Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 10:18 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Whatever has been going on today may not have been from the tart cherry. DH stomach was feeling funny yesterday and mine has been that way too besides the headache I had. Still haven't shaken it off completely as it is just a dull ache now. It is either drainage from sinus allergy or whatever. One thing it did is that it helped me stay OP today since I only ate enough to take meds etc. My pumpkin pie made with stevia was 4 pts and I counted 1 pt for my potato salad because of the sweet pickle relish. So I only had 5 weekly pts today so I am good.

It only took 15 minutes to cook our ham in the convection oven. It is like learning to cook all over again. I talked to my son today and he said that they are really loving cooking in their air fryer oven. In fact, my DIL was cooking and showing it the foods on FB that she was cooking in it and it made me want to get one too. I think I will really enjoy it once I get used to it.

Carol Sue I got something from WebMD today that I read that we shouldn't stress about the scale so much but that we should go buy how our clothes fit especially around our waist. I hope I can start thinking that way.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:36 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, my oven on my stove has a setting for convection but it doesn't really cook things faster, just more evenly. I never use my air fryer/toaster oven because DH wouldn't eat anything I make in it. I don't know why I got it but I wanted it because others on the LC forum were getting them. Same with the Chaffle. I went to the next town to get that and never used it. I don't even know where it is now. I am an old fashion cook.

I hope you feel better. I am up late because DH doesn't feel good. He thinks it is his blood pressure but he won't check it. He makes me angry. He gets me all upset about it but won't do a thing about it. So I'm going to read until he falls asleep. I'm never up this late.

My ham was really good. I definitely over ate today and I drank gallons of water to offset the sodium. Nothing else tasted good to me. I guess I don't like potato salad any more. I didn't even cook the Brussels sprouts because we didn't want them. We both said we are glad we didn't entertain today. We just aren't into that anymore.

I will read my book until I see that he turns off the tv or he might fall asleep with it on.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:01 AM   #93  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi all: Happy Holidays. Trish and Carol: Merry Christmas.
I am 163!!!! today. The eating and drinking of treats has really put me over. I am fasting today.
I have learned to enjoy cooking since becoming celiac and needing to make home cooked food for safety but I have to find a new purpose, because this is NOT good for me. I have resolved to avoid shopping until into the NEW year. We have enough fresh and frozen food to eat for a couple of weeks by my calculations. So not to worry.
DH and DD can cook and I will fast at least today, and maybe longer. I am putting away the yummy treats and the alcohol for another year, and am done.
Get back to good habits and when I eat, will eat healthy.
Start the resolutions before new years.

Off for a walk in the winter wonderland, we have about 6-8 inches. I will walk for now with the dog and DD and I will do a little x-c ski this afternoon.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #94  

Mad, I am 192.2 today, up 2 lbs from yesterday!! But there were no sweets or alcohol involved. It was sodium from the delicious ham so its fluid. But I'm not ready to stop eating the ham yet so it might be New Years Day before I'm back down. I'm not worried about fluid. I did not gain 2 lbs of fat while I slept. I can't wait until Jan 4 so the restaurants will reopen so I can go to Rodneys or Texas Roadhouse for salmon. That is my new favorite food. Next to that is the ham I had for Christmas. It is very moist, lean and tasty and I have another half in the freezer for next month. We've had ham that had a lot of fat, you had to trim it off each slice. Not this one!

Sometime this week I will venture down into my exercise room and reacquainted myself with my recumbent bike and treadmill. And the other things I have there that I've been neglecting. Today we probably have to venture into Wal-Mart. DH needs his bread and I need some health and beauty aids. The only crowds will be the vultures looking to scoop up the half-price Christmas supplies for next year.

Old 12-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #95  

Mad Sounds like you are feeling better walking the dog and ski with DD. Glad you enjoyed your holiday. We will all get back OP holidays are part of life and we learn to work around them. I did really well but #1 wasn't feeling my best and it was just DH and me and that made it easier than it would have been if I had been around family cooking goodies etc like Carol Sue does for her family.

Carol Sue I don't know if I will go to the store before Thursday when I go to the beauty shop. I can run in and get what I want then. However, DBIL is off until after New Years because they close up shop during Christmas holidays, so we might go out to eat and then DH and I can go by the store then. We will need to go to Sam's before too long to get tomatoes and I hope they will have my SLMGB. Come to find out DH likes it better than the Walmart 100$ Whole Wheat and I have to say that I do to. I am eating it right now because it is 0 pt as is SLMGB on SFPP plan so he can have the SLMGB that we have now. The only thing I really want to get at the store is buttermilk. I'm not sure if it is a preference or why but most of the recipes that are air fried use buttermilk with breadcrumbs or batter. I don't know if it is flavor or maybe it helps seal in the moisture of the meat. I will get low fat buttermilk to use.

My low point Christmas dinner and dessert paid off. I am back down 1 lb to 189.4 today. I was so surprised and excited to see that number. Not a weight loss because that is where I was stuck before I bounced back up to 190.4. But my goal is to end the year in the 180s so hoping I can keep it.

For years Saturday was my WI day and although I like Friday being my WI day now that we go out with DS & DBIL on the Friday's they are off and in town, I think I will keep Saturday as my WI. I will just have to be very careful when we go out on Fridays knowing I have to weigh the next day or skip it. I will see how it goes. Fridays are difficult because I get up so early that day to go to beauty shop. I guess it doesn't matter because I gained weight this week regardless. I either gained 2 lbs if I do Friday or only 1 lb if I make today my WI day. Any way if I can stay at thua 189.4, I will have lost 18.8 lbs last year. That isn't much, but it has really been a struggle to get here. I hope I will be able to do better in 2021. I remember being disappointed one time in SC because I had lost only 38 lbs but my doctor was proud of me. I don't know if age or stress or what has slowed things down this year or not, but I will try to do better this next year.

Mad I decided not to wait until January to get on board with things either. I don't do resolutions because no one keeps them. I woke up this morning and did about 15 or 20 minutes of my calisthenics and 20 minutes on the recumbent bike. I ate a1 pt breakfast after all my exercise. I want to keep things lower in calorie and carbs but not counting either.. We will have left over ham today. I'm going to make mine into a chef like salad with ham and low fat cheese. I will divide the rest of it into portions future meals and save some for our breakfast on Sundays.

Carol Sue they tell us at WW to get ham that has lower sodium for 2 oz. I think they said less than 700 mg. I think I got one with count in 600 mg range. I will see if I can see that post on FB where they mentioned it to be sure I'm correct on that. I got this one at our local store and I hope I can find it again because it has no fat in it either making it a perfect WW food. The last one we got was at Sam's Club and it had a lot of fat and grisly.

Have a blessed day everybody.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 12-26-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #96  

Trish, I only buy ham on Christmas and Easter. I have been buying this particular store brand ham for years and don't think I will ever change. They are usually lean. I won't worry about the sodium in something I only eat twice a year. I recently changed the way I cook it and its a big improvement. I used to bake it open, with no lid. Now I use a roast pan with a lid and put a cup of water in the pan for moisture. It creates steam. Then I take the lid off for 30 minutes to brown a bit. Step son does this using ginger ale and orange juice and cooks it on low overnight but I won't cook overnight. I find water does the same thing.

I know that a big part of my weight problem is I eat what I want. I don't purposely look for lower sodium, lower fat or lower anything. I want QUANTITY to make the difference. This is why eating only when hungry and trying to stop when satisfied is so important to me. It is what I want to aim for but don't always reach.

Good for you on not gaining, Trish! You win the prize!

Today I am making the chicken broccoli Alfredo. DH said "No potatoes?". I told him he can have potatoes with it if he wants. I commented that he has to have potatoes everyday and he,said " You have to have eggs every day." I told him I only eat the eggs because he cooks them and he said he will NEVER cook them again. Fat chance! Lets see how long he goes without cooking eggs in the morning! I told him he would be doing me a BIG favor!
Old 12-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #97  

Trish, I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing you for looking for lower sodium or lower points foods. You are doing great and this is working so well for you! It is difficult for me since DH does not like when I change things. And I myself don't like to give up things I've loved for years. I just have to find a different way around it.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #98  

Carol Sue I bought the ham with lower sodium because I can have 2 oz for 0 pts. Otherwise, I seldom think that much about it unless it is 1000+ mg per serving. I don't think I even knew there was a ham with less.

When we lived around DH kids, we always had a turkey for Christmas and ham for New Years, but DH doesn't care for the turkey any more and I don't want to have to deal with the carcass after deboning it plus it makes life easier for me since I don't have to cook that much any more. Much different from years past when I was cooking from 2 weeks before Thanksgiving up until a week after New Years. However, I do miss having kids around. I am thankful that DH is getting back into eating healthier again so we can work at this together.

Y'all's discussion over the potatoes and eggs sounds like something DH and I would do. LOL Have a great day dear friend.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #99  

The chicken,broccoli, Alfredo was good. I used 5 chicken tenders that I browned on my grill pan. They are small and cook quickly. I used a packet of Knorr noodles with Alfredo sauce and it was just enough for the two of us with frozen broccoli. I will do it that way in the future. The jar of Alfredo sauce would be too much for us.

DH has had ham for Christmas all his life so that's what he wants. Once we went to step sons and had standing rib roast but we still had our ham at home. Growing up we always had turkey. One year there was no money so that year we had spaghetti. Someone at the church found out and from then on we got groceries from the church every Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't think my mother liked ham. I don't remember her ever having it.

They keep saying on the news that people are having a hard time putting food on the table. They should come to my house...there's always too much!
Old 12-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #100  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi friends: I did know that 163 was a temporary bump, but those numbers are a wake up call. I was 159.5 this am. I am planning to eat today, likely 2MAD and hope to fast again tomorrow. Unless I do OMAD both today and tomorrow. DH will walk the dog this am. I will likely do another little ski this am and dog walk pm. The yoga is both stretch and some "weight" training, as I do the planks and such so good for my arms. Same with the skiing I am also more sore in the arms from the poling.
I need to do this more regularly.
I have to say, favourite thing this holiday was the crossword we did as a family. Was a giant holiday crossword that DD printed off, we all took part with different people getting different clues. DD no longer wants to play board games, so this is our new thing I guess. There is something about that time together that is fun and relaxing, with lots of joking and laughter. Meant more to me than any material gift.
I am glad to see everyone planning their exercise and fitness and looking at healthy eating plans.
we all need it.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #101  

Good for you for coming back down, Mad. My weight continued up another lb to 193. This is so predictable it's actually funny. It happens every time I get down to 190. I'm starting to believe that I'm not losing weight at all, just having normal fluctuations. I guess I'll have to do something about that. Change something. True to his word, DH did not cook breakfast but I finished off the ham. If/when I go back to eating breakfast I want it to be 1 egg and 1 slice of toast like I used to eat before DH started cooking. He always cooks more food than needed and I always eat more to compensate. I will not eat breakfast every day so my body does not adapt to getting food at the same time every day. I will throw in some steel cut outs once in a while for variety.

Your crosswords sound fun. My friend and her son do jigsaw puzzles.

Exercise is still in planning stage. It is always a huge procrastination even though I know it is a great mood booster and I am always glad I did it afterwards. But I have to embrace the suck to get started. I have some nice workout clothes. I'll get them out and ready. They are not necessary when exercising at home but give my ego a boost. I keep them in the exercise room so they are there when needed, plus that's close to the laundry room when they need to be washed. This is my preparation thinking. Maybe tomorrow is the day.

The chicken I cooked yesterday turned out good. I do not usually prefer white meat but those tenderloins are small so they cook through quickly. Maybe I can get DH to eat them more often. He will be ok as long as I make lots of potatoes to go with it.

I ordered a used paperback and it never arrived. Amazon says its delayed. I looked into it further and found that I ordered it from a small bookstore in Harrisburg PA. Their website says they are temporarily closed but do curbside pick up on weekends. If they are in a college town that might be why they are closed, especially over the holidays. So I can't order from someone else in case it does come eventually. Amazon says I can request a refund if not received by the 30th.

Pipsicle should be checking in today.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:49 AM   #102  

Mad I knew you wouldn't be at 163 for long. I was sure as you got back to your fasting that it would be resolved. The crossword game sounds like fun. You are right about the laughter. I know when we went to visit my niece last summer that we played a game and it was so much fun and refreshing. DH#2s family always played games when we got together. It sure makes life so much more fun. My baby sister and I want to get together and do that when they move back next spring.

Carol Sue Maybe with DH not making eggs you will be able to help him learn to ask you instead of just assuming. I think his making them was his way of loving you. I remember how DH#2 used to wake me up with a cup of coffee when he was ready for me to get up. It always seemed to be days when I was tired and wanted to sleep in. I am so thankful for that wonderful memory now and so thankful that he never knew that I ever got upset about it. How I would love it if I could have another cup of his coffee. They just don't think like we do. My DH now only does things like that for me if I am sick. LOL Sounds like you got your plan for your exercise ready in your mind. Now we have to follow through with our plans.

Weight is up to 190 which means it is just bouncing around right now so hopefully a loss is coming. We ate the rest of the potato salad yesterday with a serving of the ham and green peas. Then we both had a slice of our pies. I'm sure the bounce this morning isn't really a gain, but to be sure I threw out the rest of my pumpkin pie. Better for it to be down the the disposal than around my waist. I will cook air fried tilapia, carrots and a salad today. I sure would love to be solidly in the 180s on January 1st. I am not planning to exercise everyday. Today is a day off and I will do it tomorrow. I've decided to exercise like I did in SC. I used to exercise 1st thing in the morning before I even had a cup of coffee and I was more faithful to it that way so will go back to doing that again. I plan to do it 3 or 4 days a week. I've learned when I overdo the exercise that it makes me hungry and it works against me instead of for me.

I also have found that I need to make a food plan for the whole day with 2 meals and a snack or I'll be looking for something I don't need to be eating. I intend to do relax and just do the plan and enjoy it in 2021. Life is too short to keep agonizing and worrying about food and weight loss. I am 77 years old and I have better things to spend my time on than thinking about a diet all the time.

Have a nice day.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #103  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Angry Confirmed loss in danger!

Mad: Good job! The crossword sounds fun!
Carol: Definitely a victory with breakfast this morning!
Trish: Seems like you are set to roll into 2021 with a plan!

Having a bad month so far and only a few days to get it turned around. My weight was up three pounds from my side bar (puts me at -25 lbs vs. -28 lbs). I haven't seen this weight since November 3. My intent was to work really hard this month. The typical happened when I have this thought to work really hard- I ran straight off the rails. It is such strange behavior. Unfortunately, I am likely looking at a gain this month. I just need to try to make it as small as possible!

My Christmas was really good and we had a lot of fun. The kiddo pet sat a friend's dog. He got along well with our pets, even the cats. However, he kept barking at my husband. Our 'house guest' goes home this afternoon. We received a lovely surprise from our new neighbors. They gave us eggs from their hens. We share a back fence with them. One of our dogs loves watching the chickens. The dog is so funny she lines her eye up with a knothole and then switches to line up her nose with the knothole. She repeats this several times in a row-haha. I've been trying to catch it on video.

Winter thread results summary: |
Old 12-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #104  

Pipsicle, I would love to taste fresh eggs. I bought cagefree once because they were on sale and I liked them. There used to be an egg farmer down the road but it is now an industrial park.

Trish, I think when exercise makes you hungry its because you burned off all your stored glucose. This is why I never exercise on an empty stomach. I eat at least something small. Exercise reduces my appetite!
Old 12-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #105  

Trish, this story was on tv this morning. This woman lost 200 lbs in 2 years. On tv they didn't say she lost it on WW but it says it in the online article. Three things, she is younger, and started out at a higher weight and was not already dieting when she started. She lost 11 lbs the first week and 5 lbs a week after that. Amazing and inspiring. I think everyone would succeed if they could lose 5 lbs a week!

I am back to weighing daily. 192 this am. Down 1 lb from yesterday but still up 3 lbs from 189. Weighing only once a week was causing stress I think, not knowing. Its just a number. I have been reading self help books I'm getting free from Amazon. Their strategies don't apply to me because I have started eating when I'm not hungry again. Too many leftovers and ready to eat food sitting around. They cannot tell me how many calories I should be eating or what size portions,because if I eat for reasons other than hunger its too much for my body and it stores it as fat.

Today is DHs birthday. 78 years old. He never thought he would live this long because his father died at 60. But his mother lived to 85. I feel bad because restaurants are closed and we can't go out to eat for his birthday. We will go next week when they reopen. He loves Texas Roadhouse.
Closed Thread