Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Mad, so a "canadian" party is a costume party?
Old 01-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #122  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

at Rie. I think they are dressing up because of a new Canadian - just for fun. I'm drooling thinking of the Quebecois cooking though. I'm sure glad Mad is not doing that good stuff.

BGL up a tad to 5.6 this morning because I did not take glyburide last night. Duh! I guess I still need the tiny dose I've been taking - half a 2.5 mg tablet.

I need to get my sleep straightened out. Once again I woke at 4 for potty and the brain went into full speed ahead. I had been taking Melatonin but the very vivid dreams are getting to me. Maybe switch to something else?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good Morning Chickies,

This has been a busy week. DH had a doctor's appt with digestive doc and we learned that DH has a protein c & s deficiency. Searched it on line and DH is going to have to force himself to start moving around more or he won't get any better. Don't know if I can sell him on that one or not. Sure hope his DD or one of his other docs can help convince him. Sure hope something will click for him.

Yesterday was kind of a carby day, but today will be a lot less. Go this afternoon to get my hair color back to red... color I was born with. Highlighting has begun to damage my hair and the gray is more than the blonde so I'm ready for a change.

Ruthie I used to take Melatonin but it got to where it left me groggy the next day. So had to give it up. Can't take sleeping pills either. I took half of an over the counter sleeping pill night before last and was in a fog all day yesterday. Just don't do well with anything like that.

fatmad Your party sounds like fun. Hope you had a good time.

Rie So glad no one was hurt in the accident. Sounds like you had a stressful day. Hope you have a great day today.

aliasihaya I agree that this is truly a confusing disease. About the time I think I've got it under control, I don't seem to. My FBS always reads a little high (all over the place). It can be 150s one day and 110 the next. However, when I go for my 3 month checkup, it is normal. My doc who is very caring says the A1c is the most accuratge so doesn't seem to worried about my morning readings. I have checked it during the day and it is always good. I've read that what it reads later in the day is most important. I still work at it and have recently decided that losing weight would do more to bring it into control than anything else. So I've made the weight loss my main focus. You will learn that we each have to take control of our own situation and find what works for us. One size doesn't fit all. My doc told me that any diet will work and the key is finding a diet that you can live with. Good luck on your journey.

Bonnie, Lindyloo, Chipper and others reading

Y'all have a great Friday.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #124  

Good Morning All!

fbs at 84 this morning. I was on plan with eating yesterday, maybe a little low. I am proud of that as I felt a little munchy but I resisted. I ate two hard boiled eggs with lunch salad and I think that really helped. It is a little chaotic here this morning so I will wait until dgs heads off to school before I work out.

Ruth, thanks for the clarifier on the party! I am with you on waking for potty and then not being able to get back to sleep. Today, I was able to drift back into sleep but most days my brain engages and I struggle. As for the dreams, I do better with valerian root for sleep. Melatonin never really worked well for me. Actually, on work days, I often take Ambien - I have been doing that for a long time. I know that there are consequences to sleeping pills but there are consequences to sleep deprivation. However, I usually just take the valerian on weekends.

Trish, good luck on your busy day. I am sure that you will enjoy your new hair. Like you, over the last few years I have shifted from the overly blonde and highlighted hair of my whole life. I am a blend of browns, red, and a few golden highlights. It covers my emerging grays nicely!

Mad, I hope you enjoyed the party last night. Did you have room in your points for a couple of party treats?

I am expecting a new shipment of wonderslim stuff today. I use the shakes to make low calorie heavy protein smoothies. I rely on the bars when I am playing in pool tournaments and have no access to healthy food. I can't seem to find anything local with the right blend of taste, low carb/calories and high protein. It is the only "frankenfood" that I eat.

Aliasihaya, this is a confusing disease. One of the struggles is that we each have to experiment to learn how our particular bodies react to different foods. For me, I didn't get good control of my bs, including mornings until I lost weight. I have been working at that for almost 18 months now. My weight loss has slowed a lot in the last few months, and I currently hope for a loss of one pound per month. Of course, I do not consider myself to be on a "diet" and I intend to eat this way forever...... Keep posting and asking questions.

Bonnie, hoping you got the wii hooked up. You will be dancing and marching your way into good health soon!

Lindyloo, are you taking a trip next week because you need dog sitters? Fun!

Well, ds and gds are finally out the door. I am going to work out and then finish my breakfast. Later!

Rie

Old 01-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Rough morning for me. My biggest challenge against weight loss are my depression issues. Today was an off day for me so I did a pseudo binge. But not a full on binge so at least I can say that I didn't give in fully to the cravings. But I am really hoping that losing some weight will help with getting my numbers under control. But fighting against so many physical problems makes it soo difficult which I'm sure you all understand. I was going to avoid logging my binge today since my nutritionist sees it, but then suddenly came to the conclusion to stop lying to myself and those around me. By not logging it, it becomes a lie. I need to lay it all out on the table for good or bad or I'm never going to get the help that I need. So epiphany day even while being depressed. That's a first for me.

Riemontana - You use valerian root? My sister recently told me about it and suggested that I use it for sleep. I had never heard about it. My issues center around what I call dreaming too hard. Having strong dreams so that I wake up exhausted as if I was awake all night. My sister thinks this will calm that. What is your experience with it? Do you think that it really helps? My other problem is waking up and then my mind starts racing so that I can't get back to sleep. But I don't think there's any magic pill for that.

pattygirl63 - Good for you about the color change. My hair color is the one thing that I feel like I can control on my body so I've dyed it for the last 15 years. My opinion is that hair is just another accessory. And it's always good to change up your accessories every now and then. I'm currently dark red after being blonde for 6 months. I've found as I've gotten older that I prefer the darker colors now instead of the light. Or maybe it's just a personality thing. :-)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #126  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Ruth: lower dose of melatonin (the liquid drops easier to lower dose) or 5 HTP instead? I find the herbal insomnia prep works well for middle of night stuff, although I am not as prone to that as I used to be.

Re the Canadian Party: some in costume, (we went as Bob and Doug McKenzie, for those who know this old comedy routine) there was also a superman, and a Frederick Banting. Everyone brought something fun, we played a Canadian trivia game, we had Martin recite the "I am Canadian" rant, (an alternative citizen ship oath, courtesy of Molson's the beer makers) and bestowed upon him a graduation robe (northern tartan) and a B EH, (as opposed to a BA) degree. ALl in good fun.
As usual I over indulged on the party food, inspite of eating a good supper before hand. Have been trying to figure myself out, will never be able to keep weight off until I can conquer this.
I appreciate being able to whine about that here. I do this over and over, and I don't seem to have found the way to keep this problem in check, but until I do, I will not have long term success. I may go late to Lilia's birthday party, and even leave early, and just go over and have some time with the baby during the week, to avoid the food temptations.

Trish: I hope DH will get a bit more active and get his health into control. You two are sure having issues this year. Hugs and prayers going your way.

A big hello to all.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #127  
Madeleine

by the way Ruth, I love your Icon, with "mon pay c'est l'hiver". And no, I didn't make any quebecois tasts tempting foods, which is good because I overindulged on the usual stuff, imagine if there was tarte sucre in the room? Diabetic coma.....
Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #128  

Hello friends

In case you guys come back tonight, I want to comment and offer some support.

aliasihaya, yes, honesty with yourself and others is the first step to great progress. The only advice I can offer is to drink plenty of water and get back on plan as soon as you can. Don't do the "I will do better tomorrow, Monday, next week...." try to be on plan now. It happens, but progress is about how well you recover. Hang in there.

Mad I don't know what to say except I have given up on the plan to eat dinner before I go to an event effort. It doesn't seem to help me. I usually just try to have some low calorie protein and then accept that I am going to eat, drink and be merry. I hope this gets better for you. It sounds like such a great party.

Rie

Old 01-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #129  
Madeleine

Thanks Rie:I do better when I can get away from the food. Unfortunately, last night we were in a smaller house and there wasn't a good way to be away from it. I have to learn not to eat everything in sight. At home and work I put things away, and while this is a good technique, I still have trouble when food is in front of me.
When I was young I could eat anything and not gain weight, BUT, I don't think I was unable to stop eating. I think I ate a lot of stuff, but ate what I liked, and didn't eat stuff I didn't like much. I didn't have good eating habits, but not the uncontrolled eating I can do now. DOn't know quite how I got to this point, but will keep trying to figure out what to do to help this.
Thanks for the support. have a good night ladies.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #130  
Madeleine

Hi Aliasihaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasihaya View Post
Thanks everyone for the welcome. Rough morning for me. My biggest challenge against weight loss are my depression issues. Today was an off day for me so I did a pseudo binge. But not a full on binge so at least I can say that I didn't give in fully to the cravings. But I am really hoping that losing some weight will help with getting my numbers under control. But fighting against so many physical problems makes it soo difficult which I'm sure you all understand. I was going to avoid logging my binge today since my nutritionist sees it, but then suddenly came to the conclusion to stop lying to myself and those around me. By not logging it, it becomes a lie. I need to lay it all out on the table for good or bad or I'm never going to get the help that I need. So epiphany day even while being depressed. That's a first for me.

This is great that you have realized this. Its a breakthrough. There is a thread for bingers by the way. Denial is a problem for most overweight people, and getting past it gets you past a major hurdle to weight loss. Good for you for admitting it. Its hard, we know, but your honesty to yourself is great.

Riemontana - You use valerian root? My sister recently told me about it and suggested that I use it for sleep. I had never heard about it. My issues center around what I call dreaming too hard. Having strong dreams so that I wake up exhausted as if I was awake all night. My sister thinks this will calm that. What is your experience with it? Do you think that it really helps? My other problem is waking up and then my mind starts racing so that I can't get back to sleep. But I don't think there's any magic pill for that.

Valerian is a wonderful herb. It is the major ingredient in herbal remedies for anxiety and insomnia. I use it sometimes for the middle of the night waking as well. Melatonin is useful to help people sleep through longer. (Its available OTC in Canada, not sure about the US) 5 HTP is a form of tryptophan that helps people sleep too. These are all fairly safe remedies, no major side effects. They work to varying degrees for different people, so if you decide to try anything, make sure you can sleep after taking it. My husband finds that he has trouble waking up in the morning and needs 9-10 hours to sleep after taking any of the above remedies, but I find they just help me rest and can get up and go to work if needed.

Other OTC sleep aids are usually based on antihistamines that cause drowsiness. (Unisom uses bedectin, and gravol and benedryl are also used in some brands) They can have a stronger effect and may make it harder to wake up. Side effects like dry mouth are common, and so are nightmares for some people at some dosages. Another side effect is to have opposite effects at certain doses. A full gravol for instance, can make some people hyper active, yet they fall asleep if they just take 1/2 a tab, so finding the right dosage for you is important.

)
Old 01-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I haven't been here for a while, but now I have a puzzling question. My FBS runs around 120-127 normally and depending on what I eat, it may go as high as 140. I am going for a CT scan today so I am to hold my Metformin until 48 hours after the test. Last night I ate pizza. Not a lot, but pizza usually raises my FBS significantly and I didn't take the Metformin. This morning I tested and I was 108. I don't get it. I'm NEVER 108 unless I have gone a really long time without eating for some reason. Things like this are why I just don't understand diabetes.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #132  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Mad, Your last post is a tad mixed up. I think you replies within the quotes. I checked my stash and I do have tincture of Valeriana! Any idea as to the amount for my first dose.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Thanks fatmad! Great information. I think my sister wants me to use the valerian for help as a destresser. She mentioned using less than I would if I wanted to use it for insomnia. My doctor gave me some ativan to help me with that, but I'm hesitant to get reliant on a drug like that. Besides the fact that I tried one of them and didn't feel anything from it. Probably a dose issue. But regardless I'm not too fond of needing one more medication in my life.

I think this morning my blood sugar is getting back to normal after my pseudo binge yesterday. Yesterday it was up over 260. Now its back down to 140 my normal fbs. Now I have to figure out how to get back on track. That's going to be hard just because we got some snow last night (little compared to the more northern states), but I generally like to hole up in the house and not do anything. My normal behavior is to take that time to sit, eat, and watch tv. I need to figure out how to break that behavior. The good thing is that I don't have any junk food in the house so I don't really have anything to binge on. That's helpful. So we'll see how today goes.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #134  

Hello friends.

fbs at a steady 81 this morning. I did low impact aerobics with my "friend" Gilad on a dvd. I have been exercising with him on the tv for ages. I added some hand weights to the toning section and WOW, I was sweating and mentally begging for it to be over.

This afternoon my ds, and some of his young friends who are fathers are bringing their young kids out to the farm to go sledding. We have some old sleds that we will pull behind my dad's large 4 wheeler. It should be fun.

Ruth, I buy valerian at the health food store in tablet form so I cant help with a a tincture dose. I don't get dreams from taking this although I do get them from benadryl. For me, the best thing about valerian is that I can take it if I wake at 1am and can't return to sleep. It seems to be out of my system in about 4 hours.

Mad, oh how I wish I had the metabolism of my youth! I was working on my family's farm, raising kids, going to school. I certainly wasn't thin but I was strong, fit and carried tons of lean muscle. I ate like the men that I worked with and enjoyed every bite. My lifestyle, and my sluggish metabolism, just doesn't support that kind of eating anymore. I have absolute faith that you will find your way.

Aliasihaya, I think you are correct to avoid the use of ativan unless you really need it. Follow your dr advice but that class of medications can be very seductive and easy to over-use. Remember, any movement is helpful. I used to sit with a soup can in my hand and do bicep curls while watching tv. Or, make yourself get up and march in place during comercials. You can do this if you start taking baby steps.

Carol Sue, This is such a confusing disease! I guess it is possible that the pizza fit in an overall balance of carbs and protein with fat that didn't cause you a spike. Or, maybe it caused a real high last night and your body had fought to bring back balance this morning. Thinking good thoughts about you today.

Bonnie, Chipper, Lindy, Enjoy the day!

Rie
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #135  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Rie no I havn't gotten the wii hooked up yet But I have been walking I walked two miles yesterday and a mile the day before. I am waiting to see if it is gonna rain today But I am getting it hooked up if I have to corner the hubby to do it for me. I have been eating better but I am getting the urge to go find something I dont need to eat. I weighed in yesturday and I am up 6 pounds not bad for the two months I havnt been able to exercise and be on plan. I will get back into it I have to go to the Doc next week for my yearly blood so I must be getting back into the working out..

Willing to hear encourgment from anyone I dont need to go check the cabinets to see what I can have we are still unpacking and storing stuff in the garage The last two days we have been working on the aunts fridge it froze up and leaking water all over the place . Thank god we have three of them here so we werent out nothing . Well I better be running My aunt is wanting to go to take some cloths to the cleaners and do some errands but I will be back.

Oh yeah besides the fridge going out the internet modem went out too.... Too many things happening at once....
Closed Thread