General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #16  

Yes I'm really excited about it. People are losing really good on it. I watched it on the Doctors tv show and another place on line. I can't wait to weigh in Monday and see how I've done this week.
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #17  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvgal View Post
John....the Power cookie one makes...so don't know what you mean by "additional charge". Think the Power Cookie (should one want to eat it) is a breakfast choice but not until the 2nd 17 Day Cycle.

The diet is truly not just 17 days....it's a series of 17 day cycles...that revs up one's metabolism. Nothing unhealthy with any of it...just eating more natural foods, staying away from processed foods and bad carbs. It's 3 meals a day, 2 snacks. Of course, the 1st 17 Day cycle is the most restrictive.
Sorry that was my cynical side sneaking out.

I would be highly interested in these purported claims of reving up one's metabolism. I mean the author wouldn't just be making that up so clearly he must refer to some study that has been done to demonstrate that a specific combination of foods would cause someone's metabolism to increase.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #18  

I just read the book, it's not the diet itself so much... it's the fact that it's low calorie and fairly low carb, at least in the beginning. Basically, if you eat according to the plan, you'd land at around 1200 daily calories give or take for the first 17 days. That's low enough calories for many to lose on regardless of what they ate (or when) and given the fiber from the veggies and water and green tea that is required, that's going to help with weight loss as well.

It explains why some of the reviewers complain about being tired on the diet. That would be way low calories for me daily, and I'd get pretty cranky and headachy real quickly. I doubt it would be a good idea for anyone who is being VERY active as you could run your metabolism into the ground on calories this low! At least the doctor points out that you need not be very active and that you really only need to go walking once or twice a day (2X being optimal) for 17 minutes at a stretch.

That makes good sense. On really low calories, you don't want to be engaging in vigorous activity. He also suggests as calories and food choices increase later in the plan, to also increase activity. More good common sense.

The first 17 days is the strictest part, then he alternates strict days with days where you get an additional two servings of healthy carbohydrate, which would probably add in the range of 200-400 calories depending on the carb choice. At this point, you have basic carb and calorie cycling. It's still reasonably low cal in the second phase.

He adds more food choices in as you go, but none of this diet is really anything new. It's all about lowering calories and getting some exercise while eating healthy whole foods and drinking your water while avoiding added sugar. No magic or mystery. The diet is about eating frequent, smaller meals, about every 3 hours. Again, nothing new.

I have no doubt whatsoever it can work and work well, but I do doubt it's because of any special 17 day time frame, or anything like that. That's just marketing. This diet is just another way of keeping calories down and becoming more active while eating healthy. And keeping your body guessing a bit by alternating days of lower carb and higher carb. All the stuff we know can work, but don't always practice!

For those who haven't read the book, if you tackle this diet, you'll need to like your veggies. You also need to be willing to drink green tea and plain water. No added sugars, you are supposed to be moderate with salt and of course moderate with healthy fats as well. No calorie or carb counting is involved, just paying attention to when you are full and when you are hungry, so that's a plus. And it's not super low carb, because of allowing the two fruit and yogurt servings in the beginning phase.

Whether you really need the book to eat this way and lose weight is debatable, but the book is an easy read and the author's style pleasant. I think it was about 184 "pages" on my Nook e-reader. I don't see anything wrong with the plan but it might not be for everyone and that too, is nothing new on the diet scene.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #19  

Well said...... Sounds like it to me. Its not easy and no real diet is. The thing I do like about this is its healthy food. Lots of veggies. Good protein. and you're able to have 2 fruits a day. Its allot easier with the book to know which veggies and fruits, and protein's you can have in which cycle. Most diets work if you stick to them and change your eating habits. But I think the trick is to make it a lifestyle change and not a temporary way of eating.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #20  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 143/137/119

Height: 5'1"

Red face 17 day diet

Good review Graycyn.....yes it's not NEW info.....just a different approach and it's rather simple in form. I figure it can't hurt and maybe will be just the thing to start my body losing again....and a nice break from counting points for a couple weeks.
pvgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #21  
Super Mom

S/C/G: 250/250/115

So, are we "in"?
FitSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #22  

Red face 17 Day Diet

HI Sarah! I'm in.....this is only Day #2 for me but .....it went fine yesterday and probably....for the first time in my life....I wasn't hungry for some reason. Perhaps just a fluke!!!

Had 2 eggs this am and blueberries....after my hot lemon water. Step by step I guess. Can't see that it can do any harm. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #23  

I had a very late breakfast. Fiddled around this morning so finally just ate. Had a boiled egg, huge navel orange and hot green tea. This is D13C1 for me. Can't wait for C2. I've had a hard time the past couple of days but stayed with it. Can't wait to weigh tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #24  

I'm excited for you Toni...let us know!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #25  

Woo Hoo lost 2 lbs. for a total of 8 so far.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #26  

Good going Toni! Looks like 8 lbs. in 14 days...I'd say that's impressive. It's Day 3 for me and so far, so good. Can't believe that I'm not starving but I'm not. And surprisingly...I really enjoy the hot lemon water in the am and....even drinking my coffee black.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #27  

OMG, I'm so glad I found this, I just started this today. I have been trying forever to get back on southbeach but I last about 3-5 days so I'm hoping this will be the one that clicks with me
sluggo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #28  

Oh boy I've got to get busy on my water today. I've been running in and out all day and not drinking it. I usually don't have any trouble. Made me a taco salad for lunch. Its the last of my taco meat. Did get some tuna on sale today. I'm starting to get low on fruit.

sluggo- I've been struggling trying to lose weight and then I decided to try this because I've read so many good reviews on the 17DD. I can't believe I'm doing it. Hit just right with me. I hope you have good luck with it.

pvgal- You know I don't mind the lemon water at all either. I do have trouble just sticking to a couple cups of coffee in the morning. Sure am getting the veggies in. Thanks for the encouragement. Hope you're doing well today.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #29  

Hi Sluggo....Welcome!!! We're all just starting this...Toni is our "long-term" gal so far! It's very simple...yes restrictive but...for 17 days.....and results...YES! Good luck!

Toni..I am getting my water in and that's a 1st for me...as water has never been easy for me. Suddenly I want it! CHicken and green beans tonight....we'll see how tomorrow goes!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #30  

Hi everyone, well got thru yesterday YAY!!! My biggest problem is late at night when I crave sugar soooooooooooooo bad. Woke up at 1am and ate 3 individual cups of pears (the kind you buy for kiddos) I know that is not on plan and usually I would say oh well I messed up I'll just start next monday but not this time. I know I shouldn't have ate the pears but it still was better then a little debbie. Today is a new day and right now I'm eating my green apple. Good luck to everyone
sluggo44 is offline   Reply With Quote