General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #1  

Default how many calories should i eat?

hey all, Happy Holidays!
so I've been counting calories for a while and I've lost weight but due to bad logging I've gained like 10 pounds now. I am 145 and I want to be 135. I'm eating 1389 calories a day trying to lose the weight but I recalculated my TDEE and BMR using fat2fit.com with my body fat percentage, it says my BMR is 1484 and if im sedentary then I should be eating 1728 calories a day and if I'm lightly active I should be eating 1980 a day! My problem is I think that's too much and I don't know which category I fall under sedentary or lightly active. See I work at a theme park 4 times a week so im using taking 5,000 to 13,000 steps 4 days a week. So I don't know which numbers to follow and if they are too high? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
yourgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #2  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Check out other resources to see what is said about calorie counting. Such as this one: http://www.webmd.com/diet/calories-chart

If you want to lose weight and you aren't...there basically are two choices: increase your activity and/or decrease your calories
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #3  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

If you're taking 5,000-13,000 steps four days a week (that's a pretty wide range) and otherwise not really moving or exercising much at all, I'd call that mostly sedentary, for the purposes of calculating calories. You didn't say how old you are, but at your weight, without a ton of exercise, 1400-1500 calories is probably not a bad place to start.

Try eating at 1400-1500 calories a day for a month, see how you feel and if you have lost any weight. When you only have a little bit to lose, it will come off very slowly, so it will take a month or more for you to really know whether your plan is effective. Otherwise any fat loss will be masked by daily weight fluctuations (due to fluid retention, undigested food, etc.) and you will be misled. So try to be patient and give it a good solid month before making tweaks to your plan.

The upshot is calculators are all averaged over populations and the only way to know really what will work for you is to do the science experiment on your own body.

You can also try to add some more strenuous exercises, especially weight-bearing or resistance exercises, to help maintain your muscle mass - you don't just want to lose 10 pounds, you want most of that 10 pounds to be fat, not lean mass.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #4  

Height: 5'2"

It's really just a matter of experimentation. If it were me, I'd use the sedentary figure you got from fit2fat.com and stick to it like glue for a consistent period long enough to see what effect it'll have, then tweak it if you need to.

The problem with eating on the low end of our range is that when our weight inevitably stabilizes, that's it, there's nowhere lower to go. That's great if that is the weight we desire to maintain, but if we still want to lose anything, we have to keep going lower and lower. So, it's better to start at a slightly higher amount of calories and lower as we go, in my opinion.
Sage2 is offline   Reply With Quote