasting about a year ago, but he had told me "No, I don't want you skipping meals." I didn't buck him. But now I have the report of the research with the mice that was done and how they expect it to work for diabetics and weight loss. So I took it ready to seriously discuss this with him.

I can't take the diabetic Metformin meds any more because I refuse to live with the side effect I was experiencing and I told him so. I had been doing loads of diabetic research on line and was able to share with him things I had learned from the diabetic websites that I knew he would accept. Then I shared with him the info that I had printed out that Carol Sue had found. I could tell at first that he was thinking "here she goes again". But thank God for a Hubby who used to work in the hospital and had to deal with doctors and knows how to take to a doctor. When the doctor stepped out for a few minutes, DH told me "You have to talk to a doctor the way that a doctor thinks". So when the doctor started giving his objections etc, my hubby spoke up and discussed it telling him how IF helps the liver function in doing its job and that when you eat you interrupt it that it to stop its job which effects the glucose becoming fat etc. Then DH said, "I don't think it would hurt her".

I also explained to him that this is how I ate growing up as a child and every time I was thin and that I was healthy when I ate this way. He finally agreed that I could try this and see how it works out. I really hope I have really good health improvements by the time I see him again in March because if this works like it has always worked for me in the past. I will be a positive example for him.

Doctors do have to see things work to believe. I am blessed with the fact that he is young and he does have the attitude that what works for one doesn't work for all. Even though he seemed skeptical at first, he finally commended me for always looking for a way that I can live with doing because he said "At least you are trying and most people just don't care and give up and that is a good thing."
Old 12-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #422  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

pattygirl, thank you so much for sharing that! I have been so nervous about discussing my diet with my doctor. You did so in a very level-headed way and I'm so glad he is on board. I have no doubt you will go back in March with positive changes to your health.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #423  
No excuses

S/C/G: 136/ticker/116

Progress is progress, gertie. Definitely something to say you ate half of what you would have before.

Way to go on talking to your doctor Trish

Fast today except I went over. Made a chilli potato for dinner and ate it all despite being full and the avocado on top even though I didn't really care if I had it or not, it just needed to be eaten. 725 and no exercise. Just so sore so I'm taking a rest day knowing that I wouldn't be able to do my best and needing to do my assignment (although that isn't happening either ugh)

Last edited by AmethystJean; 12-11-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #424  
300+ Chick

Trish...Good that your doctor approved this way of eating...Good luck if you are going to do this method.

Jean.. hang in there. Hoping this new day will be better!!

Am doing good so...Thursday was my 3 meals...due of the weather..so back to my fasting today..now am drinking water..and stay with one meal.

Enjoy your day all..
Old 12-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #425  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Fast today, I foresee it being difficult but will try my best. It will be a very long day at work, a quick meal at home if I have time, then back out to a work event. I brought an apple just in case I can't manage through the work day. They hold me over pretty well.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #426  

S/C/G: 158.3/148.5/135

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning everyone! I just got in this morning from Louisiana so I was not able to check in... This week was complex and only was able to get one run in tomorrow. However I plan on running tomorrow morning and at least get two in for the week. 16:8 all through except yesterday. I was hungry and ate breakfast which is unusual for me.

Sunday I leave to go to PR to help with my grandparents and I'm not sure How I'm going to keep up with my runs. We'll see. I can at least keep up with my windows and hopefully throw in a fast here and there.

Bbl to check in!

Anyway, hope everyone has a great rest of the week!
Old 12-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #427  
300+ Chick

No name..Stay strong!! You doing good so far..Wishing you a better day..
Old 12-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #428  
300+ Chick

Nayla..Hi...Good luck with your trip..Hoping making wise food choices during your stay..
Old 12-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #429  

I am totally enjoying this way of eating. My plan each day is to eat within an 8 hr window, but I've only done that 1 day this week. The other days have been 6 or 7 hrs. Not eating a whole lot of food, but I do this with Intuitive Eating and I am having no problems at all. I think that is because this is the way I always ate when I was growing up and when I was thin. I almost feel guilty because this is just a "normal" way of eating for me. My blood sugar is normalizing too. It is a little soon for the weight to start coming down.

I saw an article on Yahoo.com homepage telling people about eating 8 to 12 hrs and fasting the 12 to 16 hrs. So people are beginning to see more and more about this way of eating to lose weight and be healthy.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #430  
Started 4th of July

S/C/G: 180/168/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi All,
OMG what a nice group we have become...

Just to say I love the variety of ways a person could fashion this to fit their life styles,,,,In a healthy way....

I am still finding my way, I've had a few good days.

Has anyone heard of the scarsdale diet?.....I tried this before coming here and and use some of it's eating principles in the keep trim program. The overall plan is healthy and low carb, but not as low carb as some diets. Two pieces of bread a day are allowed. I like the two pieces of healthty bread a day. The diet is also low fat...Well a little lowfat is ok with me....Just healthy fats...

So anyway, for today I'm gonna try a eat two times @ 12 hour intervals.....
Old 12-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #431  
Started 4th of July

Patty, Hi,
Just to comment on your when you were young it worked...Me too.

When I was young I was in perfect shape with a form of IF, that wasn't called that back then.

I ate dinner and then about 5 hours after dinner I would snack or eat another meal. I was 120....Oh those were the days my friends,,,,,
And to top it off, I only ate what I thought was worthy of me eating,,,,It had to be yummy.....

Last edited by FinallyFree; 12-12-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #432  

FinallyThin That is interesting. That was pretty much the way I ate and I weighed 120 too. I had never heard of Intermittent Fasting or Intuitive Eating, but the way I ate was a combo of the two.

I actually remember cooking supper for my sisters and me because my parents were going out. When I got through cooking, I wasn't hungry so I didn't eat anything. It wasn't unusual for me to cook meals and not eat. My Mama was a chocoholic (didn't use that term back then either), but when Daddy would go out to his meetings at night, Mama would make fudge candy for us, but I don't remember ever eating it. Since sweets were so available, I never had a sweet tooth. I should have known that my blood sugar was out of whack the day I developed a sweet tooth. LOL

I've always said that I learned how to gain weight when I learned to eat 3 meals a day when I started dieting because I had gained a few lbs. I've been on that roller coaster for years. Decided that I'm not riding it any more.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:05 AM   #433  
Started 4th of July

Trish,
I am so with you. But what happened with me before I got married and then pregnant and a doctor told me to just enjoy my self while I was pregnant,,,,so the sweet portal opened. I'm sure I took the docs advise to far. But before I was married I had no sweet and that was just a personal decision that worked good for me. But I did the intermittent fasting by just eating at night for about a 5 hour window and no sweets. I was active and just my right weight. It wasn't even hard. So as life moved on in marriage and kids,,,DH and I loved to eat,,,,with a nice big eating window,,,and butt.

I am looking forward to finding that happy place for me now. Diabetics should eat low carb mostly I've heard....What's you basic plan or are you still in process of finding one
Old 12-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #434  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

So question for experienced IFers. Like I said I'm only loosely dabbling in it at this point, but I wonder, if your eating window arrives and you're still not hungry do you eat?
Old 12-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #435  

FinallyThin Right now I'm not following a basic plan per se because I'm just trying to keep my fasting blood sugar low and get through the holidays, but what I do eat is within 8 hrs. I think that I will eventually go back to eating within a 5 to 7 hr window. Once I get passed these holidays, I plan to go back to eating more of a modified low carb diet. I would love to eat more of an Atkins plan, but I finally have had to resolve to the point that "it ain't going to happen". I've done it before, but it really just is not me. After reading the recent articles that have come out that they believe that IF has so many health benefits as well as help people lose weight, I believe I can just eat healthy within an 8 hr period of each day and I will not only lose weight but I will be healthy if they are right. Of course, I also have personal experience where it has worked in my own life before anyone ever used the term Intermittent Fasting. Good luck finding that happy place again. I hope we both can find it again myself. Since this is so natural for the 2 of us, I really believe that is the key for us both.

gymrat05 Although I would not call myself experienced because I'm trying to learn to eat this way again. But one rule I personally have for myself is that I am not going to eat if I am not hungry. Of course I eat a combination of Intermittent Fasting and Intuitive Eating. I have spent the last 50 years (I'm 71) eating when a diet plan said I had to or should eat causing me to overeat. I believe when you eat and you are not hungry, you just overate. At least that is how I feel and I believe that is how I became a yo-yo dieter. When left to myself to eat only when I was hungry, I did not have a weight problem. Once I started eating "normal" as most people believe that you should, I began to have a weight problem. Of course, this is what works for me. I'm sure others with more recent experience can answer you better.
Closed Thread